Annoying Text Advertising On Cell Phone

fiddlehead

I get an average of 1 1/2 of these a day.

Many from Air Asia

Others written only in Thai so i don't know who they come from.

Is there a way to stop them?

I know in the states, you can put your number on a list and they legally canNOT send to people on that list.

Anything like that here? It is really annoying.

I flew Air Asia 2 times and won't fly them again simply because of this invasion of my time and quiet.

I couldn't understand why the credit on my phone was always approaching zero, when I hardly ever made calls. I found out that every one of those beeps and unsolicited messages was costing me 2 baht.

AIS could not stop them, so I changed my SIM card and I keep my telephone number a secret. It's the only way.

If you don't need to use text messaging and don't want to receive them, you may opt for turning off text messaging entirely.

It depends on your provider. Not sure you can turn messaging off in your phone. Possibly with additional software.

I was having the same problem (AIS), but one single call to their service centre has seemingly sorted it out for me - a month or so now only getting texts from friends/family etc. So I would definitely recommend calling before getting new numbers/sim's...

I couldn't understand why the credit on my phone was always approaching zero, when I hardly ever made calls. I found out that every one of those beeps and unsolicited messages was costing me 2 baht.

AIS could not stop them, so I changed my SIM card and I keep my telephone number a secret. It's the only way.

AIS stop mine

You have to be so careful about giving your number out. I had something delivered from Homepro recently and they took my number in case the delivery driver needed to contact me - at least that's what i thought they wanted my number for. Now i'm getting SMS spam from them and it makes me so angry that they have abused this trust!

Yesterday i needed to fill out an application form for a Central Dept Store discount card and the woman was very insistent i give my mobile number. I said no. She explained that they needed it so they could SMS me about promotions. I said "yes i know, that's why i'm not giving it to you!"

As with the cold calling sales technique, SMS spam seems to be universally hated by all, so i just don't get why these companies choose to do something that annoys their customers.

And what's worse i would imagine these companies make money by selling our contact details to other organisations!

There is no way of blocking text messages and phone numbers on mobile phones.

The best way is to change the sim card every few months.

As I said, since calling them up a month ago and saying that I didn't want to receive these advertising/marketing messages (3 or 4 times a week) anymore, they have stopped. Maybe just me and "Simcity" are simply lucky??

Edited by whooliggen

As I said, since calling them up a month ago and saying that I didn't want to receive these advertising/marketing messages (3 or 4 times a week) anymore, they have stopped. Maybe just me and "Simcity" are simply lucky??

I would guess that if it's the service provider themselves that are sending the spam, it's possible for them to stop it. Previously AIS have sent me spam and on calling them it's stopped (usually however it just starts up again a few months later!).

But if spam is coming from someone else, do they have the ability to do anything about it? I'm not so sure.

i just don't get why these companies choose to do something that annoys their customers

IMHO the question is not difficult to answer.

Like all of us I am receiving that SPAM as well, some call it promotion, I call it SPAM. But to be frank. 9 out of 10 of these messages are in Thai language.

We are in Thailand and the majority of cell users in this country are Thais. Please correct me when I am wrong.

I have the impression Thais like promotions very much and don't care much about if they are offered them

via SMS or in form of a leaflet promoting 'Somsaks Som Tam' shop. Like all of us they want save money.

If I receive such a 'promotion message' I delete it. Don't even open it or click on a link. Easy to identify from senders address what's behind.

You are only charged when you download something. So, don't click the links. Simply read it or delete it.

I trust I have not received more than 5 in the last 2 month. I can live with that amount of SPAM on my phone...

Edited by webfact

... the woman was very insistent i give my mobile number. I said no. She explained that they needed it so they could SMS me about promotions. I said "yes i know, that's why i'm not giving it to you!"...

:o Good one! I must remember that. :D

I have a samsung U-600 and you can create a block list.Once you recieved a message or call from an unwanted number you just go to the options and add it to the blocklist.I doubt this is the only phone on the market that has this option.

You have to be so careful about giving your number out. I had something delivered from Homepro recently and they took my number in case the delivery driver needed to contact me - at least that's what i thought they wanted my number for. Now i'm getting SMS spam from them and it makes me so angry that they have abused this trust!

Yesterday i needed to fill out an application form for a Central Dept Store discount card and the woman was very insistent i give my mobile number. I said no. She explained that they needed it so they could SMS me about promotions. I said "yes i know, that's why i'm not giving it to you!"

As with the cold calling sales technique, SMS spam seems to be universally hated by all, so i just don't get why these companies choose to do something that annoys their customers.

And what's worse i would imagine these companies make money by selling our contact details to other organisations!

Sadly, I have no doubt that the sales staff couldnt understand why you wouldnt want to receive text messages about promotional craaap! :D

....and of course I have never seen a country that runs promotional craaap as well as Thailand does :o

• 8 months later...

For the past few days now my mobile phone has been receiving SMS messages from NEWSPLUS at the rate of about 1 per hour or so (several per day!).

I did not ask for these, they are annoying, and I'm trying to find out if I am paying for them.

I found a number for AIS call centre on the internet... 02 271 9000 ...and called it and requested them to stop them, and any other promotional messages, but they said that it would take a couple of days or so (Thai time? :))

They told me that the company responsible for them is EBIZ and gave me the number 02 182 0545....

...(there goes another one... 4th one today and it's only 11am)...

...but when you phone this number it doesn't give an English option on the recorded message, nevertheless when it does pass you through to the next stage, you hear a phone ring several times then the number goes dead. In other words, there appears to be no way to get through to a human on this number.

Can anyone give me any more info on this EBIZ company who is sending these NEWSPLUS text messages, because I when I get the address / telephone number I will have someone call them / pay them a personal visit (eg. lawyer) to get to the bottom of their scam.

I did a search on the internet already but I don't think the info I have found so far relates to the company responsible.

Furthermore, if there is no law in Thailand about receiving unsolicited text messages which are charged to your account without your authorisation, then a law needs to be made to make such practice illegal, so this issue needs to be brought to the attention of the media and the government.

of course you can block numbers !!!

in case of 12call, you can even choose to block several numbers when using their e-service on the website.

log you in with ur number, and then you can choose which numbers to block.

Furthermore, if there is no law in Thailand about receiving unsolicited text messages which are charged to your account without your authorisation, then a law needs to be made to make such practice illegal, so this issue needs to be brought to the attention of the media and the government.

In Thailand don't you only pay for text messages sent? Same with calls.

AIS 1-2 Call E Service

I had to search around the AIS site to find this. This gives you a way to block known numbers. It won't help with the spam however. There is also a 30bt/mth charge. Could be worth it in some cases. Enter your phone number and they send you an SMS with a temporary password. It also has options for checking/changing your service plan.

RobinHill, i know it is very frustrating.

Ring True / Ais and tell them you do not want this crap ! They have different level of protection

I receive none now, it took me two calls to them.

AIS call center number is 1175. Very quick service.

Then you have to make it clear to them that you do not want to receive any text messages from them whatsoever. It's best to call every time you get a message - that should increase their cost and make them maybe reconsider. The problem I think is that there is no setting for them to "block all texts". They can only check what you are subscribed to, and unsubscribe you, but then for some reason later on they subscribe you to some new "promotion" or whatever they call it. And that's when you have to call the customer service center again.

I am hardly getting any after calling twice. I also don't give out my number where I don't have to. If you are asked for your number, think about why they'd actually want to call you. If they insist you fill it in, give a false one. So if you get "savings" card from your supermarket, don't give them the number, don't enter to win some prize, etc. All that stuff will get you on phone sales lists.