What Are Some Good Novels Which Are Based In Thailand?

dudeyone

Ok, desertrat, back in your box - it's not even lunchtime yet.

Even though you asked for "sex tourist getting sunburnt in Pattaya" novels, one of my favourite Bangkok novels is about a guy who spends his days trawling the streets looking for the best burger - they even opened an Internet forum dedicated to the book. Find it HERE

You are confusing me with the OP...QED.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite illuminating that in a country of 60 million people the predominant recollection of western visitors is whorehouses. Perhaps you guys ought to get out a bit more...
Exactly. And while my novel is not about Thailand but Xanta, and may never be published, there is not a whore house in the book, except the one that the Karen girl is saved from being sent to. The assassination attempts are done by giant, supernatural eagles, until they get to Burma. Good people, even shamans, nonviolently give their life to save people. Even to save the crown from an evil populist dictator.

Not that I have never been to a whorehouse, but I don't write about them.

It's quite illuminating that in a country of 60 million people the predominant recollection of western visitors is whorehouses. Perhaps you guys ought to get out a bit more...
Exactly. And while my novel is not about Thailand but Xanta, and may never be published, there is not a whore house in the book, except the one that the Karen girl is saved from being sent to. The assassination attempts are done by giant, supernatural eagles, until they get to Burma. Good people, even shamans, nonviolently give their life to save people. Even to save the crown from an evil populist dictator.

Not that I have never been to a whorehouse, but I don't write about them.

good to see you have avoided all the old cliches

"Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye" by Warren Olson.

actually written by Stephen Leather of 'Private Dancer' fame

I can't find Stephen Leather on the book as to being the book writer, but you may be correct. On the cover of the book it just states"True stories from the case files of Warren Olson". Whoever wrote it is very good.

Forgot to put in my Best Novels, and not asked for, but WORST novel I've ever read, actually never got past first few chapters was something from someone called Jake Needham.

Good old Trink also rubbished it.

The Big Mango?

I actually finished it, god knows why. Some of the most self indulgent crap that I have ever had the misfortune to actually buy.

Forgot to put in my Best Novels, and not asked for, but WORST novel I've ever read, actually never got past first few chapters was something from someone called Jake Needham.

The Big Mango?

I actually finished it, god knows why. Some of the most self indulgent crap that I have ever had the misfortune to actually buy.

Yes, I agree. The idea for the "Big Mango" story is quite a good one but it's full of cardboard cutouts and I can't even remember the ending.

As for Reynolds' 'Lady of Bangkok', you can't get hold of it because it's out of print. They all say it's worth reading though.

The OP asked for some good books so we haven't done him very well. Perhaps controversially therefore, may I mention a possible novel which isn't about a girl from a whorehouse. It's about a serious family orientated Thai girl who isn't interested in her farang suitor or his money? (Yeah, okay, it is fiction!)

And it is in print and widely available because it's just about to go to a seventh printing.

It's called "Thai Girl".

Described by an Australian novelist who's just been let out of a Thai jail as, 'The definitive novel about relationships between foreigners and Thais", you could say that it's Romeo and Juliet without the coffins.

It's not for me to praise it because I wrote it, but I do hope it's bang up the OP's street.

A book I love is "Letters From Thailand" by Botan, translated by Susan Fulop, though it's about the integration of a Chinese immigrant family into Bangkok life, so really it isn't up the OP's street. Otherwise I'm struggling!

Andrew Hicks

Sorry, but I would the Thai Girl novel VERY LOW by literary standards. What a shameless plug!

I did read it so I know what I am talking about. Probably the most poorly written novel I have read in years.

Edited by Jingthing

Try this author. He is way above average for Thai set novels which is remarkable because he has not spent that much time here. I have read them all and they are good novels in their own right.

John Burdett

Bangkok 8 and its sequels, Bangkok Tattoo and Bangkok Haunts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Burdett

I second that.

Are there any good novels which are based in Thailand? I read Private Dancer some years back and thought it was a good book so I am looking for something along the lines of that; murder, prostitutes, nightlife, drugs, backstabbing, mia nois, giks, everything!

There are many but, IMHO, that is by far and away the best.

Every other novel that I have read, about Thailand, could have been set in many other countries/cities (substitute Hong Kong for Bangkok and you will get my drift).

Private Dancer, however, could only have been set in Thailand.

Brilliant!

Should be mandatory reading for every ferang - First time visitor, or resident!

:o

Private Dancer is a boring book and very predictable. What makes it even sadder is that it mirrors real life for so many idiots out there who think that 'she is different'.

Edited by Marksamui

"kicking dogs" brilliant novel, I've forgotten the author's name.

Collin Piprell

Thank you,

he also wrote another one based Manila, I've forgotten the name of that as well (testeract or something like it) this was also a very good read.

???

Perhaps you mean The Tesseract by Alex Garland? Set in Manila.

Edited by Jingthing

"kicking dogs" brilliant novel, I've forgotten the author's name.

Collin Piprell

Thank you,

he also wrote another one based Manila, I've forgotten the name of that as well (testeract or something like it) this was also a very good read.

???

Perhaps you mean The Tesseract by Alex Garland? Set in Manila.

Correct, I do, thanks again, did Colin Piprell write anything else?

The Big Mango?

Yes, I agree. The idea for the "Big Mango" story is quite a good one but it's full of cardboard cutouts and I can't even remember the ending.

Andrew Hicks

The Big Mango is one of only three Bangkok novels that I have read more than once and I could not disagree more.

Jake is one of few Thailand-based novelists who sees through the BS and has the balls to tell it how it is. I know quite a few people, including some other novelists, funnily enough, struggle with that.