Tourist Visa Fee Exemption Begins Thursday March 5th.

Tourist visa exemption effective Thursday

BANGKOK, March 4 (TNA) - Tharit Charungvat, Director-General of the Department of Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Cabinet’s decision to exempt the need for a tourist visa for those traveling to Thailand would be in effect from this Thursday to June 4.

In regard to the Cabinet’s approval on January 20 as part of the economic stimulus package, the need for a tourist visa for all travellers would be waived for three months starting from March 5.

This included the waiving of a tourist visa on arrival and visitors having to apply for a visa to Thailand at Thai consulates and embassies worldwide.

Foreigners applying for a visa other than a tourist visa must still pay the regular rate.

BANGKOK, March 4 (TNA) - Tharit Charungvat, Director-General of the Department of Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Cabinet’s decision to exempt the need for a tourist visa for those traveling to Thailand would be in effect from this Thursday to June 4.

In regard to the Cabinet’s approval on January 20 as part of the economic stimulus package, the need for a tourist visa for all travellers would be waived for three months starting from March 5.

This included the waiving of a tourist visa on arrival and visitors having to apply for a visa to Thailand at Thai consulates and embassies worldwide.

Foreigners applying for a visa other than a tourist visa must still pay the regular rate.

As I understood it. You still need to apply in the normal way but there would be no fee.http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Free-Tourist...-4-t246136.html

As I understood it. You still need to apply in the normal way but there would be no fee.http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Free-Tourist...-4-t246136.html

This doesn't make any sense at all. No tourist visa required? Just stay until June without a visa?

Thai Ministery of Foreign Affairs press release: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/35.php?id=21943

Exemption of Visa Fee for Foreign Tourists from 5 March to 4 June 2009

March 4, 2009, 1:51 pm

According to the Cabinet Resolution dated 20 January 2009, all foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies, the Royal Thai Consulates-General and The Honorary Consulates worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 5 March to 4 June B.E. 2552 (2009). Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa only.

For travelers entering Thailand not for tourism purpose are required to obtain appropriate visa and pay for visa fee as usual.

Passport holders from 42 countries and countries which have concluded agreements on the exemption of visa requirements (for tourist visa exemption) with Thailand are still permitted to enter Thailand without visa requirements.

For more information please look at Consular Affairs

So yes, you still have to apply for one.

BANGKOK, March 4 (TNA) - Tharit Charungvat, Director-General of the Department of Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Cabinet's decision to exempt the need for a tourist visa for those traveling to Thailand would be in effect from this Thursday to June 4.

In regard to the Cabinet's approval on January 20 as part of the economic stimulus package, the need for a tourist visa for all travellers would be waived for three months starting from March 5.

This doesn't make any sense at all. No tourist visa required? Just stay until June without a visa?

Yes this needs clearing up from one of you guys in the know . Can i just leave thailand when my current tourist visa finishes turn around walk back in and recieve a free 3 month stamp without the hassle of applying to the consulate and waiting 24 hours etc etc .

Light Beer:

That's what I thought, too... and figured that perhaps this was how they decided to do things to avoid foreign consulates complaining about having to process visas without any remuneration (free visas) for their efforts. Simply waive the need for a tourist visa would accomplish that. Just stamp people in for 60 days when they arrive.

Tropo:

The program runs until June, not that you can stay until June if you arrive now. I would presume that when you enter Thailand, they stamp you in for the normal duration of a tourist visa... 60 days.

Edited by sriracha john

Yes this needs clearing up from one of you guys in the know . Can i just leave thailand when my current tourist visa finishes turn around walk back in and recieve a free 3 month stamp without the hassle of applying to the consulate and waiting 24 hours etc etc .

No, you can not.

Light Beer:

That's what I thought, too... and figured that perhaps this was how they decided to do things to avoid foreign consulates complaining about having to process visas without any remuneration (free visas) for their efforts. Simply waive the need for a tourist visa would accomplish that. Just stamp people in for 60 days when they arrive.

Tropo:

The program runs until June, not that you can stay until June if you arrive now. I would presume that when you enter Thailand, they stamp you in for the normal duration of a tourist visa... 60 days.

See my above post about MFA press release. You have to apply at an embassy/consulate.

that would be too hands on, so very sure that is NOT how they are going to manage it.

from what they write it will stay as it is, except you don't have to pay the fee. that's all.

Thai Ministery of Foreign Affairs press release: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/35.php?id=21943

Exemption of Visa Fee for Foreign Tourists from 5 March to 4 June 2009

March 4, 2009, 1:51 pm

According to the Cabinet Resolution dated 20 January 2009, all foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies, the Royal Thai Consulates-General and The Honorary Consulates worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 5 March to 4 June B.E. 2552 (2009). Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa only.

For travelers entering Thailand not for tourism purpose are required to obtain appropriate visa and pay for visa fee as usual.

Passport holders from 42 countries and countries which have concluded agreements on the exemption of visa requirements (for tourist visa exemption) with Thailand are still permitted to enter Thailand without visa requirements.

For more information please look at Consular Affairs

So yes, you still have to apply for one.

Thanks for that additional clarification (sorry consulates, I was trying to explain your guys' predicament)... :o

In light of that, could we please modify the thread title:

Tourist Visa Fee Exemption Begins Today

thank you.

Light Beer:

Tropo:

See my above post about MFA press release. You have to apply at an embassy/consulate.

yep... simultaneous posting can be a bear (no pun intended).... see my other post above.

Thanks for that additional clarification (sorry consulates, I was trying to explain your guys' predicament)... :D

thank you.

Changed :o

Cosulair Affairs department put it more clearly as this:

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 5 March to 4 june B.E. 2552(2009). (The fee exemption is not extended to other types of visas, i.e. Non – Immigrant visa and Transit visa.)

http://www.consular.go.th/

wonder if that is still a good headline tomorrow :D

Lordy... :o you do you have a point...

but I'm afraid to ask the moderators for yet another change... after all, they all will be doing the extra work without remuneration, just like the poor consulates will have to.... BUT...if they are so inclined:

Tourist Visa Fee Exemption Begins March 5

Edited by sriracha john

wonder if that is still a good headline tomorrow :D

Lordy... :D you do you have a point...

but I'm afraid to ask the moderators for yet another change... after all, they all will be doing the extra work without remuneration, just like the poor consulates will have to.... BUT...if they are so inclined:

Tourist Visa Fee Exemption Begins March 5

I will change it tommorrow. :o

In a previous post about this fee waiver it was mentioned that it only applies to a single entry tourist visa. Has this changed? Perhaps they'll issue a single entry tourist visa free but charge full fee for a double or triple entry.

In a previous post about this fee waiver it was mentioned that it only applies to a single entry tourist visa. Has this changed? Perhaps they'll issue a single entry tourist visa free but charge full fee for a double or triple entry.

That is still the question. The press releases don't answer it, so we have to look on some websites from embassies telling us more or reports from people who applied for a double tourist visa. Hopefully we will know more soon.

If you are a member of a nation that gets a visa exemption (ie canada, USA...) can you apply for a tourist visa when you arrive at the airport say in BKK? Or do I still have to apply for a tourist visa outside of Thailand?

Thanks.