Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is different information elsewhere, suggesting he is a victim in all this.

check comments from the bangkok consulate (effectively f.o. london) and the british press

I'm still waiting for Simon to accept as a "friend"... but in the meantime and on a positive note, Simon's friend Natalie DID accept me as a friend. :o

If you think her available-to-the-public photo on the above link is something, you should see what she makes available exclusively to her "friends" :D:D

Pics or it didn't happen.

Okay, now I've read all the facts in relation to this case, I would like to re-post, if possible :D:o & as I've made a request for the CCTV footage of the incident, I'd like the opportunity to re-post again after viewing that. Theres nothing like making comments before all the evidence is gathered :D .

It looks as if this fellow has been treated very very poorly, he probably isnt the first & most certainly won't be the last either. Seems to have been a comedy of errors that has resulted in this outcome, if only he had not sworn in the presence of the Authorities, his nightmare would of already been over.

I was unaware these days if you missed your flight, that meant you were out on your backside. Last time I missed a flight, the airline re-sheduled me onto the next days flight, cost me nothing. :D

Anyway, after he can write a book...... :D , I'm sure a tell all novel would be interesting.

Wow, you actually researched the story to make a better more informed opinion, well good for you.

The rest of you like GrantBkk need to start clicking the links and read the whole story, you keep claiming he acted like some sort of monster, HE DID NOT. He got visibly upset and used the f word in a sentence after just learning his non refundable ticket flew away, stranding him and causing him huge problems, all over a mistake on the part of immigration and the embassy. After just being told by your embassy that they will not keep you out of jail by doing the work RIGHT NOW and instead waiting until Tuesday you would not be angry and upset? Total lie. He swore after being treated horribly, why can't people understand this, READ THE LINKS.

Poor Simon: the "rude remark" that will live in infamy!

Lets all help make Simon RICH and famous. There is a major movie deal in this somewhere. You want to see some major league loss of face?

Film about Thailand. Suggest filming it in VIETNAM (with Vietnamese actors playing Thais).

This story has it all! Racism! Tropical beaches! Third world rat hole prisons (beefcake)! Scabies infections! Black Man in Chains (think Roots)! Mans inhumanity to man! Expat lynch mobs! Culture clashes! Rude remarks! Prison romance (sorry)? Buddy Story about international understanding (Simon teaches a Thai inmate how to split some wood with his hand and Thai inmate shows Simon how to breed insects for "prison curry")! Incompetent Embassy Staff! Brutish Immigration Police! British accents! Martial Arts!

Suggest an Avante Garde Title:

Nail in the Coffin of the Thai Tourism Industry

Too wordy you say?

How about: Rude

or perhaps

Cheeky Simon's Phuket Holiday in Hel_l

Edited by Jingthing

I'm still waiting for Simon to accept as a "friend"... but in the meantime and on a positive note, Simon's friend Natalie DID accept me as a friend. :o

If you think her available-to-the-public photo on the above link is something, you should see what she makes available exclusively to her "friends" :D:D

Can't refuse a challenge like that and so without stretching the limits of the board's proper decorum too far, my and Simon's amply-endowed friend Natalie...

n618062438_453118_6330.jpg

Lets all help make Simon RICH and famous. There is a major movie deal in this somewhere. You want to see some major league loss of face?

Film about Thailand. Suggest filming it in VIETNAM (with Vietnamese actors playing Thais).

Good idea JT, then maybe he can experience the aftermath of insulting a Vietnamese immigration official. I think he might prefer Phuket jail.

However someone has mentioned it but he has spent three weeks in jail and pennyless in a foriegn country plus the time this thread has been running. What about his mate he was travelling with? What about all his friends and family back in the UK? What about the people he was with in the time he was in Thailand? Why did they all sit on their butts doing nothing?

Sure, on the face of it, he has been hard done by - sh@t on even - but there are a lot of loose ends to this case.

Poor Simon: the "rude remark" that will live in infamy!

This story has it all! Racism! Tropical beaches! Third world rat hole prisons (beefcake)! Scabies infections! Black Man in Chains (think Roots)! Mans inhumanity to man! Expat lynch mobs! Culture clashes! Rude remarks! Prison romance (sorry)? Buddy Story about international understanding (Simon teaches a Thai inmate how to split some wood with his hand and Thai inmate shows Simon how to breed insects for "prison curry")! Incompetent Embassy Staff! Brutish Immigration Police! British accents! Martial Arts!

Suggest an Avante Garde Title:

Nail in the Coffin of the Thai Tourism Industry

Too wordy you say?

How about: Rude

or perhaps

Cheeky Simon's Phuket Holiday in Hel_l

"Phuked Over in Phuket"

Edited by Splatter

I have also applied to be Natalie Michelle's Facebook friend, as I should like to see those unfettered orbs.

There are about 1000 freaks (99.99% male) on her friend list, so its not easy to tell which one is SrJ but I suspect he's the one with the stickman drawing. There are a lot of musclemen on her list - I think this is some pumping iron fetish thing.

A link here suggested he may have to wait as long as ONE YEAR before his actual trial. Let that sink in. One year. So what happens during that year. Does he get to wait for the date outside prison (I know he is out now)? Do they let him leave Thailand and return for the trial? I would think not because then he would never come back. Does he have to wait in prison? What happens to his entire life, his finances, his home and people in the UK, waiting ONE YEAR for a trial, even if he gets off the charges at the trial which seems problematical because he will definitely plead guilty (you are mostly forced to do this in Thailand). If they let him wait outside prison for the trial and they make him stay here, on what visa would he stay here, on what money (as this guy sounds like he does not have the dosh)?

What is happening to this Simon guy, what has even happened SO FAR is so over the top, so obviously a GROSS INJUSTICE that its like shooting a flea with an elephant gun. And so many of you think this is some kind of joke. I still go by the theory that many expats deep down FEAR the same kind of thing may happen to THEM, so it makes them feel better to demonize the victim of this, and blame him. This kind of thing never happens to good farangs! It could never happen to me!

Such a bunch of drama queens here.

His trial starts on April 26th : http://phuketwan.com/tourism/briton-jailed-phuket-rude/

As already discussed his best (common sense) option is lay down and kiss some Somchai ass and plead to be allowed back into Thailand.

I have a better theory jingthing..."Most expats are inadequates who love to bluster on forums about things they have no control over. It is a release mechanism and frequently results in delusions of grandeur and grandiose generalisations "

:o

Ooooooohhhhhh! What a keyboard warrior you are! Feel better now? Did it make you feel hard? I bet you enjoyed having a release mechanism when you posted this one!

Okay, now I've read all the facts in relation to this case, I would like to re-post, if possible :D:o & as I've made a request for the CCTV footage of the incident, I'd like the opportunity to re-post again after viewing that. Theres nothing like making comments before all the evidence is gathered :D .

It looks as if this fellow has been treated very very poorly, he probably isnt the first & most certainly won't be the last either. Seems to have been a comedy of errors that has resulted in this outcome, if only he had not sworn in the presence of the Authorities, his nightmare would of already been over.

I was unaware these days if you missed your flight, that meant you were out on your backside. Last time I missed a flight, the airline re-sheduled me onto the next days flight, cost me nothing. :D

Anyway, after he can write a book...... :D, I'm sure a tell all novel would be interesting.

Wow, you actually researched the story to make a better more informed opinion, well good for you.

The rest of you like GrantBkk need to start clicking the links and read the whole story, you keep claiming he acted like some sort of monster, HE DID NOT. He got visibly upset and used the f word in a sentence after just learning his non refundable ticket flew away, stranding him and causing him huge problems, all over a mistake on the part of immigration and the embassy. After just being told by your embassy that they will not keep you out of jail by doing the work RIGHT NOW and instead waiting until Tuesday you would not be angry and upset? Total lie. He swore after being treated horribly, why can't people understand this, READ THE LINKS.

Perhaps it is you who should do the research into my past posts on this subject Mr. Sabum. I have advocated that all charges against Mr. Burrows should be dismissed and that he flown home for free. I do think he contributed to his own downfall and I hope he has learned some very valuable life's lessons.

Has anyone seen the beating marks from the leather strap he says the police used on him?

Also of note are the hottness of the women on Mr. Burrows' Facebook page. Has anyone been designated as a "friend" of his yet so we can see what he has been posting?

Has anyone else noticed ... whenever we read of cases of anyone being in trouble with the police / immigration in Thailand its always part of the story that they have no money.?

I have noticed this and it makes me think... why do people go to Thailand (when its known that the jails are awful) without enough readily accessable cash to buy their way out of any potential problems. ? I mean .. how absurd to go on any kind of holiday and find yourself checking in at the airport to return to your homeland with no money for unforseen eventualities.One of the things i love about Thailand is that money buys you everything... they are shameless about it and i like that. You know where you stand. So why on earth do people not carry plenty of the stuff in various forms?

Although i do sympatise with him , and think he was badly treated (and as usual out govt are worse than useless ) , i almost think he deserves a day in jail for being stupid enough to have no money when abroad.

I know the Thai education system better then most,my wife went through it and my daughter is going through it...Both have better education then the average Australian student.. dry.gif

Case closed then as we can't hope to get a more objective analysis than yours, from a person with no emotional investment in making his learned evaluation.

BTW: I have heard that in Thai unis, once accepted, as long as you pay the fees, you are 100 percent guaranteed to graduate.

Well you 'heard' wrong...some of my wife's uni mates were failed based on their exam performance having certainly paid in full.

Perhaps you should check the veracity of your sources instead of making unsubstantiated comments to support some dubious point about how bad LOS can be.

Hi,

I am actually a Relative of Simon Burrows. I found this topic by googleing his name to check out the news coverage.

I'm quite surprised to see some people to say that he had deserved what he has been though. Those of us that know Simon, know that he would not have ever have insulted an official (especially in another country). I would urge you all to watch the videos that he has posted on his Facebook page recalling the events. You will soon realise that he really isn't the type of person to go around looking for trouble.

I have myself been to Thailand twice, and incidentally I too had a little bit of trouble at an Airport on my way home. This time it was a check in clerk (not even security!) that couldn’t believe that my party was legitimately together. I think she was overwhelmed by seeing me, a mixed race man, travelling with a black woman (my aunt), a black man (my cousin) and a white man (my uncle). She looked rather puzzled at my passport and asked me to confirm that I was born in London, and then asked me for further identification, even though she was holding my passport.

I was only 16 at the time and was very naive and polite, and offered to show her my London Travelcard as further ID (Ridiculous I know). I know that if that would have happened now, an easily done slip of the tongue from a stressed out traveller, about to embark on a long flight, in what was then a chaotic airport, could have landed me in a whole heap of bother. My Aunt luckily diffused the situation and managed to get the check in clerk to apologise to me.

I feel that Simon has been initially very unlucky but has been treated very badly and unjustly. Simon is 44 years old - This is something that the Thai officials just could not believe, and many don't - he simply doesn't look his age. Secondly, Simon is a well built, dark skinned, tall man. To many I'm sure his appearance is immediately intimidating - but this should not be enough to suspect someone of any wrong doing. Thirdly, the British Consulate let him down with their 9 to 5, 2 hour lunch, "we don't do anything after 2pm on a Friday" culture. So, with the British Consulate claiming to not know who this person was, the Thai authorities can be forgiven (to a certain extent) for treating him like a law breaker. Likewise, Simon can be forgiven for saying the word "fuc_king" and "Idiot" in front of the same authorities that ignored his questions and sniggered at him when he raised his voice in search for an answer. I can't even imagine the panic that I would have gone through if I was in that situation - if my friends had all gone, along with the flight I was supposed to be on, and I was locked in a room in a foreign country with officials that wouldn't even answer my questions or look at me in the eyes, and would only occasionally acknowledge me by laughing at me.

For those of you that are in support of Simon, please join the Facebook group in support of him (search "Help Simon- Brit faces two years in Thai jail")

He has also been interviewed by ITN news so we should hopefully see him on the news in the UK soon.

Can't refuse a challenge like that and so without stretching the limits of the board's proper decorum too far, my and Simon's amply-endowed friend Natalie...

n618062438_453118_6330.jpg

Which one is Natalie?

Edited by scottyd

Perhaps you should check the veracity of your sources instead of making unsubstantiated comments to support some dubious point about how bad LOS can be.

Its unfortunate for you that you can't make the distinction between a professional journalist and a snippet of opinion from a poster on an internet forum. :o

Edited by Jingthing

Hi,

I am actually a Relative of Simon Burrows. I found this topic by googleing his name to check out the news coverage.

I'm quite surprised to see some people to say that he had deserved what he has been though. Those of us that know Simon, know that he would not have ever have insulted an official (especially in another country). I would urge you all to watch the videos that he has posted on his Facebook page recalling the events. You will soon realise that he really isn't the type of person to go around looking for trouble.

I have myself been to Thailand twice, and incidentally I too had a little bit of trouble at an Airport on my way home. This time it was a check in clerk (not even security!) that couldn't believe that my party was legitimately together. I think she was overwhelmed by seeing me, a mixed race man, travelling with a black woman (my aunt), a black man (my cousin) and a white man (my uncle). She looked rather puzzled at my passport and asked me to confirm that I was born in London, and then asked me for further identification, even though she was holding my passport.

I was only 16 at the time and was very naive and polite, and offered to show her my London Travelcard as further ID (Ridiculous I know). I know that if that would have happened now, an easily done slip of the tongue from a stressed out traveller, about to embark on a long flight, in what was then a chaotic airport, could have landed me in a whole heap of bother. My Aunt luckily diffused the situation and managed to get the check in clerk to apologise to me.

I feel that Simon has been initially very unlucky but has been treated very badly and unjustly. Simon is 44 years old - This is something that the Thai officials just could not believe, and many don't - he simply doesn't look his age. Secondly, Simon is a well built, dark skinned, tall man. To many I'm sure his appearance is immediately intimidating - but this should not be enough to suspect someone of any wrong doing. Thirdly, the British Consulate let him down with their 9 to 5, 2 hour lunch, "we don't do anything after 2pm on a Friday" culture. So, with the British Consulate claiming to not know who this person was, the Thai authorities can be forgiven (to a certain extent) for treating him like a law breaker. Likewise, Simon can be forgiven for saying the word "fuc_king" and "Idiot" in front of the same authorities that ignored his questions and sniggered at him when he raised his voice in search for an answer. I can't even imagine the panic that I would have gone through if I was in that situation - if my friends had all gone, along with the flight I was supposed to be on, and I was locked in a room in a foreign country with officials that wouldn't even answer my questions or look at me in the eyes, and would only occasionally acknowledge me by laughing at me.

For those of you that are in support of Simon, please join the Facebook group in support of him (search "Help Simon- Brit faces two years in Thai jail")

He has also been interviewed by ITN news so we should hopefully see him on the news in the UK soon.

Thankyou

Totally useless information but reading that part of the reason the authorities doubted his passport was due to Simon looking so much younger than 44 reminds me of my good friend that lives here in Thailand, he's a just over 50 year old black American man that has a ripped body like an adonis and the face of a 30 year old.. Black people truly seem to age well. I will have to ask him if he has problems with ID since I would never have believed he was over 50 if I didn't know him, it would be too unbelievable.

I would urge you all to watch the videos that he has posted on his Facebook page recalling the events.

I'd be interested in seeing his version of events on the videos, but they are not accessible to the general public.

As a family member of his and presuming you have access, please post them here.

As for:

only results in:

Facebook

Search for: Help Simon- Brit faces two years in Thai jail

Found no results for your search.

Various other wordings yielded the same result. Do you have a direct link to joining the group?

Edited by sriracha john

If this link works you can access the group here

It does seem that this chap has been pretty badly let down by the embassy and badly treated by the Thai authorities. OK we know that you should be very cagey around officialdom, especially in this country, but enough is enough time to let the guy go home.

It does seem that this chap has been pretty badly let down by the embassy and badly treated by the Thai authorities. OK we know that you should be very cagey around officialdom, especially in this country, but enough is enough time to let the guy go home.

By my count, in just two days Simon has changed out his friends. I liked his Facebook site before that had the women with the giant breasts. Is this some kind of public relations move? Has anyone here been befriended so the info can be posted here? We went from a shirtless Simon to an impersonal picture of a building. What gives?

http://britinthaijail.blogspot.com/

After seven hours of being refused water, food, a phone call and being teased in the jail I awarding myself some attention. Taken into a room , my case officer began

"Where are you from ?"

"London"

"Don't lie to me. I can send you back home or I can send you to London"

I had a phone conversation with a british embassy representative who effectively sealed my fate. suggesting that I go to prison for a weekend as it was nearly Friday pm and everybody would soon want to wrap up for the weekend.

The weekend in prison became four days before I saw a british embassy representative who enthused that I should be released by day six. By day eleven...

After reading Simons telling of events I am seriously ashamed to be classified as an expat and share ANYTHING in common with most of you posting on this thread, it makes me sick that I would ever be mistaken for one of you. Thailand truly does attract mostly the scum of other nations to live here doesnt it? Yes..... you are a far worse person than everything you tried to pin on Simon.

it makes me sick that I would ever be mistaken for one of you. Thailand truly does attract mostly the scum of other nations to live here doesnt it? Yes..... you are a far worse person than everything you tried to pin on Simon.

Aw shucks, we are not all that bad. Just check for the purple shirts ...

Edited by Jingthing

By my count, in just two days Simon has changed out his friends. I liked his Facebook site before that had the women with the giant breasts. Is this some kind of public relations move? Has anyone here been befriended so the info can be posted here? We went from a shirtless Simon to an impersonal picture of a building. What gives?

Pity about that, she looks Thai too! On a more serious note this guy appears to have been stitched up by official incompetence, no doubt they will have laws in place that prevent them from being sued.

After reading Simons telling of events I am seriously ashamed to be classified as an expat and share ANYTHING in common with most of you posting on this thread, it makes me sick that I would ever be mistaken for one of you. Thailand truly does attract mostly the scum of other nations to live here doesnt it? Yes..... you are a far worse person than everything you tried to pin on Simon.

Quite. You should all be ashamed of yourselves - for judging people on appearances.

The 37 year old Asian woman who has had a sawn-in-half Graf Zeppelin attached to her chest is named 'Natalie Michelle'. She has 1200 Facebook friends. Join her freakshow !

Edited by Journalist