Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

I hope this post will be the definitive answer to those like me who live in one of the surrounding provinces of Bangkok and would like to use Suan Plu for immigration needs. Last Friday I had to extend my Non-Imm O retirement visa and spent enough time there to gather sufficient information to pass on. First of all, rooms 507 and 509 are now known as the Central Region Immigration Center which a big sign on the wall states. Room 507 is for 90-day reporting and room 509 is for visa extensions. They only process people who live in the following provinces: Pathumthani, Nonthaburi, Saraburi, Chainat, Lopburi, Ang Thong, Singburi, and Ayuthaya. And they appear to be very strict about this. In fact, while I was there a guy from Kanchanaburi came in and was told he had to go to Mae Sot. Also, there is no need to get a queue number downstairs in the lobby when you enter the building because they have their own queue system upstairs. For 90-day reports there is a box outside the room where you deposit your passport and form. The officer will come out from time to time, collect them, bring them inside, process them in a batch, and then hand them back individually by calling out your name. Last time I was there, she collected about ten passports which were in the box, processed them all, and handed them back within 15 minutes. It's a much speedier process than downstairs in my opinion. If you have to extend your visa, just go into room 509 and take a queue number from the box on the desk to the right of the door and have a seat. In the space of an hour while I was there I only saw 10 numbers being taken. It certainly beats the long waits of room 101 by a mile. Anyway, if you live in Nonthaburi or Pathumthani, etc. and were worried that the new rules would be a pain in the you-know-what, you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that these new rules may have worked in our favor giving us much shorter waits in the immigration circus.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O..now I am confused..I live in Nonthaburi and was going to go to Ayutthaya on Monday to extend my permission to stay...Suppose I'll try Room 509...worst case is a trip to Ayutthaya on Tuesday I guess...I'll let you know what happens.

They only process people who live in the following provinces: Pathumthani, Nonthaburi, Saraburi, Chainat, Lopburi, Ang Thong, Singburi, and Ayuthaya. And they appear to be very strict about this.

You are completely sure this list is correct? I really want Nakorn Pathom to be in there as well!

They only process people who live in the following provinces: Pathumthani, Nonthaburi, Saraburi, Chainat, Lopburi, Ang Thong, Singburi, and Ayuthaya. And they appear to be very strict about this.

You are completely sure this list is correct? I really want Nakorn Pathom to be in there as well!

Samut Sakhon.

As an addendum to my previous post and the questions which followed, let me just say that I can read Thai and as I sat waiting to be processed I copied down the names of the provinces which were listed on the announcement which was posted on the wall outside room 509. Those were the eight provinces which were listed. And sorry, Nakorn Prathom was not among them.

As an addendum to my previous post and the questions which followed, let me just say that I can read Thai and as I sat waiting to be processed I copied down the names of the provinces which were listed on the announcement which was posted on the wall outside room 509. Those were the eight provinces which were listed. And sorry, Nakorn Prathom was not among them.

Thanks for that, even though it wasn't the answer I wanted.

O..now I am confused..I live in Nonthaburi and was going to go to Ayutthaya on Monday to extend my permission to stay...Suppose I'll try Room 509...worst case is a trip to Ayutthaya on Tuesday I guess...I'll let you know what happens.

So we got to immigration about 10:45am and walked straight up to room 509 and were given No16 ticket. We were seen within five minutes.

I think the very pleasant lady who dealt with me was a little new, she spent some time reading my British Embassy letter and then needed to confirm what GBP was, maybe the British Embassy should us £UK in their letters. She then went and thummed through pages of a newspaper many times, after about five minutes of watching I walked over and quietly said fifty baht to one GBP is ok for me...almost a big smile.

She then had to fill in, two or three pages of, what looked like a profile form, asking the names of my parents, where I was born etc. etc.

I asked if she would place my extension stamp on a certain page in my passport, she did it very neatly and using the smaller of the two stamp option sizes. Passport is getting full. There is still room on that page for next years extension, so three years of stamps on one page.

Including paying and waiting for someone else to record some of my details again we were in and out within twenty five minutes. Whilst there I sat next to some poor guy, with his Thai wife, who had been waiting downstairs for two and a half hours only to be told to come to this room and he didn’t even know that wife’s income is no good any more for ‘Thai wife visa’. He should read Thaivisa I guess.

The office staff there said that this facility, for Nonthaburi etc, will not be moving to the new location on Chaengwattana, but staying where it is.

I think the very pleasant lady who dealt with me was a little new, she spent some time reading my British Embassy letter and then needed to confirm what GBP was, maybe the British Embassy should us £UK in their letters. She then went and thummed through pages of a newspaper many times, after about five minutes of watching I walked over and quietly said fifty baht to one GBP is ok for me...almost a big smile.

This was a retirement extension, right?

The British Embassy usually (the last two occasions) puts my income in Thai Baht in the letter, GBP are not mentioned. I've also found them amenable to using any exchange rate you can reasonably justify. I like this because it removes one point of discussion from the visit to immigration.

So we got to immigration about 10:45am and walked straight up to room 509 and were given No16 ticket. We were seen within five minutes.

She then had to fill in, two or three pages of, what looked like a profile form, asking the names of my parents, where I was born etc. etc.

I asked if she would place my extension stamp on a certain page in my passport, she did it very neatly and using the smaller of the two stamp option sizes. Passport is getting full. There is still room on that page for next years extension, so three years of stamps on one page.

Including paying and waiting for someone else to record some of my details again we were in and out within twenty five minutes. Whilst there I sat next to some poor guy, with his Thai wife, who had been waiting downstairs for two and a half hours only to be told to come to this room and he didn’t even know that wife’s income is no good any more for ‘Thai wife visa’. He should read Thaivisa I guess.

The office staff there said that this facility, for Nonthaburi etc, will not be moving to the new location on Chaengwattana, but staying where it is.

You said: "Whilst there I sat next to some poor guy, with his Thai wife, who had been waiting downstairs for two and a half hours only to be told to come to this room and he didn’t even know that wife’s income is no good any more for ‘Thai wife visa’. He should read Thaivisa I guess."

This is a good example of how expat unfriendly Thailand has become.

Just one year ago, several expats with Thai wives (including me) decided to start businesses for their wives in order to meet the joint income rule (a change at that time that was seen as positive).

Now, they are discovering that the wife's income is no longer "good." It is, in fact, considered worthless for the purpose of getting a visa extension.

This has to be one of the worst immigration system on the planet. And, for some odd reason, they seem to be attacking expats with wives.......guess they have run off most of the low to middle income long-stay tourists.

If this pattern continues, they will no doubt start taking a look at the grandfathered-in rules. Or perhaps they will start cracking down on expats who are purchasing and renting out condos without work permits.

As many of us have said before.........the bar continues to be raised...........and you may be next on their list.

Why they are doing this, especially at a time when they need foreign dollars, is a total mystery to me.

The "good news" is that they are making officials in Cambodia, Philippines, Lao, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia very happy........along with several expat friendly countries in South America.

how expat are you? Many many places over the year change the Policies and Laws, then find they don't work and then keep changing them again and again..

Years ago [before the EEC] in France they made Strict Changes In Immigration, people simply left and moved to Spain, some like me moved to Portugal I stuck it out as long as I could in France, the few that stayed in France told me they kept changing the rules more or less every month over time until it was back to the 'old' rules......... by that time most that had moved out were settled and had no wish to move back........

Maybe Thailand will look at the people leaving and the reasons and start changing some things back again? There again TIT :o

.I'll let you know what happens. WHAT HAPPENED????

• 4 weeks later...

Samut Sakhon.

My 90 day report was due last week. Despite indications to the contrary I decided to try Suan Phlu since I go to Bangkok most weeks and I have never been to Samut Sakorn.

Went to Room 507, fully expecting to get the bum's rush, and handed in my form and passport. Five minutes later the official emerged and, instead of giving me a b*ll*cking for wasting her time, handed me back my passport with the completed acknowledgement slip from the bottom of the form.

Will it will be the same story when I go back for another 90 day report in August, or at the end of the year to renew my extension? Your guess is as good as mine!

I think that Nakorn Pathom is included in those that can use room 507.

Of course things could change before the end of the year. Immigration may not even be in the same place if they move as they have announced.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I've missed the point or not, or if this is any use to anyone. I live on Koh Phangan and my visa was issued by Koh Samui immigration. According to the list posted here residents of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan must use Koh Samui immigration. I found this list while on the ferry to Don Sak, en route to Suratthani on other business but with the intention of doing my 90 day sign in at the immigration office in Suratthani.

My understanding is that this would not be permitted under these rules, but since I was there anyway I thought I would try. No problem whatsoever. In fact the lady who helped me explained the fact that I had to reappear before Sep 30 'at any immigration office'.

Or maybe this isn't covered by these new stricter regulations and I've completely missed the point.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Not that it will affect me for a few years, since I moved back the U.S. in October, but I did have a retirement visa with my Thai wife and kept it for a few years while living in Chiang Mai because the offices in Chiang Mai issued retirement visas but not marriage visas (I would have had to go to Bangkok for one). Has this changed?

Chiang Mai issue every kind of extension.

I live in Phitsanulok and now have to go to Nan to get the yearly retirement extension. Phitsanulok is 300 Kilometers from Nan. Tak is 140 Kilometers from Phitsanulok. A much easier drive. Can I change to reporting at Tak, and how can I do this?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Location of Lop Buri Thai Immigration

The location of the Lop Buri Thai Immigration office is Latitude: 14°47'55.49"N Longitude: 100°39'4.35"E.

It is located in the Lop Buri Police Department compound with an entrance off of one the round-abouts. As you enter the compound, you will see the fairly new 4 story Police Department Building directly in front of you; the older 2 story Thai Immigration building is to the right and slightly to the rear (large sign on the front of the building). Go up to the second floor and turn right.

Their phone number is 036-424686.

Its a little hard to locate the first time but Google Earth and the latitude and longitude location should do the trick.

It would be for everything. To use the office you should have evidence you are in the area but that could be a hotel bill, a friend, or it may not be asked at all. As this is a new office do not believe many, if any, regular readers have extended a tourist visa there yet. It is directly off the Highway 1 circle on the route into city center.

MAP

It would be for everything. To use the office you should have evidence you are in the area but that could be a hotel bill, a friend, or it may not be asked at all. As this is a new office do not believe many, if any, regular readers have extended a tourist visa there yet. It is directly off the Highway 1 circle on the route into city center.

MAP

I've marked the building in a post on the Central region (Lopburi Immigration, entry #14), there is a green arrow over the Immigration building on a map supplied by Maestro. The office is on the first floor, up the stairs and turn right at the top and the office is on the left. It was staffed by 5 officers when I reported, they were both helpful and cheerful "at that time". my 90 day report took about 15 minutes to complete.

Nibor.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It is possible to get a re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi Airport - at least I did in May 2011. The desk is to the left immediately through the International Departures Gate. It is rather insignificant-looking and before needing it last year I must admit I had never even noticed it, despite traveling through BKK many times ..... Warning: they require at least 1 hour to process the permit. For safety, I would recommend being there 2 hours before needing to get to your Gate. I presume it is still there now. I'll have a look in a few days on my way to India .....