Cat Cdma

DAndrew

I live in Jomtien Beach Condo building A2 and currently have TOT as my internet provider. When I got it, about a year ago, both TT&T and CAT said they could NOT provide ADSL service in my condo. Recently I have seen some advertising for CAT CDMA and am interested as my service from TOT ranges from poor to terrible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think that CAT cover the area. Hutch CDMA cover chonburi I think.

Hutch have a shop on South Pattaya Road near Soi Buakhow. If going from 2nd road towards Soi buakhow is on your right.

Search the forum for Hutch. Plenty info I think.

Hutch apparently now has CDMA EVDO.

Works all the way out at Lake Mabprachan, and the Nong Plalai area.

It seems out in the boonies speeds are better, over 1000 kbps. Tested in the Siam Country Club road (close to the railway) at 700 kbps.

In town it seems to drop as low as 300 kbps at busy times...

They have a promotion going now, just under 17,000 Baht for the device and 1 year free unlimited access. No work permit needed on the 1 year pre-paid package.

Most people dont know there have been a very good 3g service in Thailand for about 7 years! - CAT Telecom CDMA

I had the Sierra Wireless Aircard 5 years ago, and frequently got a 2mb connection with about 1mb being the norm. It ALWAYS worked, even worked in Vientiane and many small villiages in Thailand. It was MUCH better than any ADSL connection as many ADSL lines were very often down or clogged up with kids gaming (the 10,000 cost of the aircard kept the kids off i assume).

I keep reading posts saying "3G service now launced in Thailand" - but they have had it for years. I used to pay 640 baht per month for an unlimited connection.

And people say Thailand is third world!

Edited by CrossBones

Unless something has changed recently there is no roaming on the CDMA data system between CAT and Hutch

They had been disputing this for some time now. So if you live in the central 25 provinces around BKK then Hutch is it and the rest are covered by CAT. But you cannot roam between the two although the phone system will allow roaming just not the data system.

Hutch had the EVDO system a year or two ago and then stopped selling it. So, is someone saying they are now selling the higher speed EVDO?

Most people dont know there have been a very good 3g service in Thailand for about 7 years! - CAT Telecom CDMA

I had the Sierra Wireless Aircard 5 years ago, and frequently got a 2mb connection with about 1mb being the norm. It ALWAYS worked, even worked in Vientiane and many small villiages in Thailand. It was MUCH better than any ADSL connection as many ADSL lines were very often down or clogged up with kids gaming (the 10,000 cost of the aircard kept the kids off i assume).

I keep reading posts saying "3G service now launced in Thailand" - but they have had it for years. I used to pay 640 baht per month for an unlimited connection.

Very true, however, CAT CDMA was not nationwide as not available in the area's where Hutch had its stronghold (25 provinces in all!).

Hutch was stuck at CDMA 1X, so even a bit slower then Edge, although more stable.

Which is why I pointed out that for Pattaya, 3G CDMA EV-DO in certain area's is now an option!

Inquire at the Hutch office on South Pattaya Road, close to the Kasikorn bank.

They have 2 options, buy the modem at 10,000 Baht and take a subscription at 1000 Baht/month for unlimited access (which is a bit dearer the CAT I think),

or pay 17,000 Baht for the device including a full year unlimited access...

Very true, however, CAT CDMA was not nationwide as not available in the area's where Hutch had its stronghold (25 provinces in all!).

Hutch was stuck at CDMA 1X, so even a bit slower then Edge, although more stable.

Which is why I pointed out that for Pattaya, 3G CDMA EV-DO in certain area's is now an option!

Inquire at the Hutch office on South Pattaya Road, close to the Kasikorn bank.

They have 2 options, buy the modem at 10,000 Baht and take a subscription at 1000 Baht/month for unlimited access (which is a bit dearer the CAT I think),

or pay 17,000 Baht for the device including a full year unlimited access...

Monty, are yoou saying that Hutch is again selling EVDO? I thought they dropped that about a year ago. Is it system wide? I looked at their web site last night and I do not see any mention of EVDO only the MBI system I currently have.

They definitely are in Pattaya, and they seem to have wide coverage, not just some test area.

I have seen it work both inside Pattaya and up to about 15 km inland from Pattaya (East).

No idea what they're doing in other area's though.

Hutch is using the Huawei ec226 modem, which is a EV-DO rev A model...

• 11 months later...
They definitely are in Pattaya, and they seem to have wide coverage, not just some test area.

I have seen it work both inside Pattaya and up to about 15 km inland from Pattaya (East).

No idea what they're doing in other area's though.

Hutch is using the Huawei ec226 modem, which is a EV-DO rev A model...

i have cat cdma evdo used in samui moved to pattaya does anybodyknow if i can use same card for Hutch. have AIS dongle3g 10-0 kbps really bad.

i have cat cdma evdo used in samui moved to pattaya does anybodyknow if i can use same card for Hutch. have AIS dongle3g 10-0 kbps really bad.

I doubt you can use the CAT card, AFAIK they do not use simcards, but have your data hard coded on them.

Go to the Hutch shop on South Pattaya road and ask!

• 2 months later...

A quick warning for users looking at external antennas to boost their CDMA reception. I was given the contact details of Thailand CDMA by a CAT CDMA office when I made enquiries about external antennas. They have a website with a very obvious URL and supposedly supply a range of solutions. These people recommended a particular antenna and offerred delivery 3 working days later at a price of 3,800 baht. That was now three weeks ago and I have been told that it was delayed by the Red Shirts, that it was in the office but he was away and would be back the next day, that he would refund my money immediately, that it would be available for me to pick up the next day, that he would call me back first thing the next day, etc etc etc. I strongly recommend that nobody deals with these people in any way as you could lose your money and go through the same unpleasant process as I have.