How Many Farang Here Live In A 'farang House'

chiangmaibruce

Farang accommodation in Thailand (only for those who spend all or much of the year here)  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of the great myths in the land of Thais is that all farang are wealthy and lead different and far more glamorous lives than the locals. This also extends to our choice of abode.

If you are like me, you will be driving along a country lane with the Mrs beside you (YOUR Mrs, I trust). Suddenly she will exclaim "Look, a farang house". You nod appreciatively whilst making admiring noises. Another 200 metres and "also farang house" etc. These are the big suckers with tall fences, manicured lawns, BMW and Volvo in driveway. Not a piece of rubbish, scabby dog, or chook in sight. Get the picture?

Now I have to confess that we don't live in a farang house, we live in a ramshackle little wooden cottage. I feel weak, like a traitor to the cause. Given my own personal circumstances though, even if I had the Baht here burning a hole in my pocket, that sort of investment in Thai property just does not make sense.

Well there are umpteen thousands of farang living here, but I don't notice quite that many 'farang houses', so I reckon there must be a few others out there who aren't pulling their weight (?)

I thought that with the benefit of powerful evidence from a renowned Thaivisa survey, I might just be able to mount a convincing case to any Thai that will listen that many (if not most) farang forego the joys of living in farang houses.

Yes, I know the dividing line between 'farang house' and 'normal house' can be hazy but give it your best guess and let's see what the figures tell us, ok?

Your votes and your thoughts please ladies and gentlemen

Edited by chiangmaibruce

One of the great myths in the land of Thais is that all farang are wealthy and lead different and far more glamorous lives than the locals. This also extends to our choice of abode.

If you are like me, you will be driving along a country lane with the Mrs beside you (YOUR Mrs, I trust). Suddenly she will exclaim "Look, a farang house". You nod appreciatively whilst making admiring noises. Another 200 metres and "also farang house" etc. These are the big suckers with tall fences, manicured lawns, BMW and Volvo in driveway. Not a piece of rubbish, scabby dog, or chook in sight. Get the picture?

Now I have to confess that we don't live in a farang house, we live in a ramshackle little wooden cottage. I feel weak, like a traitor to the cause. Given my own personal circumstances though, even if I had the Baht here burning a hole in my pocket, that sort of investment in Thai property just does not make sense.

Well there are umpteen thousands of farang living here, but I don't notice quite that many 'farang houses', so I reckon there must be a few others out there who aren't pulling their weight (?)

I thought that with the benefit of powerful evidence from a renowned Thaivisa survey, I might just be able to mount a convincing case to any Thai that will listen that many (if not most) farang forego the joys of living in farang houses.

Yes, I know the dividing line between 'farang house' and 'normal house' can be hazy but give it your best guess and let's see what the figures tell us, ok?

A normal Thai house,same as the neighborhood,bungalow style,a little garden.

The neighbors,Thai and Farang,are what I suppose could be called middle-class,teachers,small business owner,government employees.

The land,and the house,are,of course,in my wife name.

The only thing we changed were the sanitary,no Thai style plumbing for me,and we have a real kitchen.With this improvements,and air-con in the living,sleeping rooms,I'm completely satisfied. :o

I think it really also depends on where you live, nice Bangkok houses might be classed as smaller places up Country and not quiet so glamorous. I built my house in Isaan some photos of which are on this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Home-Builder...an-t232441.html because I needed somewhere more comfortable than where I was living previously as I was going to be spending more time in Thailand. Its not a big place but makes my stay here a lot more enjoyable as I have all the things around me that I am used to in my home Country like hot water, ac and a good kitchen.

I can totally relate to your story of "Look, a falang house" as this used to happen to me all the time before we built ours and just to make you feel a bit better it still does!

Edited by InSiSongkram

'farang house' and 'normal house'

Sorry no idea what is the difference??

My house is the same as the other 63 detached houses in this village, at least on the outside, some are 3 bedrooms others are 4, all have 3 bathrooms, I have 3 bedrooms so the master bedroom is very large.. OK while it was being built 5 years ago I had my own flooring, and bathrooms tiles with the tiles I wanted. I built the kitchen myself so it is European style 8m x 4m, have a 2.3m Sat dish but this is at the back so cannot been seen from the front..

I do not use air con, so all my windows are wide open from 6am till 10 pm, so is this a farang house or a Thai house?

OK I have a Audi in the carport and a D-Max in the drive.

Having lived in South of France and Portugal for years, I prefer Tiled floors and painted walls, I repaint every 18 months, and always loved Vivid colours.. Will finish the walls in the kitchen tomorrow, there now washable Signal Red, very bright and looks good with the granite work tops and black units, all the doors I painted last year and with a 3cm red edge all round so now matches in with the walls

Edited by ignis

I built the kitchen myself so it is European style 8m x 4m, have a 2.3m Sat dish but this is at the back so cannot been seen from the front..

Really? Or is that 'oversaw the building of... by local labour" :o

Without including the cost of the BMW and Volvo that you mentioned, how much to you suppose homes matching your description cost? Are you talking about housing more luxurious that a typical suburban house in the West?

Edited by OriginalPoster

Without including the cost of the BMW and Volvo that you mentioned, how much to you suppose homes matching your description cost? Are you talking about housing more luxurious that a typical suburban house in the West?

Ooh, hard to say. Obviously land value, and to a lesser extent construction cost, would vary significantly depending on location alone within Thailand. The cost and appearance of "typical suburban house in the west" would also vary a lot with suburb, city etc.

So let's perhaps put it another way (and feel free to chip in if you can suggest something better):

Let's say you hop in your car (here in Thailand) and drive 1 km in any and every direction away from your house. Look at the other houses you pass. Now come back home and tell me if you would rate your house in the top 10% of the others you saw. If yes, then I think you probably have yourself a 'farang house'.

If Thais walk past and you here them say "baan farang" then this would confirm it.

Ooh, hard to say. Obviously land value, and to a lesser extent construction cost, would vary significantly depending on location alone within Thailand. The cost and appearance of "typical suburban house in the west" would also vary a lot with suburb, city etc.

So let's perhaps put it another way (and feel free to chip in if you can suggest something better):

Let's say you hop in your car (here in Thailand) and drive 1 km in any and every direction away from your house. Look at the other houses you pass. Now come back home and tell me if you would rate your house in the top 10% of the others you saw. If yes, then I think you probably have yourself a 'farang house'.

If Thais walk past and you here them say "baan farang" then this would confirm it.

Can't answer on that basis because I don't presently live in Thailand. The idea of building a "farang house" in Thailand has occurred to me though, so I was wondering how much it would cost to build a place such as you describe.

Not so sure about your 10% experiment shedding any light though; probably at least 90% of frarangs have a net worth in the top 10 percentile amongst people living in Thailand, so I'd rather expect that most live in housing above the Thai norm.

Edited by OriginalPoster

A regular house like normal Thais live in - Owned

I have a neighbor Farang that thinks he lives in a Farang house. The dividing line runs between his ears.

:o

Illegally owned or in your wife's name?

Or are you one of these clowns that believes he legally owns the house while leasing the land?

I built the kitchen myself so it is European style 8m x 4m, have a 2.3m Sat dish but this is at the back so cannot been seen from the front..

Really? Or is that 'oversaw the building of... by local labour" :o

No I built it all myself, would take to long trying to explain and then they still get it wrong.......

I have 4 dogs so not easy to have local workman come + I did get 3 estimates, I build it for far less and how I want it 1st time.

Can't answer on that basis because I don't presently live in Thailand. The idea of building a "farang house" in Thailand has occurred to me though, so I was wondering how much it would cost to build a place such as you describe.

Not so sure about your 10% experiment shedding any light though; probably at least 90% of frarangs have a net worth in the top 10 percentile amongst people living in Thailand, so I'd rather expect that most live in housing above the Thai norm.

OK thanks, couple of points there:

1. Most farang have a higher net worth sure, but this doesn;t necessarily translate into them spending the bucks here on real estate (by preference or for any/all the reasons written about in TV)

2. They probably mainly do "live in housing above the Thai norm", but this doesn't necessarily translate into a place that people drive past saying "oooh, farang house"

Not sure it's worthwhile, but for those who want to really pin down a tight definition of 'farang house' you might start here, a discussion about what constitutes a luxury home in the USA context

http://activerain.com/blogsview/435477/Define-a-Luxury-Home

Read what "Sharon" from Florida said:

"It's not always about price range - you can have a $2 Million property with a house that's a tear-down or kick-down. It's not always about neighborhood - you can be in an exclusive neighborhood in a 50s home with pink appliances and shag carpet that definitely isn't luxury. So, those who define luxury as the top 10% of the market by price range or 3 times the average price home have to also have the caveat that it must be a luxury lifestyle. Yes, it's in the eyes of the beholder, but there is a certain quality and certain amenities that are required for a luxury home."

post-21996-1236423383_thumb.jpg

Lived here for a year prior to moving the family to Chiangmai, was satisfied and happy...... aside from the roosters at all hours of the night.

After 9 years and a growing family, we are just completing a new house back in Issan, a "Falang" house. Don't know if I will be happy, only time will tell but so far the wife & kids are happy and I guess that is what counts. Will still live in Chiangmai but now the family has a place when we return to Issan while the kids are on vacation.post-21996-1236423436_thumb.jpg

post-21996-1236423458_thumb.jpg

Yes, building my own pond so the wife can fish, next is the Khlong for security purposes (If a thief can swim with a TV on his back, he can have it, no problem!).

The only stipulation I had was, a sit down toilet, and a hot water shower. Comparing the layout of the house, and how it looks from the outside it looks Thai. I refused to have a toilet/shower trough for the mozzies

I think about 4-6 million baht will get you a farang house here in Chiang Mai. Thats my own opinion - im sure others may disagree.

There are plenty of thais living in them as well. To me they are the Thai equivalent to the mcmansions sprawled across the US. I do not live here full-time, but if I did im not sure I would opt for one. You can get into a safe gated community with the pool going this route though. But i gotta think your missing a big part as well. As for right now im completly happy living with and like my thai neigbors in an old neighborhood. Im used to barking dogs, roosters crowing at 5am and no AC. Well im still trying to adapt to the no AC! I enjoy plenty living this way as well. And I do feel safe.

Edited by kenai

post-21996-1236423383_thumb.jpg

Lived here for a year prior to moving the family to Chiangmai, was satisfied and happy...... aside from the roosters at all hours of the night.

After 9 years and a growing family, we are just completing a new house back in Issan, a "Falang" house. Don't know if I will be happy, only time will tell but so far the wife & kids are happy and I guess that is what counts. Will still live in Chiangmai but now the family has a place when we return to Issan while the kids are on vacation.post-21996-1236423436_thumb.jpg

post-21996-1236423458_thumb.jpg

Yes, building my own pond so the wife can fish, next is the Khlong for security purposes (If a thief can swim with a TV on his back, he can have it, no problem!).

nice looking house......

I live in a small village, a "farang" house we built 2 years ago.

I counted 5 of these in a radius of 5kms around our place, all "occupied" by farangs.

And yes, when we drive around I often hear the "look a farang house"

Also the last week marriage in one of the surrounding villages: "sin sod was xxx.xxx" To which I reply "An other woman sold by her parents"

That gets me the dirty look, this is to compensate for the "look farang house" :o

Edited by tartempion

Kinda hard to quantify.. But I know what you mean by 'farang house'.. But funny enough most of the big houses near me that fit the description are owned by wealthy Thais.. They have a BMW/Merc in front along with gardeners, maid etc..

My own place is just a medium sized 2 storey town house... The same as my Thai/farang neighbors.. However although it looks pretty much the same the devil is in the details.. Exterior has been prepared/primed/painted with oil based paint.. 8 yrs still no mold and not peeling. Paint just needs to be jet washed once/twice a year to keep it pristine. The nasty mild steel fence/gate has been replaced by stainless so is maintenance free.. Shoddy ally windows replaced with UPVC laminated glass units. Loft has been insulated and roof foam sealed. Solar water heater on the roof and there is hot water throughout the house. Place has been re-wired to UK standard with ELCB and a good earth.. Outlets are UK/Singapore style. There is a Western style kitchen with an oven and all the worktops/counters/light switches are at 'Western' height.. So although my house is really no different to my Thai friends it was renovated to be more suitable for me... After 10 years or more of living in 'Asian' style houses I just wanted a place where everything works and mirrors, tables, chairs, counters etc were more suitable for someone of 190cm ... I bought the house very cheap as it was a 'fixer-upper' so even with all the improvements I'd still get my money back if I sold it.. Better still after 8yrs of living in it I'd say it is 'free' living now as what I have spent is about same as if I had rented for the same period of time..

A normal Thai house,same as the neighborhood,bungalow style,a little garden.

The neighbors,Thai and Farang,are what I suppose could be called middle-class,teachers,small business owner,government employees.

The land,and the house,are,of course,in my wife name.

The only thing we changed were the sanitary,no Thai style plumbing for me,and we have a real kitchen.With this improvements,and air-con in the living,sleeping rooms,I'm completely satisfied. :o

I would agree about certain things if one was comparing old wooden Thai houses with the bricks and morter ones being built now, which are mainly occupied by Thais and falangs alike, perhaps the biggest difference is the size of the plot the house stands on, Thais often have a small plot and build the biggest house they can which frequently goes to the boundaries but these new houses tend to differ in there internal fittings and fixtures i.e A.C hot water when owned by a westerne, I live on one such village/estate and I am the only falang here, my garden is neat and tidy {no rubbish around} but why live in a s--- hole when you have spent a large amount of money, we do have 5dogs, 4hens, 3bantams, an aviary with foriegn finches etc, an 8,000 gallon pond with about 60 koi carp all of which are my hobbies, all the houses are 3years old at least half of them have never been tended from day one, I cannot say that I have ever heard villagers say, "thats a falang house" other than in the context of telling the companion thats the falangs house as a lot of the kids play in our garden with my 8 yr old daughter, but I somehow get the feeling from some posts that it may be a case of "my house is bigger than your house" but then I maybe wrong. :D

I live in a farang house, manicured lawn, large trees, aircons, US style kitchen & baths, big bedroom with master bath & walkin closet including a laundry room with a dryer. And all the tile matches, all through the house, inside & out. Amazing what a little forethought will accomplish.

No Mercedes, BMW or Volvo, just a D-max in the carport. Oh, I forgot to mention it is on the Mekong River. It would be nothing special (except for being on the river) in the US, but here I the locals think it's a mansion even though there are much larger & fancier homes, owned by Thais, in Muk.

The house is in a village and every time someone dies or gets married, there is a constant gawking parade of their relatives around our house for about 3 days. Thai's don't seem to mind starring for hours on end. I don't get it, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but it's for sale. You can see the add in the classified section. Here's the link or search homes for sale & click Mukdahan

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estat...-rai-18347.html

post-46376-1236485084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tagaa

Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but it's for sale. You can see the add in the classified section.

Ah yes, I'll give that one a tick (as being a 'farang house')

And as I thoughtfully provided the vehicle for your shameless self-promotion, I'll have my people contact your people to discuss suitable commission arrangements.

Good luck with the sale :o

I live in a farang apartment building. It looks different than any other apartment building in the city and looks like a building you would see in the U.S. Although the owner is Thai, he lived in the U.S. for 14 years (where he went to university) and returned with a wife (who moved to the U.S. from Thailand when she was a child and now has to do 90-day reporting :o ) to build the apartment.

The apartment building has beautiful landscaping which they actually meticulously maintain, ADSL in all units, smoke detectors and a fire suppression system. It has a large parking lot and stained wooden balcony railings. The residents are a mix of falang teachers and young Thai engineers. The parking lot is filled every night with fairly new cars. I was the first resident in the building, which opened a little over a year ago, and now there is a 4-month waiting list to get an apartment. It's not the cheapest apartment in the city, but it's within the low range. Some apartments go for three times the rental rate being asked.

I live in a farang house, manicured lawn, large trees, aircons, US style kitchen & baths, big bedroom with master bath & walkin closet including a laundry room with a dryer. And all the tile matches, all through the house, inside & out. Amazing what a little forethought will accomplish.

No Mercedes, BMW or Volvo, just a D-max in the carport. Oh, I forgot to mention it is on the Mekong River. It would be nothing special (except for being on the river) in the US, but here I the locals think it's a mansion even though there are much larger & fancier homes, owned by Thais, in Muk.

The house is in a village and every time someone dies or gets married, there is a constant gawking parade of their relatives around our house for about 3 days. Thai's don't seem to mind starring for hours on end. I don't get it, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but it's for sale. You can see the add in the classified section. Here's the link or search homes for sale & click Mukdahan

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estat...-rai-18347.html

It looks nice,but i wouldnt feel like i lived in Thialand,too clinical and suburbia,and i left my huge house to be here in Thailand

The only stipulation I had was, a sit down toilet, and a hot water shower. Comparing the layout of the house, and how it looks from the outside it looks Thai. I refused to have a toilet/shower trough for the mozzies

Fully agree but I have gone for three wire electrical system too (live/neutral/EARTH).

we got three adjoining shop houses onna side street near the municipality in a small town in Suphan. We bought 2 already built and added a third. Thw wife has put a lot of effort into improvements and our set up looks to be nicer than any of our neighbors with similar structures.. I also got AC in our bedroom and my own western kitchen. This was all the wife's idea as I told her to find us a house and this is what she came up with although there was the option of buying a lot and building new. The wife always wanted to accommodate various members of her family (like MiL) into the arrangement. I get along well with the family so's everyone's happy.

btw the next door neighbor, who drives a refuse truck for the municipality has got a western style bungalow next to our property; blue roof tiles and all. Wotta monster :o .

Well the results thus far are quite interesting

1. In early polling the ratio of normal house dwellers was much higher (than for farang houses). Hasn't that changed? I am getting a sinking feeling about where this is heading :o

2. The ratio of owners versus renters is higher than I imagined. This ratio has been fairly constant since polling started, although for a while it was running at 25/75% renters/owners (now settled at 33/66%)

I think about having a well finished home, don't care about how big it is.. My wife never has been the one to start a conversation about having a farang house. In fact, when we see a house that is big and fancy she often mentions a greedy police man or politician and not a farang.

I really would like to have a small but well equipped and comfortable house. Having a soft sofa, ac, equipped kitchen area, and soft bed would be nice but I can live with out. Plus I like only to invest money into something that gives a quickly established and constant revenue stream.