Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the recent media reports about farangs acting badly and complaining about getting a little more than a slap on the wrist puzzle me..

We all know the laws, majeste ,drugs ect BEFORE we enter the country. Countless others have been an example. How many have had trouble with immigration at other countries and resorted to loosing it and telling an official to F... off??

If you wouldnt dream of doing it in Britian or U.S then why try it here? I dont blame an officilial for being pissed off about not being shown the same decency and courtesy as any other official in any other country should and would be shown...

OHH.. " this IS thailand" ..seems to be all you moaners can come up with.

In all my dealings in Thailand, with immigration and with the various small inconveniences one encounters, i have managed to remain reasonably patient, respectfull and even thankful to be allowed as a guest in the kingdom..AND I'VE NEVER BEEN ARRESTED ONCE!!!

funny that

Hmm, any chance the US government trained the Thai immigration inspector?

BELLINGHAM, B.C. - A British Columbian man who wanted a U.S. border inspector to say please got a face full of pepper spray instead. Desiderio Fortunato, of Coquitlam, B.C., says he thought the guard who told him to turn off his engine Monday was rude and asked him to say please. The 54-year-old says he was stunned and blinded as he was sprayed, pulled out of the car and handcuffed. He was detained about 3 hours. U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Mike Milne says it was a lawful order that travellers must obey but the use of force is under review. Fortunato crosses the border two or three times a week to visit his second home in Blaine, Wash., and says inspectors are mostly courteous

Source: The Canadian Press

It is a coincidence that this event just hit the newswire. Both demonstrate that weird events happen in western nations, not just Thailand and that as bad as the Thais may seem, there is always a westerner that can do something that makes them still appear to be no worse than other nations. Interesting reactions though. I doubt the Thai immigration fellow would have been as upset with a request for a bproht as he was with the potty mouthed Briton.

Yes, all Brits hate immigrants, and especially people who aren't white, that's why we are glad this guy is locked up, hopefully for longer than 2 years because he is black.

I really don't know what we were thinking when we allowed all immigrants equal opportunities, because that is just too generous of us, and so out of character for Brits. We should just have them locked in cages, only to be released for our entertainment. Because of this decision we are all bitter how the black and brown men are taking over the country and our jobs. OH NOES!

People get a grip, and while you are at it get a clue.

Britain is an immigrant society, the population of the UK would be falling if not for immigrants, approx 200.000 people migrate out of the UK every year, and that's nothing new.

Between 1850 and 1880, 6 million people migrated from the UK out of a population that did not exceed 26 million.

A very large percentage of UK citizens are descendants of immigrants, London is the most cosmopolitan city in the world.

We all know the laws, majeste ,drugs ect BEFORE we enter the country. Countless others have been an example. How many have had trouble with immigration at other countries and resorted to loosing it and telling an official to F... off??

If you wouldnt dream of doing it in Britian or U.S then why try it here? I dont blame an officilial for being pissed off about not being shown the same decency and courtesy as any other official in any other country should and would be shown...

OHH.. " this IS thailand" ..seems to be all you moaners can come up with.

In all my dealings in Thailand, with immigration and with the various small inconveniences one encounters, i have managed to remain reasonably patient, respectfull and even thankful to be allowed as a guest in the kingdom..AND I'VE NEVER BEEN ARRESTED ONCE!!!

I just don't get it. Here is another one. You/we/whatever are not 'guests'. Some people on this forum appear so obsequious it is vomit inducing. If you had no money or nothing to contribute to the economy you would be out on your arse whether you believe you are a guest or not.

funny that

I think he deserves to be locked up,

Then at some point for something you have done you also deserve to be locked up, because this seems to be way out of proportion comparable to jail time.

So what if he was rude, or snatchy, or even if he insulted Thailand, he was leaving and he was right by the looks of it.

He's done more than enough jail time already to cover that.

I have a question for you Brits: Is there no dress code in the UK for passport photos? I find it absolutely incredible that they would accept a shirtless photo for a passport application.

Edited by tropo

Yes, all Brits hate immigrants, and especially people who aren't white, that's why we are glad this guy is locked up, hopefully for longer than 2 years because he is black.

don't get so full of yourself (your self-aggrandized being oppressed) because you're a black Brit. You've probably had a whole lot of advantages handed your way - as mentioned in your further rant below.....

I really don't know what we were thinking when we allowed all immigrants equal opportunities, because that is just too generous of us, and so out of character for Brits. .......

Whether you know what you (do you lump yourself together with the ruling class?) were thinking or not, the fact remains that Brit authorities have enacted liberal guidelines making Britain one of the most open societies in the world - along with the US. For better of for worse (indeed it's a great big mixed bag) - Britain moves forward. I'm an American, yet resided on your island for a few years. Not a bad place. In many ways a shining beacon for other countries. Couldn't get used to marmite sandwiches with tea, though.

I think this childish man deserves to be locked up for a very long time to make an example of him.

I THINK YOU SHOULD GO AND KEEP HIM COMPANY, SHOW EVERYONE WHAT A GOOD CAREING PERSON YOU ARE. DONT WISH ON ANYONE WHAT YOU WOULD NOT LIKE YOURSELF. ALL WISHES COME BACK TO YOU. OR DO YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE TEACHING YOU ALL PROTECT?

I think he deserves to be locked up,

Then at some point for something you have done you also deserve to be locked up, because this seems to be way out of proportion comparable to jail time.

So what if he was rude, or snatchy, or even if he insulted Thailand, he was leaving and he was right by the looks of it.

He's done more than enough jail time already to cover that.

I have a question for you Brits: Is there no dress code in the UK for passport photos? I find it absolutely incredible that they would accept a shirtless photo for a passport application.

General photo requirements

* Eyes must be open and clearly visible, with no flash reflections and no “red eye”

* Facial expression must be neutral (not frowning nor smiling) with the mouth closed

* Photos must show both edges of the face clearly

* Photos must show a full front view of face and shoulders, squared to the camera

* Photos must not show the subject looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or with head tilted to one side or backwards or forwards

* The face and shoulder image must be centered in the photo

* There must be no hair across the eyes

* Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tone

* Photos must be clear, sharp and in focus

* Photos with shadows on the face or background are unacceptable

* Photos must be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflection on the face and head

* Photos must show a plain, uniform, light grey or cream background. 5 – 10% grey is recommended as a background.

* Hats or head coverings are not permitted except when worn for religious reasons and only if the full facial features are clearly visible

* Black and white photos are not acceptable

* Where very young children are being supported, the hands if visible must not be above the shoulder

* Photos must not be manipulated, for example, by removing spots or softening lines, shadows, etc

General photo requirements

* Eyes must be open and clearly visible, with no flash reflections and no “red eye”

* Facial expression must be neutral (not frowning nor smiling) with the mouth closed

* Photos must show both edges of the face clearly

* Photos must show a full front view of face and shoulders, squared to the camera

* Photos must not show the subject looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or with head tilted to one side or backwards or forwards

* The face and shoulder image must be centered in the photo

* There must be no hair across the eyes

* Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tone

* Photos must be clear, sharp and in focus

* Photos with shadows on the face or background are unacceptable

* Photos must be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflection on the face and head

* Photos must show a plain, uniform, light grey or cream background. 5 – 10% grey is recommended as a background.

* Hats or head coverings are not permitted except when worn for religious reasons and only if the full facial features are clearly visible

* Black and white photos are not acceptable

* Where very young children are being supported, the hands if visible must not be above the shoulder

* Photos must not be manipulated, for example, by removing spots or softening lines, shadows, etc

Thank you for posting and so to answer tropo's question, apparently the man could comply with all 16 requirements and still not wear a shirt.

Ah, you found the correct thread this time, no confusion with passport photos this time.

Wonder if you can realise that 99.99% don't get arrested when they enter/leave a country (see the Swiss TV reporter case)

I was lucky enough to get arrested twice by the cops:

Once for allegedly hitting a 2VC whilst parking my Rolls Royce, which I contested and got arrested for insults to the cops.

Therefor you are right: respect the cops, they are always RIGHT, you are always WRONG.

Second time for having forgotten my wallet at my parents place, I was without money and did not have the Rolls in those days (I was only 22 then) I dared enter a police station to ask for assistance (that was on Christmas day 1968) I got arrested for not carrying an ID (in Belgium, same rule as in Thailand: you must carry an ID at all times, one could say I turned myself in for breaking the law, 5555)

See, it can happen to you anywhere :o

And don't get me started on the nice cop sitting at the window desk in Nong Khai immigration...

Edited by tartempion

I certainly have had some rude customs officials interrogate me already.

At the time I probably would've loved to see them get some time for being that way.

But the penalty is way too harsh isn't it?

I imagine there was rudeness going on on both sides.

British customs people need to get that official's name and passport number in case they ever shows up in their country.

Just because an official keeps cool and looks professional doesn't mean is being respectful. I once had a problem with my passport (forgot reentry stamp), all smiles and courteously they told me to take a plane out the country do the visa again, no problem! everything is fine! easy!. They didn't tell me that the put a big DEPORTED on the immigration system, and I had a hel_l of a time until that got cleared up. Just because they may look acting professionally an respectful doesn't mean that they may be stabbing you in the back.

Respect is a two way street, you may do better to give it when you don't get any in return, but that, at least, gives bitching rights.

Finally, two years in a hole for being rude is the height of pettines.

Lessons from One Phuket Tourist's Nightmare

Getting that stamp at Phuket Immigration becomes all-important

By Alan Morison and Chutima Sidasathian

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Phuketwan News Analysis

ONE diplomatic source describes the Simon Burrowes case as ''an extremely unfortunate situation.'' There's no doubt that the tourist at the centre of the extraordinary passport affair would agree.

''I only came to Phuket for a holiday,'' he has told others. ''This is a nightmare.''

According to Immigration officials, there has not been a case like it before on Phuket. Tourists seldom finish up in jail, especially while trying to catch a flight off the island.

Several important related issues have emerged, including the quality of passport photos, standards of behavior in Thailand and elsewhere, and conditions in Phuket Jail.

Here's our take on the case:

Justice: Because of public interest in the affair, debate about various aspects is healthy. The facts need to be clearly established, and explained in court.

Passport quality: It appears most of Mr Burrowes' initial troubles were generated because of his passport photograph. Everyone with an old passport should look carefully at the image in it to assess whether it could potentially cause problems at an Immigration counter. Most countries have upgraded their requirements, insisting now that subjects look directly at the camera. But old passports have not been recalled, and some countries issue 10-year passports. In Thailand and elsewhere, a shirtless photograph is not considered riap roi (proper) and can cause offence. It appears there is no stipulation that shoulders must be covered in British passport photographs. That's a failure to take account of international convention. Any country that allows its citizens to continue to use passports issued before the world became massively concerned about terrorism clearly is not treating the issue seriously enough.

Thai reaction: The Burrowes passport was carried to the British Embassy in person by a senior official from Phuket, which shows how seriously the matter is being taken by Thai authorities. The British Embassy authenticated the passport. The fact that it is genuine, however, does not end Mr Burrowes' problems. But it should lead to an overhaul of passport photograph standards, in Britain and internationally. A passport is an individual's most important international document. It appears that in this case, Mr Burrowes' initial problems were not his fault.

Immigration 'Nightmare': Mr Burrowes has rightly characterised his experience as ''a nightmare.'' Heading for a flight home, he is forced to wait while the authenticity of his passport is questioned. Knowing that his passport is valid, and knowing that the time of his flight is drawing nearer, must have made the wait seem interminable. He has the sympathy of other travellers who can see how unnerving the situation must have become. While civilised societies urge people not to judge others on their appearance alone, professional Immigration officials everywhere begin their assessment on what they see standing before them and the image in the passport. However, a lawyer might be tempted to ask why officials apparently did not question Mr Burrowes about the validity of his passport on the way in, only on the way out.

The Incident: Immigration officials say they recorded what happened next on tape. They say Mr Burrowes swore at the official, snatched back his passport and criticised Thailand. Swearing is a no-no in Thailand in any situation. Assuming that the tape supports the official version of events, the fact that the Immigration officer was female probably made it seem even more reprehensible. While standards of general conversation in Western countries have deteriorated to the point where swearing is tolerated in some circles, anyone in uniform anywhere is likely to react in a negative way if the swear words are directed at them. Every traveller away from home needs to know enough about the culture of the country they are visiting to avoid problems caused by the use of bad language.

The Penalty: Mr Burrowes has been held in an overcrowded jail for three weeks, and forced to surrender his contentious passport while awaiting a court hearing. We hope that the time he has spent in jail and the additional expense involved in his enforced stay are taken into account. In many countries, prison accommodation before a court hearing is relatively comfortable. Remand centres, or similar facilities, reinforce the principle that a person is innocent until proven guilty. With a guilty verdict, the person is usually moved to a proper jail. In many cases, people who commit non-violent crimes are imprisoned in facilities that keep them separated from killers, rapists and other social misfits. Even if Mr Burrowes is found guilty, he has surely served his penalty.

The Jail: Phuket Jail, built to hold 700, is now bursting at the seams with more than 1000 incarcerated there. While Thai officials are right when they say that all passports need to meet international standards, the same point could be made about jails.

Conclusion: If there ever was a prime example to illustrate the value of a Tourist Court, where these kinds of issues could be dealt with without undue delay, without extra cost and without unnecessary hardship, this is it. Hopefully, publicity about the Burrowes case will promote a broader understanding of Thai law and customs and the need for respectful language and behavior at all times, in all circumstances. Hopefully, justice according to Thai law will be administered in this case with an understanding of the hardship that Mr Burrowes has already experienced. And hopefully, a more equitable method of dealing with tourists who transgress will emerge from one man's nightmare.

I presume(correctly?)that most posters on this topic are English!? What a bunch of bigots! :o

From scanty information,some from the Thai Press,most from the Thai Royal Police,two VERY biased fonts,they judge a man that was sent to jail,and a jail that's sure like hel_l,for 3 weeks,and now awaiting process,for what?For swearing at an Immigration Officer incompetence?

For swearing at the Thai burocracy after he lost his flight home?Nobody is refunding him,that's for sure.

It were bad already if Thais supported this view,but Europeans?(Australians,Americans,whatsoever..)

Don't you have some dignity,are you really ready to bend over and say:thank you Sir?Pitiful :D

They don't get the irony that it is they that are directly responsible for the place the UK has become.

Instead they moan and blame the immigrants, the vast majority of whom are far more hardworking and contribute more than the scrounging underclasses that escape to an easy life of exploitation in Thailand.

O/Kommando, I can't argue with your views on a lot of Brits but what I would like to know is, how do these scrounging underclasses get the money to live here once they have left England where presumably the social services cater for their living expenses, as for the exploitation in Thailand I'm not too sure who is exploiting who.

Good report from Duangta above.

My question would be, just exactly how much of a torso is available to be seen in a passport photo. The absolute maximum would be bare shoulders, which can't be that uncommon, because I am sure many western women have passport photos taken with stringy tops.

I can only conclude that this is an old passport approaching its ten year lifespan and somehow our victim managed to provide (and get accepted) at his local passport office, circa 1999 a passport photo with him bare chested, showing bare shoulders and perhaps as he wished for; a bit of bare upper arm muscle?

What I still don't understand is why he had to spend 3 weeks in jail, without getting out on bail.

The embassy failed to do something useful here, but also any lawyer would have been able to get him out within a few days.

I think this childish man deserves to be locked up for a very long time to make an example of him.

Yeah totally agree with this post! He should be stripped of his government rank and pension and forget about transferring him to an inactive position he should be made to serve time in the same cell as the British man he victimised. It's outrageous that a grown man should behave in such a childish way - and him a government official too!

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London

Burrowes said: "I'm a black man

The same black Simon Burrowes from London? :o

International Karate and Kickboxing Academy, London

Simon Burrowes - Instructor

Simon has over 15 years Martial Arts and Amateur Boxing Experience in the UK.

He is a Black Belt 2nd Dan ECKA Karate and kickboxing Instructor.

National Sami contact champion , Bronze Medallist in 2007 WPKA world kickboxing championship in Greece.

Then the stroppy immigration official should definitely be put into the same cell as Simon. That should teach him a little humillity for when he dons his tight brown uniform and deals with people. Wouldn't that be justice? :D

This is so OTT.

Swearing is one thing, being rude can cut both ways. Just because they work for immergration does it give them the right to be rude to the travellers?

I had a problem in Phuket, the guy said I was rude for asking what the problem was. He said that I had to stand there until he said I could move. Sorry but really there is no need for the officals to go on stupid little power trips as much as for the tourist to watch his language.

But putting him in Jail for being rude!! Someone needs to grow up and the judge should throw this case out of court and do something to the immergration officer who is wasting time and money with this.

Pointless and rather embarassing for Thailand I think.

agreed! You nailed it there! And they wonder why they are loosing revenue and Thais are being unemployed? Come on... think children. Think

It's funny because he thought he could be rude and aggressive and get away with it like he probably can in England. But when he tried it on here it bit him in the back didn't it.

Yes, 2 years is too long but the 3 weeks he has already spent in jail is time well spent in my opinion.

Nobody with an ounce of common sense would talk to immigration officials in a foreign country like that.

show of power because the guy come from a wealthier country and is probably more wealthy.

bull

I would say it's because he showed a lot of disrespect to people (if reports are true).

Sure, he may have had a bad Thai day - it does happen as we all know and getting to the airport and checking out of your hotel often leaves one vulnerable to Thais you try to stick it to you. Perhaps he wasn't in the best of moods and when an a jumped up government official decides to give you the run around and you miss your plane it may take a saint to show restraint never mind a man of dubious temperament (well he does like to give people a good kicking).

Funny it most definitely ain't - another nail in the coffin of Thailand's tourist industry - perhaps. Time will tell

I think most, even he, would agree that he over-reacted a little too much. I think if I was the official behind the counter I'd not take too kindly to it either. However, a firm, but polite dressing down from the officer would be all that was necessary. After all, he was LEAVING the country. Some one should have told this guy that here in the land of "smile" , (no not my spelling mistake) these poor little thin skinned, inmature, vindictive people will always make sure foreigners know their place in "their" country.

I'm sure that Harry Nicolaides would agree with you there as would anyone who has to get visas/90 day reporting etc :o

If someone had the power to put me in prison for swearing at them, i would be very polite indeed.

Whats prison food like in Phuket?

From what I've heard it can't be classed as food. I too would try to be very polite to anyone with such power though there are times... :o

Why do you believe the charges?

To put it another way, what is the definition of rude, legally, under Thai law?

Suppose he merely protested his detention politely. It may have been culturally stupid for him to do anything (assuming he actually did anything) but I am distressed that people here are not taking his side. IT COULD BE YOU!

I'm with you all the way mate. Count me in

Maybe this explains better what might have happened?

I guess the black man was wearing a black T-shirt for his passport photo?????

Arguing with Phuket Immigration: Is It Safe?

By Shanya Phattrasaya and Alan Morison

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Phuketwan Updating Report

THE ARREST and jailing of Briton Simon Burrowes has created great concern among tourists and expats about Thai laws governing disputes with Immigration officials.

Director General of Immigration at the Phuket International Airport, Suksopon Maneeson, declined today to allow Phuketwan to view the contentious photograph in Mr Burrowes' passport.

He added that the voice tape of Mr Burrowes' conversation at the Immigration counter on January 31 was also likely to be produced as evidence in court.

For that reason, he could not provide a transcript.

Mr Burrowes has since spend more than three weeks in a crowded Phuket Jail before being bailed, and on April 26 faces the possibility of a lengthy jail term.

His problems began as he fronted Immigration on his way out of Phuket after a holiday.

The circumstances and his punishment so far have caused alarm among other Britons and tourists from other countries.

Khun Suksoporn said today that, as could be expected, there are quite often debates between departing or arriving passengers and Immigration officials.

However, he said, to his knowledge, the Burrowes case was the first on Phuket that actually led to the arrest and imprisonment of a tourist.

A senior police officer told Phuketwan that Thai law protected officials on duty.

If they faced abuse or threatening behavior, the person involved could be arrested and face a charge, with a one-year jail term as the maximum penalty.

The dispute involving Mr Burrowes began when the Immigration official looked at his passport. Her attention focussed on his passport photograph.

According to Khun Suksoporn, the portrait shot of Mr Burrowes was shirtless. He was not looking directly at the camera, but at an angle, out to one side.

Reports say that about this time, Mr Burrowes' friend and travelling companion negotiated outbound Immigration and headed for the flight back to Britain that they were both due to catch.

Probably with one eye on the time of the flight, Mr Burrowes watched as his passport was handed back to another official for closer examination.

According to Mr Burrowes, as quoted in The Voice online, the official examined the passport carefully for about 30 minutes.

As his flight time drew closer, Mr Burrowes apparently became agitated to the point where he allegedly snatched the passport back, swore at the official, and criticised Thailand in a way that caused the official to take offence.

A spokesperson at the British Embassy said today that the passport had been verified as genuine.

''Thai authorities now accept that it is a legitimate passport, so our understanding is that the charge relating to the passport has been dropped,'' she told Phuketwan.

She said that passport shots were now required to have the subject look directly at the camera, but did not elaborate on whether this was the case in Mr Burrowes' passport, nor confirm whether he was shirtless in the photograph.

Thai culture disapproves of people appearing shirtless in public, although it is acceptable on beaches.

For official documents in Thailand (passport, ID Card, drivers license, etc), Thais must wear shirts that cover their shoulders.

Khun Suksoporn yesterday questioned the standards of any passport that did not follow international convention, and suggested that the British standard in this case was lower than that of Cambodia or Laos.

The key question in the Burrowes case remains whether a tourist who has been apprehended on what many view as a minor charge should have to spend three weeks in Phuket Jail, built for 700 inmates but overcrowded with more than 1000.

While jailers expressed concern about the safety of Phuketwan reporters who wanted to tour the prison, the same concern does not appear to be held by Thai authorities about the safety of Mr Burrowes.

He has already served a three week jail penalty and his case will not be heard until April 26.

The spokesperson for the British Embassy said today that the conditions in Thai jails ''is something we raise with the Thai authorities in an ongoing process. It is something other embassies are probably raising, too.''

Phuketwan has applied for permission from the Justice Ministry to tour Phuket Jail.

So, the imig officials

studied the passport (which was ok for the officials letting him into the country and into Phuket) for more than 30 mins making a passenger miss his plane.

won't let anyone check the photo that was issued by a respected international authority

have recorded evidence but you cant chack that either

wont let you check the state of the prison cause its very dangerous

insulted britain, cambodia and laos

plan to keep the guy in prison for another 7 weeks before hearing a non existing case

& this is the countrys premier holiday location during an economic crisis when tourists numbers are down.

Hahahahahahhahahahhahah - this is a wind up right!

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Yes I have to agree with you... I think most people understand that the Thai culture revolves around respect. A simple smile smile and a bow will get you a long way in thailand. Some of these arrogant tourists should learn a little about other cultures before travelling...

However, a lawyer might be tempted to ask why officials apparently did not question Mr Burrowes about the validity of his passport on the way in, only on the way out.

While Thai officials are right when they say that all passports need to meet international standards, the same point could be made about jails.

Indeed. Exactly. Is it possible for Thailand to be sued for compensation? There is no justification for what this man has gone through. NONE.

Thailand says it wants to save tourism. What does this case tell the world about the REAL Thailand?

Edited by Jingthing