Dangerous Bug? - Scolopendra Gigantea

TomBrown

Two main questions really; We've found these giant centipedes under a small hatch outside at the back of the kitchen, which come out when we use water there. As they are apparently poisonous, is there something I can do to make them go else where or kill them and any of their eggs? I've used the spray cans for killing other insects (cockroaches mainly) in that area, but these centipedes keep on reappearing.

The second question is, if bitten, how to deal with the bite. Obviously going to hospital is advisable if indeed they are poisonous, but for immediate attention, what to do?

Here a picture of one -

243px-Scolopendra_gigantea.jpg

Thanks,

Tom.

Edited by TomBrown

I've seen a few of them around here in Chiang Mai, and from everything I hear they DO have a venomous bite. I doubt if they would cause any serious effects, but everyone reacts differently to poisons. How to get rid of them I wouldn't really know. I kind of believe in live and let live, but I wouldn't want kids to step on one with bare feet.

It's a predator, goes even for mice and large spiders as tarantulas!

Even from smaller creatures then the one featured in the Pic, the bites can be very, very apinful, with swellings occuring in most of the cases, alsting from a couple of days up the 3 weeks!

Similiar to Scorpion or Hornet sting, the alreger, the more painful!

The humble TIGERBALM or similiar products have proven quite effective in treatment.

Rarely that a person doesn't suffer the typical effects.

Edited by Samuian

If you drown these critters in lao khaw the venom seeps out and the resulting brew is said to impart strength and mystical powers to those who drink it. Only mystical powers itt ever imparted to me was the ability to see double.

I don't know if there is any effective medicine to take if you do get bitten, although I think they sting rather than bite, but a good scrub with antiseptic would be a good start to avoid infection.

They like to live in dark, moist surroundings so to get rid of them raise whatever they are living under off the ground by a few inches and keep your yard clean and clear of piles of rotting vegetation or dead leaves.

Appears to be a young one. They grow to 9/10 inches long. Been known to kill a 50 kilo pig. Handle with extreme caution.

Erm....don't handle at all actually. :o Around the house we kill them....or the wife does. :D

Regards.

Appears to be a young one. They grow to 9/10 inches long. Been known to kill a 50 kilo pig. Handle with extreme caution.

Erm....don't handle at all actually. :o Around the house we kill them....or the wife does. :D

Regards.

Yip.

Mate of mine got stung by one a while back, his foot became the size of a football and he said it was agony. He spent 3 days in hospital on very strong pain-killers.

Avoid at all costs, they are very aggressive and will attack you without provocation.

A shovel works great. Make sure to chop both ends off & keep your parts away from the dam_n thing . It can still sting(similar to a snake with his head cut off.) Best to remove the centipede parts & let if fully die before getting near it. Or give it to a Thai. they will probably scarf it up!

It doesn't sting, it bites. A scorpion stings and their sting like a bee sting compared to the centipede. I don't kill scorpions or snakes but I kill any centipede on sight. Yes they are dangerous, won't kill you but will make you wish it had.

I used to see these monsters in Hawaii. I couldn't believe my eyes and screamed in panic as a 4 year old boy was playing with one....picking it up and letting it crawl on his face!!

His father stopped me running after the boy, laughing, he explained the boy had removed his stingers....and enjoyed freaking out tourists. :o

Chaindrite powder round the nest should kill it, does most everything else that crawls, walks or hops.

Pumpuiman post reminds me of one of one of my Kiwi Army friends who whilst his platoon were on manouvers in Brunei each member of the squad would adopt a pet centipede by tying a piece of thread around it's neck. They would then let the creature run around inside their jungle fatigues. After removing the biting part I might add, He also claimed that the feet dig in the skin and can cause a nasty infection as well so he advised me to always brush them off in the direction they are walking or crawling or whatever they do ugh!! :o

Out of all the things you don't want get bitten by in Thailand, the "dta-cahp" is very high on the list. People, especially children have been known to die from the bites, and having witnessed a few "bitings" first hand, seeing the person who was bitten rolling around in pure agony is enough of a deterant to keep well clear of those things.

We get 10 inchers at my house in Pattaya.

I had the great idea of buying a "stun gun" from a street vendor to shock them but to my surprise it didn't do ANYTHING to them. They didn't flinch. So I maced them with pepper spray. Again, nothing. I've scooped them up with a scooper and thrown them down the street. Nada.

Short of smashing them, I can't kill them.

My better half keeps telling me, that once you got a bite, you might get white hair. No idea whether this is true however.

I saw those a couple of times, and boy, those things are really fast!!!

Thais fear them like hel_l!

Two main questions really; We've found these giant centipedes under a small hatch outside at the back of the kitchen, which come out when we use water there. As they are apparently poisonous, is there something I can do to make them go else where or kill them and any of their eggs? I've used the spray cans for killing other insects (cockroaches mainly) in that area, but these centipedes keep on reappearing.

The second question is, if bitten, how to deal with the bite. Obviously going to hospital is advisable if indeed they are poisonous, but for immediate attention, what to do?

Here a picture of one -

Thanks,

Tom.

wow a very beautiful insect. :o

Here a picture of one -

Thanks,

Tom.

wow a very beautiful insect. :o

I understand the pentagon is developing a new desert tank encorporating enginerring principals learned through computerised study of their motility vectors :D

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the pentagon is developing a new desert tank encorporating enginerring principals learned through computerised study of their motility vectors :o

Placing the 50mm gun might be painful.

Winnie you vicious bitch!!

Regards.

• 10 months later...

A bit unnerving to learn that they are found even in cities like Pattaya!

How to keep these centipedes away? Certain other threads offer some solutions, e.g. boric acid, that seem adequate if one is not in a hurry, but what if one needed an instant solution?

I had heard of ultrasonic repellents / repellers for mosquitoes, and used Google to find out whether there may be a similar solution for centipedes. Here's a couple of results:

http://www.electronicpestcontrol.net/

http://www.stoppinbugs.com/

The Websites do not look very promising, and I have no idea whether their products actually work on giant centipedes.

Has anyone tested an ultrasonic device on centipedes?

Edited by soundman
Changed the font to normal. Pls. use normal font in future.

Oh yes, one of those ultrasonic spades in the 40-50000Hz range, right? I should have thought of that myself!

Seriously though, prevention is better than cure: the need for a weapon such as a spade means that the situation has already escalated: the centipedes are already in your house/tent, or even clinging to your body, poised to bite!

An ultrasonic device would be wonderful as it would ensure the beasts do not even come into sight, and peace of mind would reign!