Free Tourist Visas Between March 5 And June 4, 2009

Free tourist visas between March 5 and June 4, 2009

BANGKOK: -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications for a three month period, effective 5 March, 2009 to 4 June, 2009.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designed checkpoints, will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 5 March to 4 June B.E.2552 (2009).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Tourism Authority of Thailand 2009-02-27

http://www.tatnews.org/latest_update/detail.asp?id=4235

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most things that this government is doing, the action might sound sympathetic but in the en it is opportunistic at best. If you want to attract tourists why do they need to get to a visa office, an embassy or a consultate. Just give them a three month stamp on arrival. No hassle, people can leave the same day. It is a bit like the economic stimulus package. Raising petrol prices with 5 baht including vat and complaining that the car industry is having a bad time.

But than again the ruling people want to benefit but at the same time they want to enforce a kind of police state regime.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designed checkpoints, will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 5 March to 4 June B.E.2552 (2009).

An air ticket from Europe cost some 50.000 THB and a visa cost some 1.200 THB???

Who are they trying to fool. Not the incoming tourists for sure.

It's nothing else than an attempt to show they are doing something. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I know, I put on my dark sunglasses and no one can see how embarresed i am. :o

That is a very symbolic effort. Lets get something real, like 5 years retirement visa and landownership.

I heard from a friend that you can now own 1.5 ha of land in the Philippine (I am not sure about the details).

Robert

Just as symbolic as changing the border run visas to 15 days from 30.Next.......

Free tourist visas between March 5 and June 4, 2009

BANGKOK: -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications for a three month period, effective 5 March, 2009 to 4 June, 2009.

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Tourism Authority of Thailand 2009-02-27

oh yes thats going to fill the empty hotels and create jobs---NOT.maybe the drink campain will work--NOT,maybe pigs will fly --NOT,the free entry to national parks?NOT

nothing rational and benificial will ever get done here unless its a ferang idea.

I do not know how many years I visited Thailand with a EU passport which upon arrival got automatically a stamp in the passport authorising a stay of 3 months : this was the rule at least from the early 1980ies until mid 1990 ies. To re-instate this would be more simple because in large countries potential tourists sometimes live many hundred kilometers from the closest Thai Embassy or Consulate.

If it means I can come for 3 months for free instead of just one month for free then it's worth having. 1,200 baht is better than a smack in the mouth (perhaps I shouldn't use such analogies given some of the other postings I see on tv.c!)

Just give them a three month stamp on arrival. No hassle,

Yes wrecker that is such a good idea.....Its too simple thou to put into effect...Its instant tourists they want and that would encourage people to travel here and stay longer and even if they moved around Asia they would be able to come back to Bangkok and fly home...

Does it also include Honorary Consulates?

This will have zero effect on the number of visitors to Thailand.

Little effect anyway. If they want to boost tourism numbers, they really need to get the cost of airfares down and offer actually attractive hotel packages (unlike the usual b.s. discounts from rack rate like this offer in Phuket). But those two things are sorta beyond the government's control.

And some people just cannot be happy. They are trying to stimulate tourism. A single entry visa will cover most of the short term tourists that come here.

Most Western short term tourists do not need a Visa. They get in for free anyway.

If they come in less than 30 days, yes.

how about something to put a smile on the faces of the people who are here long term, add to the local economy and pay taxes?

as usual the only gifts we get are more stringent rules.

good point there.

i put over 4 million baht into the Thai economy last year feeding clothing and housing my wife's family, friends, etc lol

That is a very symbolic effort. Lets get something real, like 5 years retirement visa and landownership.

I heard from a friend that you can now own 1.5 ha of land in the Philippine (I am not sure about the details).

Robert

A 5year visa extension and no 90 day reporting.

:o:D:D

What a wonderful dream. If only!!

:D:D:wai:

Free gifts would be more efficient..

Dailly free beers :D:D , Free massage , free girl, or even free museum or mational park entrance (at least the same price for Farangs as Thai)....

Imagination had never been the main Thai characteristic.

Enjoy :o

Robert

I work in the Philippines the place is a Dump and the corruption twice as bad.the roads are bad and it takes for ever to a few km. i would be back to Thailand tomorrow.