Thin Client Networked Solution For Hotel Guestrooms

simon43

Following on from my webTV post that drew a dismal response, perhaps the best solution for providing in-room, interactive guest services, (eg tourist information, restaurant menu/ordering, kids' games etc), is to install thin clients in each guestroom that are linked to a central server etc.

So, how cheap can I buy thin clients in Thailand/Phuket c- and who sells them? I know that I could simply buy cheap, used 486 desktops from Pantip. However, they do not look very 'modern' are possible noisy (fan), and probably have an excessive power consumption.

I want a solution that is modern, stylish, physically small desktop footprint etc etc, and will not break my very small bank balance :o

Simon

People are only going to assume that you have internet access, either free or for a fee, with these computers and will spend maybe 3 seconds glancing at the services you are trying to sell them before trying to check their email. I've seen large hotels advertise their restaurants, etc., on the TV system, but I just don't see that "experience" successfully carrying over to a computer. Just print something out and make it look attractive and people will look through when they arrive.

If you're dead set on this idea, I did buy a small form factor HP for about 3k baht at Pantip. P4 1.8, 512MB, 40GB, CD. Very quiet, for now, which was a requirement since I have it running 24/7. Several places selling similar small desktops there and in Fortune, no idea about Phuket though.

I did see some small touch screens (around 12" I think) that might be good if you can develop a website or flash app with text, graphics, and buttons designed a bit large to accommodate it. The same place had very small desktop systems to go with the touch screens, I think they were Acer. They were about the size of 2 external HDD enclosures stack on top of one another. They had CD-ROM's so easy to get your distro of choice on there to run Firefox. The name of the place is uart on the 4th floor of Pantip.

Edited by surface

People are only going to assume that you have internet access, either free or for a fee, with these computers and will spend maybe 3 seconds glancing at the services you are trying to sell them before trying to check their email. I've seen large hotels advertise their restaurants, etc., on the TV system, but I just don't see that "experience" successfully carrying over to a computer. Just print something out and make it look attractive and people will look through when they arrive.

Seconded.

Better spend the money on a good English speaking concierge.

I have a complete solution comprising technical solution and business plan for an interactive hotel guest services information system including internet and movie on demand. If anyone is interested PM me.

Edited by sibeymai

Better spend the money on a good English speaking concierge.

An interesting suggestion, but not one that is likely tol drive up hotel revenues, (since I already have some English speaking staff).

Perhaps this post should be placed in the SME/business section and - prior to asking about thin clients -pose the question 'what value-added-services can a hotel offer to it's guests in order to increase the overall spend per guest'?

Googling would seem to suggest that an in-room interactive system can lead to a higher guest spend (eg, playing computer games when it's raining, ordering inroom meals from the inroom interactive system etc.

I'm not saying that I believe all this hype. But I can understand that a hotel guest with little else to do may be interested to play with the interactive system to order some premium moves on their TV etc.

Simon

I think an interactive screen could work well in a hotel or guesthouse if it was implemented in a *user friendly way*.

For example, the 'turning on the lights in your room' routine could include flipping the interactive display on. And if that display had some big buttons on it like 'order food' (and a mouse) you might be tempted to click and browse the menu. Strapping email and internet facilities to it would be a huge plus.

What I really hate about conventional 'set top box' systems is being forced to 'navigate' with some diabolically complicated remote control. Just turning the bloody thing on can be a headache. I spent last week in a hotel with such a system and just glancing at the instructions was enough to convince me that I couldn't be bothered using it.

I have never seen such a system implemented in a way that made me want to use it.

The worst was one where a PC also acted as the TV, complete with garbage Windows-software that didn't work properly. Every now and then I'd have to get up from the bed and mouse around to get the TV working again. You can imagine how much the wife loved that. PCs simply are not appliances and never will be. Or at least I have never seen one masquerade as appliance successfully.

One of the fancier boutique resort/spas in Chiang Mai has a system on the TV screen with all sorts of uninteresting options - it's a major drag when you have to flip through countless menus until you find what you want: Plain old dumb free cable TV.

If you want to sell food, I'd also go with the above posters and recommend making a nice menu. Same for other services like massage. If you charge for internet make it fast, there's nothing that pisses me off more than when I have to pay for internet and it's slow as a dog. I just gave 500 BHT to the Amari Ko Chang for 2 days internet access and I found it to be OK value because it was actually very fast and worked without a hitch. In some ways that's better than free but not working properly.

And that's my 2ct from my vast experience in staying in countless hotels and guesthouses in Thailand :o

As for the original question: I don't think it will work well enough to make people want to use it. If you do it, make it dead simple, and if it actually works, sell it to other hotels and make a killing, because I don't think there is a working system like that out there :D

what value-added-services can a hotel offer to it's guests in order to increase the overall spend per guest'?

That's exactly the reason we have developed the business model. No cost install for hotels and immediate increase in revenue. PM me.

Crushdepth is correct about the need to have a user-friendly interface/menu tec. Luckily, I write the server application myself, so I can make sure that it't totally customised and relevant to my own services that are offered.

The internet/wifi at my hotel is free. Just as a comment, I recently upgraded to TOT Diamond Cyber service which offers a claimed 4,000 kbps download speed for 790 baht a month. I'm getting 2,900 down/400 up for Thainet sites and 1,000 down, 300 up for internet sites. (Which seems quite reasonable...)

Simon

Following on from my webTV post that drew a dismal response, perhaps the best solution for providing in-room, interactive guest services, (eg tourist information, restaurant menu/ordering, kids' games etc), is to install thin clients in each guestroom that are linked to a central server etc.

So, how cheap can I buy thin clients in Thailand/Phuket c- and who sells them? I know that I could simply buy cheap, used 486 desktops from Pantip. However, they do not look very 'modern' are possible noisy (fan), and probably have an excessive power consumption.

I want a solution that is modern, stylish, physically small desktop footprint etc etc, and will not break my very small bank balance :o

Simon

IMO, what you need is just rock solid Internet access, better via LAN cable (availiable) in the room than wireless that requires registration and shits.

Most people would chose your establisment just for that. If not many now bring their laptops, more would if they know there is a reliable and fast connection.

No over-engineering would help you with hotel revenue.

A laminated menu in every room would do for food.

Anything else to sell- just exhibit the wares in one corner near the reception. People like to see and touch before buying.

With the movies on demand you may have to enter complicated contracts while most of the people coming to Thai are running away from the couch potato TV routine.

I would never ever use anything forced on me while on holidays.

I can give you a mind-spinning story and how it works, you would need a turn-key solution that may never pay off, even if done by a low cost supplier.

We know how it works and what it takes. Just click at cnn.com and you will be one of 2 million people clicking every minute, looking for whatever they are interested in. Humble me installed that system in Atlanta GA back in 2001.

My opinion - just continue being what you are - a boutique hotel + efficient Internet that your guests can use easily through their own devices.

Edited by think_too_mut

Asus EEE Box a desktop netbook about as big as a paperback. It will even fit on the back of a LCD screen.

a Nvidia Ion machine is close (april 10th )- designed to decode and playback 1080p

http://www.nvidia.com/object/sff_ion.html

Just as a comment, I recently upgraded to TOT Diamond Cyber service which offers a claimed 4,000 kbps download speed for 790 baht a month. I'm getting 2,900 down/400 up for Thainet sites and 1,000 down, 300 up for internet sites. (Which seems quite reasonable...)

Simon

do you traffic shape - it will ensure all users get useful internet ?

The worst was one where a PC also acted as the TV, complete with garbage Windows-software that didn't work properly. Every now and then I'd have to get up from the bed and mouse around to get the TV working again. You can imagine how much the wife loved that. PCs simply are not appliances and never will be. Or at least I have never seen one masquerade as appliance successfully.

Then you havent seen a well built one..

They can do this 100% and look and act like an appliance.. But it takes a fair amount of work.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it looks interesting to me.

Introducing Linksys by Cisco Media Hubs

You love your media, so treat it well. The Media Hub makes it easy to organize, access, and share your digital video, photos, and music — around your home and around the world. With massive capacity, intelligent aggregation, and media-optimized sharing and file-serving capabilities, it’s an ideal way to manage your material, enjoy your entertainment, and share your memories. Show your media how much you love it — give it a Hub.

post-38575-1239002031_thumb.png

Maybe you could work with that Phuket TV channel for content of things to do around the island. Load it up and let your guests enjoy. But not sure how you could monetize this business.

The price on amazon was USD 430 for a 1 terabyte machine or USD 350 for 500 gigabyte.

Good luck!

TheWalkingMan