My Catfish Farm Operation

This thread is here already since 2009. I just discovered it..

Ouch!

I have a pretty decent computer but page 1 raises all red flags here.

Would like to enjoy it, perhaps changing the direct youtube links into hotlinks will allow me and others to access the first page?

Dancealot ... the problem maybe at your end as they play A-OK for me ... both inside the first thread and when you click the YouTube hyper-link and they reopen in a new window.

RedBullHorn ... couple of things.

I have this recent thread about Fish Farm Aerators and would warmly appreciate your valued input and Videos there. fish-farming-paddle-wheel-aerators Would you post them there?

If your time is limited, but like the idea, would you like me to place them on that thread with acknowledgement to you?

If, however, you wish to keep your media in one central place I fully understand.

Let me know please.

I will be pleased... you can use all my material where you see fits. smile.png

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

"The smallest size of 9/10 and smallest will pass throught the 2nd rack and settle on the bed of the box while made of stainless/anti-rust metal sheet and out the left outlet which doesn't have a door panel to block the exit and fall into the waiting basket."

The pull panel for the bottom exit is being kept away because the amount of fishes for this sizes is way too little. It would incurs heavy losses to harvest fishes of this sizes. smile.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

Bob, I don't where to buy them but i know who you can ask - Pooyai Ban or the villager incharge of temple affair. (Kae Wat).

This tentage is 8m x 4m, cost more than ฿10'000++ . the PVC cover is of quality ฿7'000+, metal tubes structure i estimated around ฿3'000+ and workmanship would be around ฿2-฿3000.

If you buy than ready made and depending on the quality of the PVC cover... I'd say around ฿15-฿16'000.

The one in the photo belongs to the temple...I rented it for 10 days.

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

another one of my dumb question. Pla Duk Thai size can you put Pla Duk fry in with them or will they be eaten by the big ones. Got a buyer who want six kilos day. At the Thai size that is fair number of fish for a small pond.

The plan right now is to put them in a small holding tank to get some growth then introduce them to the other pond. I have to say I'm not sure about this at all.

Best not to put them together and yes the bigger one will eat the fingerlings... Solution - feed the bigger size fishes before releasing the fingerlings. After a period the bigger size fishes with accustom to the rest and feed together but the fingerlings will still be threatened by the bigger size fishes' present.

Thanks I have a small cement holding pond, so I think I will start them there, move them when they get to a bigger size, by then I think the current fish will be gone in sales.

The Thai family is really excited by all this, that is unusual. But, of course then look at gross not a net. Food is major cost, I have also heard that you can feed them corn kernals after they have been soaked for three or four days.

So far I can't locate a corn processing plant in the Udon area. So I'm planting corn now to give this a good shot.Out 2500 baht in costs so far I have netted about 50 baht. So their sales commissions are higher then that. That's not all bad, if it keeps them excited about what they are doing.

anyway I will give it a year to try to turn things around. I have already added a nigh light to attract insects. The other option is to go 16.5% food which is less expensive. We sale about six kilos a deal so not going make us or break us.

Anyone know of Corn processing plant within 100 klms of Udon?

We have both Pla Nin and Pla Duk on a small basis. I real income comes from mushrooms.

Thanks Redbull

Remember this ? On Farm Photo page 19 #460.

post-42398-0-83327500-1374746717_thumb.p

( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612480-farm-photos/page-19#entry6306580 )

Here's the harvest. Video clip from Part 1 - 5

Forcast was 18 tonnes, i got 18'956 kg !!! laugh.png

The vid show 8 tonnes of fishes in the seining net.

Hope you all will enjoy the show.

ray23 The income i made from catfishes are not fake either, if you are willing to come out with money you will make money. No short cut about it. Forget all the corn and other BS, just put in your REAL money and feed them REAL food of "high protein" feed pellets of a high quality superior grade. wink.png

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_3HGSiY7E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUHF6ViBaVgHcfS0QIx5O48g

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1UnlEP5edA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUHF6ViBaVgHcfS0QIx5O48g

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiW6KzH-JYc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUHF6ViBaVgHcfS0QIx5O48g

Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRK9z3Z7W8s&feature=c4-overview&list=UUHF6ViBaVgHcfS0QIx5O48g

Part 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06M00Czqr8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUHF6ViBaVgHcfS0QIx5O48g

Edited by RedBullHorn

Before you consider upgrading your pond size by all means or doing rental, please review what you're doing/have done to farm your fishes. I consider your protein percentage for catfishes feed is way too low, if you're considering using 16.5% protein level for pla duk, it would take you 6 months to harvest. Might as well use pig feed of 14# protein level... laugh.png

You need to get things right before moving your plan up a notch.

Thanks RDB using 25% for pla duk is that about right?

Is that sufficient for Pla Mor?

You right even tough I have been at this for awhile. my level of knowledge is still to low to get into big numbers. I think I will stay small a bit longer till I have better knowledge.

Found one way to cut food costs today, sent my Thai brother in law, he got for 70 baht a bag less a bagclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by ray23

Dear ray23,

Forget Pla Duk... Don't dream of Pla Duk, You won't get rich with Pla Duk, Just play play with Pla Duk, Stick to Pla Room...

I mean Mushroom, Stick to Mushroom, REAL money is Mushduk... I mean Mushroom.

God ! Now I'm confused too laugh.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

Very interesting stuff - even for a non fish farmer like me - couple things have tweaked my curiosity meter;

1) anyone have an opinion on why concrete vs earth ponds should produce a difference in growth rate?

2) with regard aeration, interesting method to use a paddle wheel or similar, just wondering if a forced air bubbling system (at its most basic hose with holes in it and pump to force air through it) is ruled out due to potential silting / clogging issues

Dear ray23,

Forget Pla Duk... Don't dream of Pla Duk, You won't get rich with Pla Duk, Just play play with Pla Duk, Stick to Pla Room...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Now that is a factthumbsup.gif

The Pla rooms we netted 20 K for last year and slowly built to 14,000, the goal for this year is a 100 K net. That would be a nice supplement to my wife's income. We still sale everything within 3 Klms of the farm. Our market is primarily a small village area. We haven't ventured in Udon yet, That is where everyone else goes. So I'm not stepping on any Thai toes.

Pla Mor should be interesting never done that before, they will be in above ground tanks I'm planning to pump oxygen at this point..

Maybe I better stick to the fish as a hobby.

To answer the other Gentleman's have used forced air for two years no clogging issues. What I did was drill hose in a pvc pipe capped off the end and then connected it to hose. You have to weight it down or it will just float on the top

Edited by ray23

Very interesting stuff - even for a non fish farmer like me - couple things have tweaked my curiosity meter;

1) anyone have an opinion on why concrete vs earth ponds should produce a difference in growth rate?

2) with regard aeration, interesting method to use a paddle wheel or similar, just wondering if a forced air bubbling system (at its most basic hose with holes in it and pump to force air through it) is ruled out due to potential silting / clogging issues

Concrete tank is not their natural habitat and nobody will put soil in it. Earthen pond's bed have the ability to store heat during the day and release during the night. (in Cold season)

Edited by RedBullHorn

Reviewed the videos, WOW! that is a serious operation. Water was beautiful are you close to a river?

Were those guys all workers at dinner?

What was the machine you put the fish into from the baskets and what is it for?

I could put a lot plarooms in a area like that if I only had place to sale them. I think Udon is a bit to far for a Bangkok, buyer.

Thanks I enjoyed the video I'm now working on if I can put pla mor and pla duk together. My guess is I can't. Bit, I really don't know yet

Dear ray23,

On the contrary, RBH. You see things quite clear.thumbsup.gif, please continue. I am intruigued with your methods.

• Like 1

What was the machine you put the fish into from the baskets and what is it for?

His machine to seperate to sizes is a custom made device he has also posted here somewhere. Very inventive.

Cool