The Eternal Question...

johncitizen

i too have always wondered about this.

Wonder no more Bro, most are right handed and they set on the right side when driving, now I can only speak for my lady but she insist on sleeping on the right hand side of the bed :o:D

So does my lady, but she's left-handed.

My wife just sleeps in the midle and I sleep on the edge.

Think yourself lucky mine sleeps diagonally!!!!!

so do i, when i have the luxury of sleeping alone.

best digression i have read here in ages.

great op too

Why do Thai people drive on the LEFT side of the road... but insist on sticking to the RIGHT when they are walking up stairs and on footpaths!? The amount of times I've had to execute a tricky dodge because of this is incredible.

jc

Where have you been in Thailand where they drive on the left ??????????

Not to point out the obvious or perhaps the correct word is "oblivious"; but most crossovers, as well as most, if all the public stairs usually have the words;

เดินชิดขวา (dern-chid-kwa) "walk stay to the right".

Not that I'm picking nits (being nit free at the moment), nor am I saying thais actually follow ANY posted instructions, but this could be the answer to your puzzling conundrum.

If this is the only thing you've pondered whilst living among the ever smiling, yet diminutive, native inhabitants here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", you've got way too much free time.

Not to point out the obvious or perhaps the correct word is "oblivious"; but most crossovers, as well as most, if all the public stairs usually have the words;

เดินชิดขวา (dern-chid-kwa) "walk stay to the right".

Not that I'm picking nits (being nit free at the moment), nor am I saying thais actually follow ANY posted instructions, but this could be the answer to your puzzling conundrum.

If this is the only thing you've pondered whilst living among the ever smiling, yet diminutive, native inhabitants here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", you've got way too much free time.

yes, well that could be said of most discussions here.

Walking up stairs is dependent on which side the central bannister is on. Always walk up away from the bannister.

There's rules for walking up staircases? I had no idea.

Nor me.. no wonder the world is in such disarray !

totster :o

It's a safety issue.

If you're walking down the stairs and you trip you'd want the bannister to be handy to grab onto to stop yourself falling all the way down wouldn't you?

But if you're walking up the stairs and trip, you're only going to fall forward a little and be able to stop yourself.

So always walk down stairs at the side that the bannister is on.

Edited by PattayaParent

Walking up stairs is dependent on which side the central bannister is on. Always walk up away from the bannister.

When walking on a road with no pavement always walk towards the oncoming traffic.

When walking on a pavement Thais do not stick to the right, they wander all over like a drunk. Even my 4 year old commented on this today.

Agree on the 2 first paras.

The 3rd is silly.

Well someone agrees with me http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2565817

Only I've also found that they have a sixth sense to know when you're behind them and as you are about to pass on one side then step to that side for no reason at all and block you, which is what happened to my 4 year old who commented that the guy must be drunk.

many esarn people believe men must sleep closer to the buddha, if you have one in your bedroom.

Actually I read an article once that said that most men instinctively prefer to sleep on the side of the bed nearest the door - sort of a fight or flight thing. Think about it. Ever wonder why you walked into a strange room and plonked down on one side the bed, instead of the other? This could be your answer.

As to why you entered that strange room, feel free to suggest alternative theories.

in Japan there are. try walking up a staircase on the right side. people will just stare at you but not move. for us continental Europeans who are used to drive and walk on the right and not the wrong side quite difficult to adapt.

Nor me.. no wonder the world is in such disarray !

totster :o

it makes sense, the person going down is more likely to stumble and fall than a person going up, hence the bannister rule.

edit. what pattayaparent said.

Edited by mc2

For stairs, I always hog the bannister because of crook knees and I get away with it because they think I'm old. As for bed, I have always slept on the right. Bugger the door or my sword, it's just easier for me to throw the leg from that side :o