Identity In Thailand

Dear friends,

I've some enquiries that i don't know where to start from. I've known my girl friend from chiang mai for about a year and we've even discuss about marriage. But, she's not from thailand originally. But have stay in chiang mai for years. She's holding on a pink identity card issued from the thailand authority that can let her working within chiang mai. She told me that she's from a land between Thailand and Mynamar. I not sure how to help her apply an identity card or passport. How they obtain the pink identity card in chaing mai and why can she open a bank account and why she she can owns a bike? Hope can get some guidance from here as i sincerely wish i can marry in singapore. Please help me.. I really need help urgently...Hope to hear from your reply soon.. Yours Sincerely,Winson

Edited by winson1742

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Gf is stateless/has refugee staus or something. I won't even pretend I know anything about that. I advice you to contact the UNHCR (UN High Commisoner on Refugees), they have several offices in Thailand. There are also several organisations for Burmese refugees and hill tribe people who will be better able to help you.

Your Gf is stateless/has refugee staus or something. I won't even pretend I know anything about that. I advice you to contact the UNHCR (UN High Commisoner on Refugees), they have several offices in Thailand. There are also several organisations for Burmese refugees and hill tribe people who will be better able to help you.

I've tried to contact thai embassy in singapore and UNHCR for awhile but there's no reply from them.. I really want to find a solution to end all these..

Dear friends,

I've some enquiries that i don't know where to start from. I've known my girl friend from chiang mai for about a year and we've even discuss about marriage. But, she's not from thailand originally. But have stay in chiang mai for years. She's holding on a pink identity card issued from the thailand authority that can let her working within chiang mai. She told me that she's from a land between Thailand and Mynamar. I not sure how to help her apply an identity card or passport. How they obtain the pink identity card in chaing mai and why can she open a bank account and why she she can owns a bike? Hope can get some guidance from here as i sincerely wish i can marry in singapore. Please help me.. I really need help urgently...Hope to hear from your reply soon.. Yours Sincerely,Winson

She is a Burmese refugee - which minority ethnic group, haven't got a clue. What is her first language? - most of the ethnic groups can be identified by way of their first language. Maybe record some discreetly and then give the recording to someone who will be able to id it. Oh, and sometimes some refugeees go out of their way to conceal their real identity (for all sorts of reasons).

Thai Passport (on the basis of exsisting ID)? - chances: zero.

Thai ID card - see above (zero).

Chances of getting into Singapore to marry - also zero.

It all revolves around citizenship - a problem that the Thai authorities, the UNHCR and many other NGO's have been trying to find a solution for for years no. Its seen as a temp problem, at least as far as the Burmese go, in that the Burmese junta is one day going to be "no more" and there will then be no reason for most of them to want to stay in Thailand - they can go back to Burma - end of problem. If only it was that simple, but thats the reason why they don't get Thai citizenship (there are exceptions, but the rules and regs are long and complicated and a starting point for elligibility is knowing, amongst many other things, the minority ethnic group an inidividual comes from).

Why can't you marry her in Thailand - what is the reason or law that stops you from doing so?

I think you have an uphill battle.

Dear friends,

She is a Burmese refugee - which minority ethnic group, haven't got a clue. What is her first language? - most of the ethnic groups can be identified by way of their first language. Maybe record some discreetly and then give the recording to someone who will be able to id it. Oh, and sometimes some refugeees go out of their way to conceal their real identity (for all sorts of reasons).

Thai Passport (on the basis of exsisting ID)? - chances: zero.

Thai ID card - see above (zero).

Chances of getting into Singapore to marry - also zero.

It all revolves around citizenship - a problem that the Thai authorities, the UNHCR and many other NGO's have been trying to find a solution for for years no. Its seen as a temp problem, at least as far as the Burmese go, in that the Burmese junta is one day going to be "no more" and there will then be no reason for most of them to want to stay in Thailand - they can go back to Burma - end of problem. If only it was that simple, but thats the reason why they don't get Thai citizenship (there are exceptions, but the rules and regs are long and complicated and a starting point for elligibility is knowing, amongst many other things, the minority ethnic group an inidividual comes from).

Why can't you marry her in Thailand - what is the reason or law that stops you from doing so?

I think you have an uphill battle.

Not that i dun wan marry her in thai... But that made her as an alien too... I want her to follow me wherever i'm going.. I want to give her lawful name..

But she told me that there's a authority name amphere or something that she'll get her citizenship.. but years... Btw, what is the pink id for that she's hodling?

I believe the pink is for stateles people living in Thailand. Meaning that currently she doesn't have a nationality.

The Amphur is the Thai district office, a bit like a city hall. If she will get regular papers it will indeed take years, but many don't get it. I understand she wasn't born in Thailand, making the chance small.

But stateless people get settles in other countries from time to time. The NGO's don't issue papers, but can help with resetlement. In your caseyou want her to come to Singapore, I advise you to also contact a lawyer or organisation in Singapore. I susspect Thailand will cooperate if she wants to settle in Singapore, any problems will most likely come from Singapore.

While I'm sure all your efforts are well intended and sincere, it would be best if you accept the realization that she may never get Thai citizenship, much less a regular Thai ID card or any kind of international passport. The plight of the various refugee groups in Thailand is well documented and it's pretty depressing. Best to plan your future together in and around Chiang Mai. There is always hope, but it will take years and lots of money. Good luck and best wishes.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Then y she can work in chiang mai without being caught by the authority there? but if she does have all regular papers.. How to contact NGo? i went to their website but can find any links to contact them.. if she can get a citizenship in thailand, everything will be easy

I remember that she once told me that she's from hatyai the border btw burma n thai...... Anybody know abt these places?

Hat Yai, Thailand: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...&iwloc=addr

Burma, also known as Myanmar: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...ie=UTF8&z=4

Singpore: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...e=UTF8&z=10

Maestro

I remember that she once told me that she's from hatyai the border btw burma n thai...... Anybody know abt these places?

Hat Yai, Thailand: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...&iwloc=addr

Burma, also known as Myanmar: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...ie=UTF8&z=4

Singpore: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...e=UTF8&z=10

Maestro

I know, not the 1 close to malaysia.. Cos the prounouce is abit same as hat yai... But, it's a place between burma n thai.. They have their language too..

Then y she can work in chiang mai without being caught by the authority there? but if she does have all regular papers.. How to contact NGo? i went to their website but can find any links to contact them.. if she can get a citizenship in thailand, everything will be easy

How to contact the Burmese Border Consortium:

http://www.tbbc.org/contact/contact.htm

Mae Sot TBBC Field Office

804 Intarakhiree Road

Mae Sot

Tak 63110

<A name=tbbc>Mae Sariang TBBC Field Office

164 Moo 12

Bankat,

Mae Sariang,

MaeHongSon 58110

Links to other organisation

I know, not the 1 close to malaysia.. Cos the prounouce is abit same as hat yai... But, it's a place between burma n thai.. They have their language too..

You asked if we knew where Hat Yai was. We answered your question. May I suggest that you get some accurate details from your GF and then enlighten us further.

Ok.. Thanks Bro...