Thai Visas: It's All Very Confusing -

I'm 59 - USA citizen and and after visiting recently, am seriously thinking of moving to Thailandfor the ease of living. I can meet the money requirements for the initial move - 800k Baht and enough to live on per Thai requirements. If I want to start a small business -eg: interrnet cafe or such, which type of visa should I Initially apply for or is it something i can change once i am there with the extensions (1 yr) on my visa?

Where is some info on how outside income (US) is taxed in Thailand?

Thanks in advance

Spider :o

I'm 59 - USA citizen and and after visiting recently, am seriously thinking of moving to Thailandfor the ease of living. I can meet the money requirements for the initial move - 800k Baht and enough to live on per Thai requirements. If I want to start a small business -eg: interrnet cafe or such, which type of visa should I Initially  apply for or is it something i can change once i am there with the extensions (1 yr) on my visa?

Thanks in advance

You have a dilemma. You need to decide whether you are going to pursue retirement or business. Why not have a chat with someone like Sunbelt Asia. That'll get you on track.

I'm 59 - USA citizen and and after visiting recently, am seriously thinking of moving to Thailandfor the ease of living. I can meet the money requirements for the initial move - 800k Baht and enough to live on per Thai requirements. If I want to start a small business -eg: interrnet cafe or such, which type of visa should I Initially  apply for or is it something i can change once i am there with the extensions (1 yr) on my visa?

Thanks in advance

Since you mentioned internet cafe as a small business idea, take a look at this recent thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...871&hl=internet

May I also suggest that you do as I did and spend a few days looking through at least both the visas and jobs/business sections on this forum - you'll get a very good appreciation of what kind of factors you need to consider. And yes, after that, you should probably consult with Sunbelt Asia or Indo-Siam - they both have very good info on their websites which will repay reading while you consider options.

It is one or the other.

If you have a retirement visa you cannot work as well.

If you have a business "B" visa you need to meet all the requirements for that visa, income level etc.

I would suggest retirement, then start a little business on the Internet that keeps you working, but does not appear on the Thai skyline as job.

Outside income is only taxed if you bring it into Thailand in the current year that you earn it, and it has not already been taxed overseas.

Many countries have dual tax agreements with Thailand to cover such situations.

I am pretty sure a US pension will not be liable for tax again here in Thailand.