Yorkshire Puddings

Pdaz

I've been cooking since my teens and have lived in US, OZ and Singas as well as good Ole Blighty..

Never had any problems with 'Yorkies' before but everytime I have cooked them recently they have come out as a soft cake rather than a light&airy well risen crispy pudding :o

I've used four different types of flour (gen purpose, cake, bread and self raising) none seems to provide any better results.. I've used my own standard reicipe and have even tried the extra egg yolk trick. to no avail.. Done all the usual, rsting the batter in the fridge, heating up the oil in the pan first.. increasing the oven temp and placing the pan at the top of the oven.. Still not rising and still only 'cakey' pudding :D

Anybody got a guaranteed recipe that they have had sucess with here in Thailand ?

cheers

PD

I've been cooking since my teens and have lived in US, OZ and Singas as well as good Ole Blighty..

Never had any problems with 'Yorkies' before but everytime I have cooked them recently they have come out as a soft cake rather than a light&airy well risen crispy pudding :o

I've used four different types of flour (gen purpose, cake, bread and self raising) none seems to provide any better results.. I've used my own standard reicipe and have even tried the extra egg yolk trick. to no avail.. Done all the usual, rsting the batter in the fridge, heating up the oil in the pan first.. increasing the oven temp and placing the pan at the top of the oven.. Still not rising and still only 'cakey' pudding :D

Anybody got a guaranteed recipe that they have had sucess with here in Thailand ?

cheers

PD

use your recipe but just make sure the oil in the tray is smoking hot and the oven is about 210 degrees to start with, after they have risen turn the oven down to 180 degrees and cook a little longer.

Might help if you post your recipe, so we can take a look and help trouble-shoot it with you....

Its the egg whites that give you the rise not the egg yokes..... you might try a slightly more runny batter, if its too thick it won't pop for you

Edited by SlackJawChef

Im getting the 'sizzle' when I drop the batter in.. the fat (usually beef or lamb) in the pan is smokin hot.

Recipe is..

3oz plain flour

1 egg

3fl oz milk

salt&pepper to season..

The other recipe I use is basically the same but larger quantity

8oz plain flour

3 eggs

milk ( up to a pint depending on flour)

salt&pepper

For both I heat the fat in either a muffin tin or a small roasting tin.. put onto hob to keep oil hot and add the batter.. oven is a 220 and usually turn it down to 200 and cook for 25-35 minutes..

Worked great when I visited UK over Xmas.. but won't work here.. :o

Maybe I just need to roast more often.. and get a feel for it again

I tend to make mine by eye, but have also struggled to get Yorkshires to come out well here. I put it down to the crap ovens- I've used 2, both similar in style that have a temp gauge indicator lever stuck on the front of the door. They only seem to have 2 temperatures- cold and stupidly hot. However even at 2000 c they still don't seem to rise very well.

Feel sorry for my ma who made the world's best for the first twenty years of my life, then just lost it one day and has made nothing but Yorkshire biscuits ever since!

Edit to add: I don't think you'll do any harm by holding the temp at 220 if your gauge is accurate, that's the temperature I've always used.

Edited by Slip

I'm using an electic oven ( Smeg) I've tried both with and without the fan..

After hearing about your Mother I'm now starting to get really paranoid.. :o

I too make them by 'feel' and use the recipe as a guide as flour and eggs aren't standard and can affect the consistancy of the mix.

Edited by Pdaz

After hearing about your Mother I'm now starting to get really paranoid.. :o

I too make them by 'feel' and use the recipe as a guide as flour and eggs aren't standard and can affect the consistancy of the mix.

It's not just the recipe......it's how much of the mixture you put in the baking tin.

I have had a lot of success with the following recipe here in Thailand using an 8" (200mm) dia baking tin with 1.5" high sides (32mm) Or a flat surface area of 314 sq cm.

If you have a different size tin to me then adjust the qtys accordingly.

60 gms all purpose flour

140 ml of fresh milk (I use the stuff with the dark blue tops)

2 eggs

Some salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp of each)

Enough oil to cover the bottom of the baking tin. Probably around 75 ml. I just use any old vegetable oil you can get at the local super.

Mix the flour, eggs, milk, salt and pepper. No need to chill the mixture.

pre-heat oven to 220 deg C ( I have an electric oven so I am am fairly sure I am getting the temp as advertised !!)

Pour the oil into the baking tin and heat slowly on a gas or electric ring on the top of the cooker until you can see smoke coming off the oil. Pour in all the mixture and as briskly as possible put it into the oven. (The reason for heating slowly is to make sure the baking tin as well as the oil is very hot)

You should see it starting to rise after about 10 min and it should be done after about 30 min. NEVER open the oven door while cooking the pudding. I have a glass door as I believe most ovens have so you can see what is happening from the outside.

Happy cooking !!!

After hearing about your Mother I'm now starting to get really paranoid.. :D

It's not just the recipe......it's how much of the mixture you put in the baking tin.

I have had a lot of success with the following recipe here in Thailand using an 8" (200mm) dia baking tin with 1.5" high sides (32mm) Or a flat surface area of 314 sq cm.

If you have a different size tin to me then adjust the qtys accordingly.

60 gms all purpose flour

140 ml of fresh milk (I use the stuff with the dark blue tops)

2 eggs

Some salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp of each)

Enough oil to cover the bottom of the baking tin. Probably around 75 ml. I just use any old vegetable oil you can get at the local super.

Mix the flour, eggs, milk, salt and pepper. No need to chill the mixture.

pre-heat oven to 220 deg C ( I have an electric oven so I am am fairly sure I am getting the temp as advertised !!)

Pour the oil into the baking tin and heat slowly on a gas or electric ring on the top of the cooker until you can see smoke coming off the oil. Pour in all the mixture and as briskly as possible put it into the oven. (The reason for heating slowly is to make sure the baking tin as well as the oil is very hot)

You should see it starting to rise after about 10 min and it should be done after about 30 min. NEVER open the oven door while cooking the pudding. I have a glass door as I believe most ovens have so you can see what is happening from the outside.

Happy cooking !!!

I knew that the size of the tin was important. maybe as you say I have been over filling mine... I'll give your recipe a go today and see how..

Thanks for the input :o

:D Had pretty good sucess using an extra egg white.. Used my regular recipe (3oz flour etc.) but added another egg white.. maybe I made the batter a little 'looser' than before too..

Used veg oil as no 'dripping' so although not as tasty as Yorkshire cooked with a roast the batter rose up and developed a nice crisp shell..

I use an 8inch sponge tin.. I will try with some individuals in a muffin tin later today..

Thanks again for all the replies.. :o

Yahaay,

Now those look just fine. Well done Pdaz and happy future Yorkshiring.

Glad all is well... Now if you stuff them with some hot roast beef, caramelized onions and gravy you have a great alternative to a hot beef sandwich

"Yorky's aren't just for breakfast any more"