Is It Time To Welcome Back The Backpackers ?

ttthailand

...What's notably missing in KSR are the sex tourists. I find that quite refreshing.

Guess you haven't been any clubs at about midnight or so. Pretty full of freelancers and their non-sex tourist customers.

:o

TH

Well, not totally missing, true, but I'm comparing w/ Sukhumvit around Soi 4 or Soi Cowboy or most of Pattaya.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...What's notably missing in KSR are the sex tourists. I find that quite refreshing.

Guess you haven't been any clubs at about midnight or so. Pretty full of freelancers and their non-sex tourist customers.

TH

Well, not totally missing, true, but I'm comparing w/ Sukhumvit around Soi 4 or Soi Cowboy or most of Pattaya.

I agree, but of course, that is also true of the other 99.9% of Bangkok.

TH

Clearly most of the posters in this thread haven't been to KSR lately, as I have a few times to go to my favorite blues bar, Ad Here The 13th. So most of you are just talking through your hats.

KSR is crowded with all kinds of normal-looking tourists. Most are young people, but there are lots of older tourists as well, families even w/ the kids in tow. The young people look mostly like average college kids, and they look clean, too. Only a very small minority fits the "dirty hippy" stereotype, and many of those are old balding grey-haired dudes w/ ponytails. Most spend less on rent at KSR, but since many stay longer, that evens out w/ the short-time high-rent spenders. Now, some do eat at the food carts, but the restaurants at KSR aren't particularly cheap and they're crowded, too. I'd say an average brekkie would cost 100 baht or more. That's what I paid.

What's notably missing in KSR are the sex tourists. I find that quite refreshing.

that reply is spot on

I sometimes bring my visiting friends and family members to Khao San road (spelled wrong maybe).

Did it again the other day.

They wanted to see this so called backpackers paradise.

I knew they were in for a shocker.

They were shell shocked.

Drunken, filthy foreigners everywhere, walking around drinking from their big beer bottles.

The freelancers of course.

Full blast from the stereos from most of the shops.

The shops selling junk junk junk.

Hate the place, but for once it was amusing, just to see the faces of my visitors.

For a moment, one think one is in or around Walking Street in Pattaya. Another shit hole.

TH

I agree, but of course, that is also true of the other 99.9% of Bangkok.

TH

Which is irrelevant for this comparison and discussion, since the other 99.9% isn't regarded as tourist area at all where tourists stay and hang out on holiday.

Edited by JSixpack