More Monkey Business In Chiang Mai...

DLock

I had the opportunity to visit Love Animal House today to visit Marianne and her animals in Mae Rim.

Some of you may recall last year I was looking for help in trying to find a home for George my Monkey, who I had rescued from the cooking pot. After dozens of emails and phone calls to so called "sanctuary's" in Thailand, Marianne was the only person to offer help. She could not take George however, as she has 3 monkeys of her own to take care of.

I left feeling humbled at Marianne's commitment and compassion she shows for her animals - every one of them rescued and adopted into her care, many from horrible and abusive situations. She does this with no support from animal welfare agencies and uses her own money to pay 9 staff and house and feed the animals. She has been physically attacked with a machete, had animals poisoned and had to deal with aggressive Thais who do not understand or care.

The reason I visited was to learn more about monkey care for George. I walked away offering to help support her plans to build bigger cages for her monkeys to give them a better life. The cages they are in now are just too small and the monkeys get frustrated and bored.

In the pictures below, Jacques is the monkey in the small cage. He is a big boy for 2 years old and looks like a midget in a gorilla costume. Mohawk is what my George will grow into eventually and very strong. The area has been planned for the cages, but Marianne does not have any money to complete them. She has most of the steel, but needs help in actual construction, concrete and things to complete the cage.

I'm sure Marianne would appreciate any support that anyone could provide, whether that be in materials, time or money to help finish the cages so she can start a program for schools to help educate Thai children on animals, conservation and the environment.

Marianne does not advertise her animal home, nor does she even have a sign outside - main reason is that many Thai's tired of taking care of their animals would dump them over her wall for her to care for. So, you won't be able to visit her unless you ask. Her website can be found here:

http://www.animal-sanctuary.chiangmai-chiangrai.com

post-21832-1237109547_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1237109589_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1237109647_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1237109683_thumb.jpg

something I have wondered about ..... are there wild primates living in the forest outside CM? I have heard some loud yells that I thought could be primates but never seen any.

The wild primates may be observed at Spicey's most very early mornings. They tend to be night feeders.