Make Way For The Social Security Tourists In Phuket.

Syl

Make Way For The chavs & Social Security Tourists In Phuket.

With job loses in the UK and even cheaper hotel prices in Phuket, I will predict that Phuket will be host to a different class of tourist soon.

European countries have been host to this sort of tourism for many years, and this class of tourists are fed up with over in flatted European beer & food prices, and are willing to go further a field in search of the golden stuff & sun.

Flights might be more expensive, but hotel costs are lower and so is the cost of food and lager.

So spending more money on a flight would save more on other holiday necessities.

So look out all you UK expats who fled to Phuket to get away from the Chavs & lager-louts . Because it looks like they will be following you very soon.

Syl.

For those not hailing from Blighty, a 'chav' is essentially a lower class, trouble-making youth (I had to look it up).

I'd be interested to know the source of the OP's information re this portent.

Ping, It is only my prediction.

And I would predict that more hotels and tour operators will offer fully exclusive holiday packages, to pull in the punters.

Bad news for the restaurants and food outlets.

Syl.

With job loses in the UK and even cheaper hotel prices in Phuket, I will predict that Phuket will be host to a different class of tourist soon.

European countries have been host to this sort of tourism for many years, and this class of tourists are fed up with over in flatted European beer & food prices, and are willing to go further a field in search of the golden stuff & sun.

Flights might be more expensive, but hotel costs are lower and so is the cost of food and lager.

So spending more money on a flight would save more on other holiday necessities.

So look out all you UK expats who fled to Phuket to get away from the Chavs & lager-louts . Because it looks like they will be following you very soon.

Syl.

Sly, I understand from one of your early posts that you are a 48 year old UK male with a younger Thai girl who was concerned for your family's safety, children? here in Thailand, and had moved them back to the dubious safety of your homeland, why worry about the Chavs coming to Phuket, you moved your family back to live with them. :o

If we are going to judge, Phuket's already not exactly bursting at the seems with the worlds elite movers and shakers.

It isnt just Phuket. The whole of LOS is one big destination for the strugglers including the expat community. I always have a quiet giggle when I read comments like the OPs cause invariably it comes from someone who is, at best, one step up from struggle street themselves. Why else would you be living in the Kingdom when there are soo many other better places to spend your time if you have the money. :o

Sly, I understand from one of your early posts that you are a 48 year old UK male with a younger Thai girl who was concerned for your family's safety, children? here in Thailand, and had moved them back to the dubious safety of your homeland, why worry about the Chavs coming to Phuket, you moved your family back to live with them. :o

Nice one ...

Just a few chave jokes.

What do you call a large group of chavs decending on somewhere (a bar in patong for instance)?

A Chavalanche

If you see a Chav on a bike, why should you try not to run him over?

It might be your bike.

What's the difference between a Chav and a coconut?

One's thick and hairy, the other's a coconut.

What's the first question at a Chav quiz night?

"What you <deleted> lookin' at?"

How do you identify the bride at a chav wedding?

She is the most pregnant one.

What do you call a Chav in a boiler suit?

Prisoner.

In order for Patong to become the apex of budget conscious slack jawed knuckle draggers, there is that Pricing obstacle to overcome;

Prices are still 20-25% higher on Phuket than elsewhere. Sure, there are cheap digs to be found, but the stained singlet wearing brigade do not like such places. Not enough beer or fast food outlets to be found. Even if prices come down, Phuket will still be too expensive for that demographic.

That is assuming of course that the budget conscious traveler will even have the funds to travel. The "low end" segment can't afford to travel now, and if they do, they'll be going to Spain and Greece not Thailand.

Thailand hasn't really released a true indication of the state of its tourism trade, but India released some very disturbing numbers. India is the place to go if you have no money, but look at the numbers for India;

and industry reaction courtesy of Reuters RSS, reporter Matthias Williams.

- Tourism contributes more than 6% to India's GDP of $1 trillion, and employs 53 million people directly or indirectly. Foreign tourist arrivals to India dropped 12% to 522,000 in December, compared to 596,560 in the same month in 2007

-Post the Mumbai attacks, we had almost a 22% cancellation in December and it's about 15% in January. So my worry is this trend seems to be continuing into February."

Instead of terrorist attacks, insert airport shutdowns and civil unrest for the Thai perspective.

- Hotel occupancy rates in the seaside town of Kovalam in Kerala were at 60% over the peak season, compared to nearly 100% at the same time last year.

Hmm, it seems that the Patong beach chairs were about 80% full over Christmas week and dropped to the 2/3 full level, a few days after the peak of peaks ended.

Ratings agency Crisil said in a report in January that "hotel occupancy rates (in India) are expected to show their steepest decline in a decade".

Well, that's what everyone is saying about Thailand, just that the numbers are not reported.

And now for my favourite quote.

But some tour operators are frustrated by what they see as the government's failure to address the sector's relatively slow progress compared to other destinations. It rankles that smaller Asian rivals such as Thailand, which ranks at number 18 in the foreign tourist arrival rankings, and Malaysia, at 11, are far ahead of the south Asian giant. "What is there in Malaysia? What is there in Thailand?" asked Sujit Banerjee, the secretary of the Ministry of Tourism at a crisis meeting for the tourism sector in January. "Only 5% of India has been shown to the world. Tour operators say India is seen as a "hardship destination" even as hotels in major cities charge up to $400 a night. "If you land at the airport and if it takes you an hour-and-a-half to get your bags and then you have to fight in a taxi queue, that's not really the kind of experience you want as a customer," Shringi of Yatra.com said.

Seems to me that Thailand has a lot in common in respect to some of those comments.

Where did the numbers come from? UNWTO data. Oh and an answer to Sujit's question about what Thailand has to offer that India doesn't? umm, well for one thing, well, it would take a few pages to answer that one :o

Edited by geriatrickid

lager drinkers were coming to pattaya for years. For many families phuket is too far to travel, they would rather stay closer to home. In fact many families won't be travelling this summer anywhere abroad

They better go to pattaya the trashcan of Thailand they wont be noticed.

Saw in a travel agent yesterday, 3 nights Phuket 3* hotel accom & flight, 199 gbp. That is cheap. OK they wont come for 3 nights so they will bump up the cost with extra nights stays & the tax for the flights were excluded & there were probably some other hidden extras but that is still stupid cheap.

lager drinkers were coming to pattaya for years. For many families phuket is too far to travel, they would rather stay closer to home. In fact many families won't be travelling this summer anywhere abroad

They better go to pattaya the trashcan of Thailand they wont be noticed.

If you did your homework,the top tourists of Pattaya are Thais,second Russians,i will let you check the rest out but english are 8 th so will they mingle in with the thais or russians.

get your facts right before talking crap

Just a few chave jokes.

What do you call a large group of chavs decending on somewhere (a bar in patong for instance)?

A Chavalanche

If you see a Chav on a bike, why should you try not to run him over?

It might be your bike.

What's the difference between a Chav and a coconut?

One's thick and hairy, the other's a coconut.

What's the first question at a Chav quiz night?

"What you <deleted> lookin' at?"

How do you identify the bride at a chav wedding?

She is the most pregnant one.

What do you call a Chav in a boiler suit?

Prisoner.

How come its ok to make jokes about Chavs but not about black's Indians or Muslims ?

Because blacks and Indians are races and had no choice in becoming one.

Chavs is a social group that you make a conscientious choice to join; just like skinheads, goths, mods and rockers, surfies etc.

Try comparing apples to apples next time. You know it makes sense.

Edited by Sir Burr

Syl.

Didn't know the definition of "Chav", I being a colonial. Here is what Wiktionary says: "

1. (UK, pejorative) A working-class youth, especially one associated with aggression, poor education, and a perceived "common" taste in clothing and lifestyle. I wouldn't go to that part of town if I were you; it's full of chavs."

Is this the word you are using?

Saw in a travel agent yesterday, 3 nights Phuket 3* hotel accom & flight, 199 gbp. That is cheap. OK they wont come for 3 nights so they will bump up the cost with extra nights stays & the tax for the flights were excluded & there were probably some other hidden extras but that is still stupid cheap.

For that price I would even take 3 nights Britain :o .

For that price I would even take 3 nights Britain :o .

Boo,

is this flight from Bangkok,because 10,000 baht for flight and 3 nights,in 3 star isnt that cheap is it????.Thought it was the norm.

Correct me if i am wrong.

As you say "199GBP" is this UK-BKK-Phuket? Where did you see this? If this is real, I would book it just for a one way flight ticket!

As you say "199GBP" is this UK-BKK-Phuket? Where did you see this? If this is real, I would book it just for a one way flight ticket!

Air asia cheaper than that for a one way.

Syl.

Didn't know the definition of "Chav", I being a colonial. Here is what Wiktionary says: "

1. (UK, pejorative) A working-class youth, especially one associated with aggression, poor education, and a perceived "common" taste in clothing and lifestyle. I wouldn't go to that part of town if I were you; it's full of chavs."

Is this the word you are using?

Yes, he did, and I may add that the vernacular applies to both lads and lass’s.

Trends come and go and even this term is a bit old hat now.

When I was in a taxi in Bangkok last Kitmah, the taxi driver was wearing a Burberry Cap (as loved by Chav’s). I asked him where he had got it from and he said that; “Falung gib me, him no hab all taxi fare, I say him, okay no popem.”

Fair exchange is no robbery I suppose..

Not much in it and probably not from Stansted and definitely not to Bangkok

We looked at Air Asia from KL , suppose to be 75 pounds one way.....when look and try to book with 25kg backage a return is over 450 pounds so not cheap and must still get to KL..