Immigration Rules

jerelocke

I would check at the immigration office in Chiang Mai and not rely on what someone on a forum might answer. I know for my triple entry tourist visa I can go out of the country anytime, but in so doing I lose whatever portion of my 60 day tourist visa is remaining. MY best guess is you could apply right now and your new, one year pension visa would begin at the time it was approved. But again, don't take my word for it. And, if you do go to the immigration office be sure to get whatever advice you receive in writing. At least you would have something on paper to show if there are problems later.

I say this with confidence:

1. There will be no problem showing up one month before expiration anywhere in Thailand. Immigration WANTS us to apply early so there is time to solve minor issues. Waiting till the very last minute is a very bad idea.

2. In Pattaya, reports are as early three months before are welcomed, but probably not the case nationally.

3. Your new extension will extend exactly ONEYEAR from your CURRENT EXPIRY DATE, and most certainly has nothing at all to do with the date of your application for extension even if three months early.

Some other points. You are not applying for a new retirement visa. You are applying for an annual extension based on retirement.

Edited by Jingthing

I say this with confidence:

Some other points. You are not applying for a new retirement visa. You are applying for an annual extension based on retirement.

I was sure I'd read on the Visa forum that , "There's no such thing as a retirement visa" and I welcome your clear sttement to that effect.

I was sure I'd read on the Visa forum that , "There's no such thing as a retirement visa" and I welcome your clear sttement to that effect.

Just to further clarify your statement "There's no such thing as a Thai retirement visa that can be gotten in Thailand"

True, the O-A visa which can be obtained in many home countries is also called a retirement visa. However, the extensions in Thailand are not retirement visas, they are annual extensions based on retirement. You can of course retire in Thailand without ever having obtained an O-A retirement visa (using extensions based on retirement).

Edited by Jingthing

Why would anyone want to retire to Thailand?

I mean other than the warm sunny weather?

Oh, and the inexpensive accommodation, food and clothing?

Oh, and the beautiful, friendly women?

Oh, and the beautiful beaches?

Oh, and the multitude of great bars and good restaurants?

I mean other than that? :o:D:D