Do You Feel Inferior?

ukme

I do. I never used to, but now I'm in my early 30's I really regret not getting a University Education. In my 20's it was always there, niggling at me in the back of my mind and I thought one day I would end up going to Uni but I just didn't make the start.

Although rather late it's still something that I may do, one day? A collegue, in the office where I work recently asked me about my education/qualifications and I didn't know what to say?!

If I'm honest with myself, although challenging and probably enlightening (studying a subject of interest), I have mixed feelings about it.

Societal pressure would probably be 80% of the reason if I were to get an Education. Just to say I have a degree, should I'm asked.

In light of some of my life/emotional experiences, studying for a degree seem's quite insignificant. Presenting onself as a graduate of the University of "Life" however, to the educated at least, just doesn't seem like a valid qualification. Shame really.

No. I don't have a degree, but I have many other important things going for me, some of which can not be taught. So I do not feel inferior in the slightest. However, if I were to have a degree and did nothing with it, I would feel inferior/ashamed.

Do you need a degree to progress your career? If not, why bother? It will just be more time wasted doing something you don't really want/need.

You speak about people with degrees as "educated", yet you believe your experiences aren't valid in their eyes, seems to me you aren't talking to truly educated people.

Edited by scottyd

no- i know a lot of people with high degrees that are much worse off than i am (i went to university for 3 years then veered off and taught myself what i have been doing for over ten years). a degree isn't really worth much these days in a lot of circles. i would like to have more knowledge than i do, but these days a lot of universities put their curriculum online free for all to benefit from. and i don't think people with more education are more intelligent, just more priveleged. i tend to gravitate towards people who have gotten their learning from the school of life (travellers especially).

Inferior?......... No.

Why should I feel inferior when it was no fault of mine that I was unable to finish my education. And when surrounded by degree holders I rarely feel as though they are out of my league in terms of intelligence, some yes but the vast majority no.

Although now that I find myself facing the challenge of finding a 'proper' career in Thailand without one, for the first time of my life I bloody well I wish that I had one. Until this point I only regretted missing out on the Uni life-style.

In a country like this where so much emphasis is placed upon a degree, and where so many Thai's may consider those without a degree to be uneducated (I've likely had a superior education to many Thai graduates), then it can be very very frustrating indeed.

And you didn't know what to say to a colleague in your office when they asked???? Well degree or not mate, you are working along side them (presumably) in a similar role, which surely brings you to the same level as each other right?

Edited by Moonrakers

Good replies. Alas my postion at work is a lowly one, as is my graduate/s collegue/s. We're pretty much data entry clerks working for 6 gbp per hour. The graduates like it to been known that they are so.

When this guy/kid asked me if I had a University Education and I replied that I didn't, he seemed to relate to be differently, as if I were inferior to him. I went on to say that I'd travelled to and lived in Thailand for a spell, just to let it be known that I'd experienced life outside of this open - prison (The UK), 9-5 existence.

They are doing the same 'lowly' job as yourself and yet they feel superior!!!

Think about it.

Mate, I don't mean to be nasty, but the world is not against you. The sooner you realise there are alot of pompous bell ends out there, the sooner you can accept it and not be bothered. Do what you have to do, not what people expect you to do.

If you are not happy with what you are doing, then do something about it, and if you are happy where you are, why are other people bothering you?

You need to start holding yourself in higher regard.

Not really interested in working in KFC anyway! But given the current job losses here in the UK, who knows? There is actually a branch of Miss Millies (formerly KFC) down the road from where I live here in the UK. Maybe I'll go and ask for an application form :o (and pick up a dictionary form the Library on the way home).

Mate, I don't mean to be nasty, but the world is not against you. The sooner you realise there are alot of pompous bell ends out there, the sooner you can accept it and not be bothered. Do what you have to do, not what people expect you to do.

If you are not happy with what you are doing, then do something about it, and if you are happy where you are, why are other people bothering you?

Bang on.. :o

Bang on.. :o

I second that Bang on sentiment.

And in particular scottyd's final sentence.

Good replies. Alas my postion at work is a lowly one, as is my graduate/s collegue/s. We're pretty much data entry clerks working for 6 gbp per hour. The graduates like it to been known that they are so.

When this guy/kid asked me if I had a University Education and I replied that I didn't, he seemed to relate to be differently, as if I were inferior to him. I went on to say that I'd travelled to and lived in Thailand for a spell, just to let it be known that I'd experienced life outside of this open - prison (The UK), 9-5 existence.

Hi ukme :o

Just to try put an alternative slant on this. Maybe your colleague from the office just didnt know what to say in return? Maybe he felt a bit embarrassed for having asked you when he realised he didnt think about what he would say when you replied you did not have a degree etc.

But, if you believe he really did feel he was somehow superior to you after that, then it is sad if he feels the need to feel 'better' than someone else. No need to explain yourself, or show you have life experience in something. Up to him if he wants to feel arrogant. Dont let it get to you. There are always people around (such as Miserere), who like to try put people down. Its your choice if you let them.

I can't deny it. I have shitty self esteem/worth and a bad inferiority complex. :o Thanks for the encouragment.

I think when a person has low self esteem, sometimes they perceive things as being negative, when they may be neutral (or in some cases, positive!).

If you feel this way, you may be reading into something too much, or dwelling or something, when you should try let it go. Dont let others opinions or views affect your self esteem (either positively or negatively) too much. Try to build up your own self belief. Hard if you are feeling down, i realise. But important.

Try not to worry. Let things go. Smile and be happy! :D

Nope, but it depends on the practices in your industry/competitive discipline. I have observed that in many industries a certification or professional license in one's field of endeavor is more important than a Masters Degree, especially in technical or financial areas such as CPAs, CFAs, etc. Human Resources departments like to see Masters or PHD Degrees and upper level degrees are touted in company project proposals where experience of the individuals to do the work must be listed. However, often times the solution is for a company to propose someone with higher level degrees on all their projects and only make minimal use of them on each project leaving the project staffed with Bachelor degree or no degree but sufficiently competent and experienced people. That said, Government and Public Education jobs appear to value Masters Degrees. To me, it just depends on what is usual and customary in your industry but any company may play by their own rules.

:o Do I feel inferior? No I don't. I don't have a a university degree. I recieved my training in a technical field in the military (as an electronics technician), and I've made that my career for 40 years. I'll be retiring soon and some of the people I've taught had university degrees. In my 40 years experience, I've learned more about my job then they ever did in their university classes. The first thing you need in my field is a logical and perceptive mind, able to think logically and to solve problems. I've found out, that is not something they teach in university, it's something you have to acquire from experience. Today, too many technicians can't think logically, they rely on rote learning or classroom knowledge . When I have to teach a new employee, the first thing I stress is: If it runs from A to B to C to D, and it is good at B but not at D, then the first place to look for the problem is at C. You would be suprised how many people need to be taught that simple rule. It seems just to be simple logic, but it is the thing that many people need to be taught.

As a maintenance technician, the best troubleshooting equipment is between your eyes...it's called your brain. If you don't put that to use, the rest is irrelevant. Computers are great, but they have what we call the GIGO rule. Garbage In Garbage Out. All the knowledge in a university can't teach you to use your brain, if you don't want to.

:D

A degree is a prerequisite to move into many professions. So, if you are referring to moving into, onwards and upwards within a specific profession then I'd suggest that a degree and often higher is essential.

For those without a non-specific degree (i.e. where it is not job or career specific) it suggests that you have the mental capacity and discipline to carry out a course of study and succeed. In this circumstance it stands as proof. Any reputable employer will rely on references from the issuing educational institution to back this up and faking documentation may have dire consequences (particularly when applying for some job overseas in a country such as Thailand).

That said, experience counts and I have learnt more in my career thus far than my degree could have possibly offered.

If an employer was choosing between identical applicants then the one with the highest level of education would have the greatest chance of success.

In my opinion: While having a valid degree is not a direct measure of intelligence, it is globally accepted as a measure of education and as such a valid degree offers greater opportunity.

Edit: Socially, I couldn't care less who has a degree and who doesn't, respect is earned.

Edited by richard_smith237

ima_farang , good post , the holder of many a piece of paper were told to go hang it in the toilet , "You need BOTH hands to work here " , after a week they were either staff or history . I learned that from my very first boss , I am just a lowly motor-cycle engineer (GB) , design and build from the ground up , nobody ever asked me for a piece of paper other than my list of requirements to take the job . :o

:o Do I feel inferior? No I don't. Computers are great, but they have what we call the GIGO rule. Garbage In Garbage Out. All the knowledge in a university can't teach you to use your brain, if you don't want to.

:D

GIGO - in too many companies I've seen, it means Garbage In Gospel Out. Computers are great, but you need the warm body that knows what it's doing to review the computer reports. Every so often you see a news report of someone getting a $17,000,000,000 refund check from a phone or electric company; no warm body there!

But really, the OP should know that there are many 'educated idiots' out there. Education does not mean intelligence; in far too many cases, education simply means that a student showed up. Perhaps that's why so many people fake their C.V.'s - which is great until they get caught lol...

I do. I never used to, but now I'm in my early 30's I really regret not getting a University Education. In my 20's it was always there, niggling at me in the back of my mind and I thought one day I would end up going to Uni but I just didn't make the start.

Although rather late it's still something that I may do, one day? A collegue, in the office where I work recently asked me about my education/qualifications and I didn't know what to say?!

If I'm honest with myself, although challenging and probably enlightening (studying a subject of interest), I have mixed feelings about it.

Societal pressure would probably be 80% of the reason if I were to get an Education. Just to say I have a degree, should I'm asked.

In light of some of my life/emotional experiences, studying for a degree seem's quite insignificant. Presenting onself as a graduate of the University of "Life" however, to the educated at least, just doesn't seem like a valid qualification. Shame really.

Not for one second.

OK, I come from a different generation.

However, that never prevented me from progressing in multi-nationals, or owning/controlling my own companies.

Sometimes people are judged by what their qualifications reckon they should be able to do, rather then what they can do!

I have, always, believed that a degree demonstrates the holder's ability to retain knowledge - never the ability to utilise it!

:o

"Do You Feel Inferior?, Those that DON'T a have Degree/Masters"

Inferior? No way. Life is too short to feel worse for one's self because one thing or another was or wasn't done. Life is too short for woulda, coulda, shoulda. Also, feelings of inferiority can have underlying feelings of jealously, which shouldn't have a place in anyone's psyche.

I have a undergrad degree but no masters. I've known and worked with people with masters who are both more and less capable than me. So be it. I know people with in vogue professional certifications, who are both more and less capable than me. So be it.

The only thing that matters in this regard is if one is happy and content with one's self and particular lot in life. If yes, then life is good. If not, then all one has to do is search within for self-improvement. In either case, the answers lie within.

My father (who was highly educated himself) always liked to tell me that a large percentage of succesful people and millionaires (it was a few years ago so millionaires weren't a dime a dozen then) didn't even finish secondary school. He hated the 'us and them' elitist attitudes out there and considered himself a blue collar man (even though he wasn't really).

He also used to say 'university is not hard work you just have to work hard'.

The message was and is a piece of paper doesn't make you succesful, your actions and determination and the way you respect others do.

I do have tertiary qualifications and I can tell you - it's not rocket science it's just proof that you can apply yourself to something, complete the required work and see it through to the end. I think once you have the same evidence in your working life people don't really care about the piece of paper. They just want evidence that if you start something you can succeed at it and finish it.

The snobs that think they're better because they have a degree obviously don't have many other achievements in their lives that they are proud of.

If you are considering doing a degree I would highly recommend it. Compared to real work it's a great way to spend a few years, relatively stress free and if you do something you enjoy (I did philosophy and loved it!) it's never a waste of time. You just end up with debt at the end of it :o ...

I do have tertiary qualifications and I can tell you - it's not rocket science it's just proof that you can apply yourself to something, complete the required work and see it through to the end. I think once you have the same evidence in your working life people don't really care about the piece of paper. They just want evidence that if you start something you can succeed at it and finish it.

(I did philosophy and loved it!)

do your masters and a doctorate in one of the natural sciences or engineering and then let's talk again about "completing the required work" :o

Edited by Naam

(I did philosophy and loved it!)

do your masters and a doctorate in one of the natural sciences or engineering and then let's talk again about "completing the required work" :o

I was waiting for that. Looks like you've showed us where you sit Naam.

No-one should ever feel 'inferior' for not possessing a degree/Masters/Doctorate etc.

The guy who collects the rubbish from outside my house (probably) has no qualifications at all, but he sure is an important person as far as I am concerned because he's doing a useful job that many others would not do.

So for me, that rubbish collector is a 'Master' of rubbish collection.

But I'm sure many people regret that they missed the opportunity to obtain a degree (whether due to laziness at school, lack of funds etc etc). It can still be done later in life, even if just for self-satisfaction.

Simon