Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

must be one of the sadest stories I've ever heard :D:D:D:D , could someone please hand me a handkerchief, sob sob.

All the people defending him with all these accurate statements are doing so because they witnessed the entire incident :o

Don't have to have witnessed it - even if he called the immigration official a trumped up Colonel Blimp with a wanger the size of a Thai chilly pepper, he should not have been imprisoned! By opening their boarders and accepting international flights, Thailand has ineffect agreed to accept that a multitude of cultures will pass through their portals. As a consequence, ideals and actions that may be acceptable to other cultures like spitting, drinking vodka for breakfast, not believing in a monachy etc has to be tolerated to a degree. The Thai way is not the only way!

No my friend, you are wrong completely. When you visit a country you should follow their rules. If you can't stay home.

I was actually referring to all the people that claim a sequence in order to the way in which things occurred. He did this, they did that & then he swore. Once again, I would love to be a fly on the wall and see what really happened....BUT since I cant be, I will just call for this man execution, just because Jingthing is so wound up about it :wai:

we all know that if this had occured to a single white female, that jingthing wouldnt have fired up & been responsible for half the posts in this big long sad sob story.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So , after all is said and done , the dust has settled , who will be responsible to compensate this overly aggressively treated GUEST , refered to as such by the many Thai-ised who wanted him 'Hanged , drawn and quartered ' . He appears to have lost a great deal in what should and could have been , a minor incident , including his place of residence in his homeland , all of this due mostly to Thai FACE , better known as STUPID ARROGANCE OR EGO TRIPPING . :o

must be one of the sadest stories I've ever heard :D:D:D:D , could someone please hand me a handkerchief, sob sob.

All the people defending him with all these accurate statements are doing so because they witnessed the entire incident :o

Obviously you are not reading all the reports and statements by the various factions. I am. Go and research what happened instead of reading peoples made up stories and lies here.

CLAYTON... guttersnipes? The guy said one swear word and was JUSTIFIABLY angry at having been forced to miss his flight, lose money and be treated (wrongly) like a criminal. Don't you think? Or are you going to sit there and continue to try to give the idea that if they did this to you, your reaction would be one of joy and bliss? For crying out loud, the man said one swear word and got angry for dam_n good reasons.

A link here suggested he may have to wait as long as ONE YEAR before his actual trial. Let that sink in. One year. So what happens during that year. Does he get to wait for the date outside prison (I know he is out now)? Do they let him leave Thailand and return for the trial? I would think not because then he would never come back. Does he have to wait in prison? What happens to his entire life, his finances, his home and people in the UK, waiting ONE YEAR for a trial, even if he gets off the charges at the trial which seems problematical because he will definitely plead guilty (you are mostly forced to do this in Thailand). If they let him wait outside prison for the trial and they make him stay here, on what visa would he stay here, on what money (as this guy sounds like he does not have the dosh)?

What is happening to this Simon guy, what has even happened SO FAR is so over the top, so obviously a GROSS INJUSTICE that its like shooting a flea with an elephant gun. And so many of you think this is some kind of joke. I still go by the theory that many expats deep down FEAR the same kind of thing may happen to THEM, so it makes them feel better to demonize the victim of this, and blame him. This kind of thing never happens to good farangs! It could never happen to me!

Edited by Jingthing

The one main question that arises now is , who will , or how can he , support himself in Thailand for 1 year whilst he awaits trial ? Methinks perhaps he will need to rob a bank for a few billion , or steal a truck and pin a few inoccent bystanders to a wall or some lesser simple action such as these that are readily accepted in Thai life as being normal activities . He would have his passport re-instated , get a kiss on both cheeks and asked to report back on the day of his trial , sorry for any inconvenience sir . What utter and absolute balderdash Thai law is , and if you Thaiwise think this will not add another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism , think again , this victimisation has already recieved world reporting , and it is victimisation of the worst kind .

Any one here have a job offer or a place to lay a weary head ? Thought not !!!!! :o

I have to admit I am a broke ass farang and am not in a position to give money to Simon. So call me a hypocrite if you like, but I know Phuket attracts many very wealthy people. If this guy is stuck there, what is he supposed to do. If you can help him, maybe you have a huge villa with 10 spare rooms, you would be doing a good mitzvah. I also imagine there are people there who leave their condos vacant for months at a time. Hint hint, a house sitter is always nice. Almost all of us CHOOSE to live here, but someone forced to wait for a trial is not a free man.

Edited by Jingthing

CLAYTON... guttersnipes? The guy said one swear word and was JUSTIFIABLY angry at having been forced to miss his flight, lose money and be treated (wrongly) like a criminal. Don't you think? Or are you going to sit there and continue to try to give the idea that if they did this to you, your reaction would be one of joy and bliss? For crying out loud, the man said one swear word and got angry for dam_n good reasons.

Again, I will draw your attention to Chuck Norris' Code of Honor Rule No. 8: I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.

Again, I will draw your attention to Chuck Norris' Code of Honor Rule No. 8: I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.

And I will draw your attention to a few more of Chuck Norris' Code of Honor

4. I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.

5. If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.

7. I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness.

Strike 3, you're out! :o

TheWalkingMan

The one main question that arises now is , who will , or how can he , support himself in Thailand for 1 year whilst he awaits trial ?

This is an interesting question. Perhaps he'd be better off foregoing his bail & going back to prison? That's assuming that the time served would be knocked off the sentence passed once he's convicted.

I actually agree that Thai justice is too slow; justice should be swift & where guilt is proven; swift & merciless.

And I will draw your attention to a few more of Chuck Norris' Code of Honor

4. I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.

5. If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.

7. I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness.

Strike 3, you're out! :o

TheWalkingMan

I never said that I either agree, or adhere with all of his personal code, we just happen to share certain points of view. He's also deeply religious, whilst I'm an atheist. I might add that when he talks religion & politics - it's questionable whether he completely adheres to the whole code i.e. he's got strong views on homosexuality.

I have my own code of honor based on strong values & highly held principals, but this isn't about me, it's about someone who, especially given his chosen vocation, should have shown more self discipline. I referred to Chuck Norris' code rule no. 8 as I felt it was pertinent to the situation.

He is the victim here.

Whilst he may not have initiated events; he's still a victim of his own doing. If he'd shown the self discipline one would expect from a martial arts instructor - he'd be a free man now.

Assuming reincarnation really happens, what do you think you will come back as?

You are extremely judgemental and now you arent making a lick of sense. You have it in your head martial artists are supposed to bend over and take abuse? How on earth did you connect THOSE DOTS? If anything a martial artist will fight against injustice and stand up for whats right and take a stand against someone treating him badly, not stand their and grin and take it like a nutless wonder. You don't know anything about martial artists, you have some mythical idea from the movies that isnt based in reality. It's one thing to respect authority that is righteous, quite another to respect the authority of Hitler and Kim Il Sung..... you're statement is just garbage and nonsensical and you know it... unless you are simply the kind of guy that would blindly follow the aforementioned men? In that case your statement makes complete sense.

Assuming reincarnation really happens, what do you think you will come back as?

I wont assume any such thing; I'm an atheist.

How convenient.

I asked you to consider a hypothetical.

Your slimy response gives me a better idea of the answer though (hypothetically speaking, of course).

You are extremely judgemental and now you arent making a lick of sense. You have it in your head martial artists are supposed to bend over and take abuse? How on earth did you connect THOSE DOTS? If anything a martial artist will fight against injustice and stand up for whats right and take a stand against someone treating him badly, not stand their and grin and take it like a nutless wonder. You don't know anything about martial artists, you have some mythical idea from the movies that isnt based in reality. It's one thing to respect authority that is righteous, quite another to respect the authority of Hitler and Kim Il Sung..... you're statement is just garbage and nonsensical and you know it... unless you are simply the kind of guy that would blindly follow the aforementioned men? In that case your statement makes complete sense.

I'm sorry, but in this particular case I don't buy the 'injustice' you talk of. I travel around the world fairly regularly, wherever that may be, I understand that when I'm before my host nations immigration authorities - they are in charge - if they suspect irregularities with my travel documents, there is a correct & incorrect way to deal with the situation. Unfortunately, this chap took the wrong option, arguably because he's used to getting his own way & possibly because he hails from the UK where respect & patience aren't in the vocabulary of a large swathe of the population, who've simply got used to being able to do behave how they like with little, if any, consequence. It's also possible that he simply 'lost it', a trait which I never experienced from either of my two instructors, when I was practising myself, a number of years ago - of course I never saw them stopped and detained by Thai Immigration.

A comparison between respecting the regimes of Hitler & Kim Il Jung & the immigration authorities of a state such as Thailand, is no better than the injustices you talked of in an earlier post - it really is a non-starter.

On that note I'll say goodnight, or perhaps good morning would be better? Enjoy the debate gentlemen - I'll join you again in a few hours time.

Clayton See-More

I've read all your posts on this topic & you've convinced me.

You're a dill. :D

This guy would not be in the poo if the moron in Melbourne had done his job.

I know what it's like to be broke in a foreign country through no fault of my own,

but I had a network to help me.

This guy's got nothing, I can't even send him a small amount of money to help him out because with no passport, he cannot even open a savings account here.

What's the betting that Phuket Immi will lose his passport when they discover he was wearing a top in his PP photo!

Issued in Australia, 'faulty' passport sees man beaten and jailed in Bangkok.

Link

Enough said. :o

Mr Burrowes told the Daily Mail he lost his flat in Wembley because he could not pay the rent while awaiting trial.

OMG, he already lost his flat back home. We need even more international publicity about this outrageous miscarriage of justice.

I travel around the world fairly regularly, wherever that may be, I understand that when I'm before my host nations immigration authorities - they are in charge - if they suspect irregularities with my travel documents, there is a correct & incorrect way to deal with the situation.

C'mon guys, all you people denigrating this guy really need to wake up. Saying he deserves all he gets because he lost it and swore at immigration is just ridiculous. Yes, there's a right way and wrong way to handle Thai officials, but they made him miss his flight for crying out loud and, it turns out, for no reason whatsoever. So are you saying if this happened to you you would deal with the situation the 'correct' way, smile and say mai pen rai, even though your plane had departed and you had no way to get home? What if you had a new job to go back to, or, God forbid, your mother was laid up in hospital with third degree burns from a road traffic accident? Still mai pen rai?

Instead of the typical kneejerk hang em high retorts why don't people actually have a think about things... this is real life and someone is being unnecessarily shafted.

Okay, now I've read all the facts in relation to this case, I would like to re-post, if possible :D:o & as I've made a request for the CCTV footage of the incident, I'd like the opportunity to re-post again after viewing that. Theres nothing like making comments before all the evidence is gathered :D .

It looks as if this fellow has been treated very very poorly, he probably isnt the first & most certainly won't be the last either. Seems to have been a comedy of errors that has resulted in this outcome, if only he had not sworn in the presence of the Authorities, his nightmare would of already been over.

I was unaware these days if you missed your flight, that meant you were out on your backside. Last time I missed a flight, the airline re-sheduled me onto the next days flight, cost me nothing. :D

Anyway, after he can write a book...... :D , I'm sure a tell all novel would be interesting.

A link here suggested he may have to wait as long as ONE YEAR before his actual trial. Let that sink in. One year. So what happens during that year. Does he get to wait for the date outside prison (I know he is out now)? Do they let him leave Thailand and return for the trial? I would think not because then he would never come back. Does he have to wait in prison? What happens to his entire life, his finances, his home and people in the UK, waiting ONE YEAR for a trial, even if he gets off the charges at the trial which seems problematical because he will definitely plead guilty (you are mostly forced to do this in Thailand). If they let him wait outside prison for the trial and they make him stay here, on what visa would he stay here, on what money (as this guy sounds like he does not have the dosh)?

What is happening to this Simon guy, what has even happened SO FAR is so over the top, so obviously a GROSS INJUSTICE that its like shooting a flea with an elephant gun. And so many of you think this is some kind of joke. I still go by the theory that many expats deep down FEAR the same kind of thing may happen to THEM, so it makes them feel better to demonize the victim of this, and blame him. This kind of thing never happens to good farangs! It could never happen to me!

Such a bunch of drama queens here.

His trial starts on April 26th : http://phuketwan.com/tourism/briton-jailed-phuket-rude/

As already discussed his best (common sense) option is lay down and kiss some Somchai ass and plead to be allowed back into Thailand.

I have a better theory jingthing..."Most expats are inadequates who love to bluster on forums about things they have no control over. It is a release mechanism and frequently results in delusions of grandeur and grandiose generalisations "

:o

1. I don't believe the shirtless allegation.
  2. The officers should have been more mindful of the flight issue.
  3. Did the officers use words like "Please" and Thank you", because if they did not, they were rude?
  4. He swore! So what, if they acted rudely FIRST! The officers --if this is the case-- should be fired!
  5. I would have started to record the whole interaction, which would have given me more leverage!
  6. Why are Thai people (and many people) so "upset" when someone criticizes their country? It is not their country! Do they own the whole country! It is not anybody's country! Jeesh! No country is perfect! Are all people in a country perfect? I guess that's what happened when you are forced to watch propaganda-like movies while watching films, singing 2 times a day, and not able to travel (for some) abroad to compare and contrast countries, people, cultures,...!
  7. What would Budha say?

Edited by rethaired

The immigration officer should be fired>?????????

<deleted>?

You think you have the right to swear at an immigration official? Do me a favour and try it in your own home country internet warrior. Please report back.

The immigration officer should be fired>?????????

<deleted>?

You think you have the right to swear at an immigration official? Do me a favour and try it in your own home country internet warrior. Please report back.

Do they have the right to be rude? That is sooooo unprofessional, ergo ... fired because one is not conducting oneself as a professional, since you are not behaving as a professional! Case closed!

* BTW, I did not indicate that they should go to jail. I was being nice!

* BTW, true story! A person asks a custom officers to use words like "please" and "thank you" and the officer mazes him! This was a US custom officer, BTW! The case is going to court!

(Some of these custom officers/police officers are sooooo dysfunctional! Have you heard of the 4 Canadian police officers using the taser on one Polish tourist? taser and taser2

Edited by rethaired