Som Tam Recipe Video

toasted

Hi. I'm going to teach my class of English schoolkids how to make som tam. There are plenty of good videos on the internet, but unfortunately I won't have a connection for this activity. However, I'll have my laptop, so I'm looking (so far without success) for a downloadable version. If you know of one, I'd appreciate a link.

Thank you. :o

you could get the right ingredients and add the right amounts,.......BUT the difference from doing a receipe from a book to actually it being made by an experience chef/cook could make all the difference..(believe me I've tried).....eg suppose one week the lime is not such a strong flavour, and the makam is slightly overipe!....meaning you might not need as much sugar ,wouldn't it?,......thats when chefs deserve thier praise!! (just warning you after the miserable failure I had with it!! :o

Edited by dee123

My wife's Thai and a fantastic cook. She'll be preparing the ingredients in the correct amounts so hopefully that will help. I just need a video to support some of the learners who will react better to a visual stimulus than a written recipe.

My wife's Thai and a fantastic cook. She'll be preparing the ingredients in the correct amounts so hopefully that will help. I just need a video to support some of the learners who will react better to a visual stimulus than a written recipe.

:o ic....yes I too leave the missus to the cooking!,....good luck with finding the right vdo though.I,d imagine there must be one available but I dont know where.

I have used an application called AresTube to download vids from Youtube etc. It's free and simple to use, then you can download and save vids from most websites in wmv format.

Just google 'arestube', you will need to download from a 3rd party but I never had a problem, just find one that you know, or research them first.

If you download RealPlayer 10 (freeview), it allows you to download videos you view, for example throughyoutube, as flv files which can be played through RealPlayer or an FLV player, giving you a massive choice of videos to save and play.

Download RealPlayer (basic, free one, not the superpass which you pay for), open the web browser in realplayer, go to the web page, hover over the video playing and the 'download this video' option will open in the top right corner.

Thanks to those who gave suggestions. The kids loved it - some asked for the written list of ingredients, while others ate a plateful. Most tried it but only had a little due to the spiciness. Some didn't want to try it although they enjoyed making it. One refused to go anywhere near the table claiming the smell was making him gag!

Basically, a lot of kids got to try something different - whether making it or eating it.

Thanks for the ideas.

• 1 month later...