Driving Habits

damian

My driving experience on Friday:

Driving the daughter to school travelling along Vichit Road when out from coconut bungalows shoots a motorbike with 3 people on board (mum dad and kid), no helmets, stays in the right lane in front of me then charges through Chalong circle with a nice left swerve to avoid being hit by a pick up which had to slam on his brakes becasue he failed to look first. He beat me to the school by several minutes as he was leaving after having dropped his kid off and I was just arriving.

Picking the daughter up from school another guy comes to collect his two toddlers (maybe 4 years old) on a motorbike puts one on the front and one on the back. Lights up a fag and drives off with the cigarette just cm from the kids head. Again no helmets for any of them. First speed bump or pot hole and what happens?

Closer to home I'm about to turn right into my soi off the Nai Harn road and waiting for opposing traffic to clear. When it does I check my mirror and have to stay there because a guy on a big bike, no helmet, is overtaking me (and two other cars waiting behind me) while I'm trying to turn. Lovely.

All this is nothing new and I often experience worse than this in an average day driving around the island. What prompted me to post was that all the driviers of these bikes were falangs and for the first two obviously residents here.

I guess we all pick up some local habits living here but driving like this should not be one of them. I am not the worlds most perfect driver I'm sure but I do try and set a good example when I'm on te road.

it makes my blood boil when I see falangs riding motorbikes with their children and none have helmets on. my driving habits have changed since living here and driving here for 5 years but I sill make sure my little boy is in his car seat and buckled in correctly.

It always amazes me that the most rude and aggressive drivers nearly always seem to be farangs. Many locals drive like they are the only person on the road and whatever they do; including suddenly stopping in the fast lane will have no effect on anybody else! I am getting used to it now, expect someone will do something stupid........they usually do! :o

I am driving around Phuket every day between 100-300 kilometers.

Many times I just feel sick to see all these things on a daily basis.

Yesterday I witnessed an accident between Thalang and the airport..............motorbike driver with sidecar tried to change lanes from left to right side, first rolled over from a huge truck than a bus.

Gerd

Posts are all mainly correct, I can relate.

Thing is, if I rode and used common sense, I would have been kilt 5 years ago.

When in Rome........etc.

SO, when in LoS do as LoS does.

You're correct.........I do the same to survive in this chaos.

Sometimes I think when I would drive in the same way in my home country I would have to pay a couple of thousands of Euros...................daily :o .

Gerd

Posts are all mainly correct, I can relate.

Thing is, if I rode and used common sense, I would have been kilt 5 years ago.

When in Rome........etc.

SO, when in LoS do as LoS does.

You're correct.........I do the same to survive in this chaos.

Sometimes I think when I would drive in the same way in my home country I would have to pay a couple of thousands of Euros...................daily :o .

Gerd

All of us have probably been forced to change our driving habits to accomodate the local style of driving but my post is not about that. Its about the lack of common sense being displayed by falangs who should bloody well know better. The "when in Rome" factor in this regard is just plain ignorance.

1) use of word falang in phuket: you have learned the mispronounciation from an issan girl, so you have an bargirl friend

2) you goto a public school, you're an english teacher, ex sexpat now reformed with married bargirl

3) other farangs with 2 kids on motorbike are english teacher, retired sexpats

This drives me more insane than the bad drivers. everyone has their thing. Their bad driving is just natural selection trying to do its thing.

1) use of word falang in phuket: you have learned the mispronounciation from an issan girl, so you have an bargirl friend

2) you goto a public school, you're an english teacher, ex sexpat now reformed with married bargirl

This drives me more insane than the bad drivers. everyone has their thing. Their bad driving is just natural selection trying to do its thing.

You know, what a load of garbage both your post and your handle is.

For #1, "r"'s an "L"'s are commonly exchanged in Asian to English languages, not only Thai, and for you to assume that the poster has learned this from "an isaan girl, bargirl friend" is such a load of BS that it makes me want to puke. Ever heard a Japanese person pronounce an "L"?

Same with #2. Who are you to make such assumptions, oh, I know, some paranoid fool worried that people will think he is here having sex, that he chooses on a public forum "notasexpat" as his moniker.

Looks like 'Syl' is starting to show his true colours ... yet again

My guess is asexpat only posts on TV to try to get a rise out of other BM's, or he is mentally challenged, as is evidenced by is nonsensical wandering posts, and his many typos, poor grammar and spelling.

I mean, how does one know how someone else is pronouncing something when it's written? Of course we all know, and as huggybear pointed out, "L" and "R" are the same when transliterating Thai to English, thus farang and falang are both equally correct. And it should be pronounced "FUH-long."

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have to admit I was completely prejudiced when I read your post, I was picturing Thai's at the wheel in each story, but it's very true, I have noticed a lot a falang as well. The purpleish/brownish newer Mitsubishi 2-door pick-up or the yellow Porshe, both in Kata, come to mind. You know who you are.

ill bet 10k she's an ex whore

that is American dollards btw. Huggy why do you attack people on this forum when you are the prime example of the broke lowlife living in thailand to furfill is long life dream of almost being middle class?

Now that you've found an 80 iq companion to touch you down there, you feel powerfull?

Im sick and tired of people whining about retards. The farangs in this story are obviously chavs, chavs are dumb and will always be dumb.

OP is a chav that cant send his kids to private school in a third world country or even buy a car to protect his kid from other chavs.

If there were no chavs involved, the driving would not be an issue because no matter how many monkeys they are on the road. Your pretty safe in your RAV4 at slow speeds.

My guess is asexpat only posts on TV to try to get a rise out of other BM's, or he is mentally challenged, as is evidenced by is nonsensical wandering posts, and his many typos, poor grammar and spelling.

I mean, how does one know how someone else is pronouncing something when it's written? Of course we all know, and as huggybear pointed out, "L" and "R" are the same when transliterating Thai to English, thus farang and falang are both equally correct. And it should be pronounced "FUH-long."

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have to admit I was completely prejudiced when I read your post, I was picturing Thai's at the wheel in each story, but it's very true, I have noticed a lot a falang as well. The purpleish/brownish newer Mitsubishi 2-door pick-up or the yellow Porshe, both in Kata, come to mind. You know who you are.

Ok so you are proud of your ex bar girl heritage good for you.

Theres many words to say poop, yet some are vulgar like shit ans asscrap + many others.(Chavs love the bad ones)

same goes for farang and falang, show me one thai from a good high family using the L in public.(edit: from a high family thats from bangkok or phuket.. theres nothing classy about issan)

Edited by notasexpat

the yellow Porsche, both in Kata, come to mind. You know who you are.

Yes, I have often driven a long Chaofa West in the morning rush hour (and I'm a quick driver) to have the yellow Porsche flash into rear mirror, and then flash by in the most rude driving style...

Theres many words to say poop, yet some are vulgar like shit ans asscrap + many others.(Chavs love the bad ones)

same goes for farang and falang, show me one thai from a good high family using the L in public.

so littlegoat has found a new moniker

80 IQ, looks like the bar girls are brighter than you

It is tough enough staying safe using all my 50 years of driving experience to make it to and from, no way would ever adapt some of the bad habits I see some of the locals do, i.e., jumping the red light, run the stop sign, I honestly think most do not know it mean FULL stop, turning right on a red light when a green signal arrow is available, to many to name here so I will ZIP IT :D:o

the yellow Porsche, both in Kata, come to mind. You know who you are.

Yes, I have often driven a long Chaofa West in the morning rush hour (and I'm a quick driver) to have the yellow Porsche flash into rear mirror, and then flash by in the most rude driving style...

Yeah...I wonder if that's the rich girl I hear about living in Rawai or Nai harn or something. She's got a few cars like that I heard. Shes got a black thing now too I think. Porshe or Ferrari I think.

same goes for farang and falang, show me one thai from a good high family using the L in public.(edit: from a high family thats from bangkok or phuket.. theres nothing classy about issan)

<deleted>?

Wait....Wait....I think he's trying to say something......

Yeah...I wonder if that's the rich girl I hear about living in Rawai or Nai harn or something. She's got a few cars like that I heard. Shes got a black thing now too I think. Porshe or Ferrari I think.

Think the yellow Porsche is a farang/falang guy. But I have noticed a red Ferrari in the Kata/Patong area these past couple of weeks.

Think the yellow Porsche is a farang/falang guy. But I have noticed a red Ferrari in the Kata/Patong area these past couple of weeks.

It is a farang couple, they live in my soi, they live between Bangkok and Phuket.

I have spoke to him before and had me in for a beer, seem like nice people.

Has quite the collection of cars.

He has Thai friends from Patong who visit with crazy ferrari's.

Yesterday I witnessed an accident between Thalang and the airport..............motorbike driver with sidecar tried to change lanes from left to right side, first rolled over from a huge truck than a bus.

Gerd

Maybe this is the accident that Gerd witnessed ...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Man run over by bus in Thalang

bull3292009-7208-1.jpgSalaeng driver Mr Russadee, who credits his crash helmet with saving his life.

bull3292009-7208-4.jpgThe tour bus that ran over Mr Maitree.

THEPKRASATTRI, PHUKET: A motorbike driver run over by a bus is the latest fatality in a road accident involving a salaeng, or motorcycle fitted with an illegal sidecar.

Thalang Police Duty Officer Adul Nirapai identified the victim as 28-year-old Maitree Kulpor.

Mr Maitree was riding his motorbike at high speed on Thepkrasattri Rd southbound in Ban Muangmai near the Susco gas station when he slammed into the rear of a salaeng driven by 30-year-old Russadee Samae, a native of Pattani.

The force of the impact sent Mr Maitree, who was not wearing a helmet, flying though the air.

He landed 10 meters away in the passing lane, where he was killed instantly after being run over by a double-deck tour bus operated buy the Chaiwut Jaruphan tour company.

There were no passengers on board at the time.

The salaeng, laden with a large cooler full of milk, also carried a 15-year-old boy identified only as Bareng.

Most salaeng drivers on the island eschew safety helmets, but fortunately for Mr Russadee he was wearing one at the time of the accident.

Showing the Gazette where the helmet cracked down the middle from the force of the impact when his head hit the pavement, he said, “Maitree was driving very fast and hit the back of my salaeng very hard, causing me and Bareng to come off. The salaeng ended up about five meters away near the median strip.”

Thanks to the helmet, Mr Russadee suffered only minor injuries to his left ankle. The boy suffered a laceration to his left foot. It required 18 stitches to close.

Bus driver Samai Tongnoppakhun, 35, told police he was unable to stop the bus in time.

Mr Maitree’s body was taken to Thalang Hospital by Kusoldharm Foundation workers.

Police are still investigating the crash and have yet to establish who was at fault.

The crash comes less than five months after an accident on the same road that left two bus passengers dead and 30 injured.

That accident was caused by a salaeng on the wrong side of the road that veered suddenly, causing the bus driver to lose control of the vehicle.

Using modified motorbikes is against Thai traffic law but the laws are rarely enforced in Phuket, which has an average road accident mortality rate of about one victim per day.

When is a bar girl not a bar gir??? When her boyfriend gets her a job in

A.Dive Shop as customer service

B.Restaurant as waitress/cashier

C.Beauty Salon as nail therapist

D.Any other menial position that he has a friend with business.

:o:D:D:D:D

Gerd

Maybe this is the accident that Gerd witnessed ...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Man run over by bus in Thalang

bull3292009-7208-1.jpgSalaeng driver Mr Russadee, who credits his crash helmet with saving his life.

bull3292009-7208-4.jpgThe tour bus that ran over Mr Maitree.

THEPKRASATTRI, PHUKET: A motorbike driver run over by a bus is the latest fatality in a road accident involving a salaeng, or motorcycle fitted with an illegal sidecar.

Thalang Police Duty Officer Adul Nirapai identified the victim as 28-year-old Maitree Kulpor.

Mr Maitree was riding his motorbike at high speed on Thepkrasattri Rd southbound in Ban Muangmai near the Susco gas station when he slammed into the rear of a salaeng driven by 30-year-old Russadee Samae, a native of Pattani.

The force of the impact sent Mr Maitree, who was not wearing a helmet, flying though the air.

He landed 10 meters away in the passing lane, where he was killed instantly after being run over by a double-deck tour bus operated buy the Chaiwut Jaruphan tour company.

There were no passengers on board at the time.

The salaeng, laden with a large cooler full of milk, also carried a 15-year-old boy identified only as Bareng.

Most salaeng drivers on the island eschew safety helmets, but fortunately for Mr Russadee he was wearing one at the time of the accident.

Showing the Gazette where the helmet cracked down the middle from the force of the impact when his head hit the pavement, he said, "Maitree was driving very fast and hit the back of my salaeng very hard, causing me and Bareng to come off. The salaeng ended up about five meters away near the median strip."

Thanks to the helmet, Mr Russadee suffered only minor injuries to his left ankle. The boy suffered a laceration to his left foot. It required 18 stitches to close.

Bus driver Samai Tongnoppakhun, 35, told police he was unable to stop the bus in time.

Mr Maitree's body was taken to Thalang Hospital by Kusoldharm Foundation workers.

Police are still investigating the crash and have yet to establish who was at fault.

The crash comes less than five months after an accident on the same road that left two bus passengers dead and 30 injured.

That accident was caused by a salaeng on the wrong side of the road that veered suddenly, causing the bus driver to lose control of the vehicle.

Using modified motorbikes is against Thai traffic law but the laws are rarely enforced in Phuket, which has an average road accident mortality rate of about one victim per day.

Yes Alex,

This was the accident :o

I have a photo taken inside from my car but I will be to hard to post it here..........

Gerd

>>Using modified motorbikes is against Thai traffic law but the laws are rarely enforced in Phuket, which has an average road accident mortality rate of about one victim per day.

Accidents would definitely be less if they actually enforced the law against these death mobiles. How many times per day do you see them riding the wrong way, riding in the fast lane, or stopped on the side of the road blocking one lane.