Rented Properties: Who Does The Cleaning?

Would like to know how well maintained rented properties are during tenancy and the cost incurred.

I will start off.

I have a 2-bedroom 70sqm condo in Sukhumvit rented to a French guy with a Thai gf. They engaged a cleaning lady who comes in 3 times a week (3 hours a time). Cost is Baht 2,700 a month inclusive of laundry and ironing.

Edited by trogers

We are renting at present whilst we gather enough funds together for the house construction.

My wife does all the cleaning and washing (won't let cleaner anywhere near the place). The place is spotless, no cost, apart from feeding, clothing and loving my wife :o

Edited by Crossy

We are renting at present whilst we gather enough funds together for the house construction.

My wife does all the cleaning and washing (won't let cleaner anywhere near the place). No cost, apart from feeding, clothing and loving my wife :D

You are a lucky guy. Keep loving her...don't butterfly. :o

It takes a cleaning lady 3 hours to clean a 2 bedroom condo? She does this 3 times a week? The place must be like a hospital surgery room. Very, very clean.

One hour is spent on ironing clothes.

How do I know? I talked to the cleaning lady. That's one way to know if your property is been well-maintained.

one of my tenants hired a cleaner/babysitter/cook, she does as well laundry and ironing. 5 days per week, some 8h per day for 10k/month.

most of the tenants do clean (or not clean) by themselves, nothing you can do about it when you have already rented out. In extreme cases you might take part of the deposit when tenants depart for cleaning expenses - however I never did it this way. I had tenants after which I had to clean the house for days, but they stayed for many months and I hope they would be coming back in the future or tell their friends about the house.

Edited by londonthai

Would like to know how well maintained rented properties are during tenancy and the cost incurred.

Strange question :o

How well maintained they are? Very good. Moderately good. Moderately bad. or Bad

- depends on the tenants, and in part on the nature of the property (including rent level).

Your relationship with the tenants may also be significant - if you are a landlord who is fair and takes care of maintenance issues promptly then often the tenants will respect your property a little more.

Who does the cleaning? Tenants. The tenant's mum. Paid Help. or No-one

- depends on what the tenants want or can afford

How much does it cost?

Depends on who does it, the size and nature of the property, the location of the property, the level of cleanliness the tenants require, and how well they can negotiate

If you are very concerned about this issue you might insert into the lease a clause that you will organise cleaning, the cost for which will be included in the overall rent you charge. Although if something of value goes missing (or is damaged) from the condo you may find yourself the man-in-the-middle of a messy situation.

Strange question :o

If you are very concerned about this issue you might insert into the lease a clause that you will organise cleaning, the cost for which will be included in the overall rent you charge. Although if something of value goes missing (or is damaged) from the condo you may find yourself the man-in-the-middle of a messy situation.

I acquire old condo units in selective locations and spend quite a bit on refurbishing them for leasing.

My lease agreements are of standard terms, but I am selective in the choice of tenants and I will ask potential clients how the property is to be cleaned before making the lease agreement. I would recommend a part time cleaner to them if they do not have one, and will offer the tenant a discount in the rent to absorb part of the cleaning cost if the tenant has not make such an allowance in their budget.

not everybody likes a strange person (a cleaner) to disrupt their privacy and touch their property.

in thailand there is a language barrier and misunderstandings do happen, as well as some of the cleaners are not to everybody standards.

I don't care if the tenant cleans or not, some of them leave the house cleaner than when they moved in (usually those who believe that the rent was exeptionally good and would like to come back in the future), some much dirtier (usually very young or elderly).