Expats: Are You Leaving Town To Avoid Songkran?

Jingthing

Expats: Are you leaving town to avoid Songkran?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although I didn't purposely leave Thailand to avoid Songkran, I also didn't stick around either. I COULD have stayed another 2 weeks in Thailand before going home to Canada for 7 months, but I just didn't want to deal with all the crazyness for such a long period of time. If it was a one or two day thing then I would have stuck around. It just seems that Songkran has turned into something for the thugs to beat on people legally instead of being a fun holiday like Loi Katong in November.

Chiang Mai is the wildest and the large number of Thais keep it somewhat mellow. Pattaya is full of farang dirtbags looking to piss you off.

Chiang Mai is best!

On the head the nail you have hit.

I was due back in Thailand (Pattaya) just before Songkran but booked myself out again to VN.

Then my company extended my contract until end April so I'll come to Thailand early May then on to VN at my leisure.

If I had to be in Thailand for Songkran I'd probably choose Chiang Mai, in fact I'd choose anywhere but not Pattaya.

It used to be fun there but over the last 12 or so years has gone steadily down the pan to the point that when the main day arrives I am sick of it. There used to be a modicom of respect and if you said no then people just left it at a gentle sprinkle now you don't even get the choice. Okay on the main day that's the fun of it but for the week or so preceeding you have to plan any excursion around the, mainly farang, idiots and it gets <deleted>' boring.

I'm leaving Thailand for the entire time, but its coincidental really. I'm not leaving in order to avoid Songkran, but my company is shut down for this entire week, and its a paid holiday, so I can get in a return visit to the US without having to use up my own vacation/personal days. I'd like to stick around and see what its all about, but unfortunately won't get back until really really late on the night of the 19th.

Pattaya is clearly the worst place for Songkran in Thailand, unless of course you are insane, in which case it is the best. So how will you cope?

WHO or WHAT is Songkran? :o

Its a Ukrainian singing festival but anyone can attend, except germans :D

Chiang Mai is the wildest and the large number of Thais keep it somewhat mellow. Pattaya is full of farang dirtbags looking to piss you off.

Chiang Mai is best!

Have you ever been in Pattaya for Songkran??? Tens, if not hundreds of thousands of Thais come on holiday from Bangkok and all over, probably outnumbering farangs by 40 or 50 to 1 (scientific guesstimate). Look at any photo of Songkran in Pattaya (there are plenty on this site) and count the number of Thais vs farangs. You do get farang enclaves such as soi 7/8 which should be avoided at all costs, but elsewhere the mayhem is being caused by the Thais.

I do agree a week is too long. I will probably venture into town on the 19th for a good old battle, but other than that stay around my moo baan where it is all about families and kids, and really quite civilised.

I've read many a thread about problems in Chiang Mai over Songkran in previous years. Personally I'd prefer sea water thrown at me rather than dirty moat water :o

Pattaya is clearly the worst place for Songkran in Thailand, unless of course you are insane, in which case it is the best. So how will you cope?

WHO or WHAT is Songkran? :D

singing in klingonese language is not acceptable? :o

WHO or WHAT is Songkran? :o

Songkran in Pattaya may be likened to a reign of terror when all brain activity is forbidden. The general populace gets to act like hooligans for a week and the police are nowhere to be seen - with good reason. Roads are blocked by the throng and it can take 90 minutes to travel along Sukhumvit from Thepprasit to BPH, a not amusing prospect with a sick child in the car.

The shaven headed tattooed tourist element found in the bar areas follow the example set by the natives, but then being brain dead, they would.

I've read many a thread about problems in Chiang Mai over Songkran in previous years. Personally I'd prefer sea water thrown at me rather than dirty moat water :o

They pump the moats out and fill them with clorinated water, right before Songkran.

Something that we have FEW of in Chiang Mai:

The shaven headed tattooed tourist element found in the bar areas..[of Pattaya]
Edited by Ulysses G.

WHO or WHAT is Songkran? :D

singing in klingonese language is not acceptable? :o

No so you will need to bring a kut'luch with you. Back on topic I am forced to go to Pattaya, been there done that doubt I will leave the safety of my hotel

Hello Philippines. Songkran is a great excuse to travel.

Same here - off to Angeles City (on the new Cebu Pacific BKK to Clark service - hope it's not cancelled) from the 11th till the 21st. Mind you, it's a bit of a busman's holiday!

Edited by eyebee

Will be in the UK until the 23rd.

Although I stayed during Songkran for the first 3 years, the last 4, I have retreated back to the UK, partly to avoid Songkran, and partly to see my father on his birthday. (90 this year)

During the first 3 years I remember having a few very close shaves on my bike and truck, and feel that driving in Pattaya during this mad week is not advisable. LOL.

M.

Chiang Mai is best!

Have you ever been in Pattaya for Songkran???

Personally I'd prefer sea water thrown at me rather than dirty moat water :o

Obviously you've little experience of Songkran in Pattaya. I have been sprayed with Pattaya seawater during Songkran and I can tell you, from personal experience, I'd rather get soaked with Chernobyl rainwater runoff.

every year same routine: Stock up frozen food and some crates of beer, lock the doors, do all the things you wanted to do at home but had no time for doing and peek out on the 19th to check whether the roads are dry.

Expect increased posting frequency during that time... :o

going for 2 weeks to America on the 8th. good timing. now i see Korea might launch a rocket that day as i stopover in tawain and the red shirts are planning a big demonstration that day.....hopefully not at the airport

maybe staying for songkran would be safer :o

I am not a big fan of Songkran. The first couple of years here it was fun, now it's a lot less so, but it's nice to have a holiday. I've spent Songkran in Pattaya, BKK and in Chiang Mai. I must say, CM was the most fun!

I live south of town in Huay Yai...will stock up on wine, beer, food and wait out the insanity...the wife will go off to get necessary supplies. No way I will venture into town during the bullshit season...I'm still pissed about the drunk foreigner who drenched me and my wife while riding the motorbike home with purchases from a store...It was after the holidays... My wife convinced me not to go back and take a piss in his mouth.

Relax and stay home. Hope lots of them kill each other.