Does "all" Falong Mail Get Stolen"

IanForbes

Back in the 90's I lived up in C.Rai province,all postage from the UK sent to me which was letters,packages,mags and Birthday/Xmas cards all arrived,sometimes it took a while but it always got there and my address was in a small village why up in the sticks.

I moved to Pattaya around 11 years ago and at least 50% of my mail from home never arrived and the mail that did had usually been tampered with.

Now I tell my family/friends not to bother sending mail anymore.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been waiting on a substantial amount of money coming to me in the form of US treasury Checks and am really starting to get worried at this point. They were posted 3 weeks ago, and since then i have received a few things that were posted only last week. Any advice on this?

I have been waiting on a substantial amount of money coming to me in the form of US treasury Checks and am really starting to get worried at this point. They were posted 3 weeks ago, and since then i have received a few things that were posted only last week. Any advice on this?

That is a long wait indeed. Was it send with registerd mail ? If not you could try the post office but i don't give you much of a chance.

Here i get 99% percent of all the stuff i buy on ebay. I sometimes tip the mailman and he knows me well. But im not sure its the same in tourist area's

I'm surprise at a lot of the replies, I too have never in 6years have had any trouble with post getting to me from the UK and Ireland, also posting or receiving to and from anywhere in Thailand.

The only problem I have is about when it gets into the UK.

Of course it wasn't sent by registered mail. Only a highly intelligent government bureaucracy like the VA could send me $10000 in treasury checks and pay .60$ in postage. I imagine I shouldn't worry to much about them being cashed as I doubt anyone could do it without a passport, however I am back in school and not working now and have been waiting for this money for sometime. The VA also didn't process my direct deposit and instead mailed me paper checks.

For the record I live mid suk, so your saying I should check the post office for my area.

Once I found out they didn't process my direct deposit I immediately panicked. I live in a high rise, where all the mail is delivered and then sorted by the office and security staff. Needless to my confidence in the security staff is seriously lacking...

For the record I live mid suk, so your saying I should check the post office for my area.

Once I found out they didn't process my direct deposit I immediately panicked. I live in a high rise, where all the mail is delivered and then sorted by the office and security staff. Needless to my confidence in the security staff is seriously lacking...

You could go to the post office in your area.. but i would not get my hopes off they will in all probability tell you they dont have it (bring a thai speaker)

For reliable delivery in Thailand use Registered Mail (Long Tabien)

it is only a small extra cost.

If you are loosing incoming mail on a regular basis, then you can complain.

I had to many years ago. Eventually a postal inspector came to see me

and apologised. Apparently the local postman had been dumping the mail

not delivering it.

Service improved after that.

I have never had a problem with incoming mail, sent boxes from Bahrain and Iraq after finishing projects, and family has sent things from the U.S. it took awhile but all arrived intact.

I did have a couple of outgoing things I had ordered to be sent to Bahrain that never showed up.

Edited by beechguy

I always get my mails/parcel/packages from Bangkok-Nan, States-Nan, States-Bangkok, Hong Kong-Mahasarakham...whether sent via ordinary air mail or registered/EMS. Although, there was a time that Thailand Post office charged us for the box/parcel from the United States to Bangkok. The box contains chocolates and personal stuffs.

My family don't bother sending anything either anymore. It costs a fortune to send parcels from the UK and I have received one in the whole time of being here (I'm in Koh Samui). I am still waiting for Christmas presents from the last Christmas and the Christmas before. Even when my friend wrote the addresses in Thai they didn't arrive. I've given up all hope now and just bulk buy (mainly clothes) when I'm back in the UK now.

ianforbes .

im still waiting for 2 bog standard xmas cards ( not worth stealing ) that were posted from the uk in november 08

but my registered mail ( has to be signd for replacement crediit / debit cards from the uk have always arrived ok in the 4 years ive been here )

regards ....... dave2

Must have been some surprise money in there? Not any more.

i have been sending mail to thailand for 20 years and never lost a single item .and that was to girls in bangkok in the days before email and computers , james sydney and hat yai

I have never lost a thing in the mail here. (I have gotten a few things rather slower than I expected to though)

Nor have I. Posted items in country and out of country {to and fro} and all items always arrive at a reasonable time that would be expected. Actually, this is probably the rule. I believe the OP just had a string of bad luck.....and assuming that because his bad experiences must be universal for all Farang. Naturally....;)

I have never lost a thing in the mail here. (I have gotten a few things rather slower than I expected to though)

Nor have I. Posted items in country and out of country {to and fro} and all items always arrive at a reasonable time that would be expected. Actually, this is probably the rule. I believe the OP just had a string of bad luck.....and assuming that because his bad experiences must be universal for all Farang. Naturally....;)

Considering that I started this topic OVER TWO YEARS AGO, things have changed a bit since that time. I've since moved to another area in Chiang Mai and have not had problems in this location. I believe a lot of the problem lies in certain sub-stations. I mail letters to Canada on a regular basis and they always go through, but I'm not so certain about gifts coming INTO Thailand. I won't send anything from abroad to Thailand or any Asian country.. I have also been told that the post office has scanners that can tell if money is within an envellope. I have no way of knowing if that rumour is true or not, and I'm not willing to risk it. I don't make any assuptions that I can't back up with fact. I just relate what happens to me personally. And, naturally I would have my doubts about mailing things to Thailand when all 5 gifts I've sent disappeared. I've never had anything go missing in Canada... although it sometimes takes longer to arrive than it should.

Considering that I started this topic OVER TWO YEARS AGO, things have changed a bit since that time. I've since moved to another area in Chiang Mai and have not had problems in this location. I believe a lot of the problem lies in certain sub-stations. I mail letters to Canada on a regular basis and they always go through, but I'm not so certain about gifts coming INTO Thailand. I won't send anything from abroad to Thailand or any Asian country.. I have also been told that the post office has scanners that can tell if money is within an envellope. I have no way of knowing if that rumour is true or not, and I'm not willing to risk it. I don't make any assuptions that I can't back up with fact. I just relate what happens to me personally. And, naturally I would have my doubts about mailing things to Thailand when all 5 gifts I've sent disappeared. I've never had anything go missing in Canada... although it sometimes takes longer to arrive than it should.

Any stuff l send out of LOS no problem but it seems once mail coming in gets to the guy on a delivery bike ;). I have been to the main sorting office and spoken to the manager to ask why stuff doesn't arrive, but just get a big smile and shrugged shoulders. :rolleyes:

Ian could you specify which post office / area of Chiang Mai you were in where the mail always failed? Would be good to know where to avoid.

I have found the mail system to be honest here imo, however it is a race to see who gets it out the mailbox first, leave it for more than an hour it is gone.

Which, according to my wife, is the problem. It's not the post office, it's someone walking past who sees a package from abroad sticking out the post box so steals it to see if there is anything valuable in it.

Cards etc. we send normal post, but anything of any value we send registered so it has to be signed for and not just left. Never had anything go missing. Have had a couple arrive with stickers to say they've been opened and checked by customs, though.

Also, if sending to Bangkok addressing the envelope or package in English should be ok, but to a rural area? How many post offices in the UK, States, Canada etc. could deliver a letter if the address was written in Thai?

Never missing, but held up at Thai customs for longer periods of time for sure. I once ordered something from e-bay with a tracking number. I waited for 7 weeks *after* it arrived in Thailand to declare it missing and asked for a refund. 3 days after receiving the refund, my package arrived. It took customs 7 weeks to process my book.

Things move a bit slower here I suppose. :)

Well. I can tell you how bad it is..... I've had three companies in Hong kong tell me they won't send packages to thailand becuse they get lost too much!

That says it all. the thailand post office needs to clean itself up of thieves.

Greg

I have found the mail system to be honest here imo, however it is a race to see who gets it out the mailbox first, leave it for more than an hour it is gone.

Which, according to my wife, is the problem. It's not the post office, it's someone walking past who sees a package from abroad sticking out the post box so steals it to see if there is anything valuable in it.

Cards etc. we send normal post, but anything of any value we send registered so it has to be signed for and not just left. Never had anything go missing. Have had a couple arrive with stickers to say they've been opened and checked by customs, though.

Also, if sending to Bangkok addressing the envelope or package in English should be ok, but to a rural area? How many post offices in the UK, States, Canada etc. could deliver a letter if the address was written in Thai?

The post office guy always hands me my packages or calls the wife when im not there because i tipped him a few times. Just good service of the guy and i have only lost one out of many packages (and that one might have been lost somewhere else).

I've never had any problems shipping from USA to Thailand and vice versa. Some of you have bad luck I guess.

After reading some of the others' miserable experiences {and yes, Thailand does have a nasty rep as such applies to mail service} and empathy extended, I might offer a remedy to these failures. Try posting letters and parcels by certified or "express" post - either receiving or sending. Every govt post/mail service around the world has their equivalent to special posting. The other obvious options are through other international carrier services as UPS, DHL, FedEx, Western Union, etc. The only downside to these companies is that most don't deliver to rural or out-of-the-way locales.