Sattelite Tv And Internet Providers?

MyphuketLife

does anyone know of a sattelite company in Phuket that offers both TV and internet services? I am sick of my "adsl" and the horrible load times if sites load at all.... early 90's 56K modem was a far better internet experience than Thailands "adsl"...

I think TT&T premium service is really good. maybe you have a TOT line?

As for you OP... couple of months ago I talked to Patong Cable as they will be starting a pilot scheme for combined cable/internet through a decoder box in your home. Think they were talking about April 2009 start service. Ask your local area cable operator whether they are going to have this option.

There was talk some years ago about UBC (now True) have internet capability through their TV dish. Think it's only available in Bangkok, but worth contacting UBC/True.

I will contact my cable compan, and true...

The ADSL was fine for almost a year until a couple of months ago when two houses down they decided to turn their house into a neighborhood internet cafe... ever since my internet has for the most part been crap... when it works I walk by the cafe and its empty when it stops working/working really slow I walk by the cafe and its full...

And now that school is in summer it seams to be full of little kids all day long...

Thanks for the info.

Edited by MyphuketLife

I will contact my cable compan, and true...

The ADSL was fine for almost a year until a couple of months ago when two houses down they decided to turn their house into a neighborhood internet cafe... ever since my internet has for the most part been crap... when it works I walk by the cafe and its empty when it stops working/working really slow I walk by the cafe and its full...

And now that school is in summer it seams to be full of little kids all day long...

Thanks for the info.

That is such bad news - it really must get on your txts to have another house selfishly reck the quality of your life. I have often thought about buying a house in Thailand but I have had my own bad experiences of having to be forced to re-locate through selfish/arrogant/dangerous new neighbours who moved in a couple of years after I had started renting.

Is there no joy from the internet providers? Here in Chonburi, TOT provide a terrible service and all the locals advise to switching to TT&T which so far has really paid off. Do you have that option? You may want to consider it.

Would EVDO not be a better option for internet? Seems to be quite good in Phuket from what i read....

Can anyone confirm if EVDO is available everywhere on the island now even properties right on the beach that dont have ADSL? (or does this need to be in a new thread)

Would EVDO not be a better option for internet? Seems to be quite good in Phuket from what i read....

Can anyone confirm if EVDO is available everywhere on the island now even properties right on the beach that dont have ADSL? (or does this need to be in a new thread)

I've had EVDO for two years now. It's gotten progressively worse - especially over the past few weeks. Random disconnects, and poor signal strength (and I live within a line of sight of their tower). About 50% of the time, my browser issues an "Address not Found" error because the DNS servers take so long to respond to an address request. The modem I have is one of the older PCMCIA ones, not the newer USB model, which I hear is much better.

Most times, upload speeds are unbearable, although there are times when both the upload and download speeds are surprisingly good - but these instances are few and far between. During certain hours (8pm - 11pm, for example) the speed is extremely slow. I think this is more a case of ISP and backbone bandwidth being overloaded at these times, rather than a problem unique to EVDO.

Interestingly enough, we applied at TT&T to get Maxnet service, which required them to run a cable about 50 meters or so to our house (which we said we'd gladly pay for). After waiting about 3 weeks, we went back to the office to cancel the order since it was taking so long. They acted like they never had any intention of installing it in the first place!

Interestingly enough, we applied at TT&T to get Maxnet service, which required them to run a cable about 50 meters or so to our house (which we said we'd gladly pay for). After waiting about 3 weeks, we went back to the office to cancel the order since it was taking so long. They acted like they never had any intention of installing it in the first place!

Didnt you offer the engineer a bribe ??

Seems standard practice for TT&T..

I've had EVDO for two years now. It's gotten progressively worse - especially over the past few weeks. Random disconnects, and poor signal strength (and I live within a line of sight of their tower). About 50% of the time, my browser issues an "Address not Found" error because the DNS servers take so long to respond to an address request. The modem I have is one of the older PCMCIA ones, not the newer USB model, which I hear is much better.

Most times, upload speeds are unbearable, although there are times when both the upload and download speeds are surprisingly good - but these instances are few and far between. During certain hours (8pm - 11pm, for example) the speed is extremely slow. I think this is more a case of ISP and backbone bandwidth being overloaded at these times, rather than a problem unique to EVDO.

Your slow times sound far better than mine... Where did you buy the EVDO card from? and what are the monthly fees for access?

Thank You!

Didnt you offer the engineer a bribe ??

Seems standard practice for TT&T..

The first time we talked to them to see if they could do the install, I fully expected to have to offer up some tea money. Instead, the guy said he knew exactly where our house was, as they had just finished another installation at our neighbors' 50m away. Said it would be easy to do. At the time, we were going out of town, so we said we'd be back in a couple weeks to place the order since we wanted to be home when they did it. When we returned, a different guy (not nearly as knowledgeable or helpful as the other guy) took the order, but I suspect he just filed it in the trash. He never even hinted at needing a little something to grease the wheels, which is why I was so surprised when we followed up and nobody knew anything about the order.

Your slow times sound far better than mine... Where did you buy the EVDO card from? and what are the monthly fees for access?

Thank You!

CAT sells the EVDO cards (at a very steep premium). I believe that they are preconfigured with a CAT sim, which is why you have to buy it from CAT. I paid 12,000 baht for mine (but the same card sells in the US for about 2,000 baht for use on other networks).

Not sure if they even sell the PCMCIA version any more, but for sure they sell the newer USB version. Not sure of the current price, but I believe they're continuing to price gouge on these. I've read other posts that indicate that they have a bulletin board in the office (Patong, new Sai 3 road) where people have listed their cards for sale. If you buy a second hand one, the seller can apparently transfer his account to the buyer.

The service is about 630 baht/month including tax, which is about the same as the basic 3MB Maxnet service (figure on a little over 1,000/mo for the "premium" 3MB service). Given a choice, I'd go with Maxnet based upon what others have reported.

Well I reckon TT&T is great.. I live way out the back of beyond.. Everyone told me lines would be a major problem.. TOT wanted to auction me a number etc etc.. I told the landlord he had to fit an ADSL capable line or I couldnt move in.

TT&T were round the next day.. a line would be 'found' for me from the exchange for 7500.. And they ran a good few hundred meters of phone cabling from way way out the estate to my house for another 7500.. 48 hours later I had Maxnet premier which performs just as they say it would.. solid speed as advertised measured from west coast stateside. There was a bit of a problem with disconnects, I called the enginner and he was round that evening made some measurements to my line db signal loss, next day had his engineer mate at the central exchange tune my line and its been without a minutes signal loss in a year. My electric cuts off more then my internet.

So yes it cost 15k of my landlords money.. After suffering for years with lines up and down every half hour.. hel_l it was it worth it !!

Hallo, as much as I agree to some slow services here in Phuket, I have - at least in my case here in Patong - to defend TT & T. I applied for a line and they offered me a computer line (no telephone!). That was o.k. for me. Installation within 4 days, technician could not find my address but called and we met.

Apparently TT & T has some sort of promotion right now. As far as I can read their leaflet: Broadband Internet, Maxnet Indy 3 Mb (3072/512) THB 590 (plus tax). Cost of installation (new cable) abt. THB 600 (including router).