Villa Market In Phuket

thaigerd

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa market has great stuff, but I agree it takes a while to replace stock.

During my first visit the new one in Phuket a few weeks back, I nearly wept when I saw some of the offerings. I haven't had some of this stuff since I was back home.

Dr. Pepper (requested Mountain Dew and was told no problem..we shall see)

Kraft Cheese, (namely the shredded chedder)

Famous Amos Cookies,

Cheerios (mulitple flavors)

Doritos,

Beef Hot Dogs! (not Ball Park sadly, but Oscar Meyer will do)

Phuket Lager, (Why is it easier to find this in the states than in Phuket!? Now if we can just get them to carry Carlsburg!)

Rold Gold Pretzels,

Hot Pockets.

I just realized, I eat like shit.

As much as I love the place, Villa aren't very good at replacement.

No crumpets, or, breakfast sausages for two weeks now.

Ask at The Bakery for crumpets. I went there this evening and the girl said that the wife had made some and they'd sold out! Not sure if that's 100% correct (maybe they were gone because I had them all yesterday), but the more people ask for them, the more they'll make.

• 2 weeks later...

This one for Gerd:

"S-Pure Pork Chops" - why do they cut all the fat and rind off?

I bought 4 tonight, all with no fat. Good quality meat, but very boring without the fat and rind.

In England it was common practice for the butcher to ask "Rind on or off?" when customers were buying pork chops. The rind and fat make crunchy crackling, if you cook the chops correctly.

So can't they sell some with rind on?

This one for Gerd:

"S-Pure Pork Chops" - why do they cut all the fat and rind off?

I bought 4 tonight, all with no fat. Good quality meat, but very boring without the fat and rind.

In England it was common practice for the butcher to ask "Rind on or off?" when customers were buying pork chops. The rind and fat make crunchy crackling, if you cook the chops correctly.

So can't they sell some with rind on?

Sorry to tell you that I have nothing to do with the pork section.

Gerd

You are not in England, Jetset.

...or Kansas, Dorothy. :)

Very bad for you - cholestrol (sp??), blocked arteries and all that.

My cholesterol level is checked regularly and is fine, thanks. :D

Gerd

Thanks Gerd - I'll ask at the counter in Villa. I hope they understand what I want...

Fat: ไข

Rind: เปลือก

You are not in England, Jetset.

...or Kansas, Dorothy. :)

Very bad for you - cholestrol (sp??), blocked arteries and all that.

My cholesterol level is checked regularly and is fine, thanks. :D

Gerd

Thanks Gerd - I'll ask at the counter in Villa. I hope they understand what I want...

Fat: ไข

Rind: เปลือก

Dear Customer,

We will inform our butcher in Phuket to keep more fat at the pork chops in the future :D

Best Regards and thanks for your feedback!

After waiting for four weeks for crumpets to reappear, I bought the last bag today (yipee!).

Does this mean another four week wait?

Try The Bakery - just north of Tesco Park, Chalong. He seems to be making them once per week on Wednesdays, but as my freezer is full of them, I haven't been there for a few days. I have a standing order for 8 every Wednesday, so I'll be there tomorrow to see if he's made some this week.

Dear Customer,

We will inform our butcher in Phuket to keep more fat at the pork chops in the future :D

Thank you very much Mr VillaMarket - much appreciated. :)

I'll have a look tomorrow!

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much Mr VillaMarket - much appreciated. :)

I'll have a look tomorrow!

Had a look. Some chops at the back had about 3mm more fat on them, none had the rind "เปลือก".

I showed the guy the Thai word for "rind" and he looked puzzled. Maybe he was thinking "Why does this farang want to eat the skin?" Which is a valid question, as I don't believe many Thais would know how to cook pork chops so that the skin turned into crackling, or even have an oven hot enough to do it.

Anyway, he said he'd leave the skin on for tomorrow. I'll see what he comes up with.

Maybe I should take a picture or two with me:

Before: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After:

pork_loin_chops_rind_on_0101.jpg. . . . . . . roastpork_loin.jpg

Feeling peckish? f080.gif

:D

...Anyway, he said he'd leave the skin on for tomorrow. I'll see what he comes up with....

Went the following day... no pork chops with the rind on. Zilch, nada, nowt.

Had a small gathering of five of the staff, all smiling and promising they'd make sure they would have some on Monday. That gave them 4 days to sort something out.

Went on Monday. Shocked looks on their faces: "Oh my Buddha! He's come back, just like he said he would!". Did they have what they promised? No.

More gatherings, more promises. Even had one Thai named "Don" tell me the next batch of pork backs were expected from Bangkok within 30 minutes and he offered to call me and let me know if they had the rind on. So I gave him my number.

Did he call? What do you think?

"Piss-up" and "brewery" spring to mind.

After waiting for four weeks for crumpets to reappear, I bought the last bag today (yipee!).

Try The Bakery - just north of Tesco Park, Chalong. He seems to be making them once per week on Wednesdays, but as my freezer is full of them, I haven't been there for a few days. I have a standing order for 8 every Wednesday, so I'll be there tomorrow to see if he's made some this week.

As I have never seen crumpets in Villa I tried The Bakery yesterday & picked up 7 of them. I hope they were not part of your order as the girl told me they can only make one at a time & only on Wednesdays. Have you tried any of their breads?

As I have never seen crumpets in Villa I tried The Bakery yesterday & picked up 7 of them. I hope they were not part of your order as the girl told me they can only make one at a time & only on Wednesdays. Have you tried any of their breads?

So it was you, you bugger! :)

She said someone had already had some, so she made some more because she knew I always have a few. Next week I'll go on Tuesday and make sure she puts some aside for me. :D

They're not too bad are they? A bit sticky, and she has problems getting enough bubbles on the surface, but overall 7 out of 10. My freezer is still full of them from previous weeks, but I feel obliged to buy some each week as she's making them specially. :D

Their breads? Yes - love 'em. 35 baht for a large French bread or sliced brown. And their hot dogs rolls with sesame seeds - yummy toasted. I put the French bread in my electric oven for 5 minutes to get the top crusty - makes it taste really good.

It's good to see the business is thriving - the owner is building an extension at the back of his shop, and he's already built a roof for the new car park at the front.

Good news regarding chops with the rind on. I got a call yesterday and picked up 6 of them in the evening. Actually, they weren't chops, they were slices of loin - i.e. no bone. Ah well, better than nothing. The fat beneath the skin was surprisingly thick - about 1/3 the width of the meat.

So I cooked them in the oven and managed to get the fat to go crunchy and the skin to turn into crackling. Not perfect, but hopefully the next ones will be better...

gallery_35489_952_61649.jpg

Good news regarding chops with the rind on. I got a call yesterday and picked up 6 of them in the evening. Actually, they weren't chops, they were slices of loin - i.e. no bone. Ah well, better than nothing. The fat beneath the skin was surprisingly thick - about 1/3 the width of the meat.

So I cooked them in the oven and managed to get the fat to go crunchy and the skin to turn into crackling. Not perfect, but hopefully the next ones will be better...

gallery_35489_952_61649.jpg

Looks like it was worth the wait & good to know they are responsive to their customers even if it takes a bit of perseverance. I noticed they have vegemite in stock but I am still using the large jar I have from NZ but have yet to see the fabled Dr Peppers which I recall from many years ago as being really nice.

Sorry about the crumpets but they are pretty good. Two were still warm & crispy when I got home so I immediately put lashings of butter & blueberry jam which replaced my evening meal. When I was young I used to eat crumpets with butter & golden syrup.

Looks like it was worth the wait & good to know they are responsive to their customers even if it takes a bit of perseverance. I noticed they have vegemite in stock but I am still using the large jar I have from NZ but have yet to see the fabled Dr Peppers which I recall from many years ago as being really nice.

Sorry about the crumpets but they are pretty good. Two were still warm & crispy when I got home so I immediately put lashings of butter & blueberry jam which replaced my evening meal. When I was young I used to eat crumpets with butter & golden syrup.

Yes, it helps to persevere with a smile! And, hopefully, now they've supplied it once, they should be able to do it again.

I've never tried Dr. Peppers, but now I'm tempted if I ever see any.

No problems about the crumpets. I'll make sure she keeps a week's supply for me somewhere other than on the front shelves! :)

Yes, Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup - that's what I used to put on them in the UK, although a UK ex-girlfriend did suggest a fried egg. Cheddar cheese is also good.