If I Drop Dead Now

G54

Well no-one else is having a go at this one, so i will.

You don't say where your assets are located or what they consist of, which will have a bearing on the answer.

I'll assume all your assets are in Thailand and they are just the common things like a bank account, a car and condo all 100% in your name.

I would go to google and search for tilleke and gibbins bangkok. They are a law firm and they have a collection of good free papers in their web site. One is on family law and wills and it provides the formula under which assets are distributed if there is no Will (refer Consumer and Commercial Code). You can also just search google using "making thai will" or similar to find other relevant stuff.

If you are saying you have no family, no spouse, or spouses family & your son would refuse to accept anything, then I think it would just go to Thai Treasury. Take a look at the info online and see for yourself.

And of course if you are looking for someone to leave it to, I know someone in Chiang Mai who would be happy to help out :o

Well no-one else is having a go at this one, so i will.

You don't say where your assets are located or what they consist of, which will have a bearing on the answer.

I'll assume all your assets are in Thailand and they are just the common things like a bank account, a car and condo all 100% in your name.

I would go to google and search for tilleke and gibbins bangkok. They are a law firm and they have a collection of good free papers in their web site. One is on family law and wills and it provides the formula under which assets are distributed if there is no Will (refer Consumer and Commercial Code). You can also just search google using "making thai will" or similar to find other relevant stuff.

If you are saying you have no family, no spouse, or spouses family & your son would refuse to accept anything, then I think it would just go to Thai Treasury. Take a look at the info online and see for yourself.

And of course if you are looking for someone to leave it to, I know someone in Chiang Mai who would be happy to help out :o

The long and the short of it ? You cannot take it you with you when you go , have a good life and when you are gone LET THE GAMES BEGIN , you will have no control . :D

Well, I would rather not let the Government have it.

Maybe I ought to make a Will so they cannot get their grubby hands on my leftovers :D

Pretty much the same here as other places then.

Tomorrow I will make it out to someone I think deserves it. Better than 'THEY' get it.

Most of my assets are in the UK. But I would rather 'it' - my Thai assets - go to someone who deserves it than to the government.

Appreciate the comments :o

Things that can be easily grabbed, anyone who has the opportunity to steal it.

In the case of a things you can't drive off with like a condo, your relatives would have an opportunity to come to Thailand and begin legal proceedings to claim ownership. If they could afford the time it takes to finish that, they would get the condo. Otherwise, eventually I believe the condo (not the government) takes ownership eventually, but it takes lots of time.

If your wondering who to leave your assets to, feel freeto count on me. I wll make sure the government gets nothing.

nice avatar... i loved that episode... i was crying laughing...

To the OP. Why don't you just make up a will? Not difficult, I'm assuming you don't have many assets or you would already have a will. Or just write it down on a napkin and sign it. That'll do for those who have toasters, plastic chairs, 200baht fans, etc. to give away.

I started making my will when I was about 27-28... not much changes, beneficiariay is my ex-gf - I guess I should change that one since we've broken up for almost a year now) or my parents (who don't need it anyway) or some mutual combination in which they sort it out. Cars go to my friends, so they can remember who I banged in the backseat and smile about good old jcon back in the day...

Funny thing is that part of my will is bequeathing my trust back to the people who will bequeath it to me, if I die first... it sounds strange, but it's gotta be in there... freaky to think about. They spent their lives for my trust (which does not mature until an age in which they deemed fit, but such age is not going to see me get there at the current lifestyle) and now my guess is that if I go, they get to have a big party. That will be a rule in my will. jcon kicks the bucket, family MUST have rager of a party - in a G550, "no more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy!..." My college housemate had his trusts mature at age 20, 25, and 30, in increasing amounts... I often wonder how much is left (we pretty much took care of the 20-25 section!)

Make a will. It will save the family from fighting, which is un-called for when a loved one dies.....

If a person was in massive debt could they make a will and 'bequeath' said debt to say, the US Government? I'd enjoy that.

UK will is in place. A living Will I can alter whenever I wish. I was thinking of my Thai chattels. Not a lot of value in terms of hard cash in Farang terms, yet maybe to a Thai the goods might be worth something. To us the odd million Bahts worth of stuff may not be a lot.

Maybe I ought to make a note or two as to who gets it, but as they have a hard time reading English to even understand what the document might be, I would have to notify someone. Not sure who I could really trust in that respect. I change girlfriends too much to rely on one. Not enough to be an obvious single donation to anywhere/anyone in particular in respect of some organisation. A pain in the neck to fart about changing the document regularly - this year miss X, next year miss Y etc.

Yet maybe someone would like to have it. It feels somewhat of an odd situation. Anyone else in that situation? Leave it to the current g/f and horrocks to it?

Yep, you should make a Thai Will. Ideally make mention of the UK Will in it (and vice versa)

Don't just do it "on the back of a napkin". An improperly prepared Will can be found to be invalid and/or is more open to challenge (ie. by one of those ex's). Might as well do it properly if you are going to do it - use a lawyer not a do-it-yourself kit for example.

No matter what anyone (ie. relatives) say to you (or don't say to you) now, they can challenge the Will/Wills after you have gone especially if they feel that inadequate allowance has been made for them.

Wills need to be updated not just when your personal circumstances change, but also on the basis of changing laws and legal precedent. Most law firms have a standard Will template document. I asked mine how often he changes/updates his template - he said probably MONTHLY. So the chances of a 10 year+ old Will being still OK are slim.

It sounds like someone in you position might like to think about investigating good charities and leaving your gear to them.

Your son has first choice, mom and dad if that are alive, most likely everything will goe to the person closest to you here(live with you) have total asset to your belongs, it's all in your hand at the moment, do a Will or what ever it takes to see your finals wishes are take care of, good luck, hope you have a wonderful life in the LOS and live to be 103years young. :o

Well, I would rather not let the Government have it.

Maybe I ought to make a Will so they cannot get their grubby hands on my leftovers :D

Pretty much the same here as other places then.

Tomorrow I will make it out to someone I think deserves it. Better than 'THEY' get it.

Most of my assets are in the UK. But I would rather 'it' - my Thai assets - go to someone who deserves it than to the government.

Appreciate the comments :o

Baggsie your watch. :D

I executed a Thai will just last week and it feels good to know there won't be any squabbling if I shuffle off this mortal coil.

My Thai will takes care of everything in Thailand, condo, car. bank accounts, etc.

I have another will for my home country.

I've seen too many cases where the assets are in limbo with various interested parties scrambling to get something.

The lawyer in Pattaya charged me 8,000 baht to draw it up.

I heard that complications can happen even for the Thai treasury to take the money:

1. Things can easily be delayed for a long period of time in the event of no will, especially if there is any outstanding debt on a condo. This includes the annual maintenance charge, electricity and other charges. I knew a case where by the annual maintenance charge was left outstanding for more than two years, and the condo lodged a case with the district court to insist the building was sold off, so that the fees could be claimed. The condo management company was Thai style and prepared to sell of the condo very cheaply probably to someone related to them. Then there was lots of additional expenses and lawyer fees, plus they threw in a leaky pipe or something, claiming further expenses plus fees associated with calling the authorities and ambulance, etc at the time of the death and I therefore hate to think of how much money was eventually made by the condo management company. Even when the old mum did eventually did show up, they said the keys were held by the court, and she would have to contact various people and sign forms which she didn't of course understand. She tried to contact the Embassy for help but told to wait 3days for assistance, and then recommended a Thai law company by them who told her the case could take another 2yrs to close, and she'd probably have to return again to Thailand at least one more time. I am not sure the end result of the case, and it may well be still going on. The old mum may even have passed away before the case was closed.

2. There is a loop hole that can permit the bank to keep uncollected money rather than the government, if notification of death and other required documents from family members aren't collected for a period of about 5yrs I think (maybe 10yrs now). Also if the amount is below a certain amount, I remember it makes it easier for the bank to keep it.

(for a family member, especially distant one to collect money it's a complicated process requiring several witnesses, several signings, prove of real passport, etc and usually at least two trips over here, I've heard)

Conclusion is that if you think you're going to die, pay an extra year or so of annual service/maintenance charges, and over pay on other bills giving enough credit. Also only bring sizable assets in your old age if you can leave them to a Thai person, which of course is easy. If you need to leave to a foreigners (especially one living overseas) try and change assets into his/her name before hand to save them huge amounts of trouble.

Edited by Junglejumbo

I have to go see my Lawyer in a couple of weeks over the outstanding 100k owed, so I will have a word with him.

Strangely enough, there is a document in existence which allows a certain Thai friend to handle my affairs when I am out of the country - namely that 100k, but I'll have to check to see if it gives him the right to execute other business on my behalf. If it does not then I'll have to consider making a Will.

The main problem is who to give it all to. Girlfriends come and go. Maybe I'll let my friend have the lot and stuff any current shag on the go. That will cause fun :o

My mate's just made a will leaving it all to his TG the rest of the lads had a bet what year she or her family would bump him off. :o

That's a reasonable fear. To avoid being murdered by an heir, you can avoid telling the heir about the will and file it with a lawyer and name a third party (or probably just the lawyer) as the executor. Not foolproof but these murders do happen. If the heir is actually convicted of the murder, they are probably ineligible to receive the property.

About 15 years ago there was a report of a farang found dead at the bottom of a well.

His mother-in-law had him murdered to get the house he had bought in his wife's name.

You have been warned.

The charity sounds like a good idea. :o

UK will is in place. A living Will I can alter whenever I wish. I was thinking of my Thai chattels. Not a lot of value in terms of hard cash in Farang terms, yet maybe to a Thai the goods might be worth something. To us the odd million Bahts worth of stuff may not be a lot.

Maybe I ought to make a note or two as to who gets it, but as they have a hard time reading English to even understand what the document might be, I would have to notify someone. Not sure who I could really trust in that respect. I change girlfriends too much to rely on one. Not enough to be an obvious single donation to anywhere/anyone in particular in respect of some organisation. A pain in the neck to fart about changing the document regularly - this year miss X, next year miss Y etc.

Yet maybe someone would like to have it. It feels somewhat of an odd situation. Anyone else in that situation? Leave it to the current g/f and horrocks to it?

Tilleke and Gibbons was a good recommendation, although Sunbelt's connection with TV might be happy for your business. Make sure they have the full Thai name and home address of the beneficiary, not just a nickname and workplace to contact. Thai authorities would be looking for every and any excuse to mess with your ultimate wish. Legal firms will followup, but in the end it's a job their not going out of their way to finish quickly, the client ain't gonna complain!!!!!!!!!!! lol

How many of us who are in married or common law relationships here have filed a will or other legal documents that protects your rights in the event that your partner precedes you? More than most will have houses and land in their significant (Thai) others name so will they still have a roof over their head if the partner passes on first? There's also child custody issues too.