My Catfish Farm Operation

Cheers RBH, wife has been doing a 70% change every 3-4 days and puts in a few handfulls of salt. It is a good point mellow and has been at the back of my mind too, haven't scrubbed the Schmutzedecke either it's a sort of emerald green rather than the light green of algae. The reason we did a 100% change is that we were without water for 4 days, the pumping station broke down.

Edited by aitch52

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Cheers RBH, wife has been doing a 70% change every 3-4 days and puts in a few handfulls of salt. It is a good point mellow and has been at the back of my mind too, haven't scrubbed the Schmutzedecke either it's a sort of emerald green rather than the light green of algae. The reason we did a 100% change is that we were without water for 4 days, the pumping station broke down.

Those are some pretty good water changes, how did you decide on that amount? Where your fish ready for Sonkran? Are the sales going alright for you?

• 9 months later...

Finally cleared out all my ponds, my first harvest since nearly 8 months of drought last year.

This are my result :

Period : 1/9/2010 - 23/1/2011

100'000 Big Oui catfishes

Farmgate price : ฿40/kg

Total feed : 1346 sacks (Betagro's Omeg)

Total supplement cost : ฿3'000

Total variable cost : ฿3'600

Total weight : 21 Ton :shock1: :shock1: :shock1:...

That is correct~ 21 Ton :lol:

post-42398-0-94246500-1296889143_thumb.jpost-42398-0-90620500-1296889105_thumb.jpost-42398-0-76288400-1296889078_thumb.j

post-42398-0-10422500-1296889007_thumb.jpost-42398-0-86280200-1296888982_thumb.jpost-42398-0-10486100-1296888954_thumb.j

post-42398-0-86512500-1296888922_thumb.j

• Like 1

Finally cleared out all my ponds, my first harvest since nearly 8 months of drought last year.

This are my result :

RBH,

As always I marvel at your success. With Chinese New Year in the air, I suggest plenty of red and gold flags, balloons, sky rockets or whatever to keep your good business results happening. Obviously in your case it has very little to do with LUCK.

Isaan Aussie

This are my result :

RBH,

As always I marvel at your success. With Chinese New Year in the air, I suggest plenty of red and gold flags, balloons, sky rockets or whatever to keep your good business results happening. Obviously in your case it has very little to do with LUCK.

Isaan Aussie

Actually IA, luck play a big part, combine with hard work and experience :)

• 10 months later...

I am definitely marveling at this. I'm interested in setting up a fish farm myself, and found this thread as part of my research and still can't help to be impressed. Hopefully, I can get my small scale operation going. My grandfather has 7 ponds, 4 of which was given away, and now I have only 3 pond to work off from. This will be done in Laos, the central part, which has a more moderate climate than Chiang Rai. If you have any tips for starters and where to begin, please do share. I'm looking into setting up an aquaponic system if possible, where the fishie poop will be recycled as fertilizer to a floating garden of lettuce. I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of what goes into the operation, but at the same time excited at the thought of trying out this sustainable way of life.

I'm an American who will be making my way to Laos, so there's lots to figure out. The wealth of knowledge you've posted in here has been great. Thank you.

Edited by redsweater

• 11 months later...

Thanks David, it's been 6 years full time and many more ahead... I'm not an easily contended person, already an expension plan is in the pipe line for 2013 (if we survive "End of the World" laugh.png ) Currently the 600'000 fishes/year is bringing in a nett income of ฿800'000+ ...... Hopefully with the expension next year will see me breaking into the ฿1mil mark that is been forcast.....

If you like video clips of the latest farm operation, please go to "clinton9938'' Youtube.

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

hello my name is mark i live in hang dong chiangmai i have around 1000 cat fish i need to sell

its the first and last time my wife have a fish form triying to sell fish she have no time looking after the form

if you can heip me with fone numbers to sell them round chiangmai i wood be thankfull the help thank you

The Chiang Mai wholesaler that i know of change his number...usually you could get the contacts from the people who sell the fingerlings or pellet feed. For you information, Wholesalers will buy your fishes if it is minimum a pond of 10'000 onwards. They can't be bother with 1'000. Advise that you tell your wife to sell them herself in the morning market, 1'000 fishes is about 200kg, will take about 5-7 days to sell off.

Mark, I live near Hang Dong, if you catfish are eating size, there are several markets you could sell them out of the back of a vehicle between you and Chiang Mai.

Just a thought, park on the outbound lane of CM hang dong road and you could probably unload the lot in a short time. If I see you I will stop and get a mess to fry up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm trying to find out the recommended stocking of catfish for an earthen pond without aeration. Obvioulsy it's not for commerical purposes as I just want this for psersonal consumption. I've tried researching elsewhere but most figures are based on some form of aeration.

For pond size 400sqm (1 Ngan) at max water depth of 1.5m, recommendation is 10'000 fishes. (standard stocking rate)

>12'000 (over-stock)

1 Rai = 4 Ngan. Stocing rate times 4

Edit: 11'999 is still over-stock... tongue.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

Thanks for that. I originally thought the figures you had quoted earlier were for an aerated pond because they seem densly stocked.

I was also wondering for a set up like this (or a smaller version), if you need a water change during the growing cycle or between cycles?

This thread is here already since 2009. I just discovered it..

Ouch!

I have a pretty decent computer but page 1 raises all red flags here.

Would like to enjoy it, perhaps changing the direct youtube links into hotlinks will allow me and others to access the first page?

Edited by Dancealot

Thanks for that. I originally thought the figures you had quoted earlier were for an aerated pond because they seem densly stocked.

I was also wondering for a set up like this (or a smaller version), if you need a water change during the growing cycle or between cycles?

50% water change when water is foul during growing cycle, usually twice.

This thread is here already since 2009. I just discovered it..

Ouch!

I have a pretty decent computer but page 1 raises all red flags here.

Would like to enjoy it, perhaps changing the direct youtube links into hotlinks will allow me and others to access the first page?

Dancealot ... the problem maybe at your end as they play A-OK for me ... both inside the first thread and when you click the YouTube hyper-link and they reopen in a new window.

RedBullHorn ... couple of things.

I have this recent thread about Fish Farm Aerators and would warmly appreciate your valued input and Videos there. fish-farming-paddle-wheel-aerators Would you post them there?

If your time is limited, but like the idea, would you like me to place them on that thread with acknowledgement to you?

If, however, you wish to keep your media in one central place I fully understand.

Let me know please.

50% water change when water is foul during growing cycle, usually twice.

Thanks for sharing RBH. I appreciate it