Closing The Bars At Midnight?

IanForbes

Why the need to drink?

Why the need to lecture people, Ajarn? :D

I'm simply stating my opinion, and asking a question. No lecturing from me, sir :o

go get a cup of tea. order some meal on the phone and get some rest Ajarn. I think u need it. It is quite hot outside as well and no sign of rain. put the A/C on while you're at it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Harry we try, I didn't think though that the discussion was limited to any particular type of bar and I am certaily not the only publican in CM that thinks that bars have a positive community benefit.

I also believe that alcohol (when consumed moderately) has a number of extremely positive benefits both on physical and mental health and on social interaction. Human being have been drinking socially for possibly as long as 12,000 years and while it has always been abused by a minority of drinkers, it has proved to be beneficial to the majority of society.

You're right Ajarn. I've also lived here a long time and I know that bars allow some Thai families to earn a living. That's unbearable. Close them all and send this people to the nearest job center.

Yes, and what a laudable living it is, right? :o

Laudable or not, who cares when there's rice in the plates? Not everyone is as wealthy as you.

I don't run a bar and I don't hang around them either but each is entitled to earn a living. If there's a demand, there must be a supply.

All work is honorable, isn't it ?

Yes. Better than living off of the government or others. There is honor in work - supporting one's family and contributing to society. Government involvement in restricting, taxing, etc. equals punishment of the incentive to be responsible/self-reliant.

I still want to know what the OP is whingeing about?

btw - OP you are right - the topic is totally off limits.

The authorities have been informed.

I guess it means that you hit the report button. Though you are perfectly entitled to do so, I believe that it would make more sense to skip the threads you don't like. That's what I always do.

This one is not breaking any forum rule. No one has traded insults so far. As far as I'm concerned all I can see is a "healthy" discussion and a bit of banter.

Edited by adjan jb

Why the need to drink?

Why the need to lecture people, Ajarn? :D

I'm simply stating my opinion, and asking a question. No lecturing from me, sir :o

go get a cup of tea. order some meal on the phone and get some rest Ajarn. I think u need it. It is quite hot outside as well and no sign of rain. put the A/C on while you're at it.

You forgot to tell me to go swimming, which I just did :D

I think the Law is a good idea. There is nothing wrong with allowing some Thai families more time with their spouse. Maybe some farang families could use it too. If it were my decision, I would close all of the bars. A Better Thailand, in my opinion. :o

No wonder the education system is so $%^&ed up in this country with views such as this.....................about as sensible as closing all the Thai restaurants and give the Thai workers a rest with there families...........

You just don't get it, do you?

Thailand has loads of these spurious, arbitrary, petty and relatively pointless laws.

The point is that it allows a myriad of government agencies, but principally the police, to continue to collect quite astounding amounts of money in kickbacks so they look the other way when these "crimes" are committed.

And some posts here are deleted with no reason and not the courtesy of an explanation............

Just assumed you understood what the term "flaming" meant and it was obvious, but in case you haven't read the forum rules. Take your pick of the ones highlighted.

"Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger."

And some posts here are deleted with no reason and not the courtesy of an explanation............

Just assumed you understood what the term "flaming" meant and it was obvious, but in case you haven't read the forum rules. Take your pick of the ones highlighted.

"Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger."

Then you would need to go back and take out all the other ' incite useless arguments' comments and posts made on this thread.

Closing bars at 12 as opposed to 1am is idiocy (might get accused of flaming here). One hour at that time of the day/night would make a difference to nobody and certainly not Thai families. Might make a small difference to the bar owner. So it is really just moving the deckchairs around pure and simple.

A better law, I think, would require all Farangs to report to bars, and consume a minimum of 100 baht of whatever, for three hours per day at hours when the traffic to and fro said bars did not interfere with school-traffic hours or work-related hours : say 11AM - 2 PM. That way bar employees can have dependable incomes, spend more time with their families. But, that would be a problem for me since 100 baht will buy six liters or more of soy milk on the street

Idea !

Limitless Visa-free stays for all foreigners, who spend at least 200B/day, in bars owned/recommended by the helpful Immigration police ? :o

After 20 years in the bar business, of course you are going to have a different story to tell about bars. As I do from my experience with them. Take away the alcohol and I would agree with you. Why the need to drink?

Why the need to smoke?

Why the need to have sex?

Why the need to eat food that tastes good?

Why the need to paint, write or sculpture?

Why the need for sports?

Why the need to enjoy life at all?

Why not just live like a slug or a snail and ooze along the ground?

Excess of just about EVERYTHING can be detrimental to your health. Humans were designed with a brain that thinks. WE should be allowed to make our own decisions. Why choose to live in a vegetable like state?

No more Spicy? :o

Good point Damian. I don't know HOW the law would affect that hovel. I always wondered how they were allowed to open when other bars had to close. Maybe they have some sort of special deal where they start late and stay open later.

No more Spicy? :D

Good point Damian. I don't know HOW the law would affect that hovel. I always wondered how they were allowed to open when other bars had to close. Maybe they have some sort of special deal where they start late and stay open later.

Could it have something to do with claiming they are a restaurant? :o

Why the need to smoke?

Why the need to have sex?

Why the need to eat food that tastes good?

Why the need to paint, write or sculpture?

Why the need for sports?

Why the need to enjoy life at all?

Why not just live like a slug or a snail and ooze along the ground?

Excess of just about EVERYTHING can be detrimental to your health. Humans were designed with a brain that thinks. WE should be allowed to make our own decisions. Why choose to live in a vegetable like state?

I kind of liked it. He certainly made his point. :o

damion5000

No more Spicy?

i was told by a bar owner the other day that hotshots and bubbles are allowed to open untill one am

but spicys can still for some reason ? stay open untill 3 am

is spicys still owned by the daughter of a senior policman ...... does anyone know ?

dave2

damion5000

No more Spicy?

i was told by a bar owner the other day that hotshots and bubbles are allowed to open untill one am

is spicys still owned by the daughter of a senior policman ...... does anyone know ?

dave2

About as sharp as a bowling ball. :o

damion5000

No more Spicy?

dave2

I heard that the owner had connections "Higher Up" in the police dept. Who knows? Who cares?

Ajarn has a point, you know. Other than knives and automatic weapons, nothing has cost more to society than the abuse of alcohol. As Milton Bentley points out, some folks can drink sensibly. Thais generally have problems handling their alcohol. Accidents, crimes of passion, mental illnesses, liver failure,etc. - all relate to alcohol abuse.

But this whole discussion is silly. You may think you have a constitutional right to get drunk, drive home, and beat your woman.