Called A Farang

fred2007

isn't it (stuff you learn on day 1 of thai 101 )

Thank you. Thai seems to be a rather efficient language considering only one word is needed to convey an expression that requires two words in english (I guess three, considering the contraction).

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you. Thai seems to be a rather efficient language considering only one word is needed to convey an expression that requires two words in english (I guess three, considering the contraction).

2 words in thai...there are no spaces (another thing you learn on day 1) ..hahaha

If you have been in Thailand for long or mixed with Thais a lot you will notice that we hardly talk about racism as it is not an issue in Thailand nor an interesting subject for us to talk about. In fact, our knowledge of racism is so poor that if you call us a brown skinned asian monkey, we wouldn't be upset at all. However, whereas in Birmingham, people are well aware of racism so it is normal for Asian people to be upset when called by certain words. To be honest, I am really glad that Thais are very neutral towards racial issue hence we have many tourists in our country. The only thing I don't like about my country is its Politics - and not the corruptions!

Kind Regards

Tongfaafaasai

This latest post of yours has just confirmed what I was suspecting, you're just naive. But don't listen to me, what do I know...after all I'm just a(nother) farang .

2 words in thai...there are no spaces (another thing you learn on day 1) ..hahaha

:o

:o

fun isn't it :D

If you have been in Thailand for long or mixed with Thais a lot you will notice that we hardly talk about racism as it is not an issue in Thailand nor an interesting subject for us to talk about. In fact, our knowledge of racism is so poor that if you call us a brown skinned asian monkey, we wouldn't be upset at all. However, whereas in Birmingham, people are well aware of racism so it is normal for Asian people to be upset when called by certain words. To be honest, I am really glad that Thais are very neutral towards racial issue hence we have many tourists in our country. The only thing I don't like about my country is its Politics - and not the corruptions!

Kind Regards

Tongfaafaasai

How are those Rohingyas getting on, buddy? Or those Muslims in the South? Or those dark skinned Isaan folk? And how about the prices for those National Parks? Or the rents Japanese expats get charged?

Kind Regards

Tongfaafaasai

This latest post of yours has just confirmed what I was suspecting, you're just naive. But don't listen to me, what do I know...after all I'm just a(nother) farang .

I agree with you Isee. Look, if I was this guy Tongfaafaasai and others like him, I too would not like half the western world believing my people (Thais) were a bunch of rasict xenophobes either. I also would be insisting that we westeners have got it all wrong, that we don't understand, that Thais are just misunderstood. Maybe if you keep deneying it, people will believe you. Sheer drivel.

He painted a little picture of his past experience "years ago" and yes it may very well be true, however, western populations have grown-up a lot since those days. And to ensure people are civil to each other , those of any race, we have put laws in place. Maybe Thai awareness of this word oft used in a derogatory fashion simply needs time to mature, say 40 to 60 years.

The bottom line is this, a very few westeners allow themselves to be called this word because they have given in/up fighting a seemingly losing battle. Or, they have no backbone to indicate their displeasure (maybe they are scared of causing a spectacle, or even of getting into a fight, or police/immigration problems...who knows?) Or, they may have lost (if they had any in the first place) their sence of dignity.

I for one, when I perceive that a Thai is using the word "farang" in a put-down, derogatory, discourteous mannar I tell them so directly, but civilly, which is something they did not afford me in the first instance.

Kind Regards

Tongfaafaasai

And how about the prices for those National Parks?

the last bunch I have seen still use the term ชาวต่างประเทศ

I don't mind being referred to as falang as most folks that use the term in the rural area where I live don't know no better, ie., they're not being deliberately disrespectful. I often use the term meself to distinguish something western from someting thai as a lot of folks think that we all have the same terms of reference. What I dislike is 'FALANG, <deleted> YOU!' from drunken men and young hooligans on their motorbikes...the ignorant grinning reprobates actually think it's funny... :o

I don't mind being referred to as falang as most folks that use the term in the rural area where I live don't know no better, ie., they're not being deliberately disrespectful. I often use the term meself to distinguish something western from someting thai as a lot of folks think that we all have the same terms of reference. What I dislike is 'FALANG, <deleted> YOU!' from drunken men and young hooligans on their motorbikes...the ignorant grinning reprobates actually think it's funny... :o

Tutsi your painting a comical picture . Just give them some encouragement to go faster. problem solved over the sonkran period I suspect :D

Took the Kids to a local restaurant last night. Surprised to find lots of Kids from school there too. A bit of banter started up between my Girls , another Luk Krung Girl and some local scrotes. My Kids were giving just as good as they got. I asked them about School and as they are very happy at school I was surprised to find the Farang thing comes up also When they get called Farang Kee noc they counter with harsh words which I asked them to translate due to my ignorance of the Thai language, The words if I can remember right were such harsh words such as 'Black Duck' , ' Face like a big Bowl' or similar phrases they've picked up a school . They seemed to be winning the battle :D

Took the Kids to a local restaurant last night. Surprised to find lots of Kids from school there too. A bit of banter started up between my Girls , another Luk Krung Girl and some local scrotes. My Kids were giving just as good as they got. I asked them about School and as they are very happy at school I was surprised to find the Farang thing comes up also When they get called Farang Kee noc they counter with harsh words which I asked them to translate due to my ignorance of the Thai language, The words if I can remember right were such harsh words such as 'Black Duck' , ' Face like a big Bowl' or similar phrases they've picked up a school . They seemed to be winning the battle :D

That's cute. Nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than the playful racist banter of young children. :o

That's cute. Nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than the playful racist banter of young children. :o

Yeah Young 'Smiling' Racists thugs having fun. I was more concerned it was a 'Boy meets Girl thing. :D Anyhow, anyone know the latest on the GLOBAL FINANCIAL MELTDOWN ? :D

Tutsi your painting a comical picture .

yeah...like sumpin' outta an R Crumb comic, I bet...(I can hear them yelling 'hey! whaddaya call a one legged falang?...shit onna stick! haw, haw!...' :D )

nobody'll be laughing when I pull a 12 gauge pump action outta my shorts and add lead to their somtam (mutter, bitch, moan, grumble...)

tutsi has been watching too many Scorcese videos when at home on leave...

Tutsi your painting a comical picture .

yeah...like sumpin' outta an R Crumb comic, I bet...(I can hear them yelling 'hey! whaddaya call a one legged falang?...shit onna stick! haw, haw!...' :D )

nobody'll be laughing when I pull a 12 gauge pump action outta my shorts and add lead to their somtam (mutter, bitch, moan, grumble...)

tutsi has been watching too many Scorcese videos when at home on leave...

Thats when the often used term "Farang Pee Baa" comes into play. Atleast from the ones left standing :D

I'm sure there will be no rascist undertones, just sheer horror :D

Whens the Next Full Moon ?

The only thing that bothers me about the word farang is that it's origins have to do with the French. I'm not French, and no matter how hard I try I never will be French. Other than that I have no problem with the word. In fact I use it now too. If you are offended by being called a foreigner then you have some issues, however it is perfectly normal to be offended by someone calling you French. "Farang" is just one of those words that has developed a broader definition over time. Today its meaning is if you are a white westerner then YOU ARE FARANG (so deal with it, or stop using language).

I thought I could find at least one broadminded guy :D

but as you said "deal with it" Now you know the origin of the word I hope you won't lose your sleep over it as, from now on, you will have to associate it with FRENCH, :o mate

The only thing that bothers me about the word farang is that it's origins have to do with the French. I'm not French, and no matter how hard I try I never will be French. Other than that I have no problem with the word. In fact I use it now too. If you are offended by being called a foreigner then you have some issues, however it is perfectly normal to be offended by someone calling you French. "Farang" is just one of those words that has developed a broader definition over time. Today its meaning is if you are a white westerner then YOU ARE FARANG (so deal with it, or stop using language).

Farang word doesn't come origins from French.

In Thailand history said Farang is origins word from "Frank".

Ooops I guess you are wrong and right

This is the popular theory, the one you declined: the word used to name French people is farangset (the Thai pronunciation of français) and France was one of the first European nations to establish cultural ties with Thailand , dating back to the 17th century) so 'white man' equaled 'Frenchman' to the Thai people of that time :o

As to your reference to Frank, it is a correct one, but then again, sorry for non French Farang, it is linked to the French etymology, Franks were a West Germanic tribe from which France derives it's name. :D

The origin of the word has nothing to do with it, it's the context in which it is used when it becomes a problem for some people. The same way fat people are offended when they are called fat, because it's just not nice, although accurate.

What's wrong with being called a farang?
What's wrong in calling an african/american a nigger ? It's my interpretaion of knowing the difference between a white American and a black. In American, blacks refer to other blacks as 'niggers', but white's cannot do. But all seems okay in blacks calling white's as 'honkies'. If you were to call a person, these days, a 'nigger' you wouldn't last long. So why can the Thais get away with a similar slur ? I accept that 'farang' is a generalisation to identify me, and other westerners, but to stand and point whilst screaming "farang farang' is a bit OTT, and ignorant. In saying "ignorant" I find this a normal trait for Thai people. This is not a wind up but my opinion. Edited by coventry

The words if I can remember right were such harsh words such as 'Black Duck' , ' Face like a big Bowl' or similar phrases they've picked up a school . They seemed to be winning the battle

Please lets hear the Thai for those wonderful phrases!

The words if I can remember right were such harsh words such as 'Black Duck' , ' Face like a big Bowl' or similar phrases they've picked up a school . They seemed to be winning the battle

You want me to ask my sweet little rascist thugs to repeat those obsenities :D

I'll ask them again tommorow when they finish Ballet Class. The youngest's 5 she was the most Vocal, She'll enjoy it.

I'm sure some of the PC Brigade on here think I'm a bad Parent. :D I probably won't sleep tonight because of the Guilt of allowing my Kids to Call someone a 'Black Duck' or was it 'face like a Black duck' or 'nose like a Black Duck' . Maybe they should leave the Black out of it. :o

I'm sure some of the PC Brigade on here think I'm a bad Parent. :D I probably won't sleep tonight because of the Guilt of allowing my Kids to Call someone a 'Black Duck' or was it 'face like a Black duck' or 'nose like a Black Duck' . Maybe they should leave the Black out of it. :o

You sound like a normal parent with normal kids, we called black kids niggers at school and they called us honkies, it's all a part of growing up.

I'll ask them again tommorow when they finish Ballet Class. The youngest's 5 she was the most Vocal, She'll enjoy it.

Why take it out on ducks ? Or is it cause they're black ? In which case, in the western world, they'd be racist . Irrespective of what colour the duck is, it's a ****ing duck. Calling it a negro duck or white duck, just narrows things down a little, without being a racist. Edited by coventry

Why take it out on ducks ? Or is it cause they're black ? In which case, in the western world, they'd be racist . Irrespective of what colour the duck is, it's a ****ing duck. Calling it a negro duck or white duck, just narrows things down a little, without being a racist.

Thanks Coventry, best leave the ****ing duck out of it then, I'll concentrate on the 'face like a Big Bowl'

Can't remember where you stand on this Farang thing we're talking about, Not sure wether your sensitive on Duck rights either. its a Minefield this Forum. :D

I don't buy the "farang is not offensive".

The word was probably not offensive years ago, but now it clearly is.

My landlord who has worked in the states in a management capacity takes great care not to use the word farang.

My few thai friends also never use it, not surprisingly since they have studied abroad.

The girls I have dated here don't use it around me and would be surprised the few times I said myself.

On the other hand a thai-indian property owner I met some time ago, spoke very good english, but kept using farang in sentences such as "farangs never take of their shoes". Now that is clearly derogatory.

The low class people who shout it at the street are the equvivalent of uneducated drivel in the west who will use "paki" in Britain, "nigger" in the US and whatever racist crap you have in your countries. I cant be bothered with human trash like that, not here or anywhere.

If someone who knew me used it, I would be pissed, but they don't.

Westerners or foreigners or non Thais who accept this racial slur are a disgrace to their own race. I accept that it can be used as purely descriptive but that is in itself potentially racially abusive and in its most common usage it is akin to "nigger" or "<deleted>", "paki", "coon" or other non acceptable word.

Sorry, I do not use the word and will not accept it. Now roll up all you "I know more than the Thais" westerners to tell me how it should be, how I know nothing and how I should be kissing their arse etc.

Disagree strongly. Farang is simply a Thai term for people of Caucasoid race. You are annoyed when called a farang simply becuase you do NOT understand the word like the Thais do. It's a culture-language thing rather than a racial issue. You can trust me on this as I am from Thailand, born and bred! You can read more about this in my other post above.

Kind Regards,

Tongfaafaasai

Agree with Tongfaafaasai. Farang is neutral with a few provisos eg if Thais know you, and are still referring to you as farang in your presence and not by your name, that's impolite.

...[farang] in its most common usage it is akin to "nigger" or "<deleted>", "paki", "coon" or other non acceptable word.

Sorry, I do not use the word and will not accept it

Farang khee nok ฝรั่งขี้นก might fit that, but not farang.

I don't buy the "farang is not offensive".

The word was probably not offensive years ago, but now it clearly is....

You are, simply, wrong. It depends on the context.

I'm with jetset but why don't we just agree to disagree as the Mod says were flogging the dead horse and then flogging it again every month.