Thai Drivers Licence

• 1 month later...

It is my understanding that you need an International Driving Licence to convert to Thai licence (with reaction and color blind test) otherwise you have to take the full test.

Edited by spacebass

It is my understanding that you need an International Driving Licence to convert to Thai licence (with reaction and color blind test) otherwise you have to take the full test.

International Driving Licence is not requiered if your current foreign country licence is in English.

International Driving Licence is not requiered if your current foreign country licence is in English.

Not true.

My current foreign country licence IS an English licence and therefore written in English but I had to sit the full test (practical and written) as I did not have an International Driving Permit.

Not true.

My current foreign country licence IS an English licence and therefore written in English but I had to sit the full test (practical and written) as I did not have an International Driving Permit.

I guess it may may depend on which office you apply. I got my 1 year licence last May at the office in Bangkok near Chatuchak without the need for the International Driving Permit. I don't know anyone who has applied at Prakhonchai office.

Not true.

I guess it may may depend on which office you apply. I got my 1 year licence last May at the office in Bangkok near Chatuchak without the need for the International Driving Permit. I don't know anyone who has applied at Prakhonchai office.

I also got my first one year license at the office near Chatuchak and did not have to take any written or pratical test. I did not have a International Driving Permit. Have since renewed and issued 5 year license. In fact, if your license is in English, there is very little need for an International Driving Permit in Thailand at all.

Kinda fun to dicuss this in the Real Estate forum for a change.

:o

TH

I HAVE A SOUTH AFRICAN DRIVERS LICENCE . HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT CHANGING TO A THAI LICENCE IN PRAKHONCHAI ??

THANX FOR ANY INFO POSSIBLE !!

In the case of the SA driving license you will need an IDL from the AA in SA, the reason has nothing to do with it being in English, its to do with the SA license coding ie 08 = motor car etc etc

When I changed mine over (the old SA license in your ID book), Although they accepted the license, they said they couldnt issue a Thai DL against it as there was no key to the license codes...I did however have an expired SA IDL and showed them that, which details what the codes all mean and they accpeted that, made a copy and was given the Thai license..