Expected Cotributions

longstebe

This topic will hopefully help out us newbies or people new to the village life.

I have been lucky enough to have visited my wifes village on many occasions but having never lived there I would imagine it to be a lot different.I have bought beer and whisky for people and really enjoyed the company and questions that come with it.Also I've had food cooked for me in return in abundance.

So, I am asking for the old timers(you will catch up with me one day for calling you this) to post what they have contributed to the village.

It can be from buying beer(or Lao Kao) for the locals to helping with temples or schools.And how often.

I spend a week of my 4 weeks leave (Work offshore 4wks on/off) up at the village. Pay for food for the week about 800bt, when leaving the GF asks for 3000bt for mama/papa. She already sends 5000bt a month to them from her job at 7/11 and what she saves from her monthly allowance (pays bills and food)

For the past few years not bought anyone in the village beer/food or dispensed money. Up to you what you do with your money, but its not mandatory to give outside the family Mom/Pop

I`m trying to help anyone in the local village and school who wants to learn English by making CD`s with courses on them just in the process now actually. I have also donated to the local school on occasions of parties etc.

Giving free booze to the locals is not always a good idea I have found.

If you decide to live in the village don't become the local party ATM. Just like back home, pick your friends, and take turns buying. That is how it works for me here.

As for helping out at the local school it will be greatly appreciated by both the villagers and the foreign English teachers here :o

Biggest thing about village life is find something to keep you busy. I think an internet connection is a necessity and satellite TV would be nice. I'm living without satellite TV but I need my internet connection. I teach English at the local high school so that keeps me busy.

I live in a small village and give perhaps too much, beer and spirits can be nice but very easy to over do.

Buy if u feel like it, i only do special occasions now, my birthday, wife's BD, 4th July and Christmas Eve.

About every two months i take a pickup or two full of family friends and kids tho the Bar R Que in Buriram, the beer is limited and I order it up front, very much enjoyed by all.

I buy ice cream for the local school once a year and for the little kid school on Mothers day.

I am usually ask to give to the schools which i really don't mind, i have purchased dance costumes twice for the local school, a couple of months ago I had a Thai friend who is a computer expert pick up a couple use computers for a reasonable sum and I gave those to the local school.

My wife gives 1K to the local temple about once a month.

Perhaps I should donate more but I am not certain if cash and even the computers are being used for the purpose I wanted, the betterment of the kids.

The more you give the more they want. Give only what u want not what is wanted. :o

We just gave 1,500 baht to the temple to help pay for their new roof. A lot of families gave more and some didn't give anything. Other than that we don't contribute much at all, just a few bits and bobs here and there at different festival times. When the temple roof is ready there will be a big party and each family takes a big pot of food. Hubby & I will pay for the ingrediants. I don't mind because mother-in-law will do the hard work of actually cooking it, so that works fine for me. :o

When I first rolled up to Thailand village life I partied and partied, drank loads, no problem, having a great time....I was young, and like yourself enjoyed the fun and interaction with the locals...it was a welcome and interesting change from party life in Phuket.

Years have passed and I have settled down and become a husband and father....thus taking a more responsible approach....I no longer provide alchohol in large quantities on a regular basis...a few visitors to the house will get the occasional beer.....hence the visitor rate has almost dried up!! One of my old aquaintances flagged up that I had become 'kineow' (mean).....I explained, now my children and wife come first...then my family....then if there is anything left I buy beer!!! My family are very comfortable with this arrangement...so is my wife,and that is what matters to me.

We are asked for donations for the school and oblige I don't recall how often in the year but no more than a couple of times. We also donate on childrens day. My wife takes care of the temple that is her area..I think food is sent on a regular basis.....I occasionally attend.

Enjoy your time here - I have no recriminations about any money I have spent in Thailand..........just an unpaid debt by a farang and his wife!!!!!

Give what you can afford; what you are comfortable with...and remember you can say no....be selective.... :o

In Sydney, my wife makes batches of take-away Thai food that I sell in the office and to friends.....we put that money in a piggy bank (adds up to a few hundred A$) and maybe once a year we go over to Surin where she buys (a pick-up truck full) exercise books, folders, shoes, pens etc.....for the local school...then put on a hot lunch for the students....goes over very well.

We never buy booze...errr, well not 100% true as I buy it for myself..hic.

My Thai friends would never arrive without a gift of some sort - beers or whiskey or food. Likewise if I visit their home I will provide the offerings.

I've done the village ATM thing. Never again. I look back in anger at the way that I used to drive the pick-up to the local Tescos, have a look behind me and half the village (bout 25 of them) is on board for a free ride. This is not cutural it is just having the piss taken out of you.

I will tamboon to the loacl temple but not always money. Books are often a good tamboon. I would rather give a school a computer than money that I know that will probably not go towards the maintenance of the school.

The farang that goes around flashing his cash in the village will be treated like a hero, but laughed about behind his back.

My Thai friends would never arrive without a gift of some sort - beers or whiskey or food. Likewise if I visit their home I will provide the offerings.

I've done the village ATM thing. Never again. I look back in anger at the way that I used to drive the pick-up to the local Tescos, have a look behind me and half the village (bout 25 of them) is on board for a free ride. This is not cutural it is just having the piss taken out of you.

I totally agree with you. And having taken the piss out of you, kept you hanging about whilst they eat their somtams, and then decided at the last minute that they all need to go en-masse to the toilet, not one even has the decency to say thank-you!

I've done it twice - the first time and the last time!

Edited by prakhonchai nick