2009 Formula One Season

Kimi's pay is high mainly because of his good manager. He's on good commission :)

I believe he will get good results as soon as the car has the pace to win races. He lost last year to Massa so he is eager to show that he's still fast. But he's kinda guy you never know what he's gonna do. He does not give a s..t, as you can see in his interviews. He could not care less and actually hates the interviews and attention he's getting.

So i would not be surprised if he decides to retire and hang out in his boat wearing the famous gorilla outfit instead of having another season with Ferrari knowing he does not have car capable of winning races. I doubt he will go elsewhere, he has said many times that Ferrari is his last team.

MJo, thats exactly what I was saying, he doesn't give a s--t well I'm sorry but being the 5th highest paid sportsman in the world then he should, he is quite prepared to take the money and with that comes I believe certain responsibilities to the people in one form or another who pay his grossly inflated salary.

Driving one of the top cars throughout his career and winning the WDC once is really not good enough, I believe he will go soon as I don't think he really has the ability to compete against the up and coming youngsters, if he cannot cut it now then he will never go to a team that is lower down the pecking order, next year or the year after we will see Ferrari and Maclaren back on top, as they have the financial clout although for my money I would love to see Ross Brawn get more sponsors to keep his team up with the front runners in yrs to come.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figuratively speaking! I can't see Button's season falling apart any time soon. So in my opinion he would have already won it under the proposed scoring system.

OK, i get your point.

My point though was that whether it be the silly medal points system, or the points system we have now, the season is effectively over in terms on the driver's title. Even if Button wins no more races, providing he finishes each race in or around the top 3 or 4 places, nobody will catch him, with the possible exception of his team mate, but even that seems highly unlikely. Not that i'm saying that's a bad thing. Button has driven brilliantly and deserves his unassailable lead.

Two English driver's champions in successive years - who would have thought?!!! :)

I get your point too mate and being English I am very happy that Button is where he is.

Cheers, Rick

The way things are going maybe we won't be able to have this thread next year.

Ferrari warn FIA over entry conditions

Eurosport - Wed, 10 Jun 22:38:00 2009

World champions Ferrari have warned Formula One's governing body not to try to include them as an automatic entry on the list of competitors for next season without first meeting their conditions.

We are not winning anymore, so we don't want anymore competition. We are therefore taking our bat home.

Cheers, Rick

MJo, thats exactly what I was saying, he doesn't give a s--t well I'm sorry but being the 5th highest paid sportsman in the world then he should, he is quite prepared to take the money and with that comes I believe certain responsibilities to the people in one form or another who pay his grossly inflated salary.

Driving one of the top cars throughout his career and winning the WDC once is really not good enough, I believe he will go soon as I don't think he really has the ability to compete against the up and coming youngsters, if he cannot cut it now then he will never go to a team that is lower down the pecking order, next year or the year after we will see Ferrari and Maclaren back on top, as they have the financial clout although for my money I would love to see Ross Brawn get more sponsors to keep his team up with the front runners in yrs to come.

I'm not saying he's not giving his 110% now during the races and testing. He still is professional driver and he would have been fired already if he had been just lifting his paycheck.

What i meant more is that he does not give a <deleted> what is said in the media or various experts etc etc. He's not even aware half of it. Also i believe he don't care what will happen after his contract expires. My take on it is that he will continue if there is fast enough car for him to drive (fair chance to win championship) and quits if there isn't.

I do not agree with your claim he should have won more. During his McLaren years the car was not there in the early days and his best bid went down the drain with few races where his car or engine failed. But he won it in his first year in a new team which is achievement itself as everyone told there is no chance he can take over from Schumi and get the team to work for him. Also remember how he fought back after he was so far behind that everyone told him that there is no chance of winning anymore. He kept his head cool (there is no other setting) and Lewis did few mistakes as a rookie and that was it. His "Iceman" nick is spot on, he's one cool customer and very rarely his emotions will effect on his driving.

I fully admid that last year he lost the plot but as i said before pre season this year he was motivated as ever and best ever shape physically so he still has the hunger to win. Unfortunately his car is not there this year.

He was hired by Ferrari to replace Schumi and he delivered by winning in his first year. All champs have seen their salaries to go thru the roof. Hamilton had a nice raise, Alonso did pretty good deal with McLaren and so on. He was hand picked to drive Ferrari by Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Schumi himself to counter Alonso and then unknown Lewis driving very fast McLaren. So he's getting paid what Ferrari thinks he's worth.

When talking about guys driving in top teams several years without success names like Couldhard, Barrichello and Massa springs to my mind. And yes rixalex, i admid there is big chance Kovi will be one of them if he's not finding extra gear somewhere rather soon :)

The way things are going maybe we won't be able to have this thread next year.

Ferrari warn FIA over entry conditions

Eurosport - Wed, 10 Jun 22:38:00 2009

World champions Ferrari have warned Formula One's governing body not to try to include them as an automatic entry on the list of competitors for next season without first meeting their conditions.

We are not winning anymore, so we don't want anymore competition. We are therefore taking our bat home.

Cheers, Rick

It's not Ferrari's conditions, the team union FOTA is united, except for williams and force india, and have notified FIA that they will not participate next season if Mad Max's idiotic rules having cars with different rules and spec to compete each other are enforced.

So Williams and Force India are confirmed as they signed without conditions, Also USF1 is pretty sure as they have confirmed that they will drive with two cars regardless of rules. Rest are still not clear as they argue with FIA regarding the rules and budget limitations.

They are meeting today with Max in London and i hope they will find solution as deadline to sign up is tomorrow and FIA will confirm next season teams also tomorrow.

Edit: by tomorrow i naturally mean Friday, seems to be past midnight so better to get some sleep...

Edited by MJo

I had been wondering why Torro Rosso were not up there with Red Bull then remembered that they are using the Ferrari customer pack engine which it appears isn't upto much, either in Ferraris own car or Torro Rosso although I suspect Torro have access to Red Bulls bodywork modifications.

As for Maclarens car having the same Mercedes engine as Brawns car which is actually a customer pack engine and probably not quite as highly tuned as Maclarens then by now after seven races why have they not caught up with the Brawns cars, other teams had already developed the body mods as Brawns in case they lost their case against them and indeed had them fitted for the next race, why not Maclarens, over to you Rixalex and Mjo.

I agree with you in terms of the driver's obligations to his team, but as a fan i've never been too bothered with what the drivers do, or what they say, once they get out of the car - i'm more interested in what they do in it. Let's face it, in real life a lot of these guys are most probably obnoxious <deleted>. My hero, Senna, was i'm sure no exception!

So for me, Kimi's attitude outside of the car was never an issue. What has been an issue, and what i think is unforgivable for the fans, is the way he seems to simply give up trying when the car isn't how he wants it. He owes it to the fans who travel thousands of miles and pay a lot of money to attend the race, to give it 110% every lap, whether he be at the back or at the front of the field. He lets himself down, his team down, and all his fans down too. A pity because as i say, on his day he is blindingly quick.

I agree with you in terms of the driver's obligations to his team, but as a fan i've never been too bothered with what the drivers do, or what they say, once they get out of the car - i'm more interested in what they do in it. Let's face it, in real life a lot of these guys are most probably obnoxious <deleted>. My hero, Senna, was i'm sure no exception!

So for me, Kimi's attitude outside of the car was never an issue. What has been an issue, and what i think is unforgivable for the fans, is the way he seems to simply give up trying when the car isn't how he wants it. He owes it to the fans who travel thousands of miles and pay a lot of money to attend the race, to give it 110% every lap, whether he be at the back or at the front of the field. He lets himself down, his team down, and all his fans down too. A pity because as i say, on his day he is blindingly quick.

On his day,....... that has got to be the operative word, being blindingly quick is all very well but you MUST finish the race to score points and even at Maclarens he had a lot of mechanical problems that his team mate did not have and the same goes for Ferrari he also has had a lot of accidents that could have been avoided, Ron Dennis once blamed him for that very same thing.

As for Maclarens car having the same Mercedes engine as Brawns car which is actually a customer pack engine and probably not quite as highly tuned as Maclarens then by now after seven races why have they not caught up with the Brawns cars, other teams had already developed the body mods as Brawns in case they lost their case against them and indeed had them fitted for the next race, why not Maclarens, over to you Rixalex and Mjo.

Good question wacky. I don't profess to have all the answers regarding McClaren's dire season, but my guess would be that the car is fundamentally wrong in terms of design, and no amount of mods is going to fix it. They have though said that they have closed the gap to the Brawns from about 3 seconds at the start of the season to now about 1.5. Not sure how true that is or indeed how close McClaren now are. In the last two races, with the exception of Kovi's qualifying lap in Monaco, the McClarens look as far off the pace as ever. If they give up on this season as they seem ready to do, my guess is we won't see much improvement this year either. This is sad for me, as it is sad the Ferraris are so bad, because the amazing feat of the Brawns and in particular Button, is devalued by the fact that there is noone to put up a fight against them.

Being the best means proving yourself against the best - that's a hard thing to do when all around you are crap - well almost all!

you MUST finish the race to score points and even at Maclarens he had a lot of mechanical problems that his team mate did not have and the same goes for Ferrari

I think you are being a little unfair on Kimi. A lot of the mechanical errors that i recall him having had (seemingly) little to do with the way he was driving; just came down to luck. Can you think of any specific examples when he was responsible for the car breaking down (with the obvious exception of when he crashed)?

Good question wacky. I don't profess to have all the answers regarding McClaren's dire season, but my guess would be that the car is fundamentally wrong in terms of design, and no amount of mods is going to fix it. They have though said that they have closed the gap to the Brawns from about 3 seconds at the start of the season to now about 1.5. Not sure how true that is or indeed how close McClaren now are. In the last two races, with the exception of Kovi's qualifying lap in Monaco, the McClarens look as far off the pace as ever. If they give up on this season as they seem ready to do, my guess is we won't see much improvement this year either. This is sad for me, as it is sad the Ferraris are so bad, because the amazing feat of the Brawns and in particular Button, is devalued by the fact that there is noone to put up a fight against them.

Being the best means proving yourself against the best - that's a hard thing to do when all around you are crap - well almost all!

Even 1.5 secs a lap is a back markers position when you should be looking at a 10 of a second and even then you would not been near the front of the grid.

This seasons performance justifies Honda's work in the middle of last year preparing a car for this years races and not poncing around with temporary fixes in the hope of getting it right, Ferrari and Maclaren need to write off this year and start on next years cars.

I had been wondering why Torro Rosso were not up there with Red Bull then remembered that they are using the Ferrari customer pack engine which it appears isn't upto much, either in Ferraris own car or Torro Rosso although I suspect Torro have access to Red Bulls bodywork modifications.

Toro Rosso has been driving engine testing for Ferrari in Friday practise sessions. They have used old race engines from Ferrari cars and in Turkey they reportedly drove Friday practise with engines that had 2500 km's in it. Seems that they have been testing how long the engines last and maybe if there is anything that can be improved within the strict limits from FIA.

The thing is that the engine performance drops sharply around 1400 km mark so Toro Rosso has basicly vasted the Fridays for this. They are not able to find and test race set-ups with the old underpowered engines. There is quite big difference in set-up depending your engine hp's.

I have the impression that both Mercedes and Ferrari customer pack engines produce the same hp as the main team engines. As the engine development has bee banned for couple of years now i assume all engine manufacturers have optimized their engines already for these present rules. And sell the same engines to their customer teams and propably tweak their own a bit but not much.

What comes to Brawn, they just have unbelievable good grip levels and handling. All due to superior aero package. But they did go and used four wind tunnels since mid last season to develop the car. And not to mention Brawn is one of the best what comes to the cars. Same as Red Bull, i recon it is mainly Adrian Newey behind their good results. He's designed most of the winning cars in past. He was also the man that bring McLaren back to front row late -90's.

Toro Rosso has been driving engine testing for Ferrari in Friday practise sessions. They have used old race engines from Ferrari cars and in Turkey they reportedly drove Friday practise with engines that had 2500 km's in it. Seems that they have been testing how long the engines last and maybe if there is anything that can be improved within the strict limits from FIA.

The thing is that the engine performance drops sharply around 1400 km mark so Toro Rosso has basicly vasted the Fridays for this. They are not able to find and test race set-ups with the old underpowered engines. There is quite big difference in set-up depending your engine hp's.

I have the impression that both Mercedes and Ferrari customer pack engines produce the same hp as the main team engines. As the engine development has bee banned for couple of years now i assume all engine manufacturers have optimized their engines already for these present rules. And sell the same engines to their customer teams and propably tweak their own a bit but not much.

What comes to Brawn, they just have unbelievable good grip levels and handling. All due to superior aero package. But they did go and used four wind tunnels since mid last season to develop the car. And not to mention Brawn is one of the best what comes to the cars. Same as Red Bull, i recon it is mainly Adrian Newey behind their good results. He's designed most of the winning cars in past. He was also the man that bring McLaren back to front row late -90's.

Mjo, if thats true and Torro Rosso are basically testing old Ferrari engines to destruction {virtually} then Ferrari must be paying them some serious money otherwise why not join the other part of the team ie; Red Bull and use Mercedes engines and possibly be among the front runners.

Mjo, if thats true and Torro Rosso are basically testing old Ferrari engines to destruction {virtually} then Ferrari must be paying them some serious money otherwise why not join the other part of the team ie; Red Bull and use Mercedes engines and possibly be among the front runners.

True, you must get pretty cheap or free engines if you agree to run tests on them.

But then again we are living tough times and this Red Bull bloke is running and financing two teams so maybe he's looking a way to save few bucks :)

Found a link that is in english... HERE

Sometimes these reports are bull but there must be something behind it if they quote the team boss.

True, you must get pretty cheap or free engines if you agree to run tests on them.

But then again we are living tough times and this Red Bull bloke is running and financing two teams so maybe he's looking a way to save few bucks :)

Found a link that is in english... HERE

Sometimes these reports are bull but there must be something behind it if they quote the team boss.

Just read the article Rixalex and if it's true then having changed the engine for a good one :D:D for saturdays practise then what the article says about not having time for the drivers to get used to the new setup would make sense but why still use Ferrari engines and not Mercedes, mind you if Torro were using the good :D:D engine from Ferrari and with their superior aerodynamics from Red Bull they indeed might show Ferrari up with a faster car, must be some serious cash floating around somewhere. Just look at the sports Red Bull sponsor.

Just read the article Rixalex and if it's true then having changed the engine for a good one :):D for saturdays practise then what the article says about not having time for the drivers to get used to the new setup would make sense but why still use Ferrari engines and not Mercedes, mind you if Torro were using the good :D:D engine from Ferrari and with their superior aerodynamics from Red Bull they indeed might show Ferrari up with a faster car, must be some serious cash floating around somewhere. Just look at the sports Red Bull sponsor.

Yep, i can not figure out any other reason than money. Or maybe Mercedes not able or willing to provide for both but that does not make sense as they have huge engine department in UK and are laying off staff big time. So why not to sell if someone is willing to buy. Even selling cheap.

According to news I've just read, it now appears that Ferrari will compete in 2010 confirmed, 5 teams have put conditions on their entry for 2010, Mercedes, Renault,Toyota, BMW Sauber, and Brawn, FIA have invited them to lift those conditions by the 19th June, three new teams are entered for 2010.

According to news I've just read, it now appears that Ferrari will compete in 2010 confirmed, 5 teams have put conditions on their entry for 2010, Mercedes, Renault,Toyota, BMW Sauber, and Brawn, FIA have invited them to lift those conditions by the 19th June, three new teams are entered for 2010.

There was now reports that Ferrari was added to the list against their will. I guess FIA did this based on their old agreement they have that Ferrari, and few others, have agreed to drive until 2012 or something. Just saw that Ferrari has now annouced that they still not agree on the rules and might not compete next year.

Edited by MJo

There was now reports that Ferrari was added to the list against their will. I guess FIA did this based on their old agreement they have that Ferrari, and few others, have agreed to drive until 2012 or something. Just saw that Ferrari has now annouced that they still not agree on the rules and might not compete next year.

Check this out MJo, http://www.formula2.com. wacky.

Check this out MJo, http://www.formula2.com. wacky.

Formula 1 dot com ?

Anyways Ferrari team boss already said on wednesday that they do not accept "automatic" entry from FIA.

Also today they published THIS after FIA annouced the teams.

Direct quote:

Ferrari shall not take part in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship until the conditions of its entry are satisfied

Maranello, 12th June 2009 - Following publication of the list of entries for the 2010 Formula One World Championship, which includes Ferrari as an unconditional entrant, Ferrari wishes to state the following:

Ferrari submitted on 29 May 2009 an entry to the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship which is subject to certain conditions. As of today, these conditions have not been met;

notwithstanding this and despite Ferrari's previous written notice to the FIA not to do so, the FIA has included Ferrari as a unconditional participant in next year's Formula One World Championship. For the avoidance of any doubt, Ferrari reaffirms that it shall not take part in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship under the regulations adopted by the FIA in violation of Ferrari's rights under a written agreement with the FIA.

Edited by MJo

Intresting to see what will happen. I still hope FIA will agree with the teams even if that means they have to step over Mad Max. Worst case scenario is that F1 ends up like boxing with a dozen of world champions :)

Intresting to see what will happen. I still hope FIA will agree with the teams even if that means they have to step over Mad Max. Worst case scenario is that F1 ends up like boxing with a dozen of world champions :D

Hi

Well the FIA have published the list of entrants for 2010.... Shows you what I know apart from USF1 they have granted 2 obscure teams a place. Campos F1 & Manor.

Now Dave Richards who put in an entry for Prodrive runs ultra successful Sports car and World Rally championship winning teams as well as being involved with Benetton and turning around the fortunes of the F1 Honda team (it only went tits up after he left) for him not to get an entry smacks of some hidden agenda.

If you truly have the good of the sport at heart surely a seasoned campaigner with a wealth of experience can add more to the show than some obscure F3 team running on a shoestring. I fear Mad (spanker) Max has some dark motives afoot.

Hope I am eventually proved wrong.

:) Sawadi

Now Dave Richards who put in an entry for Prodrive

Most odd Aston Martin [Richards Prodrive] and Lola both did not get a place as yet, both Brabham and Lotus did not get a place

Nice to see Cosworth back.

All 10 current Formula 1 teams have received entries for the 2010 world championship – but the controversy is set to rumble on, with five squads given a week to drop conditions or lose their slots

I have been trying to find out about the US F1 team but only says they are successful in Indy car racing, the two principals both have experience of F1 {although not as drivers} which should stand them in good stead but intend having American drivers.

Campos on the other hand has a principal who has raced as a F1 driver but actually performed dismally but is a successful team owner with good credentials in GP3 and GP2 and of course the team are used to competing on F1 type tracks.

The inclusion of the Manor Grix Team has a similar resume by all accounts as Campos but the puzzling thing is the exclusion of some of the other teams, not all but some.

It will be interesting to see just how good the US F1 team will perform but please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't a lot of american racing cars manufactured by brits.

Apart from two drivers that spring to mind {Phil Hill, and Mario Andretti} american drivers have not covered themselves in glory in previous F1 events, perhaps this time it will be different.

Most odd Aston Martin [Richards Prodrive] and Lola both did not get a place as yet, both Brabham and Lotus did not get a place

Nice to see Cosworth back.

All 10 current Formula 1 teams have received entries for the 2010 world championship – but the controversy is set to rumble on, with five squads given a week to drop conditions or lose their slots

[/quote

Perhaps Prodrive were not deemed to have had experience in open wheel single seat racing cars.

The biggest surprise for me was that Lola were not included, after all they have more experience of F1 than the other would be entrants.

The exclusion of the Brabham and Lotus teams was no real surprise as neither teams were related to the names they were using and the Brabham family were really angry about it same with Lotus according to reports.

Somewhat surprised that the US F1 entrant has said they intend to use American engineering skills and home grown talent on their assault of F1 whilst using a british engine, american drivers have not really impressed in F1 with the exception of Phil Hill and Mario Andretti but we will wait and see but good luck to them in 2010.

It will be an interesting race this weekend at Silverstone as it's such a fast track and some almost flat out corners, it may show what progress has been made by some teams as this could be about, out and out speed, roll on the weekend.

^^ Yes, i'm looking forward to it too.

What do you guys think about the British GP going to Donnington? Although it'll be sad to lose Silverstone, I have such great memories of Donnington from 93 when Senna went from fifth to first in the first lap and then went on to lap everyone bar Hill. A masterclass in the wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkb51nahylQ

[quote name='rixalex'

What do you guys think about the British GP going to Donnington? Although it'll be sad to lose Silverstone, I have such great memories of Donnington from 93 when Senna went from fifth to first in the first lap and then went on to lap everyone bar Hill. A masterclass in the wet.

I know Donningtons been around since 1931 but Silverstone is the track for me Ihave been there several times and always enjoyed it.

I remember the race, lucky bugger :) .