California Property Tax Issue.

Dorian2

I live in Los Angeles County, California. I have recently purchased a home. I am yet to pay the first tax for my property. My real estate agent says that I am liable for a tax of $8000 as per the purchase price of my house. He says that I may be eligible for some type of refund or reduction. Any info would be appreciated.

I live in Los Angeles County, California. I have recently purchased a home. I am yet to pay the first tax for my property. My real estate agent says that I am liable for a tax of $8000 as per the purchase price of my house. He says that I may be eligible for some type of refund or reduction. Any info would be appreciated.

$600k house? California's Prop 13 limits property taxes to 1% of assessed valuation, or if its been sold recently, the sale price is the current valuation. Typically there will be .35-.40 of local taxes tacked on there somewhere for schools, bond issues, whatever.

I'm not aware of any refund/reduction, unless you paid outstanding property taxes at the time of your closing (check your escrow closing statement for this info). You can check your property tax payment online by plugging in your AIN: LA County Assessor's Office

Your house will be re-assessed as of the date of sale. Check the newly assessed value vs. the price you paid for the house.