Passport Photo

tattoodrob

If near the Big "C" mall on 2nd road turn onto small soi at the corner where the Subway sandwich shop is located walk/drive about 100 meters and there is a photo shop on the left side opposite the Big C. They do good work and have a photo sample book to choose what you want in size and such but they understand "passport" photo. 5 minutes to take a pic and 1 hour to get the pics.

But as said there are shops all over the place.

Hope you're not Belgian.

The Belgian embassy used to have an office clerk who refused all passport photo's, regardless of correct size, to shoo you off to the nearest Kodak shop where she obviously got kick backs from....

If the OP is a Brit, he should be aware that they have pretty strict rules on passport pictures and it recently took me 3 attempts to get pictures they accepted. There's a website with downloadable guidelines and the final key is in the quality of printing.

That's one thing I like about the Thai passport system, they take the picture at the time of application on their systems cameras and there's no pissing around with sizes, formats, colours, etc..

As Nanlaew said the UK are pretty strict on it now, not just size but background colour. proportions, no smiling etc. I used a shop on 2nd road a few doors down from Lek Hotel. I printed off a copy of the guidelines from the UKPA website and gave them to them. They didn't have the right colour background but they photoshopped it and it was accepted first time.

I went to Big C one time, to a Photo Shop, asked for passport photo's. Got to Bangkok and the chap at the office said that they were no good, they had to be bigger than what i was given, and also they had to have a white background. Your face has to be VERY close - The ones that Big C took of me, were small, with a blue background and i was quite far away. Wherever you go, ask to look at the sample book before you choose. You can also get them done close to the Embassy in Bangkok.

hello, yes its for UK passport hence looking for a shop that specifically has done it right first time before, ive got the rules on the pic and any old shop can take a picture but it has to be correct everything for the Embassy to accept and im applying by mail so dont need any hassle..........while im here i will ask if anyone else applied and who did they get to sign the back of photo and countersign application form..will anyone do??

I got my lawyer (Thai) to do it and she didn't even charge me! I have known her for over 3 years so it was legit, but I am sure she would say that she knows you for a small fee. Alternately you will need a UK professional (doctor, lawyer etc) who happens to be on holiday.

I got my lawyer (Thai) to do it and she didn't even charge me! I have known her for over 3 years so it was legit, but I am sure she would say that she knows you for a small fee. Alternately you will need a UK professional (doctor, lawyer etc) who happens to be on holiday.

i think the form says a british passport holder has to do it so i dont know how the thai lawyer was accepted, it will be pretty hard to find a Uk Professional here.....im in Pattaya !

i think the form says a british passport holder has to do it so i dont know how the thai lawyer was accepted, it will be pretty hard to find a Uk Professional here.....im in Pattaya !

If you are replacing a passport while you are overseas, they generally waive that countersignature being someone like a police officer or local government or doctor. In this event, another British citizen acquaintance can countersign. Maybe Barry Kenyon at the Jomtien Honourary British Consular Office can do it?

Regards passport picture, I did my application via mail (I was offshore Vietnam) and the letters of rejection were handled by my dad back in Scotland. I had a 5 megapixel camera, took the picture myself and emailed the jpg to my dad who printed it out. They rejected that due to the print quality so he emailed the jpg to Jessops who printed them 'professionally' and they were finally accepted.

Edited by NanLaew

The advent of the new biometric passports have caused a number of problems for the unsuspecting honest folk.

First you have to tell the shop which country you need the passport photo for. eg

the Aussiae need a photo with the face being between 24-28mm from chin to crown of the head, a light or white background is needed, no smiling permitted.

The English passport has to have a white background and the same head measurement has to be 22-25 mm.

The Dutch passport requires a photo with the measurement from ear to ear 18-22mm.

The Indonesians want a red background, the malaysians want a blue one.

The Irish and Canadians will accept black and white and the Danish prefer black and white, everyone else demands colour.

The US, Canada and some south American countries want 50x50mm the Portugese want 25x25mm, the Italians are different again and most of the rest use the standard 25x35mm photo.

Some countries want to include an ear, either right as in Germany or left for Poland. (This has changed for some countries to the straight on mug shot, so your existing photo is no guarentee.)

No there is no standard over the EU. :D

They all want photgraphic paper not inkjet, so they can rescan and make a number of biometric measurements. These rules can be interpreted very differently by different embassies and consulates. Customers have had the same photo rejected at one consulate and accepted at another, this is Australia, so in Thailand the rules can be very different. Get the instructions from the coutry web site in English and Thai to make sure there is little room for negotiation. With the instructions it is relatively easy to do on most digital labs.

Good luck. :o