Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Dubai isn't a country. It sounds like you consider it normal and acceptable to argue with immigration officials. I'm glad you won't be coming to Dubai.

Nobody is going to Dubai and thousands of foreigners are leaving due to the economic crisis.

Of course Dubai is just as bad as Thailand when it comes to locking people up with impunity for petty, minor offences.

Dubai is finished and will be swallowed up soon by the desert. The Palms are sinking and thousands of cars are being left abandoned at the airport by foreigners forced to leave because they face jail for not paying their debts.

Dubai is $8Billion in the red and rapidly climbing. Real trouble ahead as they have no natural resources. Abu Dhabi, on the other hand, where all the oil money is, is just waiting to take over.

I'm glad I won't be going to Dubai. :o

Edited by Oberkommando

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Whenever a fellow foreigner has a problem, you guys just start ranting. If you've got nothing to say, why don't you guys just shut up. You've got to be black to know what we're going through. When the Thai teacher sexually exploited a minor, you guys were all wishing you were the one, and now someone is probably being framed, and here you are swearing and distancing yourselves from him.

Really, I suggest you look at all the posts before you come to a blanket conclusion, a lot of us have been arguing the case for Simon since this post first started and yes there are a lot of RED NECKS on here posting "hang him high" but not everyone and not everyone is a bloody racist like your implying, this is why a lot of people have a down on non whites, it seems that everything that happens to a black is down to people being a racist, utter bulls--t, I for one am tired of hearing it.

Nobody is going to Dubai and thousands of foreigners are leaving due to the economic crisis.

Of course Dubai is just as bad as Thailand when it comes to locking people up with impunity for petty, minor offences.

Dubai is finished and will be swallowed up soon by the desert. The Palms are sinking and thousands of cars are being left abandoned at the airport by foreigners forced to leave because they face jail for not paying their debts.

Dubai is $8Billion in the red and rapidly climbing. Real trouble ahead as they have no natural resources. Abu Dhabi, on the other hand, where all the oil money is, is just waiting to take over.

I'm glad I won't be going to Dubai. :o

We are going back to Dubai for a holiday this Summer & I'm delighted the likes of yourself wont be there - not that they ever were.

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Dubai isn't a country. It sounds like you consider it normal and acceptable to argue with immigration officials. I'm glad you won't be coming to Dubai.

I'm glad I won't be going to Dubai. :D

Let me tell you Abu Dhabi isnt WAITING for anything at the moment, the waiting is over....everything is for sale :D .

Anyway, your statement highlighted above is WRONG! Some of us go to Dubai often, even now & Dubai has been here for hundreds of years, its not dead, its on life support, okay? :o

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Whenever a fellow foreigner has a problem, you guys just start ranting. If you've got nothing to say, why don't you guys just shut up. You've got to be black to know what we're going through. When the Thai teacher sexually exploited a minor, you guys were all wishing you were the one, and now someone is probably being framed, and here you are swearing and distancing yourselves from him.

Really, I suggest you look at all the posts before you come to a blanket conclusion, a lot of us have been arguing the case for Simon since this post first started and yes there are a lot of RED NECKS on here posting "hang him high" but not everyone and not everyone is a bloody racist like your implying, this is why a lot of people have a down on non whites, it seems that everything that happens to a black is down to people being a racist, utter bulls--t, I for one am tired of hearing it.

This isnt about just being part of the hang him high club, the man is older enough to know better, people should wake up to themselves and stop slagging off at people in Authority, or perhaps other people full stop (excluding blogs of course).

There will be more to this story for sure & no doubt this evil looking little man was displaying heaps of attitude and it got him into real hot water this time. I say, let him do 2 years, then kick him to the kerb, hopefully next time a sherrif or someone speaks to him he will have learnt to be polite. :o

[quote name='phil2' post='2582344' date='2009-03-08 15:43:50'

This thread was bound to stir up talk & accusations of racism. It should also be noted that the media source reporting this story, 'the Voice', possibly has it's own agenda. If Mr Burrowes is as innocent as some of you would believe, why didn't one the British tabloids 'jump' on this story? Surely, they'd have been falling overthemselves for the privilege.

I don't care whether the accused is white, black, yellow, queer, straight or whatever - the fact is that he behaved/spoke in front of officials in a manner which is (wrongly) acceptable in the UK. Unfortunately for him, he's discovered that you can't always get away with it elsewhere. It's both worrying & disappointing that a martial arts instructor lost his self discipline in this situation; it certainly goes against what my instructor taught me when I was learning. Whilst doing an internet search for 'Simon Burrowes' it also throws up refences to a conscientious objector' - this would be more in line with the behaviour that was displayed at HKT.

In a certain way I'd actually agree that Mr Burrowes is a victim - the victim of living in a society that has been destroyed by liberals, do-gooders & the politically correct, where children learn nothing about respect, misdemeanours go unpunished, strong values, morals & principals are of little importance....................where do you stop? :o

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

This thread was bound to stir up talk & accusations of racism. It should also be noted that the media source reporting this story, 'the Voice', possibly has it's own agenda. If Mr Burrowes is as innocent as some of you would believe, why didn't one the British tabloids 'jump' on this story? Surely they'd have been falling overthemselves for the privilege.

I don't care whether the accused is white, black, yellow, queer, straight or whatever - the fact is that he behaved/spoke in front of officials in a manner which is (wrongly) acceptable in the UK. Unfortunately for him, he's discovered that you can't always get away with it elsewhere. It's both worrying & disappointing that a martial arts instructor lost his self discipline in this situation; it certainly goes against what my instructor taught me when I was learning. Whilst doing an internet search for 'Simon Burrowes' it also throws up refences to a conscientious objector' - this would be more in line with the behaviour that was displayed at HKT.

In a certain way I'd actually agree that Mr Burrowes is a victim - the victim of living in a society that has been destroyed by liberals, do-gooders & the politically correct, where children learn nothing about respect, misdemeanours go unpunished, strong values, morals & principals are of little importance....................where do you stop? :o

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth ( & it didnt happen whilst you were kissing me).

Your post is spot on, this dirty little man only has himself and his overinflated ego to blame.

One should always remember to engage ones brain before ones mouth in these situations.

If I was a person in Authority and he spoke to me that way, I would sit him on his backside and then he would be taken to the slammer.....I hope he likes fish head soup :D

I have said it once and I'll say it again...

I cannot believe that anyone can say this guy deserves to spend more time in jail. After the incident, they just should have apologized for causing him to miss his plane, kicked him out and blacklisted him.

The way Thailand is marketed, the smiling locals, the mai pen rai attitude, the beautiful people, beaches and generally a place to feel good and have fun without thinking does not give a true picture of life on the ground. The only danger tourists hear about is some vague comments about not raising your voice in public as it causes a loss of face or something about covering up when walking around. No where (because of marketing) does it mention the potentially fatal consequences of causing someone to lose face. When something goes wrong, the tourist is completely surprised, in a ditch or worse.

I think they should show a video on all the incoming flights showing behavior expected of all visitors and reminding folks that government officials (police, immigration) have very wide discretionary powers and can have you throw in jail/deported at the drop of a hat. Additionally, they should show examples of actual instances where people were thrown in jail, shot, stabbed, beaten up etc for causing someone to lose face. Bet that would go over with the TAT. :o And finally, they should show some jail videos with voice overs by people who have spent time on the inside. Now that would keep folks on their toes.

The airport immigration staff should be enrolled in cultural sensitivity courses to remind them that visitors do not understand the societal rules of Thailand and should be given some leeway with their indiscretions. Yeah, yeah, yeah the guy was pressed for time, snatch his passport and used the F word. But that does not equate to the punishment he has received so far.

Of course the incoming flight video and the immigration training will never happen... but I can dream... can't I? :D

TheWalkingMan

The thing is that this guy was on his way home so had spent all his money! So why be nice to him!

It never occurs to the customs officer's that he'll be back with his friend's and spend even more money, thus helping their economy.

Edited by peecee

I have said it once and I'll say it again...

I cannot believe that anyone can say this guy deserves to spend more time in jail. After the incident, they just should have apologized for causing him to miss his plane, kicked him out and blacklisted him.

The way Thailand is marketed, the smiling locals, the mai pen rai attitude, the beautiful people, beaches and generally a place to feel good and have fun without thinking does not give a true picture of life on the ground. The only danger tourists hear about is some vague comments about not raising your voice in public as it causes a loss of face or something about covering up when walking around. No where (because of marketing) does it mention the potentially fatal consequences of causing someone to lose face. When something goes wrong, the tourist is completely surprised, in a ditch or worse.

I think they should show a video on all the incoming flights showing behavior expected of all visitors and reminding folks that government officials (police, immigration) have very wide discretionary powers and can have you throw in jail/deported at the drop of a hat. Additionally, they should show examples of actual instances where people were thrown in jail, shot, stabbed, beaten up etc for causing someone to lose face. Bet that would go over with the TAT. :o And finally, they should show some jail videos with voice overs by people who have spent time on the inside. Now that would keep folks on their toes.

The airport immigration staff should be enrolled in cultural sensitivity courses to remind them that visitors do not understand the societal rules of Thailand and should be given some leeway with their indiscretions. Yeah, yeah, yeah the guy was pressed for time, snatch his passport and used the F word. But that does not equate to the punishment he has received so far.

Of course the incoming flight video and the immigration training will never happen... but I can dream... can't I? :D

TheWalkingMan

Proper polite bahavior should be taught in the home by parents, reinforced by their educational system and place of worship (if applicable) To be shown a film on how to act polite and respectful to another human being on a plane going to another country is a bit late in the game. His martial arts education alone should have been sufficent to have toned down his response to bad behavior directed toward him. His race may or may not have caused the bad behavior of the immigration official, maybe his attitute did rather than anything else. I've been cavity searched at the airport leaving Colombia and at the arriving US airport. Solely because of the profile being used at that time. I was a bit irked, but smiled and accepted that they were doing their job. Even though it almost caused me a bit of inconvience narrowly making a connecting flight, I understood thats the way gov'ts operate, and I can't change it, and by acting a bore it can have consequences

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

Hi, Is the poster who said he 'deserves it' actually from this planet ? The passport is his and the British Governments property, and is swearing really a two year custodial sentence ? If it was a slang word, the official must have very good English language skills, which I have found nearly unheard of here.

Hi, Is the poster who said he 'deserves it' actually from this planet ? The passport is his and the British Governments property, and is swearing really a two year custodial sentence ? If it was a slang word, the official must have very good English language skills, which I have found nearly unheard of here.

What was actually said by Mr Burrowes, "I say, old chap, the passport is genuine. I suppose you want me to fork over some cash. I really have enjoyed my stay in Fuket [sic]. I saw some lovely butterflies and frogs on my walks. Ha Ha, there was even one in my barff Ugh! Anyway enough of this banter, no need for any more of this flak, time for me to be catching my flight."

What the immigration officer heard, "oeirtvsd bvvvnpv fuc_k s;oiggrg fuc_k fl;fj;f;fja;f ;jnbbmhbmb gdpougggum jgpggog jfponfgpjkljn gdngpgpgmn djigpgpgspgpshhjm dgggg puiggngrngsspspgspgum fthjpmhptyjtmh rtgrpghrgpgsgprs iumhmupohfuc_k jdfgsdg fuc_k fvmiu fuc_k "

This must just be a good example of the eduction level of our younger generation today.

You may have a good point there. A lot of youth culture revolves around "street cred" witch is mainly about the interactions between gang members. Once they are taken out of that "gang" environment they are a little like a fish out of water and that's within their own national cultural surroundings. Add into that a totally different set of cultural values and the individual could quickly lose the plot.

Surely you overlooked the smiley :o at the end of your post.

Otherwise, unless you wish to be more specific about what country and culture you are talking about, it is absolute nonsense :D

Okay I apologise for using all those long words that are beyond your stone age comprehension. In future I will try and only use monosyllabilic words for folks like yourself. I guess you need the smilies the same as you need the pictures in the comics so as to understand the story. :D:D:wai: :jerk: :P:D

Okay, happy now?

Maybe he said something very rude about the king and Thais?

Using the F.. word only is not enough to go to prison, even in Thailand. There's more to this story , I'm sure.

UKFOOL, :D (How appropriate)

You were there were you? You actually saw exactly what happen and how this horrible little man went about his business of insulting people, did you? OR are you just going off what our almightly print media is reporting? I thought so..... :o .

What planet are you from? I do believe your nic answers that question but I thought I would ask as anyway.

Ohh and you will find many thais that speak reasonable english if you get yourself off Patpong or Kohsan Roads for a few minutes. :D

Thailand is a developed country, they've developed more way's of extortion than anywere else in SE asia!

You've obviously not travelled very much in the region. There are other contries that make Thailand look positively amateur in the corruption stakes.

Anyway, anyone down there in Phuket taken the time to go visit this guy in jail and get his side of the story? Is he still in jail or has someone posted the bail money?

Also, to all those bleating about two years being too harsh I repeat an earlier post by saying he has not been sentenced yet and two years is the maximum, repeat maximum, he could get.

And as far as this generating bad publicity for Thailand and putting people off holidaying there, forget it! If this makes the press, and it may well do on some slow news day, most of the people reading it will either not give a flying <deleted>, think he deserved all he got or will not register any reaction at all. If the immigration office had pulled a .38 and blew Mr Burrowes brains out across the departure lounge floor it would have made front page news on day #1. By day #3 it would be consigned to page 5 and by day #7 wouldn't even outrank the cartoon strips for attention. Don't believe me? Just think back to the death of that Canadian guy in Pai a while back.

UKFOOL, :D (How appropriate)

You were there were you? You actually saw exactly what happen and how this horrible little man went about his business of insulting people, did you? OR are you just going off what our almightly print media is reporting? I thought so..... :o .

What planet are you from? I do believe your nic answers that question but I thought I would ask as anyway.

Ohh and you will find many thais that speak reasonable english if you get yourself off Patpong or Kohsan Roads for a few minutes. :D

For you to say that there are plenty of Thais that speak English is a joke, you must spend all your time in the tourist strips or at the universities, step 2 minutes out of a tourist area and you will be lucky to find someone who speaks more than ten words of English.

Each negative story about Thailand is CUMULATIVE. A case like this is yet another small nail in the coffin for the potential growth of Thai tourism. People's attitudes about Thailand abroad are definitely changing for the worse, but it is true just one case doesn't make it or break it.

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

Yes I have to agree with you... I think most people understand that the Thai culture revolves around respect. A simple smile smile and a bow will get you a long way in thailand. Some of these arrogant tourists should learn a little about other cultures before travelling...

Have to agree with you too. I saw a video clip of a middle aged mainland Chinese woman who missed her plane in Hong Kong, I believe. She was screaming and rolling around on the floor of the airport. She had physically abused one or more of the airport staff and called them every name under the sun. I guess she is a very lucky lady not to be residing in a stinking hole with tens of others - crammed together like pigs to the slaughter - but then Hong Kong is relatively civilised when compared to the authorities of Thailand in cases like this

"As a black man I'm used to getting stopped at airports".....playing the 'Race Card' again as usual.Poor guy,so misunderstood arent they. :o

If you are not black, how would you know?

There are some writers who put on black face and passed as black and they write the way they were treated is REALLY different. I believe them.

Edited by Jingthing

Something Mr Burrowes and a lot of posters here need to keep in mind is that telling the wrong person to <deleted> off in many countries of the world will get you a close view of the business end of a firearm. Thailand is most definately one of those countries. That is probably why immigration are so p1ssed off, it happened in a very public place preventing them from following Thai culture and etiquette and putting a bullet through his head.

A question to all you libertarians out there screaming racist at anybody thinking he deserves some grief ; Would you be so vocal in your defence of him if he were a white man with a shaved head and tattoos?

Keep "Jai Yen" at all times, especially when dealing with officials.

I can't agree with the majority of posters here who seem to have no sympathy for the man. Phuket is an International Tourist resort selling itself to tourists who come here from all over the world including Europe where many of the people save up the whole year or more to make a 1-2week trip.

Of course his behavior is inappropriate but so too is the policeman's. I don't know what would happen in the UK if someone did similar, but I've read some news articles of drunken football hooligans returning and they seem to be locked up in a cell for a night or so, and charged only if they slap or spit at a policeman, or kick a car, etc.

However, there's no reason why the tourist should understand the "mai ben rai" cultural trait and its not included as a must in tourist brochures given to the likes of this guy when he books a holiday.

The police should have someway to check the validity of passports, and so to should the Consulate in a speedy way, like one working day. If not, then there's something seriously wrong with the system which is critical given the age or terrorism.

There are several cultural differences, but the number of times that Thais have been very rude to me in Thai language assuming that I don't understand their language is uncountable. Just in True shop on Saturday I went in to pay my bill and I just asked one question regarding when I paid my previous bill, and was told to go to a different counter. Then for some reason she decided to walk up and check herself saying under her breath "farang Kwai" which means foreign buffalo....and I am a totally unaggressive type, just quietly asking a question in a very normal way.....

So for this Thai officer to get really shirty is just about his power, I suspect and because the man was a foreigner (possibly black). Being rude to people of different nationalities is something very much familiar too Thai people even if they do it in a quieter way than other nationalities. Thais should also try to understand our culture too, otherwise why be a tourist destination?? Passsports are also very sensitive documents, although if the man put in an unusual pic then he should be more prepared for waits and delays when traveling half way around the world.

I see this latest case as just another example of a break down in law and order with certain individuals believing that they can pretty much do whatever they want (since the PAD's airport closure).

If the man was BLACK then this is the "more to the story" or the "something missing" that previous posters commented.

Edited by Junglejumbo

The Brit deserved everything he got.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would not swear at an immigration offficial....it doesn't matter what country they hail from or what colour their skin is.

I hope he enjoys his stay in Phuket jail and that he learns his lesson.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved; if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Yes I have to agree with you... I think most people understand that the Thai culture revolves around respect. A simple smile smile and a bow will get you a long way in thailand. Some of these arrogant tourists should learn a little about other cultures before travelling...

Have to agree with you too. I saw a video clip of a middle aged mainland Chinese woman who missed her plane in Hong Kong, I believe. She was screaming and rolling around on the floor of the airport. She had physically abused one or more of the airport staff and called them every name under the sun.

I look forward to seeing your translation of her words from Chinese.

Thank you.