Klx250 Full Power

bpimpb

Like so many other people that have brought a KLX250 I loved it but was disappointed with its lack of power. Especially going up mountains and a maximum speed of about 115 on the flat. :o

Luckily I have managed to find a guy that can derestrict the KLX250, Since he has done mine I can fly up mountains and maintain a speed of 131kmh all day long, if I tuck in then I see speeds of 140+.

He charged me 2000 baht to do the work needed. I have since done over 2500kms with no problems. The bike pulls threw out the rev range and feels a lot more responsive.

I am now a very happy owner :D

I will be happy to pass on his contact details should any one want them, send me a PM :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a thought all he did was take off the exhaust and bash out what ever restricter Kawasaki had put in there. Normal sort of stuff we did in the Uk on the restricted 125's..............might be wrong though :D

"maintain a speed of 131kmh all day long, if I tuck in then I see speeds of 140+. " love that 131.....131 wow that's anal :o:D

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

If you take the end-cap off the Kawasaki KLX250 or D-Tracker's exhaust system and pull the core out from inside the muffler packing. Notice how few holes are in it?

No wonder the packing can't do its job! Simply drill a series of holes in the core, It's best to start with something like 4mm holes and follow-though with a larger drill-bit, and then reassemble the pipe. For the more adventures types you can also explore the air-filter to make the bike breath better....

You'll find your 250cc now makes a bit more noise, but still very acceptable, and it didn't cost you 2,000 Baht nor did you needed to spent 33,000 Baht worth of aftermarket pipe to fix it!

If you take the end-cap off the Kawasaki KLX250 or D-Tracker's exhaust system and pull the core out from inside the muffler packing. Notice how few holes are in it?

No wonder the packing can't do its job! Simply drill a series of holes in the core, It's best to start with something like 4mm holes and follow-though with a larger drill-bit, and then reassemble the pipe. For the more adventures types you can also explore the air-filter to make the bike breath better....

You'll find your 250cc now makes a bit more noise, but still very acceptable, and it didn't cost you 2,000 Baht nor did you needed to spent 33,000 Baht worth of aftermarket pipe to fix it!

+1 on opening up the end can and also the airbox...does anyone know how the ECU in the KLX/D tracker will respond to this? I doubt that it is smart enough on it's own (as an OEM part), to adapt - and if it could be modified, it would require some analysis tools which are probably beyond the scope of the everyday mechanic (or maybe not). The throttle position sensor and possible the air bleed screw may need to be adjusted.

I do not have a D-tracker - although I think they are a great machine, and if they were available a couple of years ago, one would be gracing my garage right now.

Yes, 110 kms or thereabouts seems slow for a 250 road orientated bike, and i'd be very keen to help it realise it's true potential.

My point here is - even opening up the bike is not necessarily going to improve the top speed. It should get there quicker - providing you can also help add more fuel - to help deliver more power - matching the additional air that you are allowing into the system - and the increased volume of gases escaping it.

Then there's gearing - and doing the above, along with adding a tooth on the front, or decreasing 3 or so on the rear should also help increase your top speed.

I'm also very curious to find out what he did... :o

A few years ago, I bought a Yamaha TTR250.

After riding it about 500km, I pulled the exhaust off & knocked the ringed shaped restricter out of it at the header end, I pulled the small snorkle off the airbox & drilled a couple of holes in the top of the box & replaced the carby jet with a slightly larger one....i cant remember the size but it worked a treat and the bike went much better.

I have replaced the carby jet in my bike here, it was only a few hundred baht to buy the part.

BpimpB,

Thanx for your topic,

May your Dude just cut an elec. wire??

I will contact you then your guy (Do you have name or nickname?) I'll bring him my bike and for sure watch out at what he will do .

I exchanged rear sprocker,end pipe and for a FMF and reach now 135km/h instead of 117km...and will continue to mod's ,

unfortunatly for the moment no POWER COMMANDER (if any Mate know about the release date?!,a Somschai from a certain shop told that he work on his own Power C. model...will avoid thanx) or stuffs to like engine parts as his a new model and EFI ( is what they said...).So for the moment i change or remove parts to lighten it only.

I won't open the airbox yet ,for some EFI is not working so well ,can loose power as well,i'll prefer to wait to find a way to increase fuel injection on same time ,...in mean time can exchange the filter to make it a bit more breath.

KLX 09" great bike on tarmac or earth ...just mods it a bit.

Cheers

Okay Kifkif,

Do you actual have a KLX250, as they not standard come road legal, in Thailand the road legal version is market as the Kawasaki D-Tracker. And as both version use the same engine, and even share the ECU with an fully off-road 250cc 4-stroke engine, I can say with full confident that the ECU of both the "fuel-injection" KLX250 and the D-Tracker 250 are very capable to correct, probably the most biggest spectrum of all single cylinder 250cc ECU worldwide around.

Sure, playing with the intake of a motorcycle will also increase the thirst for fuel, but, any power increase comes with sacrifices. I had the pleasure to ride the Kawasaki D-tracker 250 for a few times and riding it above 120km/h is surely no fun.

Personally anybody thinking serious of cruising at speeds over 120km/h, I would say forget the D-tracker and go for a Ninja 250R. And if you want to ride comfortable at +130km/h go for a Kawasaki ER6N.

If you want to ride comfortable at any speeds higher in Thailand, without knowledge of Thai traffic, call your nearest hospital and jump of a bridge... This sounds extreme, but you are more likely to survive then riding a faster bike...

The original KLX250 would not be road legal in Thailand. A KLX250, similar to previous sporadic sold KLX300R's are modified to pass... But then who does the clearing.

In the past I know 4 people who bought KLX motorcycles from Rama 9 and needed to do all paperwork themselves....

I just asked.... Yes the KLX-250 is road legal in Thailand..

Edited by Richard-BKK

Okay kids who have a D-Tracker or KLX250 not touch your bike. I searched the web, things just not computed .... Seems that the OP posted this message of fixing a KLX250 engine to almost all Asian related forums (with that I also found it in the spam)

Okay Kifkif,

Do you actual have a KLX250, as they not standard come road legal, in Thailand the road legal version is market as the Kawasaki D-Tracker. And as both version use the same engine, and even share the ECU with an fully off-road 250cc 4-stroke engine, I can say with full confident that the ECU of both the "fuel-injection" KLX250 and the D-Tracker 250 are very capable to correct, probably the most biggest spectrum of all single cylinder 250cc ECU worldwide around.

Sure, playing with the intake of a motorcycle will also increase the thirst for fuel, but, any power increase comes with sacrifices. I had the pleasure to ride the Kawasaki D-tracker 250 for a few times and riding it above 120km/h is surely no fun.

Personally anybody thinking serious of cruising at speeds over 120km/h, I would say forget the D-tracker and go for a Ninja 250R. And if you want to ride comfortable at +130km/h go for a Kawasaki ER6N.

If you want to ride comfortable at any speeds higher in Thailand, without knowledge of Thai traffic, call your nearest hospital and jump of a bridge... This sounds extreme, but you are more likely to survive then riding a faster bike...

Thanx Richard for yours advises,,

I'm AGREE with you as i knew all of that when i have read my "owner manuel" and have sourced infos before to buy this bike ...

Except that KAWIE shop oferred me a very nice brandnew small green book with my 3 preferates"CHOK DEE" numbers ...Should i give the small book to my kid for fill colors on the letters? :o

Richard ,do you think KAWA probes registration office as well??

I don't mind about speed ,my interest is to come back home and see a part of my maid ass washing my clothes on the floor full of muds,eheheh :D:D

Okay kids who have a D-Tracker or KLX250 not touch your bike. I searched the web, things just not computed .... Seems that the OP posted this message of fixing a KLX250 engine to almost all Asian related forums (with that I also found it in the spam)

WHAT YOU MEAN DUDE?

Sorry for the delay on getting back to people please read the following

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}For all those riders who have a restricted bike there is now a kit available to derestrict them.

The way you will know if your bike is restricted is it will have a top speed of between 112 – 120Kmh on the flat tucked in and be really underpowered going up mountains and feel like a 125 on the free way.

Once you fit the kit the bike will reach 132Kmh sat up and over 140Kmh tucked in, I have seen 150Kmh down a hill and tucked in!

The restrictor fitted by Kawasaki works by retarding the ignition timing. So the kit does not actually increase the power of the bike and thereby the engine is not put under any more strain and will have the same life span as a stock set up.

The kit costs 2800 baht to purchase and is free post to any were within Thailand.

It takes 10 mins to fit the kit, all the internal components are housed with in a “black” box that you can drive a car over or submerge in water and it will not damage anything at all!

The kit comes with full fitting instructions and is really easy to fit; it has been tried and tested on 4 machines so far and has received great reviews.

I am acting as a go between for a friend, should you wish to have further details then please send me a PM

It is worth noting that some bikes have come from the factory unrestricted and others have unrestricted them self’s after accident damage. This can not be explained yet, there are 5 that I know off so far.

All the after market Exhaust systems that we have tested so far have all given the bike a gain in one area but a loss in another, We have not found one system that actualy inceases power over the stock item. We are however constantly researching systems and doing real life tests with identical machines going up a mountain so they are under real load. None of this guess work or "I think it goes a bit quicker mate" I do however feel the weight loss and increase in noise levels over the stock item is worth the money.

Please mail me to ensure a quick reply.

I also forgot to mention the derestriction kit will also increase your power for getting up and over mountains and the bike will actualy pull threw out the rev range and increase your riding pleasure and stop the bike from feeling like a 125!

I do agree with most people top speed is not the aim here but being able to over take quickly and smoothly is as I see it very important

Happy riding

OK PBIMPB

BACK HOME ,IT WAS A PLEASURE TO MET YOU ,IT'S ALSO A PLEASURE FOR MY BIKE TO RIDE UNRESTRICTED NOW .

BELIEVE THAT I HAVE TO LOOSE FEWS KILOS TO REACH 150KM/H DOWN AN HILL! :D

ANYWAY I WON'T STOP TO MOD'S HERE,DO NOT FORGET THE KN REFERENCES (I TOOK THE LASTS ONES FROM FAST CORNER,THEY WILL RECEIVE SOME SOON . )

SEE YOU SOON IN CM .

kEEP IN TOUCH :o

Iam working in conjunction with the guy who is supplying the kits or we can mod your bike to derestrict it, for all of those who are guessing on what were doing like knocking out restrictors in pipes and snipping wires, your all wrong, any one who rides one of these bikes will know that it will not rev out much over 8,500 RPM in third or higher and when your riding flat out on an open road that their is no throttle response between 3/4 and full throttle, what we are doing is not giving the bike any more power than it actually has, we are simply wiring in electronic components that bridges out the restrictor in the CPU. Kawasaki Chiangmai have done tests on my bike and cant find what we have done, they are eager to learn for them selves but of course were not giving up that info as we have spent a great deal of time working it out for our selves and developing the proceedure, with well over 3,000 klms of testing done and no complaints from any bike owner we have worked on, we are confident that we are on the mark, Kawasaki mechanics have been sending people to us to trick their bike up but dont just go in blasting it out in the shop that you want your bike done, go to the work shop and ask the tall, skinny, young mechanic that you would like to be put in contact with John or Brian to de restrict your bike. I will post a couple of email addresses so you can contact us directly because if you go through Kawasaki it will be a little more expensive for a kick back for the lad. We have also been testing different pipes and air box snorkels and have discovered that you may not get more top speed results but you can alter the power curve around the bottom to mid range, some of our results may help KLX owners who preffer to do more off road than on but we are still testing different options to bring the power more up in the top end range for D-Tracker owners and riders that do a lot more distance riding. Funny thing is that after market pipes sound good and i am definately a lover of a good note on my bike and to be heard in traffic but the stock pipe seems to be out performing all the rest, the feeling that you have more power once you put a different pipe on your bike is merely mind over matter and the after market copy pipes that they are selling at Kawasaki actually looses power in the top end range, but you would need to have your bike de restricted to realize that.

The Japanese CPU boxes that Kawasaki will be selling for 8,000 Baht to de restrict your bike are in Bangkok already and coming to Chiangmai soon but so far they dont seem to be achieving much more than what we can do for just over a 1/4 of the price.

John

For contact details, send me a PM.

I must say this sounds pretty convincing to me. When I listen to my bike, I can hear it saying "hey, I could go a lot faster right around the 4th - 6th gears". It does feel like an artificial restriction - most likely to pass strict exhaust laws...

So if I hear you right, your workaround just makes the bike rev higher than 8500 RPM? Up to how much? 10000? How does it affect fuel economy?

Go ahead Nikster, Brian did it for me,

Can expect more than 9000rpm in fourth then almost 10000 in fifth.

I think it 'll be more efficient if change the fuel injector diameter.(someone got tips?)

Fuel consommation?depend how you open your throttle,EHEH!!

No e-mail's please, contact the respective people through the PM function.

This said, I have installed their device on my bike (easy enough to do), and the difference is impressive.

Pulls through the revs in all gears, while before it felt that after a certain speed achieved, a restriction kicks in keeping the engine from revving over 8 to 8.5Krpm...

I must say this sounds pretty convincing to me. When I listen to my bike, I can hear it saying "hey, I could go a lot faster right around the 4th - 6th gears". It does feel like an artificial restriction - most likely to pass strict exhaust laws...

So if I hear you right, your workaround just makes the bike rev higher than 8500 RPM? Up to how much? 10000? How does it affect fuel economy?

Nikster

The bike has a rev limiter that cuts in around 10,500 rpm what we are doing does'nt affect that so their is no chance of over revving your bike, it does'nt seem to affect the fuel ecconomy as i seem to be getting the fuel warning light come on around the same ammount of klms as before because you are not riding flat out all the time, but i guess if you were doing a long highway trip and you were tucked in with the bike on full throttle all the way of course you would guzzle more fuel, but at least you can.

John

Nikster, it goes up to 10,000 RPM if you push it, in all but the top gear, but you wouldn't want to do that as the torque slowly tapers off above 9000.

With the device fitted, gear change seems to ideally be done just a tad above 9000, whereas before you were just wasting your time trying get it above 8000.

You get much better power in the 6500 to 9000 RPM band with the thing fitted.

On one of the most popular off road forums on the net was a thread since early November last year with Thai (and some Indonesian) KLX owners lamenting the lack of power. While owners in other countries all seemed to pleased with power, or if not had very easy options of increasing power/torque.

As it turns out most of the world gets this Kawa with a carburetor, with which it is easy to fiddle so to keep your inlet section in tune with whatever modifications you might do to the engine and/or exhaust.

In Thailand it comes with EFI, which on top of it restricts power above a certain speed by retarding ignition. Easily diagnosed as in first and second it would go straight to the redline, while in higher gears (read faster) it would completely fall dead at a tad above 8000 rpm.

I and some friends have been fiddling (exhaust, airbox...) with 1 bike before we had the device, and were simply not able to get much more out of the engine. Slightly better torque low end, but simply no high end power.

After we fitted the device, we actually are getting best performance with all the stock Kawa gear fitted!

For off road drivers, fitting a 13 tooth front sprocket takes just a little of the top end but increases torque on the wheel.

In short, my and my mechanic buddies have come to the conclusion, that with this bike what we get after the device is fitted, will be pretty much the most you'll get out of it, simply because the fitted injection system is not capable of injecting enough fuel to realize more power when you let the engine breath more through a better airbox/filter and exhaust system. You'd probably end up wrecking the engine though running lean!

I would love to know if you can just order Keihin injectors with a higher flow, much like Bosch and the other EFI producers. Now that would open up possibilities!

In the US they just stick a 300CC kit on it, bigger carb and exhaust and of they go. Which unfortunately with our injection system will be much more difficult to achieve unless we can easily (and cheap :o ) find bigge injectors then the stock fitted..

• 2 months later...
For 2,000 Baht I would be very interested to know what this guy could do... Anything I can think of what brings more power to the engine costs more then 2,000 Baht

132 km/h for FREE

1. Disconnect ECU from the rubber base (A)

2. Locate the light green wire (:)

3. Cut the light green wire close to ECU

4. Add a piece of wire to the light green wire (that you just have cut) to the side that comes out of the ECU (E) long enough to reach (F)

5. Disconnect (F)

6. Connect the wire you added in parallel to the black/red wire (G)

7. Connect again (F)

Ready

post-83591-1242984009_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stratosa, great tip!

Where do you find this? The writing is greek, no?

Is it on the web somewhere?..

Ah, at least, something for free!

Cheers,

Gobs

The writing is in Greek but you dont need the writing

Just follow the english instructions looking at the pictures.

Is not on the web because everybody is trying to sell the derestriction.

Stratos

P>S I have been in Ching Mai twice.I love Thailand

Edited by stratosa