My Girlfriend's A Nightmare On Holiday

Asianrider

Last week spent a couple of nights at Maneechan Resort on the outskirts of Chanthaburi, a couple of hours from Pattaya. Every morning I went into the bathroom and all the toiletries have been stripped out, EVERYTHING. When interrogated why, stock reponse "I give to my family". Is this normal ? Are thai's hoarders ? kleptomaniac's ? On the last morning I put my foot down otherwise the earthenware ashtray would have gone walkabout as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does she empty the mini bar as well? :o

Some people think that because they have paid for the room they are entitled to take anything that isn't actually part of the hotel structure. This concept is not limited just to Thais or any one nationality.

Does she empty the mini bar as well? :D

Some people think that because they have paid for the room they are entitled to take anything that isn't actually part of the hotel structure. This concept is not limited just to Thais or any one nationality.

Not limited to Thais.

When I was a kid my mom pulled the ol' "Let's take a couple of towels from the hotel as a momento gag." You cannot imagine her embarassment when the innkeeper came running to the car asking about the towels. :D She never showed her face around that place again. :o

TheWalkingMan

Freakin' annoying if you're a hotel owner!

I don't mind toiletries, we put them there to be used...

But remote's from televisions, A/C's and dvd players, the dvd players themselves, and the worst, towels. Disappear like there is no tomorrow :o

I know of a certain bloke that appropriates towels from both the swimming pool and rooms, dressing gowns, boxes of tissues, notepads and pens/pencils as well as all of the toiletries.

If it is not nailed down…

Yes very common with the ladies of what ever country, My guess they like to play show and tell with their girl friends. I'm Guilty to I take the little bottles of shampoo, hair net, just case I stay some where they are not available, yeah yeah I know what a Cheapo :o:D

Not really on the subject of pinching things from hotels, but the OP did ask the question "are Thais hoarders".

I would say the answer is yes to that. Most Thais I know, both male and female, rarely toss anything into the bin. Closets (if there are any) are jammed, there are boxes stacked all around the house and most level surfaces are filled with clutter. I'm sure not all Thais do this, but............................

Her thinking was more than likely that since you are paying for the room, youv'e paid for the toiletries too and therefore they belong to you/her!! :o

Surely by paying for the room you HAVE paid for the toiletries. Why are they they there?

My wife secretly stashed about 30 towels during the course of a 9 month stay in a serviced apartment! When we got to our new condo I was shocked when she pulled them out (the towels!)

She still does it now and again if we stay at hotels, but I stop her if I see her do it.

Her thinking was more than likely that since you are paying for the room, youv'e paid for the toiletries too and therefore they belong to you/her!! :o

Surely by paying for the room you HAVE paid for the toiletries. Why are they they there?

the amenities provided in the bathroom are to be used by guests as part of the use of the room, not as replacement bathroom kit for the home or extended family !!

I see a lot of hotel towels now etc are clearly branded with the hotel's name in case they are "inadvertantly" appropriated.

Not really on the subject of pinching things from hotels, but the OP did ask the question "are Thais hoarders".

I would say the answer is yes to that. Most Thais I know, both male and female, rarely toss anything into the bin. Closets (if there are any) are jammed, there are boxes stacked all around the house and most level surfaces are filled with clutter. I'm sure not all Thais do this, but............................

I can confirm that my gf father is the greatest hoarder I have ever seen. The otherday whilst re-roofing the house we were trimming the rear corner off the cement roof tiles & he proudly announced to me that he was going to keep this small section of roof tile, to which I replied, <deleted> for? He offered his usual excuse, "We can use it later".

There is <deleted> everywhere around the property.....I have started bundling up the steel, must be more than a tonne of it laying around the place & the other day I found Thailands first Rice dehusker....bit of oil and its working too....probably worth something to someone........if it was up to me I would put a torch to the whole lot DRIVES ME CRAZY! :o

My little hoarder wife (sounds awful that really) seems to have an affinity for;

- free items from carrefour when you collect the stamps (which remain unused & still in their boxes)

- free items from 7-Eleven when you collect the stamps " " " " " " " "

- free items in general.

- shoes (well, free shoes come to think of it).

I confess however to being guilty when it comes to swiping toiletries from hotels on occasion.

:o

Monty do the maids not check the room when the customer checks out. Surely they would notice a missing DVD player?

Missing remotes must be very frustrating!

They try to.

But we are a relative small operation, so our maids are only present during office hours, on top of that we work a lot with groups, meaning that sometimes 10 or more rooms check out simultaneously...

Not always easy :o

DVD only happened once though!

It's the remotes which annoy me the most, heck not everybody has the same LG AC's as I have, or do they?

Monty do the maids not check the room when the customer checks out. Surely they would notice a missing DVD player?

They try to.

But we are a relative small operation, so our maids are only present during office hours, on top of that we work a lot with groups, meaning that sometimes 10 or more rooms check out simultaneously...

Not always easy :D

It's the remotes which annoy me the most, heck not everybody has the same LG AC's as I have, or do they?

I always wondered where all those remotes for sale at the markets came from!!! :o

Yep go to any Thai house regardless of wealth and you will find stuff wrapped up in supermarket plastic bags and stowed away for future use. They will drink 9/10ths of a bottle of milk/orange juice/name a drink and instead of just finishing it off.. In the fridge/cupboard it goes.. Same with pretty much anything.. If they don't put it in a cupboard they pile it up outside.. Packrats !

Only thing good is if you need to get rid of any old junk your Thai neighbor will happily take it off your hands.. Six Months later you will be able to see it in his backyard propped up against the wall..

My mates missus had a whole cupboard just filled with plastic bags... Thousands of them ! and elastic bands too.. five years worth of takeaway meals and every elastic band saved.. but never reused ! Just left to gather dust in a drawer... TIT !

Freakin' annoying if you're a hotel owner!

I don't mind toiletries, we put them there to be used...

But remote's from televisions, A/C's and dvd players, the dvd players themselves, and the worst, towels. Disappear like there is no tomorrow :o

Have many Indians stay at your hotel do you. I think they would take the wall paper if they could!

They try to.

Not always easy :o

Maybe you should hand out the remotes at reception when people check in and charge a refundable deposit.

Ive staye'd in a few Hotels where there were maid's and the wife's underwear kept going missing. Usually through the day when the room was cleaned.

The maid's AND the wife's undies? What was the hotel maid doing leaving her undies in your room?

You don't have to answer that question :o , I will allow you to claim the fifth amendment :D .