How To Open A Bank Account In Bangkok Without Work Permit

helo guys.

I am trying to open a bank account in bangkok but i dont have a work permit yet. i want to transfer my money in maldives bank account to bangkok so that i can extend my visa after 3 months to one year visa.

please let me know which bank will allow me to open a account without a work permit. i tried bangkok bank but they didnt..

whats the minimum amount required to open a bank account? can i apply for ATM card too? by the way what is SCB stands for?

Sorry for a stupid question.. i am still new to these stuff

500B, 1000B

SCB = Siam Commercial Bank

You should not be allowed to open an account without work permit at any bank. Sometimes people get lucky and strike an incompetent staff member. Keep on trying.

To open the account. 1,000 Baht, probably less.

Yes they give you an ATM/Debit Card. You can even get Internet Banking.

SCB Siam Comercial Bank.

As said you will not get a current account, but you will get a Savings Account.

helo guys.

I am trying to open a bank account in bangkok but i dont have a work permit yet. i want to transfer my money in maldives bank account to bangkok so that i can extend my visa after 3 months to one year visa.

please let me know which bank will allow me to open a account without a work permit. i tried bangkok bank but they didnt..

2 days ago, I was told from a friend that just done it, that if I put 50 000bht when I open the account it would be ok, and that was Bangkok bank

I got mine at Bangkok Bank. It was hilarious. They told me I needed a work permit, so I invoked the ever popular "My friend said it's O.K." Worked like a charm. Got a cup of coffee and a piece of cake too!! :o

this is cool. i will go bangkok bank then and tell them that many of my Farang friends in bangkok said its ok can open.. let me try this..

Plea to moderators - Please make opening a bank account in thailand into a pinned topic!

Just today we have not one but two new threads started about "what do I need to start a bank account" (here and in the business forum) ... to join the countless other pre-existing threads on the same topic.

Doesn't anyone ever spend a few minutes either flicking through the old threads or doing a forum search before starting a new thread on this subject? All the info you need is there already

But nope, each time we get the same "this guy in this bank said .." and then "oh, i went to that bank and they said <the other>. "Oh, that must have been a different brach then?", and on it goes.

News flash: you don't need a work permit to open an account! Different staff in the same branch of the same bank will tell you different things about what is or isn't required. This has usually nothing to do with head office policy and everything to do with a lot of other things, including ignorance of what their own rules really are.

Hence there is little point in saying to some newbie to go a specific bank at some location and you will be ok (i.e. because I was when I went there).

Better advice is simply to walk along any street and try each bank you come to, you will almost certainly walk out with a passbook by about the third bank.

I got mine at Bangkok Bank. It was hilarious. They told me I needed a work permit, so I invoked the ever popular "My friend said it's O.K." Worked like a charm. Got a cup of coffee and a piece of cake too!! :o

this is cool. i will go bangkok bank then and tell them that many of my Farang friends in bangkok said its ok can open.. let me try this..

Try a few Banks. Bangkok Bank tend to ask for a larger initial deposit. Previously I found Thai Farmers Bank needed less money but for Farangs HSBC are more with it.

Plea to moderators - Please make opening a bank account in thailand into a pinned topic!

What would they say in there? Can't say walk and keep on trying until you get lucky.

Retirees have their visa, that's more than walking into a branch without anything.

I would be very surprised if any of Thai or other banks in Thailand would have the rule stated that requires nothing but passport with no any visa other than tourist or no visa at all.

Just today we have not one but two new threads started about "what do I need to start a bank account" (here and in the business forum) ... to join the countless other pre-existing threads on the same topic.

Doesn't anyone ever spend a few minutes either flicking through the old threads or doing a forum search before starting a new thread on this subject? All the info you need is there already

But nope, each time we get the same "this guy in this bank said .." and then "oh, i went to that bank and they said <the other>. "Oh, that must have been a different brach then?", and on it goes.

News flash: you don't need a work permit to open an account! Different staff in the same branch of the same bank will tell you different things about what is or isn't required. This has usually nothing to do with head office policy and everything to do with a lot of other things, including ignorance of what their own rules really are.

Hence there is little point in saying to some newbie to go a specific bank at some location and you will be ok (i.e. because I was when I went there).

Better advice is simply to walk along any street and try each bank you come to, you will almost certainly walk out with a passbook by about the third bank.

TMB will, in principle, only open an account for a non-Thai if you have a work permit & all

KTB, SCB, TB, Kasikorn, don't have this rule.

A friend opened an account without a work permit in Bangkok Bank's head office in Silom just before Xmas. Head for the first 2-3 desks on the right hand side in the new accounts services area - they have English speaking staff handling foreigners.

hi,

I opened an account at Bangkok Bank, on toutist visa. Went in with girlfriend, I used her parents address. She had to show her id, also stand as guarantor. Came out with bank book + atm card. The whole process took about 20mins.

jb1

I would be very surprised if any of Thai or other banks in Thailand would have the rule stated that requires nothing but passport with no any visa other than tourist or no visa at all.

Sorry we have crossed wires ... I didn't mean to say that people don't need anything, just that they don't need a work permit for your common or garden variety savings/transaction account.

Some banks ask for only a passport, some require a non-O or B visa, proof of residence, etc. They all ask for something but often no discernible rhyme or reason to it.

Guys stop fighting and arguing. i just went to seacon and went in to Kasikorn Bank where there was beautiful customer care girls. They welcomed me with a big smile and asked me what i want. i told them i want to open a bank account she asked for work permit. i said sorry no work permit but i got a long term visa (NON-O, Multi entry 1 year).

thats all guys. i was given a number and in 10 seconds my token number came. so i went to the smiling girl at the counter and its all done. i was asked to sign on 2 papers and 2 times on the pass book. i got ATM + Book and she went with me to ATM and helped me to change the PIN in my card. i deposited 40,000 baht on spot and she had a smile for me. luckily she stay in my area and knows my building.

so today i did a lot. got a bank account, card, pass book and a beautiful friend.

thanks for the important information u guys posted here..

Edited by HassanMuneer

Guys stop fighting and arguing. i just went to seacon and went in to Kasikorn Bank where there was beautiful customer care girls. They welcomed me with a big smile and asked me what i want. i told them i want to open a bank account she asked for work permit. i said sorry no work permit but i got a long term visa (NON-O, Multi entry 1 year).

thats all guys. i was given a number and in 10 seconds my token number came. so i went to the smiling girl at the counter and its all done. i was asked to sign on 2 papers and 2 times on the pass book. i got ATM + Book and she went with me to ATM and helped me to change the PIN in my card. i deposited 40,000 baht on spot and she had a smile for me. luckily she stay in my area and knows my building.

so today i did a lot. got a bank account, card, pass book and a beautiful friend.

They will also give you internet banking.

I hope she was not looking over your shoulder when you changed your PIN......

Why do you care if new people ask old questions? If you don't want to read it just click on another subject and maybe you will be happier. Tho I doubt it.