Caught With Cannabis In Thailand

GreggyW

I too don't have much sympathy for dopers traveling through SE Asia...

Does that imply you have far more sympathy for the more common alcoholic lowlifes that populate these boards? I mean I am sorry, but a guy having a little toke while on vacation does not necessarily equate to a "doper" in my mind's eye. But then again, I have no sympathy for the hordes who married a Thai woman met in the bars, get married, and then the woman leaves the man high and dry several years later. I actually have more sympathy for this guy.

Compare what this foreigner is going through and may go through over this minor small amount pot offense vs. what a Thai person would be going through in the case of arrest for the same offense. Yes, I have sympathy. The silver lining I can think of is that enough people will read this and realize if they didn't already know: DO NOT RISK IT. This ain't Kansas anymore, Dorothy. I think many young people are confused about what is the REAL Thailand. They hear about Full Moon Party and have heard about what goes on in treks, they see the commercial sex that is not criminalized, and may get the false impression that this is some kind of hedonistic no rules free for all. Amsterdam of the tropics, its not.

Edited by Jingthing

Make sure you dress well for the court case. But a good suit. Cut your hair, shave and look absolutely terrified.,

Yeah don't wear one of those Cannabis t-shirts to court or walk around with ur bong hanging out of ur brief case :o

Make sure you dress well for the court case. But a good suit. Cut your hair, shave and look absolutely terrified.,

Yeah don't wear one of those Cannabis t-shirts to court or walk around with ur bong hanging out of ur brief case :o

Actually the OP should even avoid wearing any kind of cloth made from hemp.

I too don't have much sympathy for dopers traveling through SE Asia...

Does that imply you have far more sympathy for the more common alcoholic lowlifes that populate these boards? I mean I am sorry, but a guy having a little toke while on vacation does not necessarily equate to a "doper" in my mind's eye. But then again, I have no sympathy for the hordes who married a Thai woman met in the bars, get married, and then the woman leaves the man high and dry several years later. I actually have more sympathy for this guy.

I resent that post. Alcoholism is a disease and I have as much compassion for an alcoholic as I have for someone with schizophrenia, AIDS, or cancer.

Hi All,

Thanks again for the replies. I think the more I think about it ther more I hope I'll be okay. I'm going to ring the lawyer again today & see what the story is.

Regarding my username, it isn't related to my real name so worry not.

Also, the solicitor assured me that my passport would be in the court on the day ready for me to collect after i pay the fine.

The only long trousers I have are jeans & the only other footwear I have are runners. I haver a couple of long sleeved collared shirts. Do you think I should go and buy a suit? Or will jeans be okay with runners? I'll ask the lawyer about this too...

weed is a big money maker for the visiting police on koh phangan. in this day and age where even the US is easing up on the anti-marijuana legislation it is ridiculous that thailand still sticks to these antiquated laws which affect mostly tourists, and it's hypocritical too as so many thais smoke (a huge percent on koh phangan) openly. but, it's the risk you take travelling here (to me it's not worth it to smoke). good luck with your case OP, hope you get off with a smaller fine. i am surprised they wouldn't take your payoff on the spot but they must figure they can get more out of dragging you to court. and for others who read this- do not carry or smoke weed outside of your room on the islands, especially around the moon parties, where the police lie in wait just for cash cows like you.

I'm with girlx here, i am surprised they did not take your cash on the spot. i would be most concerned that i would even need to face a judge.

any experience i have had of this has been an immediat turn around, you pay, you walk. thankfully it has never been me personally.

weed is a big money maker for the visiting police on koh phangan. in this day and age where even the US is easing up on the anti-marijuana legislation it is ridiculous that thailand still sticks to these antiquated laws which affect mostly tourists, and it's hypocritical too as so many thais smoke (a huge percent on koh phangan) openly. but, it's the risk you take travelling here (to me it's not worth it to smoke). good luck with your case OP, hope you get off with a smaller fine. i am surprised they wouldn't take your payoff on the spot but they must figure they can get more out of dragging you to court. and for others who read this- do not carry or smoke weed outside of your room on the islands, especially around the moon parties, where the police lie in wait just for cash cows like you.

Yeah but 5000 baht for simple possession of cannabis isn't that stiff of a penalty. In most US states I think the penalty is higher.

I'm a little hedonist myself, but always within the frame work of the law.

But the OP commit the crime, so he should take the beating.

And Frankly I'm fed up with all the lame excuses to defend dopers, alcoholics, sex offenders and others.

So no sympathy what so ever with the OP.

A good punishment would be deportation and a long-life ban to ever to set foot again in Thailand.

Cannabis is now class B in the UK now. This means even if you are caught with a snot of dope you are arrested. No warnings anymore. However, I believe it is still at the Officers discression, so you may get a smack on the wrist if the Officer is having a merry day.

But like they say "Do the crime, be prepared to do the time."

A good punishment would be deportation and a long-life ban to ever to set foot again in Thailand.
No judicial caning ? You are far too lenient !

Could you please tell me why smoking weed should be illegal ?

Who was he harming while smoking ?

If one day breathing was deemed illegal, would you stop breathing ?

Greetings all.

2 nights ago I was caught rolling a cannabis joint outside my bungalow by two police officers. i was promptly handcuffed & brought to the local station. i had no other cannabis, just enough for a joint. there was a girl sitting at the table near me who had her own bag with enough for 2/3 joints. I asked them was there any on the spot fine I could pay but they said no. At the station was a solicitor who guaranteed that for 60,000 Baht she could get me off in court next week with just having to pay a 5,000 Baht fine.

Is this likely? I have paid her the 60,000 Baht and am just waiting for her to tell me what day i have to be in court next week

Thanks

Whatever sentence is passed; I fear it will be insufficient. I hope you learn your lesson, if not, next time you choose to engage in such activities, please do so somewhere like Singapore, Malaysia, The UAE - they know how to teach you a lesson you'll never forget. :o

Greetings all.

2 nights ago I was caught rolling a cannabis joint outside my bungalow by two police officers. i was promptly handcuffed & brought to the local station. i had no other cannabis, just enough for a joint. there was a girl sitting at the table near me who had her own bag with enough for 2/3 joints. I asked them was there any on the spot fine I could pay but they said no. At the station was a solicitor who guaranteed that for 60,000 Baht she could get me off in court next week with just having to pay a 5,000 Baht fine.

Is this likely? I have paid her the 60,000 Baht and am just waiting for her to tell me what day i have to be in court next week

Thanks

Whatever sentence is passed; I fear it will be insufficient. I hope you learn your lesson, if not, next time you choose to engage in such activities, please do so somewhere like Singapore, Malaysia, The UAE - they know how to teach you a lesson you'll never forget. :o

Had I not been drinking then I might come up with a better response.

But I have been drinking and so I can only draw attention to the ingnorance of your post and then suggest that you pissoff.

And is you where wondering, not I am not a 'toker' myself although I used to be.

Caught out in the street. 60k to the solicitor. Now hoping for a 5k fine. That is one hel_l of an expensive joint!!

Sympathies. I hope all goes well on the day.

I smoke in the UK but not here. Have a nice lump in the house in plain view. It is a very good painkiller.

And for the 'Hang 'em high' brigade, I hope you never do anything illegal. Never fiddle your tax or drink a little over the limit or break any other law and if you do, I hope they hang you out to dry for it.

The only long trousers I have are jeans & the only other footwear I have are runners. I haver a couple of long sleeved collared shirts. Do you think I should go and buy a suit? Or will jeans be okay with runners? I'll ask the lawyer about this too...

CB has already given the answer. Show respect to the judge. Jeans and runners are not a good choice whatever your lawyer says. You've made a big mistake, it's a first and you're guilty, so...

Hope you've realised your situation, you don't sound like you have.

Good luck

Greetings all.

Thanks

So, what's the reason for your vehement anti-cannabis zeal? With your statement above, you come off sounding more like a judgemental person who is savouring someone else's misfortune.

Greetings all.

Thanks

So, what's the reason for your vehement anti-cannabis zeal? With your statement above, you come off sounding more like a judgemental person who is savouring someone else's misfortune.

The perfect neighbor. Always equipped with his camera in case something's wrong.

And Frankly I'm fed up with all the lame excuses to defend dopers, alcoholics, sex offenders and others.

who pissed you off dude?

what a offensive post, how can you compare someone that smokes a little weed on vacation to a sex offender, sounds to me like you could use some smoke to chill out man...

Good Luck To You Gregg

Edited by Rainmon

what a offensive post, how can you compare someone that smokes a little weed on vacation to a sex offender

Agreed. Actually Henry's post amounts to slander and isn't slander a crime?