10,000 Police, Soldiers, Security Officials Deployed To Keep Security At Government House

george

Shinawatra family left Thailand

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 8/04/2009 at 02:29 PM

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's family reportedly left Thailand while the pro-Thaksin United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) staged a mass anti-government rally in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Thaksin's former wife, Khunying Potjaman Damapong, and their daughter, Paethongtan, flew to Hong Kong. Another daughter, Pinthongtha, departed to England. Their son, Panthongtae, headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Thaksin's brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and his wife, Yaowapha Wongsawat, also left the country, according to reports.

Source - http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...y-left-thailand

Looks like the kitchen is getting a bit too hot for the ol' Shinawatra clan. Bets on when any will be back? Sad that it has to be the poor and disenfranchised, fighting this rich man's fight.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I have been getting SMS from supposedly people deeply entranced in the red group. (I.e. hardcore reds, not spies.)

With stories how clips of Sonthi having 'relations' with a high lady was filmed (and shown, with nudity), how planning of the military + PAD + democrats was filmed [by the 'US' :o ] and shown on the stage and so on...

Is anyone on location or watching the 'red tv' that can verify?

For me the stories sounds too far out there, but they really believe them...so...

I have no ideas about those stories, TAWP, but what I do know it, that what Newin said yesterday, in the live news conference, was totally twisted and sometimes turned around on the red shirt stage later. My wife and I were watching both and she was disgusted about the way they lied about what Newin was supposed to have said in the interview. I think the Reds just make it up as they go.

Again, the same old thing..."If you tell a lie, tell a big one and more people will believe you"

You forget to mention that you attended the PAD rallies at Government house. Weren't they using exactly the same manipulation and brainwashing tactics ?

It seems that media lines are being drawn as well. Bangkok Post's website has been on again/ off again all day, and The Nation has a large splashpage proclaiming "red power" as its homepage.

Sad times for Thailand. Some people have shown their true colours, more interested in money than the culture and royalty of their country. They are clearly out for blood, and will try to wipe their hands clean on the almighty baht.

Not surprised at the big numbers. There are a lot of powerful people involved in organising this to add to the already committed red regulars. Pathum Thani and Chachoengsao could easily be providing 20-30K people between them add on Bangkok and you already have a lot of people.

However, what happens is maybe more critical than the pure numbers.

Thaksin's family leaves Thailand

BANGKOK, April 8 (Xinhua) -- Three children of exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra have left Thailand, a TV network reported Wednesday.

Panthongthae Shinawatra, son of Thaksin left Thailand on Tuesday night and Pintongta Shinawatra, eldest daughter left on Tuesday morning while Paethongtan, the yonger daughter left the country on Monday, without elaborating their destinations, Channel 3 reported.

Last week, the three children of Thaksin, took part in a public event at a book fair to launch their book, titled "Others call him PM, but we call him Dad".

When asked to say her feeling towards Thaksin, Paetongtarn said with tears in her eyes that she would like Thaksin to return to Thailand to be home with three siblings.

Several TV stations said that Pojaman Damapong, ex-wife of Thaksin, and his brother-in-law, former PM Somchai Wongsawat had also left the country.  

Ok, so I have been getting SMS from supposedly people deeply entranced in the red group. (I.e. hardcore reds, not spies.)

With stories how clips of Sonthi having 'relations' with a high lady was filmed (and shown, with nudity), how planning of the military + PAD + democrats was filmed [by the 'US' :o ] and shown on the stage and so on...

For me the stories sounds too far out there, but they really believe them...so...

I have no ideas about those stories, TAWP, but what I do know it, that what Newin said yesterday, in the live news conference, was totally twisted and sometimes turned around on the red shirt stage later. My wife and I were watching both and she was disgusted about the way they lied about what Newin was supposed to have said in the interview. I think the Reds just make it up as they go.

Again, the same old thing..."If you tell a lie, tell a big one and more people will believe you"

Well, the SMS I get would clearly indicate LM-charges if broadcasted/announced/mentioned...which is part of my doubt it would ever be shown, even on stage on location...

Well, the SMS I get would clearly indicate LM-charges if broadcasted/announced/mentioned...which is part of my doubt it would ever be shown, even on stage on location...

Aren't most of the red leaders already up on those charges any, pending trial? In for a penny, in for a pound! You notice that the rich man and his kids are long gone? They are "history"! .

Edited by jbowman1993

I know several Thai ladies attending this rally , they are all normally yellow shirts .

Today however the temptation of a free Red shirt and 500 baht to attend was just

too much to knock back .

Aren't most of the red leaders already up on those charges any, pending trial? In for a penny, in for a pound! You notice that the rich man and his kids are long gone? They are "history"! .

He who laughs last , laughs best.

Thai Protesters Spit at Reporter for Understating Rally Number

Red-shirted protesters spat at a TV channel reporter for what they claimed an understatement of their number on Wednesday during a mass rally in Bangkok, Thai media reported.

According to the website of the Nation, the reporter was saying in a live broadcast that tens of thousands of protesters joined the pro-Thaksin mass rally before the whole Channel 3's mobile broadcast unit was surrounded by protesters.

The red-shirts, at the massive rally led by United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), said the number of the protesters has reached 100,000 already, the Nation said.

Some threw water and bottles on the crew team while some criticized the team of being biased and taking sides with the government.

Police then intervened to help the broadcast team out, with some protesters following and yelling.

Wednesday's mass rally has been scheduled by UDD as a final " showdown" to the government, and since 9:00 a.m. (0200 GMT), red-clad people have begun to assemble and moved toward three locations -- Government House, the Royal Plaza and Privy Council president Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda's Si Sao Theves residence.

About 80,000 red-shirted protesters attended the event, close to the number Metropolitan Police had estimated, said Thai Prime Minister Abhisit, quoted by the Bangkok Post website.

The UDD core leaders had estimated earlier that at least 100, 000 red-shirts will participate in their biggest-ever rally to topple the Abhisit government.

Ousted ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra over the past week addressed through video-link to the red shirts, accusing certain privy councilors, particularly Prem, of masterminding the 2006 coup that toppled his government. He also called on his supporters to join this mass rally.

The latest round of protests in Bangkok has entered the 14th day, and since March 27 all of the entrances of the Government House have been blocked by the anti-government protesters, preventing Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his cabinet ministers from entering to work.

- Xinhua / 2009-04-08

Thaksin's family leaves Thailand

BANGKOK, April 8 (Xinhua) -- Three children of exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra have left Thailand, a TV network reported Wednesday.

Panthongthae Shinawatra, son of Thaksin left Thailand on Tuesday night and Pintongta Shinawatra, eldest daughter left on Tuesday morning while Paethongtan, the yonger daughter left the country on Monday, without elaborating their destinations, Channel 3 reported.

Last week, the three children of Thaksin, took part in a public event at a book fair to launch their book, titled "Others call him PM, but we call him Dad".

When asked to say her feeling towards Thaksin, Paetongtarn said with tears in her eyes that she would like Thaksin to return to Thailand to be home with three siblings.

Several TV stations said that Pojaman Damapong, ex-wife of Thaksin, and his brother-in-law, former PM Somchai Wongsawat had also left the country.  

Hmmm....by now, I think that most of those REDS should realise thattTheir RED leader is gonna'stay in hiding, no matter what happens. His family making a run for it, is not a good sign for the RED cause. :o

Personally, if I do have to follow somebody (and I would much rather lead), I would follow someone who is in front of me, leading me against the enemy, rather than somebody's ramblings, who is hiding in another country, waiting for others to do his dirty work, with no regard for human life and no respect for his adversaries.

Anyways, I just watched the new Fast and Furious movie this afternoon, much more interesting and exciting than watching a bunch of misguided REDS jumping up and down and beating up the media. :D

Hence why I am seeking confirmation.

Abhisit is remarkably cool and also fairly visible. Interesting, is he naturally like this or just confident or overconfident?

I'd like to think that he's acting like a leader. Its been so long since we've seen one in Thailand, I know it is hard to fathom :o

Anyone else hoping that it rains today? I keep hoping... Would be nice to cool down hot tempers.

Where are those water tank trucks (filled with yellow food colouring) and those water cannons, when you need them? ;-)

He who laughs last , laughs best.

That maybe so, but I am having a pretty good laugh right now, watching Somchai run with his tail between his legs. lol

In all honesty guys this may not be a laughing matter if people, whatever their poltical persuasion, start getting hurt or worse. This is a big rally and speeches could increase anger. The authorites must also be nervous. That is not a good combination. However, lets hope for the best.

Abhisit is remarkably cool and also fairly visible. Interesting, is he naturally like this or just confident or overconfident?

He's Eton, Oxford educated, comes from a fairly well-off background, has backing and support from the Bangkok elite, the Army and the Royal Palace, has nothing to fear.

I think, after attending British Football games, nothing can rattle him. ;-)

Seriously though, he is a practiced speaker and is probably taking a lot of deep breaths, before adressing the media today.

Abhisit interview on BBC right now....

I think the whole affair will blow over by songkran. The only thing the PM needs to do is call an early vacation for the house and the government. Tell all the MPs to go home for the holidays. I'm pretty sure most protesters won't hold out for that long. That just leaves the reds against the Gen Prem and the council. It will be a very bad if the peasants face off against the royalists.

If the reds want to speed things up I have a feeling it has already been planned. Attack the media, institutions like banks, suffocate bkk, maybe even a few bombings and assasinations. That just forces the government to go on an offensive which is just what the reds want, to bring the country closer to a revolution..

Hmmm....by now, I think that most of those REDS should realise thattTheir RED leader is gonna'stay in hiding, no matter what happens. His family making a run for it, is not a good sign for the RED cause. :o

Personally, if I do have to follow somebody (and I would much rather lead), I would follow someone who is in front of me, leading me against the enemy, rather than somebody's ramblings, who is hiding in another country, waiting for others to do his dirty work, with no regard for human life and no respect for his adversaries.

Anyways, I just watched the new Fast and Furious movie this afternoon, much more interesting and exciting than watching a bunch of misguided REDS jumping up and down and beating up the media. :D

Actually, I agree with something I read in the post a couple of days ago, that this is more about Thaksin's last attempt to recoup (sorry, bad pun) his frozen assets than anything political. I think the final ruling happens in 2 months, so he is trying to stir things up while he can.

These people don't realise that they aren't fighting for freedom or democracy, they're just fighting one greedy man's war to suck all the marrow he can out of his former country.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't really care about red or yellow, I just want to see that crazed dog removed from his remote-control influence over this country so that the Thai people can focus on keeping their heads above water in this financial crisis.

I think, after attending British Football games, nothing can rattle him. ;-)

Seriously though, he is a practiced speaker and is probably taking a lot of deep breaths, before adressing the media today.

Abhisit interview on BBC right now....

Total coolness and composure. Compared to that guy with the big nose.

Hmmm....by now, I think that most of those REDS should realise thattTheir RED leader is gonna'stay in hiding, no matter what happens. His family making a run for it, is not a good sign for the RED cause. :D

Actually, I agree with something I read in the post a couple of days ago, that this is more about Thaksin's last attempt to recoup (sorry, bad pun) his frozen assets than anything political. I think the final ruling happens in 2 months, so he is trying to stir things up while he can.

These people don't realise that they aren't fighting for freedom or democracy, they're just fighting one greedy man's war to suck all the marrow he can out of his former country.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't really care about red or yellow, I just want to see that crazed dog removed from his remote-control influence over this country so that the Thai people can focus on keeping their heads above water in this financial crisis.

BRAVO! :o you are not alone with that wish!

I think Suthep is being a tad overoptimistic if he thinks only 20K

I am not sure if the government has a good secret plan to outsmart them, or if they are simply silly.

let the two guys who damaged the car in Pattaya isn't a good sign.

I don't know in other countries, but in my country they would walk out of a police station also, after the paper work is dun. They will have to go to court later. Not a big deal at all.

Once they throw eggs to the belgian king, after 2 hours they where back on the streets. Not even went to court.