Staying In Thailand Long Term

what is the best way i can stay in thailand,i am thinking about running a business,i am married to a thai national with a 1 yr old baby,i want to open a business,i am 41 yrs old,from uk......what is the best way for me to be able to stay without having to come home to uk every year to obtain a yearly (o) visa at thai consulate....could i post my application for an o visa from thailand to consulate in hull every year and that way it would save me from coming home every year ???? help please thanks...

If you intend to open a business, you need to make that legal so you could go with the B visa/work permit route. Do you actually have the funds to open a business here? If not, you could try to get a job and go for extensions based on marriage. BTW, it is illegal to post your passport out of Thailand and if you do that, you will be caught. I just posted that as an opening salvo, experts on the business route are sure to supply more details/corrections.

Edited by Jingthing

what is the best way i can stay in thailand,i am thinking about running a business,i am married to a thai national with a 1 yr old baby,i want to open a business,i am 41 yrs old,from uk......what is the best way for me to be able to stay without having to come home to uk every year to obtain a yearly (o) visa at thai consulate....could i post my application for an o visa from thailand to consulate in hull every year and that way it would save me from coming home every year ???? help please thanks...

Your best option to stay is a 12 month Extension based on your marriage.

Basically you need 40,000 Baht a month income OR 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank

You could go for the 12 month extensions based on marriage. However I'd guess, based on your age plus your question on starting a business, you aren't quite ready for the bedroom slippers and pipe retirement yet.

So, do you have any ideas what sort of business you'd be looking at and what, ball park, figure do you have in mind for start up costs and have you sufficient funds available plus a margin as safety net? With a young family to support you can't be quite so lassez faire about finances and risk as some have.

One year at a time on a marriage or a retirement visa like most expats do or go for so call(Red Book) Resident Visa, which will set you back about BT120000(??)