The "golden" Moment They Lost Your Business

Jingthing

I have a classic!! Some years ago I ordered a capaccino in a small but long running restaurant in south Pattaya. It was taking a while to come so, using the extensive mirrors that run down each side of the restaurant, I managed to take a peek at the girl behind the counter who was "making" my capuccino. Lo and behold it seems the machine was not working and so she was blowing through a straw into my coffee to try to make it look like capuccino!! When it arrived I did not have the heart to point this out to someone so obviously retarded so I merely paid, had a glass of water instead and left!!!! Amazing Thailand eh!!??

Edited by freddy

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a classic!! Some years ago I ordered a capaccino in a small but long running restaurant in south Pattaya. It was taking a while to come so, using the extensive mirrors that run down each side of the restaurant, I managed to take a peek at the girl behind the counter who was "making" my capuccino. Lo and behold it seems the machine was not working and so she was blowing through a straw into my coffee to try to make it look like capuccino!! When it arrived I did not have the heart to point this out to someone so obviously retarded so I merely paid, had a glass of water instead and left!!!! Amazing Thailand eh!!??

You should have at least tried it :o

Seriously, this reminds me of the small convenience store inside the Pattaya Bus Terminal(intercity)

They have a machine that offers coffee such as expresso, cappicino, cafe au lait..

It's quite cheap - maybe 20 baht or so..

Cafe au lait was coffee with a bit of milk on top!

I refused to pay and the owner got quite miffed.

Only read the 1st page, but here's my spin:

first off, in the US, it's annoying that tips at eateries are totally expected. You don't tip, and they look at you like scum - and expect intentionally crappy service next time.

Sorry to hear that required tipping is becoming more evident in Pattaya and other heavily touristed places.

It goes without saying that required tips are never mentioned before the fact. That, in itself, would be a major reason for me to avoid a place - whether an eatery or hotel, or whatever.

Thankfully for me, there are as yet, no required tip places here in northernmost Thailand (that I know of). However, there is one restaurant here (I've heard of) with a dual pricing - for farang and for Thais. That would also be a complete turn-off for me.

Two of my favorite restaurants are run by Muslims. Not only is the food a whole lot tastier (for me) than Thai places, the service at both places is 2nd to none. Plus it's very low price for high quality. Oh, and they put decent sized soap in their clean bathrooms.

You should have at least tried it :o

You're assuming she was using her mouth to blow the bubbles :D

quoted........am seeing an explosion of both farang oriented and Thai restaurants starting to tack on a 10%-15% "service charge". This is in addition to tax and tip. When I find a place that has newly implemented this policy, I tip the staff as I normally do and cross the restaurant off my list. Hundreds more to choose from..."

I'm with you on this.

Being a Thai from the US, I tend to be a fairly tipper, normally between 15%-20% (if cocktails being served). Quite often if I enjoy the meals so much ( the chef prepares all the dishes to my liking), :D then I tips the chief separatedly :D .

But I can not stand any eating establishments automatic added the service charges on the restaurant tab WITHOUT printing this policy on the menu where the customers can see. So usually we end up double tips without knowing. :o:D

As you already know, in the US you would find a small print at the bottom of the menu; a 18% service charged will be added for a party of 5 and more. Fairs and squares.

One thing is funny when dining out in BKK, I was the one who found out ( 2 years ago) :D that we had been double tipping for ages, my group of Thai friends never once looking at the tab one item at a time. All they did was to pay the total plus 15% tips.

Now we avoid those places ( they must be missed our tips), we feel it's not nice to do that to your regular customers.

Tipping: I was told a long time ago that the tip you put on the table goes in the pot - and the managers dip into that pot. The tip you put in the hand goes in that peosons pocket - by Thai custom. Guess where my tips go!

Equally, if its not on the menu, they can't charge you (service charge) - but try hanging on to the menu.

Caveat emptor

We had used a very good restauarant for several years & also purchased take-aways from them.

Well after New Year ,they announced that they would be closed for extensive refurbishment as they had bought the restaurant next door & would be combining the kitchen,serving areas etc

However their chef & cooks would be temporarily working in the the other kitchen offering take-away service.

Well the take-away was disastrous,I am always suspicious when you find "extra sliced onons" as this is the cheapest cooking ingredient and conceals other omissions.

Anyway ,we put the takeaway down to transition,waited for the Grand Opening ,and boooked a table .

When we received our food ,we discovered that it was the same standard or worse than the take-away.

When I mentioned our disatisfaction to the waiter ,he said that all the old staff,chef,cooks,waiters all gone....

We had been rooked !

Several places lost my patronage but the one that sticks out most is a certain moon place. The g/f ordered a fish dish that came with vegetables. She got one small fish on a plate and even that did not look appetising LOL. No veggies.

Same place. I ordered a Leo beer. A different waitress had a word with the girl serving me and I was given some of that cr*p Heineken. I was served from behind so did not see the bottle until too late. Words were spoken over the change of order but the attitude stank.

Terrible service in some places. One dish arrives 10 minutes before the next, the next etc. Wrong dishes and asked for in Thai by a Thai. The attitude to work sucks in many places, maybe due to low wages or whatever, but they are given a chance or two before I refuse to go back.

Have to admit that most places do make an effort and the odd mistakes will happen so cannot condemn a place on one mistake.

• 3 weeks later...
Time to get a grip fellas

you wouldnt even get a decent entree back home for the price you pay for a banquet here.

How many years do we have to live here in Thailand for you to give us permission not to bother comparing things to "back home"?

To take this to the absurd level, say a Thai person visits America and realizes that pad Thai costs at least 250 baht there. So now every time he eats a 30 baht pad Thai do you think he should think about the great bargain he is getting?

Also, money is only one aspect of the reasons food businesses lose our business here.

Edited by Jingthing

When I set up my business here I got in touch with a tour company to take our clients out on a sunday excursion. I asked for a private van and guide once a week. They quoted me 3,500 baht.

I thought this reasonable so I said to the owner I will book you for a year and will pay you once a month and if we dont need you one wekk we will pay you anyway. So they were guaranteed 52 weeks work whether they worked or not.

I asked what the price would be thinking that I would get a block booking discount.

They phoned me back the next day to give me the price.

5,000 baht per trip!!!!!! Go figure.

Reminds me of a time in a bar/restaurant in the Pan Thip area.

I forget the exact figures, so lets make the numbers easy.

There where four of us and each of us wanted a beer. The Beers where 100 baht each.

So we order 4 beers and the waitress suggests that we but a jug. OK, "so how much is a jug?" we ask, "500 baht" came the answer. Of course the next question is obviously "So how many beers in a jug?", to which she answered "4 beers to a jug".

Of course we tried to argue the basic economic principal of discount when buying in bulk, and that buying a jug should cost less than buying individual beers but alas it was lost on the poor girl. "You buy more, you pay more" she said. To this day I wonder if she understands the reason that we ordered four individual beers instead of the jug.

Another was having my "Lad naa" served with the waitresses thumb in the 'gravy'. Upon drawing attention to the thumb in soup the waitress didn't seem to understand why I was complaining, although she did seem a tad busy cleaning her thumb on her (Filthy) apron at the time.

About 2 years ago on our 2 weekly trip to Udon Thani for shopping, we used to have some food at a Jap resturant near Robinsons, quite a good salad cheese burger, [treat for me] one day we arrived there and i needed a ching chong, so i was led out the back into the kitchen, the toilet was in the kitchen, stand and deliver, no paper, nowhere to wash your hands, and no doubt the kitchen staff use this too, since then, i have always checked the toilets before eating, no way will i buy off street vendors, dirty hands, traffick seasoning,Rotting fish and meat camoflaged with spices, not for me thankyou,

when i go to sunrise tacos i always go "Huh???" when I get the bill cause they tack on other charges (VAT, SERVICE, ETC) it does not stop me from eating there and at other places but i would rather they just put that stuff into the initial price because it always makes you feel like you were deceived.

I enjoy the food there but because they force service charge into the bill, i just don't tip the staff, and I point this out to them every time I get the bill.

An average of 100 baht every meal as tip/service charge in Thailand is not a small amount, by any means.

Not a restaurant, but my wife and I have been avoiding a Shell gas station closest to our house because one attendant with somewhat of an attitude. I forgot exactly what it was, it was very minor but still an attitude, and from a gas pump attendant! It was something like me confirming that he was going to put in B5 Biodiesel and not the horrendously overpriced unnecessary crap called V-something diesel. And his response was more or less to point at the label on the pump and have a slight attitude about it.

So we've been avoiding that whole pump for half a year now, and could easily become forever.

So there you have it. Staff and staff training are very important in getting and KEEPING customers.

(Do I win the prize for the most insignificant event leading to a personal boycott? :o )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well, I walks into this eater in Pattaya and sits down. The waitress brings me the menu, quite a pretty thing, so I puts me arm around 'er and sez "how 'bout you and me love?" She gives a smile and walks off. Next thing, there's an older one coming up to take me order. Nothing special, but never the less I gives her arse a pinch. She goes out the back and a Farang geezer comes out and sez "That's my wife." "I'm sorry for ya" I sez back, "I'm gunna have to ask you to leave" he sez. "But I 'aven't eaten yet, I'm goin' nowhere." He went away and come back with 4 big Thai guys, they drags me out the back door and gives me a good kicking in the soi, which is a painful place to be kicked, I'm telling ya. That's it, they've just lost a potential regular customer. NEVER GOING BACK!

Note for those sad, humourless individuals who think this is real and I just know will post a reply. Get a life chaps. :o

This kind of short sighted behavior is sadly common here. One time rip off and lose customers for life. even recognized regulars.

It amazes me that restaurateurs fail to realise how a poor or sloppy attitude can result, not only in losing a customer for life, but in the resulting bad publicity turning away others.

About a month ago I went to a place in Jomtien that I had been to previously and had found to be OK. The meal was OK - nothing to complain about there, apart from the fact that both food and drinks were expensive - but I knew that.

Anyway, I handed over 1000 baht note to pay my bill and received change out of 500. I drew the waiter's attention to it - no drama - simple mistake - but it was quite a few minutes before I was handed another 500 and that was without comment or apology. The grudging way the mistake was rectified almost made me feel that I had somehow been at fault for mentioning it. Incidentally the European owner had seen me querying the change but didn't see fit to intervene.

I went back to that place a couple of weeks later and ordered a chicken dish with vegetables I had had before and had enjoyed. When it arrived there were vegetables OK but the chicken was almost non-existent. I tried to catch the manager's eye but he was too absorbed talking to friends. So I just ate it, thought to myself, like Jingthing, that there are plenty of other places keen for business, and left - for good!

Last week, not far from that place I decided to try out a recently opened establishment. The prices looked high but I thought there might be something special about the cooking. There was. I had ordered a fish dish and what arrived was the smallest, thinnest piece of fish fillet I have ever been presented with. It was accompanied by 2 tiny florets of cauliflower, 2 thin slices of carrot and a small potato. Cost in the region of 300 baht.

I was the only customer - I think I know why - but I left wondering what those serving up such a miserly helping hoped to achieve. Doubling the quantities would have cost them a few more baht in raw materials but in return they might have had me returning or recommending them to others. Now they will have neither.

And, with some sadness, I have to report that a couple of nights ago I took 4 friends who had never been there before to Pattaya Beer Garden. I go there regularly and have always found it good value for money.

However, embarrassingly, on this occasion the helpings were small and in a couple of cases over-cooked. A steamed snapper at 230 baht was tiny, with no more than a couple of spoonfulls of meat. My friends were very disparaging. I will go back because I know that that meal was an aberration but, I'm sorry to say, from their reaction I know my friends will not be returning or recommending it to others.

One of my favorite memories that jumps to mind was sitting in a restaurant in Hanoi recommended by Lonley Planet as one of the better places to eat. The food we ordered was great each dish tasted different to anyhting I had tasted before, in fact we ordered another plate of king prawns served in tamarind mmmmm

Whilst waiting for the extra order to arrive there was a huge commotion coming from the kitchen just as the screaming started a HUGE brown rat ran from the serving window/slot and hid behind the TV on the wall. Within seconds there was three children stood on chairs trying to hit the rat behind the TV with their flip flops, if it had not been so funny I would have walked away.

Never ate in the place again even though the food was excellent.

a HUGE brown rat

That wouldn't have phased me if it was otherwise a great place. Its funny the different reasons people have for rejecting places.

Same here.

Rats happen, they are clever little creatures and if they can find a way to get to food then they will. Even the most hygienic of places can have the occasional visitor.

I WENT DON TO THE CHIPPY IN JOMTYEN AN THEIR WAS NO PICKEL ONION'S OR CURY SOUCE AND WEN I ASKED FOR LAGER (YES, I SPEAK TAI EVEN THO IM FROM PETERBORO) THEY SAYED SOLLY NO HAB. LAST TIME I DRINK CHANG!!!!!

(cheers ballpoint :o)

a HUGE brown rat

That wouldn't have phased me if it was otherwise a great place. Its funny the different reasons people have for rejecting places.

I do agree with you Jingthing it did not put me off though at the time my mate was not so forgiving (good food or not) We only spent three days there so it was not an issue plenty of nice places to eat. I still think of the prawns in tamarind.

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

Here is something that gets me, though I sometimes still come back..

Take the Villa Market restaurant ...they have a "grandma's turkey" with a picture on the

wall showing turkey and COOKED VEGETABLES like brocolli..

When you get it you will get the Turkey but only a small salad with dressing on the side...

In the west we would call that misleading advertising...

But probably no salad annoyed.gif and at half the size :o and 3x the price sad.gif

I've gotten over it but when the server immediately stands next to my table for as long as it takes me to read through the menu, makes me feel rushed and claustrophobic. My analyst says I shouldn't worry so much... :o

I quickly order my standard water which gives them something to do and gets rid of them. I've never had trouble getting their attention when I need them again. A fairly loud "Nong Krap!" gets the place looking and smiling as I attempt the Thai language.

I always tell in a very polite way that I will call them when I decided what to eat. I even find it a very rude that Thai customers let the waiter/waitres always wait endlessly while they still chitchat amongst themselves.

I've gotten over it but when the server immediately stands next to my table for as long as it takes me to read through the menu, makes me feel rushed and claustrophobic. My analyst says I shouldn't worry so much... :o

I quickly order my standard water which gives them something to do and gets rid of them. I've never had trouble getting their attention when I need them again. A fairly loud "Nong Krap!" gets the place looking and smiling as I attempt the Thai language.

I always tell in a very polite way that I will call them when I decided what to eat. I even find it a very rude that Thai customers let the waiter/waitres always wait endlessly while they still chitchat amongst themselves.

Yes, but the latter is more the cultural norm in Thailand. I used to ask them to go away and let me decide for a few minutes but now I just let them wait as this is what they EXPECT is their job. If they have something more urgent, they will slip away, that is probably bad service by Thai standards, but nothing is perfect. I don't think it is our role to change the culture of Thai waiting standards. No of course I am not in the Thai-ier than Thai camp, I just think it is reasonable for foreign residents to adapt somewhat to local expectations. It tends to make westerners feel GUILTY to have a "servant" stand there like that and that makes many of us uncomfortable. However, THEY are not uncomfortable, in fact shooing them away is weird behavior by their expectations.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi.

There used to be a place near On Nut that had this "79 Baht Buffet" kind of thing where you can eat as much as you can and pay 79 Baht. I been to many such places and always happy, so when this one opened me and my BF went there.

We ordered the regular 79 Baht buffet, Pepsi for me and water for him.

And in the end the bill came to slightly over 300 Baht, <deleted>..??

They charged extra for:

- ice

- the bucket for the ice (!!)

- the stove to keep the soup warm (which we didn't order but assumed it was part of the menu)

- the chopsticks (!!!) and

- the car park, or rather the boy with the stupid whistle who "directed" me to an imaginative "dedicated spot" in the huge, empty, yard.

Then they added 10% "service charge" (what service at a buffet?? We got everything ourselves, except for the Pepsi and water bottles!) and 7% tax on top of the whole bill.

LAST TIME THERE.

The place has since shut down.

Best regards......

Thanh

In Italy they do the same,you get a bill of meter long

they charge

table

spoon and fork

bread

sauce

butter

etc... etc...

When I set up my business here I got in touch with a tour company to take our clients out on a sunday excursion. I asked for a private van and guide once a week. They quoted me 3,500 baht.

I thought this reasonable so I said to the owner I will book you for a year and will pay you once a month and if we dont need you one wekk we will pay you anyway. So they were guaranteed 52 weeks work whether they worked or not.

I asked what the price would be thinking that I would get a block booking discount.

They phoned me back the next day to give me the price.

5,000 baht per trip!!!!!! Go figure.

Its sounds indeed strange at first hand but..... maybe he did not have much job that sunday, secondly by reserving his van for 52 weeks maybe he could mis out some more lucrative jobs for an whole weekend or week than just one sunday's rent.