Ftpa In Pattaya?

allexx

Do you want the FTPA in Pattaya  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will say that I admire them if they are untrained as there are some handy people out there who I wouldn't want to go up against. :o

They're supposed to be nothing more than assistants to help with liaison and translation between the police and tourists. They are not supposed to get involved in any enforcement issues whether physical or verbal. If they get involved in a fracas they should be just as liable to arrest and prosecution as the other party.

That they appear, from recent events, to consider themselves equals to the police is a development that needs straightening out and soon.

They're supposed to be nothing more than assistants to help with liaison and translation between the police and tourists. They are not supposed to get involved in any enforcement issues whether physical or verbal. If they get involved in a fracas they should be just as liable to arrest and prosecution as the other party.

I really am trying not to get involved in this but this is simply wrong. Let me try and spell this out with simple words that all will understand. I have explained this a number of times but people just don't seem to be able to understand.

WE ARE TOURIST POLICE ASSISTANTS, WHICH MEANS WE ASSIST THE TOURIST POLICE IN THEIR DUTIES. THESE DUTIES INCLUDE TOURIST INFORMATION, TOURIST COMPLAINTS, TRANSLATION CASES, MEDICAL PROBLEMS, ENFORCEMENT CASES.

WE CAN ASSIST THE THAI TOURIST POLICE WITH THE ARREST OF A FOREIGNER IF THEY ASK US TO DO IT. THESE ARE VERY RARE CASES BUT WE ALL WEAR POLICE ISSUED ID BADGES AND ARE AUTHORISED TO DO THIS. WE HAVE STRICT RULES OF ENGAGEMENT RELATING TO SUCH CASES AND IF WE OVERSTEP THE MARK WE WILL BE DEALT WITH IN ACCORDANCE WITH THAI LAW

WE ARE NOT JUST TRANSLATORS. WE ARE THERE TO PROTECT AND SERVE FOREIGN TOURISTS IN ANY WAY WE CAN. WE ARE ALL UNPAID, WE FUND OUR UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT OURSELVES. WHAT WE CARRY IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL FTPA. WHAT WE DO CARRY ALLOWS US TO UNDERTAKE OUR DUTY TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITY. THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS I CARRY IS SURGICAL GLOVES.....I HAVE USED THESE ON MANY OCCASSIONS....THE OTHER ITEMS I PERSONALLY CARRY I RARELY USE.

Howard

WE ARE NOT JUST TRANSLATORS. WE ARE THERE TO PROTECT AND SERVE FOREIGN TOURISTS IN ANY WAY WE CAN.

Cheers, run along and get me a vodka and coke then will you?

With sincere respect..............& for the 4th - 5th time on several posts are any of the Volunteers :-

....."POLICE" or are they CIVILIANS......??????

Over to you Howard & Niels & whoever else has a 'group' .........................a very simple Question . Is it not ????

Do they have any LEGISLATED POWERS as LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS ..or .. only assist actual Police when asked , anyone & everyone can be asked ??

Easy Question ....Easy Answer....

post-64388-1237212279.gif

I really am trying not to get involved in this but this is simply wrong. Let me try and spell this out with simple words that all will understand. I have explained this a number of times but people just don't seem to be able to understand.

WE ARE TOURIST POLICE ASSISTANTS, WHICH MEANS WE ASSIST THE TOURIST POLICE IN THEIR DUTIES. THESE DUTIES INCLUDE TOURIST INFORMATION, TOURIST COMPLAINTS, TRANSLATION CASES, MEDICAL PROBLEMS, ENFORCEMENT CASES.

WE CAN ASSIST THE THAI TOURIST POLICE WITH THE ARREST OF A FOREIGNER IF THEY ASK US TO DO IT. THESE ARE VERY RARE CASES BUT WE ALL WEAR POLICE ISSUED ID BADGES AND ARE AUTHORISED TO DO THIS. WE HAVE STRICT RULES OF ENGAGEMENT RELATING TO SUCH CASES AND IF WE OVERSTEP THE MARK WE WILL BE DEALT WITH IN ACCORDANCE WITH THAI LAW

WE ARE NOT JUST TRANSLATORS. WE ARE THERE TO PROTECT AND SERVE FOREIGN TOURISTS IN ANY WAY WE CAN. WE ARE ALL UNPAID, WE FUND OUR UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT OURSELVES. WHAT WE CARRY IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL FTPA. WHAT WE DO CARRY ALLOWS US TO UNDERTAKE OUR DUTY TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITY. THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS I CARRY IS SURGICAL GLOVES.....I HAVE USED THESE ON MANY OCCASSIONS....THE OTHER ITEMS I PERSONALLY CARRY I RARELY USE.

Howard

I'm sorry, I thought the use of capitals was against forum rules. Or is Mr. Miller excluded?

Also, Mr. Miller, your attitude stinks and your condescending manner does you no favours.

You and the other volunteer gang have a serious image problem. To such an extent that Niels Colov felt it necessary to run a front page piece in his local rag this week defending his gang's raison d'être. Interestingly he seems to distance his gang from yours and questions your gang's mandate.

And here you are now saying that you can "assist" in the arrest of a foreigner if requested. Mr. Miller, you are a man with business interests in Pattaya, specifically with the local media. Your face is associated by many with the promotion and marketing of local businesses, for which you receive remuneration. That you should have any degree of police authority whatsoever is outrageous.

No other country would allow a prominent media figure to be involved in any kind of police work. And here in Pattaya we have the even more ludicrous situation of TWO media "barons" each with their own gang of volunteers.

I'm sorry Mr. Miller, but if you want any chance of gaining any credibility I suggest you (and the rest of you) first give up your day job.

Oh, by the way, I'm thinking of approaching the Immigration Police to set up my own gang of volunteers, if that's alright with you and Colov. Applicants wishing to join the Pattaya Foreign Immigration Police Volunteer Assistants (PFIPVA) can contact me regarding membership.

Howard

Does "overstep the mark' include paying Katoeys to drop complaints against off Duty Group Leaders ?? if that allegation is correct! ! ! [ ??

No axe to grind here , just an interested Officer from a different jurisdiction............fascinating

:o

I sit on walking street most nights and see the "fake" police in action all the time. once, when wanting to ask a simple question, they surrounded me instead of answering a simple, nicely asked, legitimate question. I have had to get out of their way when they are walking side by side since they do no allow for traffic to get in their way. I have seen, many times, farang fake police, take the flowers or watches etc from Thais and march them down to their gang headquarters. there were no thai, real police, present at these times, so i am not sure how this refers to translating or assisting. This gang can be helpful if they lose the attitude, dress like the civilians they are, not walk in more than pairs, and try and smile once in a while. since i have been here 3 years i honestly have never seen one smile.

This only goes for the farang fake police, the thai, real police never seem to have this attitude.

WE

< Yelling Snipped >

Howard

Meanwhile, to the question,

Do you want the FTPA in Pattaya ...or not?

Currently the "No" outnumber "Yes" by a 4 to 1 margin.

Now then, when do they disband?

We are Foreign Tourist Police Assistants (FTPA), meaning we assist the Foreigners and the Tourist Police. These duties include tourist information, tourist complaints, translation cases, medical problem and on rare occasions enforcement cases.

We can assist the Thai Tourist Police in their duties when asked to do so but more often than not in these situations we are dealing with a "drunk tourist" who does not understand Thai laws and customs. In these cases we are usually able to defuse situations that more likely than not would escalate and get the tourist in more legal trouble or physical violence.

We follow and respect Thai law and are held accountable like any other resident when on duty on walking street or off. Many of our Thai speaking FTPA's are often called at home on there "Off hours" to assist in sorting out a situation between the police and tourist. The uniforms we wear are directed standard issue uniforms, paid for by ourselves even when a new design is issued we have to fund out of pocket. Military boots are forbidden for the FTPA's as are shorts, but are allowed to be worn by the Thai Volunteers and volunteer Thai bike patrol.

Whatever equipment we carry is our individual choice whether pepper spray, handcuffs, flashlights, batons, police radios they are only used when directed by the Police or in defensive situations. Personally my choice is police radio, flashlight camera and pepper spray. My pepper spray has only been sprayed once in anger and that was by my ex-wife who was angry at some mosquitoes when I wasn't home and thought I carried insect spray around with me. In that case the only person hurt was her runny eyes and nose, and we had to vacate the house for the night. My equipment of choice is my digital camera that I find defuses most situations quickly when the perps realize that their aggressive action is now recorded.

I know Howard has expressed a time or two to the critics who really want to find out what we to to come down and spend a shift walking with us on walking street and see first hand what a night as a FTPA really is. If you sincerely desire to do so call Howard direct and make an appointment to do so. His phone number is on his web site and broadcast 100 times a day on the radio station. I personally enjoy giving back to the county that has adopted me or visa versa and personally since I am from Hawaii would rather wear Hawaiian Aloha shirts and shorts as a standard uniform but must go along with what I am directed to wear by those in authority. I also must acknowledge that when trying to help a drunk angry tourist the uniform we wear does command more respect than the Aloha wear.

Personally I have found that most of the criticism of the FTPA comes from people who either live here and don't need or want assistance with Thai customs and police procedures because they already know it all, or from people who have or haven't visited Pattaya to met some of us, or do not like authority figures here or in their own country.

To SJ, your straw vote is silly, stay in Sriricha where we won't interact with you.

To LOS, we are directed to walk in pairs or 3's and not allowed to walk alone for both our protection and as credibility witnesses in case there is an immediate need for assistance or to defuse a situation.

To Ltcol, your fascinated by what you read in the papers which often is far from the truth.

To P99, don't confuse the Farangs (FTPA) with the Thai volunteers. Congregating at the van is where we are most often used. I have seen the ability of 6 different languages capable of being spoken at that van and that is where tourists are directed when they have a question or need for assistance and are neither English or Thai speaking.

To PH & ltCol, we have no more power than a Thai citizen, that is we can make a citizen's arrest if necessary and are allowed whatever defensive measures necessary to defend ourselves from 6 aggressive Thai males disguised as women or if threatened with bodily harm by others.

This reply is my personal opinion and is not authorized or sanctioned by Howard, the FTPA, the Tourist police or TAT.

Oh, by the way, I'm thinking of approaching the Immigration Police to set up my own gang of volunteers, if that's alright with you and Colov. Applicants wishing to join the Pattaya Foreign Immigration Police Volunteer Assistants (PFIPVA) can contact me regarding membership.

no chance if you do not run your own newspaper... :o

How long have the FTPA been working on Walking Street? I was there about two years ago, and I don't recall seeing any farangs in black uniform patrolling the street. Is this a relatively new service?

How long have the FTPA been working on Walking Street? I was there about two years ago, and I don't recall seeing any farangs in black uniform patrolling the street. Is this a relatively new service?

No, it's been around for quite some time...

Thread started: 2004-07-21

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Foreign-Poli...38.html&st=

Foreign Police Volunteers In Pattaya

To SJ, your straw vote is silly, stay in Sriricha where we won't interact with you.

This reply is my personal opinion and is not authorized or sanctioned by Howard, the FTPA, the Tourist police or TAT.

Actually, it's not "my" poll. I was just commenting on the current results.

I do appreciate your taking the time to respond in your post and to do so in such a level-headed manner. I wish we could get more imput like that from the FTPA, particularly in regards to questions that have been raised over the years.

Please understand that I would just say that I disagree with the function and role of the FTPA.

It's not a personal vendetta, but a difference of opinion.

I do, however, also appreciate that there is not a Sriracha detachment of it. :o

So here we go...do you want this guys on Walking Street or not?

I think if they change the aggressive uniform, they would be much better off...but that's me.

That's an interesting point, and even though one of these volunteers has said that he'd prefer wearing a more casual and friendly outfit, I bet that if the uniforms were dropped or changed to something like a Hawaiian shirt and a pair of shorts rather than the threatening black costumes, most of those guys wouldn't be at all interested in joining.

Edited by Beacher

Howard

Alright, alright already, no need to shout or get quite so defensive.

But where are all these duties enshrined in writing preferably issued by Pattaya City council? More importantly what are the limits of your authority?

What training have your members undertaken particularly in respect of "MEDICAL PROBLEMS"?

As I've said before I have no gripe with the concept of a group of assistants to bridge the gap between the police and the tourists but it appears that there are issues that need answers. As it is it appears that there are two gangs of quasi policemen roaming the streets with no clear, transparent operating instructions.

I do, though, have a problem with "WHAT WE CARRY IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL FTPA". What you carry must be within the law and should be controlled otherwise it is open to misinterpretation and abuse.

We are Foreign Tourist Police Assistants (FTPA), meaning we assist the Foreigners and the Tourist Police. These duties include tourist information, tourist complaints, translation cases, medical problem and on rare occasions enforcement cases.

We can assist the Thai Tourist Police in their duties when asked to do so but more often than not in these situations we are dealing with a "drunk tourist" who does not understand Thai laws and customs. In these cases we are usually able to defuse situations that more likely than not would escalate and get the tourist in more legal trouble or physical violence.

We follow and respect Thai law and are held accountable like any other resident when on duty on walking street or off. Many of our Thai speaking FTPA's are often called at home on there "Off hours" to assist in sorting out a situation between the police and tourist. The uniforms we wear are directed standard issue uniforms, paid for by ourselves even when a new design is issued we have to fund out of pocket. Military boots are forbidden for the FTPA's as are shorts, but are allowed to be worn by the Thai Volunteers and volunteer Thai bike patrol.

Whatever equipment we carry is our individual choice whether pepper spray, handcuffs, flashlights, batons, police radios they are only used when directed by the Police or in defensive situations. Personally my choice is police radio, flashlight camera and pepper spray.

I know Howard has expressed a time or two to the critics who really want to find out what we to to come down and spend a shift walking with us on walking street and see first hand what a night as a FTPA really is. If you sincerely desire to do so call Howard direct and make an appointment to do so. His phone number is on his web site and broadcast 100 times a day on the radio station. I personally enjoy giving back to the county that has adopted me or visa versa and personally since I am from Hawaii would rather wear Hawaiian Aloha shirts and shorts as a standard uniform but must go along with what I am directed to wear by those in authority. I also must acknowledge that when trying to help a drunk angry tourist the uniform we wear does command more respect than the Aloha wear.

Personally I have found that most of the criticism of the FTPA comes from people who either live here and don't need or want assistance with Thai customs and police procedures because they already know it all, or from people who have or haven't visited Pattaya to met some of us, or do not like authority figures here or in their own country.

To LOS, we are directed to walk in pairs or 3's and not allowed to walk alone for both our protection and as credibility witnesses in case there is an immediate need for assistance or to defuse a situation.

I agree, safety in numbers, you'd be an isolated target otherwise.

To Ltcol, your fascinated by what you read in the papers which often is far from the truth.

To P99, don't confuse the Farangs (FTPA) with the Thai volunteers. Congregating at the van is where we are most often used. I have seen the ability of 6 different languages capable of being spoken at that van and that is where tourists are directed when they have a question or need for assistance and are neither English or Thai speaking.

To PH & ltCol, we have no more power than a Thai citizen, that is we can make a citizen's arrest if necessary and are allowed whatever defensive measures necessary to defend ourselves from 6 aggressive Thai males disguised as women or if threatened with bodily harm by others.

The other side of the H. Miller story? interesting.

Well said, bob.

Howard

Alright, alright already, no need to shout or get quite so defensive.

But where are all these duties enshrined in writing preferably issued by Pattaya City council? More importantly what are the limits of your authority?

What training have your members undertaken particularly in respect of "MEDICAL PROBLEMS"?

As I've said before I have no gripe with the concept of a group of assistants to bridge the gap between the police and the tourists but it appears that there are issues that need answers. As it is it appears that there are two gangs of quasi policemen roaming the streets with no clear, transparent operating instructions.

I do, though, have a problem with "WHAT WE CARRY IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL FTPA". What you carry must be within the law and should be controlled otherwise it is open to misinterpretation and abuse.

Phil, how about you wearing a belt with pepper spray, a baton and handcuffs and walking by the FTPA and seeing if they mind, since you are both not police, and you would just be carrying what you individually prefer but would never use. I would try it but i think i know what would happen. :o

Howard

Does "overstep the mark' include paying Katoeys to drop complaints against off Duty Group Leaders ?? if that allegation is correct! ! ! [ ??

No axe to grind here , just an interested Officer from a different jurisdiction............fascinating

:D

You obviously have a ax to grind although I have no idea why. Perhaps you are simply bored and choose to attack people just to amuse yourself. It is also painfully obvious that you have no respect for anyone. Your "expert and superior knowledge" of all things police related is very suspect in my eyes. It looks to me like you are possibly a wannabe police officer who ended up as a security officer at a warehouse. To sum it up your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired and your vocabulary doesn't impress me at all. :o

No axe to grind , just flabbergasted that such an outrageous allegation can be made in public without any answer/denial or ramification to the originating author. Accusing someone of Bribery in print usually activates legal ramifications when it is a lie.

I don't judge either , because it has no effect on my experiences here in Pattaya (I did ask for directions in WS once a few weeks ago ,but neither of the uniformed "Officers" spoke English ), & as you are from Ohio , you know that Volunteers , Honorary Deputies, Part timers etc are used in many Counties , Cities & Villages throughout Ohio & many other States ,these personnel all have City &/or State Authorisation , Mandatory Training & Arrest Powers.

Translators are called in when required by each Agency as are others with expertise as needed.

Different system here apparently.

Bob has answered my main question though & that is they have no Authority to effect an Arrest but they have the right to defend themselves against violent 'Men-Girls' & others , I am sure that applies to all of us.

Ohio State also mandates BLACK uniform shirts for Sheriffs Deputies , I cannot see what the problem is with Black personally , I always thought it was very practical.

:o

OK - enough FPV threads for this month.

The poll result indicates the "No's" outweigh the "Yes's" and "Couldn't care less" votes.

It would be interesteing to run this same poll amongst a stictly tourist demographic.

Closed.