Tourist Visa Fee Exemption Begins Thursday March 5th.

Dear members

Im ready to read about the NEW experiences with tourist visas from

Penang and if some make in Naratiwatarea (2 entries).

Thanks if you respond thats very polite at this time in the world.

There has not been any new reports. last we heard Penang was single only. Double entries were issued at Kota Bharu Malaysia.

In a previous post about this fee waiver it was mentioned that it only applies to a single entry tourist visa. Has this changed? Perhaps they'll issue a single entry tourist visa free but charge full fee for a double or triple entry.

That is still the question. The press releases don't answer it, so we have to look on some websites from embassies telling us more or reports from people who applied for a double tourist visa. Hopefully we will know more soon.

does anyone know what the current status is on double entry tourist in Vientiene? are they still giving them out and what are they charging? is the first one free?

thx steve

Just got my free single entry tourist visa from Royal Thai Consulate in Hull (UK). I posted the application Monday lunchtime and got my passport back Wednesday complete with visa. Can't get much better than that....

TAT wants visa fees waived for China, Japan

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) wants to extend the waiving of visa fees to China and Japan to attract more tourists during the low season.

Board Chairman Weerasuk Kowsurat said the TAT would evaluate the success of the existing scheme, which was implemented on March 5, and recommend its extension if warranted to the Tourism and Sport Ministry.

The government is stimulating tourism in tough times by waiving visa fees for 42 nationalities for three months. Weerasuk said the proposal covered only the sensitive markets of Japan and China.

"If we could offer visa waiving to China and Japan after May, when their long holidays fall, we should have more visitors," Weerasuk said.

Tourism and Sport Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa said he would ask Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to visit China to restore tourist confidence.

China and Japan are the big tourist markets, along with Malaysia and South Korea.

Last year 900,000 Chinese came to Thailand, and this is expected to reach one million this year.

The TAT expects more than 70 charter flights from China during Songkran.

It plans road shows to Shanghai and Beijing in May.

Total arrivals have been falling due to the economic crisis, but the TAT projects 14 million as planned for this year.

- The Nation / 2009-03-23

• 4 weeks later...
Tourist visa exemption effective Thursday

BANGKOK, March 4 (TNA) - Tharit Charungvat, Director-General of the Department of Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Cabinet's decision to exempt the need for a tourist visa for those traveling to Thailand would be in effect from this Thursday to June 4.

In regard to the Cabinet's approval on January 20 as part of the economic stimulus package, the need for a tourist visa for all travellers would be waived for three months starting from March 5.

This included the waiving of a tourist visa on arrival and visitors having to apply for a visa to Thailand at Thai consulates and embassies worldwide.

Foreigners applying for a visa other than a tourist visa must still pay the regular rate.

OK - so can I make sure I'm 100% clear on this.

Q: I can go to ANY Thai consulate in ANY country and get a FREE 3 month single entry tourist visa???

That post/quote is not correct. The visa is free but it is still required for visa entry. Yes a single entry tourist visa is free everywhere.

They mess up a fairly good system and now are desperate for tourists. :D

No fee for a tourist visa = good. :D

BUT, selective enforcement of a round trip ticket requirement to get a tourist visa = bad. :o

One hand does not know what the other hand is doing. TIT :D

Tourist visa exemption effective Thursday

BANGKOK, March 4 (TNA) - Tharit Charungvat, Director-General of the Department of Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Cabinet's decision to exempt the need for a tourist visa for those traveling to Thailand would be in effect from this Thursday to June 4.

In regard to the Cabinet's approval on January 20 as part of the economic stimulus package, the need for a tourist visa for all travellers would be waived for three months starting from March 5.

This included the waiving of a tourist visa on arrival and visitors having to apply for a visa to Thailand at Thai consulates and embassies worldwide.

Foreigners applying for a visa other than a tourist visa must still pay the regular rate.

Does this mean, I can arrive in Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (without visa) anytime before June 4 and apply for the visa at the Arrival Visa counter at the airport and it is still FREE regardless of nationality.

Is the visa valid for 30 days?

Please advise.

No. A tourist visa has to be applied for at a Thai ambassy or consulate.

At the airport in Thailand you will only get a visa exempt entry or visa on Arrival, if you qualify for one.

So, "VISA ON ARRIVAL" at the Suvarnabhumi Airport is FREE till June 4???

No. A tourist visa has to be applied for at a Thai ambassy or consulate.

At the airport in Thailand you will only get a visa exempt entry or visa on Arrival, if you qualify for one.

So, "VISA ON ARRIVAL" at the Suvarnabhumi Airport is FREE till June 4???

Yes visa on arrival is free. It is only good for 15 days and only for thsoe whose home country is listed here

http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

This is good news. Why? Although I normally get my free visa upon arrival for 30 days (Canadian citizen), ONe time among my many visits to the Land of Smiles I was refused by the stand-in (anotehr airline working for actual airline) check-in staff at my departing airport "You need a return or onward ticket!" 'Technically, yes. But that is never enforced' "But we will be fined if you are refused!" Etc. Now, no questions. Just be without passport for afew days and get free visa. No paper work on plane. Fatser. Thank you, Department of Immigration.

This is good news. Why? Although I normally get my free visa upon arrival for 30 days (Canadian citizen), ONe time among my many visits to the Land of Smiles I was refused by the stand-in (anotehr airline working for actual airline) check-in staff at my departing airport "You need a return or onward ticket!" 'Technically, yes. But that is never enforced' "But we will be fined if you are refused!" Etc. Now, no questions. Just be without passport for afew days and get free visa. No paper work on plane. Fatser. Thank you, Department of Immigration.

You don't get a visa on arrival, you get a visa exempt entry. That is something different. Don't confuse the 2 and don't follow the signs for visa on arrival.

• 10 months later...
Just got my free single entry tourist visa from Royal Thai Consulate in Hull (UK). I posted the application Monday lunchtime and got my passport back Wednesday complete with visa. Can't get much better than that....

I thought they'd extended this ?

Hull have just charged me full whack for a single entry Visa (turn around time as efficient as ever) ... sending me back a form that says that the free period ended on 4th March 2010, which is also what the website for the Thai Embassy in London says.

EDIT: Just seen the other thread on this and I'm lucky enough to fall into the three week window when you have to pay for it. Dammit. It's free again from April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011 ... oh well ...

Edited by CaptainBluebeard