Health Insurance Problem

Jimjim1968

Hi,

I am an English teacher in Hat Yai. The company I work for provides me with a government health insurance policy and up until now has been excellent. I have had a few operations over the past few years and everything was paid for and the hospital service has been excellent.

Now though, the government have removed my current hospital (Rajyindee) from their list and I have to go to a different one (Hat Yai Hospital). Some friends, falang and Thai, have said this hospital is not so great. Wards full of ailing people, student doctors and that it is a hospital for the poor (nothing against the poor). I wonder why as a teacher in one of the best schools in Hat Yai I have to go to this hospital. So, I am a bit worried.

I have thought about getting private insurance, and a friend put me in touch with a rep from AIA. Now I have done some research on them and have them to not have a good history.

So, should I stay with the government policy and hope for the best or try to go private (and hope for the best).

Any advise, most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

If your're talking about the Thai social Security system, I don't think you have much choice in the matter. You could choose to have the government plus the private insurance, but not private insurance alone.

You might contact the social security office there and ask if there are other choices of hospitals in the area.

I've never seen a government hospital that didn't have wards of ailing people. That's what they are there for.

Hi,

I am an English teacher in Hat Yai. The company I work for provides me with a government health insurance policy and up until now has been excellent. I have had a few operations over the past few years and everything was paid for and the hospital service has been excellent.

Now though, the government have removed my current hospital (Rajyindee) from their list and I have to go to a different one (Hat Yai Hospital). Some friends, falang and Thai, have said this hospital is not so great. Wards full of ailing people, student doctors and that it is a hospital for the poor (nothing against the poor). I wonder why as a teacher in one of the best schools in Hat Yai I have to go to this hospital. So, I am a bit worried.

I have thought about getting private insurance, and a friend put me in touch with a rep from AIA. Now I have done some research on them and have them to not have a good history.

So, should I stay with the government policy and hope for the best or try to go private (and hope for the best).

Any advise, most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

TerryLH suggestion is very good for someone in your position - please look at the Thai Visa Medical Plans :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/medical-pack...plans-1--2.html

Most government hospitals have private rooms. While the soc sec only pays for a shared room, they allow you to upgrade for the difference in cost.

I've done that a couple of times and never had to pay very much per day.

I know what you mean about the beds in the corridors.