How Many Thailand Based Expats Plan On Returning Home

Ulysses G.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon no one really wants to leave thailand,only lack of income or extremely poor health would set someone off on the thoughts of leaving.often hear of derelict farangs still staying(visa long gone and money too)imo thailand gets in your blood,possible asia in general.....................would be hard to leave.

I'm going nowhere. Strangely enough I've not been affected at all by the economic situation with business up by around 30% year on year and no sign of a decrease in tourist numbers....

Where are you that the numbers of tourists are not down? My wife has a couple of shops at the night bazaar in chiang mai and she says the numbers are down and the ones that are here are not spending as much.

Personally my business is up from last year but that only brings me back to what they were my first year in business. No where near my best year.

edit to add if you have not figured it out last year was my worst ever.

Edited by wolfmanjack

I'm going nowhere. Strangely enough I've not been affected at all by the economic situation with business up by around 30% year on year and no sign of a decrease in tourist numbers....

Judging by what I saw at the Suvarnabhumi airport Sunday business will slow down, it was so quiet that it look like a remote provincial airport. I never saw Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang so quiet even in low season.

Monday I was at Panthip Plaza and it was also very quiet, I must have seen more monks than farang.

Walking on Sukhumvit was surreal not much people on the side walk and some of the street vendors did not even care to open for business.

I think the political situation with the economic situation will hit Thailand hard this year even if some politicians say that is not so bad.

I wonder how many buildings will stay unfinished this time in Bangkok.

Where are you that the numbers of tourists are not down? My wife has a couple of shops at the night bazaar in chiang mai and she says the numbers are down and the ones that are here are not spending as much.

Personally my business is up from last year but that only brings me back to what they were my first year in business. No where near my best year.

edit to add if you have not figured it out last year was my worst ever.

I'm actually based on Koh Tao for business. The only reason I can think of to explain the increase in business would be demographics. A lot of the well known destinations such as Phuket and Koh Samui I believe attract the 2 week package holiday brigade, wife, kids etc. First thing to go in economic crisis is obviously the holidy. Koh Tao on the other hand attracts the young backpacker on gapyear etc who seem to be taking the view that they've earned their year away and are going whatever the situation. Just my opinion and probably totally wrong!

I was thinking of going home in 2011 early last year, mainly to spend some time with the folks while I still can, but after my trip in Oct and what with the news, there is no compelling reason to jump from a moderately warm skillet into the fire.

Judging by what I saw at the Suvarnabhumi airport Sunday business will slow down, it was so quiet that it look like a remote provincial airport. I never saw Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang so quiet even in low season.

Well I flew back last week on a Thai Airways flight, fully booked and it was the most expensive flight I have ever taken.

Also the biggest queues I have ever seen at immigration. So it all depends on when you arrive

Tony

Well I flew back last week on a Thai Airways flight, fully booked and it was the most expensive flight I have ever taken.

Also the biggest queues I have ever seen at immigration. So it all depends on when you arrive

Tony

Same here, a couple of weeks back flew Seoul - Bangkok - London and back. All the planes were as close to 100% as I could tell and immigration at Suvarnabhumi whilst not the biggest queues I've seen were close.

Currently I am working out of Seoul but due to cutbacks will not be transferring to site as planned so will be out of work come end April. If I get a new contract by then I'll go where ever that work is (but not UK for tax reasons) if not I'll return to Thailand. My money will go a whole lot further there than virtually anyplace else, I am comfortable there, I can still be available for work via the internet and I can fly direct BKK to virtually anyplace I will need to.

Tony

Same here, a couple of weeks back flew Seoul - Bangkok - London and back. All the planes were as close to 100% as I could tell and immigration at Suvarnabhumi whilst not the biggest queues I've seen were close.

Currently I am working out of Seoul but due to cutbacks will not be transferring to site as planned so will be out of work come end April. If I get a new contract by then I'll go where ever that work is (but not UK for tax reasons) if not I'll return to Thailand. My money will go a whole lot further there than virtually anyplace else, I am comfortable there, I can still be available for work via the internet and I can fly direct BKK to virtually anyplace I will need to.

do you think the planes are full because the airlines cut back the number of flights?as i posted before,someone had remarked that phuket was very busy now.

It's a bit too early to tell. Apart from the worldwide recession which I gloomily predict will deepen before it starts to improve around 2014, there's another, more local turn of events that I reckon will probably have a greater impact. Last years rodeo was a just a warm-up.

It's always good to have a contingency plan anyway, just in case.

Well I for one will be returning home at the end of this contract. That is likely to be either the end of May this year or May 2010.

However as I am working in New Zealand and my family is in Thailand, then that is where I will be heading back to, near Khampaeng Phet and hopefully never to leave again. :D :D :D:o